Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

gimpsuitjones posted:

Presumably everyone has seen

http://www.12-gaugegarage.com

Are underfloor car lifts a common thing? Because that seems like an awesome idea.

This guy made his own website? Good for him. I remember reading about that on GarageJournal.

I really like that lift too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I'd been ignoring the bathroom thread for a while because all the goons tripping over themselves to make the same 3 jokes had gotten old, but that was so worth it to go back and read the last few pages.

Secret MRA was not what I was expecting out of that thread.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's an accrued liability that increases outstanding debt. The less you have outstanding the better the P/L looks.

Mine is umm...... GG I'll probably be ordered to take September off. I think mine is about to broach 40 days.

And also... holy gently caress what the hell just happened in the USA???? I'm now prepared to believe the piss tape is real

We elected an orange pissbaby who literally cannot handle being told no, and he's too incompetent to subtly take down the republic.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I really like the idea of Solar roofing if only just for how well it blends in. I mean, I'd love to be able to generate my own power, and let's face it traditional solar panels are pretty ugly.

That being said, I can't imagine those tiles would be a real powerhouse. Being able to at least power the lights/small appliances/computers would be pretty nice, but I'm assuming you're still have to pay the power company for things llike running the AC or a pool pump or something.

Though I'm not shocked first gen tech is expensive and inefficient though.

Elon is a bit full of himself and his Hyperloop idea is dumb too.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 10, 2017

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

monsterzero posted:

Absolutely. It just a lot of bullshit to save 20% on your electricity bill. If it were my money, I'd put it towards insulation / airflow management and HVAC efficiency instead. That would benefit you year around instead of 4-6 months a year.

Yeah, having a properly built house that's properly sealed and insulated will help more than anything in the long run. Can't wait to build my own place.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Taking VC money and using it for making cool cars and science and rockets are good.

Hyperloops are dumb and bad.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Rhyno posted:

FREE T CRUISER

WHY

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So last fall, they swapped out the 20 amp breaker for a 30 amp... because it kept tripping. Still on the same 12 gauge wiring. Was, anyway, it did some self clearancing. Thankfully it was in conduit. Contactor was also welded closed. New wire pulled, new contactor. Breaker trips as soon as the ac is turned on now, instead of immediately.

... they're blaming the Nest for "pulling too much juice". Wait, what? :laffo:

Lol. Maintenance people are worthless. Especially apartment people. Like, how do people so inept get jobs doing this stuff?

I might just be extra salty though because guess who has to go clean up after these chucklefucks. :argh:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah there's no way a dinky residential unit like that is going to be pulling anywhere close to 30A while running. It'd probably be somewhere around 11-15A or lower. You can look on the sticker on the compressor (assuming it hasn't been bleached by the sun :v:) and it'll tell you the running amps and the lock rotor amps. But it sounds like that compressor was on it's way out anyways, if they had two caps in there that means one was a hard start kit, so this had been a long time coming.

Usually the issue you see with AC units and breakers is with the AHU, when people slap the biggest electric heaters that'll fit in the unit without considering the amp draw those things have.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So apparently the U.S. Government is much like STR's AC. Put together by idiots and melting down spectacularly tonight :stare:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Bajaha posted:

Coles notes for non U.S. Residents who don't really know who's who in the American political landscape?

In a nutshell:

Dep AG Rosenstein appointed a special prosecutor on his own authority without telling sessions or the white house

WaPo revealed recordings of Paul Ryan and McCarthy saying they thought Trump was a Russian plant, a full year ago

Turns out Flynn probably hosed over the Kurds and helped Isis because he was being paid by Turkey

And it turns out the Flynn thing was almost certainly known about by Trump and Pence.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

That is a tiny coil, lol

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

That's one of the many reasons I refuse to do Residential. People in general just don't want to fix or even think about the AC Until It Breaks and even then they want the cheapest repair possible

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So loving true. At least they're doing a full gut and replace; the only things that will be original will be the thermostat wires, refrigerant lines, and ducts.

Lol, I bet they're gonna put a 410 unit in without doing a flush. Or even checking if the line sizes are correct for the new unit, based on previous experiences.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I can guarantee the lines aren't getting changed - it won't really be possible without tearing the siding off the building and tearing out part of the ceiling (no attic). More than half of my building has Payne 410 units now, and they reused the original lines.

And yeah, they confirmed it'll be 410. Originally they were going to try and swap in a used R22 unit or braze in a new compressor, but the property manager told them to rip it all out.

Sims, turns out the label on the compressor wasn't completely sun bleached, I just couldn't get a good look at it without my glasses on. :downs: The old unit was a bit older than I thought... 2005, mfg by Copeland. Seems like it should have lasted a bit longer, but after seeing the poo poo they tore out, I'm glad they're replacing everything.

That's probably why it died is from lack of maintenance. I'm sure the outdoor coils are pretty clogged up as well.

That's what the main killer of compressor is is as lack of air flow

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I just have a drive from Tampa to Winter Park, over two and a half hours, just to tell somebody that the hinges on the bin door for their ice machine are rusty.

I might be a bit mad.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I talked to him a few days ago as well. I'm not sure what he's up to.

All he said was some more stuff about parasites and that he wasn't giving up on the Civic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The AC at the place I'm staying at is fuuuuuucked

Ever since it got super hot it just can't keep up. I did some preventive maintenance before the season started, but it's just gotten worse. The coils are disintegrating and it's just a lovely unit to begin with.
Last night it got up to 80* at around 5 and took until 11 to drop to 77"

Welp, time to quote the Landlord for a new unit! :V

• Locked thread