Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

redgubbinz posted:

Happy International Workers' Day!

Da comrade it is good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Wrar posted:

Apparently I have an ear infection.

:smith:

Ear infections suck, hopefully they gave you the drops and it will clear up quickly.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

everdave posted:

Say hello to bio-degradable wiring harness! Never mind the rest of the car we make our wiring harnesses eco-friendly!

A few winters ago when it was stupid cold for months I had to have part of the wiring harness in a Golf GTI replaced because the rats had been at it. The plastic shroud is corn based and it seems they will eat it when there is nothing else available.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Firehouse is super cool and he should do it. I had similar ideas around an old transmission shop that had a huge office above it you could make a studio apartment and then have a bunch of lifts, tools and general man crap around. Probably not for those who want to spawn.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Dignitas Orbital Ltd. You heard it here first, folks.

Sign me up.

On a completely different note it seems I have adopted a petrol head who decided that student loans were not bad enough and saddled himself with $27k auto loan for a 27 year old R32 GTR, so 1 k per year the car is old. This kind of happened as he brought it to cars and coffee last weekend and it was in decent shape but you know 27 years old. Get talking about it and oh the 4wd system isn't working so I get him to pop the bonnet and yep the fuse is missing so that probably means someone in the past was trying to to slide the thing about. So that started an hour long odyssey where we go over everything end to end and make a list of all the things that need doing. The usual stuff like HICAS joints are hosed and good luck finding some in the US so told him to get a lockout bar for the time being and a bunch of the wires that sit near the hotside of the intercooler were fried which control the water temp sensor which is why his hot starting was hard, a bunch of little things.

So he doubles down gets sp,e the little things done and even gets a HICAS lockout bar shipped overnight so that problem is solved for now. After all that he drops the bomb that he isn't sure if he likes how it drives, feels slow and all that. It is down on power due to needing a new O2 sensor since there is one that sits above the turbos that gets killed with age but it runs ok just a little rich. So I get in and have him show me how he drives it. First thing first he is spending all his time concentrating on not driving over two lanes due to being RHD so we have to work on that and then he just being way to gentle with it. Progressively opening the throttle and not throwing it in corners. Get him to just start stamping on the throttle and steer where he wants to go and let the now functional 4wd system handle it. We start getting a little slide from the rare before the computer catches it and points the car right where you wanted it to go. He starts to get it and be more aggressive and the switch kind of clicks and he understands that it is a decently fast car not because it has huge power compared to modern cars but because it can carry so much speed through corners and just handles it for you. One more convert to the Cult of JDM.

I wake up about an hour ago and have 4 messages from the guy asking for recommendations on what modifications because he wants to make it a 10 second car now and be all :rice: probably won't like the answer of get the engine rebuilt first so it can handle any modifications reliably since it is his only car :v:

tldr: I help a kid fix his Skyline and show him the true joy of JDM GTROOO POWWWAAARRROOO

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

:psyduck: He took out a $27k loan for that :psyduck:

Yeah, I danced around that topic as chastising someone you don't really know for poor financial choices is a bit of a faux pas so I just tried to help him at least get the thing to a decent point. The prices for not just these but anything in Japan that can be imported to the US and has a bit of a cult following are really high right now and I don't think it is sustainable, especially once the R33s become legal to import. They made 40k+ R32 GTRs and there are always plenty available so once the initial rush has died off I expect the prices to come down a little. Personally once I have the space to start a collection of rust and faded dreams I will likely buy one already in the US with a title that has a blown engine since then I can make sure it is built how I want and have it preped for a single turbo conversion with a decent chunk more boost.

VVV I think they are doing a documentary on it right now, it is called Mega City One

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 11, 2017

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

For big power most go for a single larger turbo to replace the smaller twins due to ease of installation since you can get rid of a lot of clutter and most of the time you go for a top mount since the space where the standard twins usually go is pretty cramped. This is not just the case on RB26s but common on JZ and 13b upgrades as well. The twin turbo systems are great in theory but overly complicated and difficult to tune in comparison to a large single. Of course it is never as simple as that and there is a pretty good video and FAQ about twins vs singles on an RB26

http://motivedvd.com/motive/2015/07/31/rb26-twins-vs-single-mythbusted-frequently-asked-questions-and-statements/

The main outcome is use what is best for the application you have in mind. Want huge power for the drags? Large single top mount is the way to go.

By now a lot of people are replacing the original turbos due to age and the ceramic turbines having a habit of shattering due to vibrations when the bearings start to go which of course usually means your bottom end and valves are going to be screwed when all that crap is pulled through the engine. There are places that will take the standard turbo units and upgrade them to steel turbines and refresh everything which is what I would do if I wanted to keep a car as standard as possible while making it more reliable.

If it were me I would want my GTR to be drivable on the road with a little bit more power so would probably go for modern low mounts and keep it looking stock and refresh all the vacuum hoses and sensors so it is running as well as it can. If I rebuild the whole thing then I would upgrade the bottom end and then push some more boost through it and make a reliable 450-500 at most. Probably throw in an aftermarket Atessa AWD replacement controller

http://www.gtrusablog.com/2012/11/upgraded-and-programmable-attesa-from.html

Since the original R32 GTR one ran at 10hz which means it can be slow to react if you do start to lose it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

Repeat after me: Controls Engineer. Bot Master

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

IT is a terrible slog and I am glad I got out. Of course now I run a team of devs making a product which doesn't sound too different but it is infinitely better.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Cage posted:

How much do you make per hail?

Do you know how much a jizz mopper makes?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I hated university because I knew everything they were teaching me was decades out of date and I was just box ticking to get a degree to get a job to get experience to get a better job etc...

If you are pulling 50/h a week working to help pay for it then that is the main issue really. Just talk to your mother and thrash it out, she seems like a reasonable person who knows what it is like to start with a handicap in life and will want to minimize that for her children.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Enourmo posted:

being able to leave?

Just don't break any of a ton of dumb laws or get in debt so the police don't confiscate your passport and leave you stranded in the slums with no hope and you will be fine.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Do you have a brand new combine harvester?

But seriously, when I was younger, the only people I ever saw drinking cider fit one of those categories, and it's never lost the association for me.

My father drank himself to death on cheap cider, that is my cider story.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

I'm curious how a member of the LDS church finds himself signing up for an account on the something awful dot com forums. :v:

They like driving internet memes into the ground as well.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Someone I used to go around Europe with doing track days and what not was taking part in the Rev Run https://www.therevrun.com/ which in short is a 3 day road rally thing. This is what he drives

While driving in Germany he was pulled over by the Police who were waiting for the cars taking part to come by and started ticketing most of them for anything they could but for some of the more crazy ones, this car included, they issued orders for the car to be removed from the road as it is unsafe due to the ride height and canards due to pedestrian safety. So he is in the middle of Germany in a car the Police have said if they catch it on the road again they will confiscate and destroy. I guess they were not impressed with the meth injection and huge flames out the exhaust.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Well it is just character building old chap.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The answer is simple, just buy what you want and then make excuses after it arrives.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

My wife has a Tiguan and it is all she wants. I get whatever I want and tbh she is scared of driving anything that has even a sliver of performance.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

You forgot that is it both JDM and a Drift Project, worth the extra money above the scrap value.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Please show me an average millennial who can afford a $40,000 car

*slowly raises hand... thinks better of it*

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

So it seems to be that having kids is bad because it stops me having a dumb car. Good info to have.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I had to send out invites to people I never wanted to see and I knew would never come to the US for it because my mother didn't want to upset anyone. Some of those I had to invite include literal drug dealers and rapists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Remember when you could get cheap RX8s to drop in V8s? Well almost that time with the Toybaru.

• Locked thread