Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You Am I posted:

Why can't Americans pronounce Aluminium properly? :v:

Aluminium is a fake material for fiction writers. Aluminum, though, we can pronounce exactly as it's spelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

loving ceiling fan died in my bedroom, I gotta crank the ac like 5 degrees cooler to sleep comfortably.

Any quick hack things I can check to see if it's a simple fix, like a cap or something?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I dunno, it's weird. While it was running the other day it suddenly started making a loud buzzing noise (which it makes if I try to spin the blades with the power turned on) and coasted to a stop. If I touch the housing I can feel it vibrating, so the motor's trying to do something. Spins quiet when it's switched off so it's not bearings or anything.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Do apartments let you buy your own permanent fixtures, or is something that should go through maintenance? That's the only reason I asked at all; I'd rather avoid dropping money on a place I'm not in permanently.

E VV fan, this is a follow-up to my last posts

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 9, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IOwnCalculus posted:

I never made that connection and yet I am so glad that you just did.

I mean, is the world really a worse place for some VC jackasses losing their money?

Also, SpaceX is cool as gently caress.

same

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Double post for solar chat, I toured a guy's private car collection recently, he got a bunch of standalone solar panels to run his museum and then some, all built at great expense to cat 5 hurricane standards (because space coast). He produces like 15k excess kWh/mo, so he should be sitting pretty, right?

Turns out he didn't read the fine print, and he gets charged based on "peak demand". And he doesn't have any kind of battery bank. So basically even if he's producing a net power excess overall, he gets slapped with a monthly bill based on the power he draws when he turns the a/c on on the morning to prepare for tours, when the sun isn't up yet.

He of course turned this into a rant about getting screwed by pseudo-governmental utility companies and how solar is a con job, but the lesson I took away was "Read your loving contracts before you sign, dummy".

Cool cars, though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Adiabatic posted:

Also don't let the PID process and time domain / S domain / LaPlace transforms / diffeq scare you. That poo poo's all done with computers now and it's just filling in boxes at this point.

I guess that's why Vibrations and Controls is one class now at my school.

I failed it this semester due to mental health issues. :smith: At least I can retake it over summer, with one of the highest praised professors in the department; I had him for another class and would have passed it easy if it didn't have Vibes as a co-requisite.

Engineering school is hard, guys.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man, I was looking at getting cop style center caps for the car, but they're like $40-70 on ebay for a full set, and like another 50 for the chrome trim rings I want. Guess I'll live with the granny hubcaps for now.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

haha oh man

i did way worse this semester than i thought

lol

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Raluek posted:

you got a single B??? how will you ever survive

think a down a couplr

across the board

e: not gonna have another meltdown in here, relax everyone

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Nah I wouldn't give you beef over it after saying you had some mental health stuff go down man.

I just couldn't avoid the weed joke :3:

s'all good mang

i do gotta replace this av at some point tho. got an av cert burning a hole in my pocket, just haven't seen anything that strikes my fancy

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

gently caress I lied, e/n dump incoming

Financial aid officiant dropped again due to the same credit hour limit as before, no way they'll let me appeal it after this most recent semester. There goes any hope of pretending everything's fine, gotta go to mom if I wanna pay classes out of pocket and explain why. And then she'll question if I have what it takes to finish school, like she always has when things went wrong in the past, to which my only reply is I tried the blue collar life and found myself inadequate; this is my only hope.

I can feel poo poo starting to unravel, big time.

And of all days for it to come together. Happy mother's day! Your son's a useless lump.

/EN

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's not that they've been unforgiving so far, it's just that every setback like this pushes the generosity a little further and I don't know how much is left. Like stretching a rubber band and waiting for the snap.

But yeah two Ds and a straight up F, it's a real loving bad look.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I guess it's a side effect of hearing her war stories. She grew up dirt poor, her dad was an engineer for 40 years but between 7 kids they just barely scraped by. At 18 she was out on her own, working through accounting school at winn dixie (at the same university as me no less), then fighting the next 20 years to be taken seriously as a career woman in the 80s and 90s, all while having me and my sisters and divorcing my dad. Finally landed a good job around 2k, lost a ton of real estate value in 08 but still manages to have a mind boggling net worth, at least from my pov.

She literally bootstrapped herself from nothing to upper middle class. Next to that it feels like how loving dare I be so... mediocre.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rhyno posted:

SOMEONE JUST OFFERED ME A FREE PT CRUISER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

does that qualify as assault? you may have a case

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Against all odds I got some sleep and I'm feeling a little better. I know I can pull it out, was kinda just having a panic attack tbh.

Thanks for all the kinds words, you guys prove once again that you're good people.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I mostly want trim rings to avoid the murdered out look, kinda visually break up the mass of black.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I almost ripped the back of a pizza guy's car off pulling into a plaza earlier. I was coming off the mainroad which basically requires making a u-turn; I paused to make sure it was clear, then carried forward. Suddenly he loving guns backwards out of his spot it when it's too late for me to stop, like seriously if I hadn't been looking straight at him when he started moving I physically could not have reacted in time. We both slammed our brakes, came to a stop with me blocking him in, him a blond oval office hair away from my front fender. He tried aggressively waving me back until he realized there were like 4 cars behind me coming off the road (because that's how parking lot entrances work) , punched his roof and pulled back in so I could drive past.

Like, guy, I get your job makes you rush, but it's gonna be a shitload worse if you run into someone due to carelessness. If he'd been easing out of his spot when I turned I would have waited for him.'

Drivers R dum, news at 11.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

fridge corn posted:

i cant think of a single reason to go to dubai

being able to leave?

wait from what I've heard that's not a given nevermind

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CommieGIR posted:

Or be Athiest, like me, which is still largely a crime.

Atheist*

c'mon, son

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Right, go back to your nucular plants.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I love being able to watch rocket launches from my backyard.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

funny Star Wars parody posted:

i want it to be 30-34C all year round and i can't wait for global warming to make this even more possible

Just move to Florida

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

What if I made a rocket glider

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Unit built for a 20 amp circuit is tripping a 30 amp breaker.

Clearly this means the thermostat is using over 120 watts of power.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

120v x 20 = 2400 watts

But wait, there's more! It's a double pole breaker... 240v x 20 = 4800 watts. And since they had swapped it for a 30 amp.. 7200 watts. Through 12 gauge wire.

Also uh... the data plate on the ac does specify that it should be on a 30 amp circuit.

I was thinking of the "overcurrent" over 20, but yeah I left a zero off lol.

Even if the a/c runs at ~ 25 amps normally (assuming the 30 amp breaker spec is right), that's still 5 amps minimum the Nest has to draw to trip it. 5*120=600, so over half a kilowatt that they're blaming on the thermostat.

Incompetent fucks.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

beep-beep car is go posted:

I really hope the lager thing takes off, I really really like a good lager. I used to be an IPA guy back in the early 2000s, but now it's just nuts. I want to enjoy a beer, not be punished by it.

oh so you're too much of a PUSSY to handle REAL MAN BEER made with a HOP NUKE that PUNCHES YOU IN THE FACE WITH BITTERNESS?

(I prefer dark, malty beers myself)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I think he's just pre-emptively declaring Adiabetic's mod challenge failed and shut it down himself.

I've been having a rough week myself, and I'm trying to avoid that whole comparing-my-suffering-to-others' thing, but man I hope he does okay.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

InitialDave posted:

When I was at uni, they wanted us to make a multi-CD "jukebox" as a project. They were not happy when I read the requirements, and pointed out the cheapest, fastest way was to run X number (I think it was minimum 4) of off the shelf CD drives in parallel with a selector circuit.

They rewrote the spec to say it had to be a physical changeout of the disc for another in a single drive. Apparently optimising to minimise your team's work while technically doing what your told wasn't in the spirit of things. :laugh:

To be fair the latter is more scaleable. Same changer mechanism with a larger storage rack/more memory addresses, vs X complete readers.

I mean probably not for small numbers, but...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Door Frame posted:

Doctors should prescribe ultra high fat diets and borderline alcoholic behaviors to insomniacs. A caffeine (and R6:Siege) fueled night of insomnia had me miserable until I had queso fundido and a Little Sumpin'. Now it feels like I took benadryl

It's a tradeoff, alcohol supposedly reduces restful sleep.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well as a follow up to my little grades meltdown, it turns out that the classes I got Ds in will be good enough for me to graduate, so provided I do well in Vibrations this semester I can still graduate next spring. Registered for my senior design course already.

gently caress this is creeping up on me, feels like just yesterday I was walking back into the community college to go back to school after Sears turned out to be a garbage job. That was four years ago, I hadn't even settled on a major then.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Ds get degrees, motherfucker.

See that's the thing, my school's engineering department is slowly instituting a C or better policy for all prerequisite courses. So if you get a D in course 1, you technically passed, but if course 2 requires course 1 as a pre-req, you can't take 2 until you re-take 1.

The policy seems to be just behind my catalog year. So I can take Senior Design with a D in heat transfer, but starting next fall it'll have to be a C or better. I was afraid that it was already coming into effect for this fall and that I'd be caught out by it, but I finally heard back from my adviser and I'm good.

I fully endorse a D for Done mindset, but in my case it doesn't always apply.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

jammyozzy posted:

Whoever at AP Racing decided 7mm was a good nominal size for a fastener hole needs a slap. Make it 6 or 8 you jerks, we have a million studs that will fit those sizes laying about. :argh:

Sorry that's been pissing me off since last week. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

But mate the 7mm is slightly more optimal in size when designed in isolation!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

welp i'm 29 now, one more year and i can officially call myself Almost Old.

Now to figure out something I can do to celebrate that's low-budget and fits my lazy holiday mindset...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

cakesmith handyman posted:

It's back on like page 6 or 7

Archived, but here it is.

Someone should remake it or pin it in the Stupid Questions OP or something. Lotta good info organized clearly, would be a shame to lose it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

rdb posted:

Yeah, I will just post my poo poo in the stupid questions thread but I think it's probably a little more than a stupid question.

Are you having any actual symptoms?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Preoptopus posted:

After 5 years of busting my knuckles and bathing in oil im out. I started hating cars. I hated raping people in the wallet and flat out lying to them at request of my managers.. Working at a shop is the most toxic thing i have ever been apart of especially with little return. Starting in a new trade I know little about home renovation. Hopefully it's a more fulfilling career.

Welcome, friend. Join the brotherhood of "gently caress THIS poo poo" former mechanics.

Not a single person I went to auto school with is still in the trade, they're all salespeople of some flavor or another. At least in that field you get some return on your soul.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So some minor health issues my sister had been having are suddenly looking like they might be not so minor. She's having surgery tomorrow, and things could be serious. :ohdear:

I'm not a spiritual type normally, but any good vibes would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well looks like my sister's all right. It was a rapid growth cancerous mass, they think they got the whole thing. Some light chemo and she should be fine.

drat this has been a rough 12 hours.

• Locked thread