Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

slothrop posted:

For fucks sake. Ordered some boots over a month ago from eBay. Now there's a circlejerk of blame. Seller blames Customs, Customs blame Australia Post, AusPost blames the seller. I waited 1/2 and hour on the phone for AusPost to tell me gently caress all this morning and an hour and a 1/4 on hold with customs to get nothing out of them. What a bunch of cunts.

I just want these loving boots. God I hate everyone and everything.

Why are you worrying about it or chasing it? as a buyer on ebay you can just file a claim and they will almost instantly side with you and give you your money back.

Only way the seller is gonna win is if there is some proof of delivery for your house - but it sounds like its not made it to you?. The seller should know this and they should be the person sitting on hold or just claiming against their shipping insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Well done Rhyno!

I've never been to a gym but I think i need to start or to buy myself some kit for at home.

I've been using a fitbit for the past 18 months and have managed to do a minimum of 5k steps per day for most of that time (I did 9070 steps per day during april on average).
This however apparently isn't enough to counteract my sedentary computer janitor style life and the beer that i enjoy drinking and my belly seems to be growing :(

Is anybody else here using a fitbit? I want more fitbit friends! This week me, my sister and a mate did the fitbit workweek challenge and it was fun and got me out walking more! (and I'm in the lead by 2k with 1 hour left after a 3 mile hike thisafternoon!)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

It's odd that the desire to reach my daily goal on such a device was making me go for extra walks.

Speaking as someone who is now on a 35 day long daily goal hitting streak I know exactly how you feel!

I often sit on my arse all day working from home and I have a local walking route that is exactly 5k door-door and I am so used to that I can do it in the dark without thinking about where I am going or falling into any ditches.

I upped my daily goal to 6k recently and haven't yet settled into an easy 6k route but have found some nice good-weather routes this week, though none are likely suitable for the other 6 months of the year.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

You Am I posted:

Shut up newbies

Whatever newb :dong:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

drat, been a really long time since I heard of them. I think I saw them once in the late 90s?

I love it when this song comes on in the middle of the album.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I had to remove the brake booster from my saab today. Couldnt work out what to undo to remove it. Looked in the Haynes manual:

Haynes Manual posted:

Unscrew the mounting nuts and withdraw the servo unit

gently caress YOU HAYNES!

Ended up removing the servo together with the mounting bracket as one of the servo-bracket nuts is inaccessible. The Swede who designed the bracket was a dick.

Adiabatic posted:

Come up here we've got shitloads of work and no good people.

I would love to do some IT work in control/automation. Give me some work please Mr Adiabetic ;)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

meltie posted:

We're actively hiring for controls engineers and sysadmins, we're in the South Oxon countryside.

We're always on the lookout for people at any level of the stack between PLC engineer and FPGA dev through to python dev and linux-brains.

If you're a good problem-solver got some related experience, and are serious, shoot me a PM or a FB message.

Sadly I have no related experience. I just find playing with control and automation stuff interesting and would quite like to move out of little Britain.

I work around educational IT and am just finding it more and more depressing with every school I visit and the way that the system is run and funded is poo poo and only going to get worse.

InitialDave posted:

My favourite brake servos are the ones where the arrangement of the engine and other stuff in the bay means you can unbolt it in two minutes, but that fucker is never coming out without at least three other major components being removed first.

I always thought that they built cars round the heater box, but I now think they generally start with the heaterbox and the brake servo.

They could have taken out all the ballache with this one just by putting a small cut out at the bottom of the bracket so that you could reach the 4th nut without having to take the whole bracket out too.

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 11, 2017

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Probably about what I sold them for, TBH, but this way I didn't have to go weigh them in.

Ive got a set of awesome 80s gold Saab TRX spec alloys that I need to go weigh in as nobody wants to buy them and the tyres are too expensive; but having to do this makes me sad :(

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

You know you're getting :corsair: when you can insure 5 vehicles for under a grand

I spend more on road tax than insurance for my landies :corsair:

quote:

If it's an MTB, I'd recommend what are similar to BMX hardpack tyres, I used to use the DMR Moto RT, gives you the volume benefit of a "full size" MTB tyre but faster rolling.

Problem is, it's bloody hard finding a rigid fork nowadays.

My ancient MTB needs a new rear wheel (the bearings in it are hosed) and I was looking at trying to buy myself something slightly better but bikes are just too complicated and it's too hard so I'll probably just end up spending £40 on a new wheel to keep the lovely one working :(

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Large volume, tough carcass, tread that fits in with where you ride when not on gravel.

What tax? :smug:

Bastard. 101fc becomes free in 2018

quote:

26", 7 speed? Double check your dropout width and I can probably give you a freebie.

It is 26". Once I have looked up what the dropout width is I shall measure it!
It might be 7 speed but I only use like 5 of them because the gear change is too sloppy and I can't get them all....

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Brewdog do a good job of covering a wide range of tastes. I'm partial to Punk.

Punk is nice but doesn't really stand out to me. I forget what it is after the first one. Brewdog stuff is also far too expensive :(

I'm more a fan of dark ales/stouts/porters. I haven't managed to find the brewdog ones yet though. Have you?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Ordered a load of car parts off the internet from Germany. After 9 days I got them and some of them are wrong. gently caress.

Darchangel posted:

UK folks, I understand that you're upset that the USA stole your Brexit stupidity thunder by electing Trump, but please stop trying to top that:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/theresa-may-internet-conservatives-government-a7744176.html

I can't believe someone says poo poo like this out loud in front of people.

and lots of people keep voting for them :(

We have this already too - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investigatory_Powers_Act_2016#Authorities_allowed_to_access_Internet_connection_records . Check out the list of people who can look at my internet usage without a warrant already :(

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, I was seriously impressed, it's like a prototype unit or a piece of proper industrial kit, not a slightly poncy bit of consumer-grade kitchen equipment.

I thought that the tapered roller bearing on the press looked like a landrover wheel bearing. Looked up the part code (you can read it in the video) and it is in fact used as a Citroen/Trailer wheel bearing. Somewhat over engineered for a juicer ....

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Its a 3 day weekend here so I ordered paint and parts for my Saab.

The paint hasn't arrived despite supposedly being sent with a 24 hour courier on Thursday afternoon and I was at work when they tried to deliver the parts (and they ignored my "leave next door" instructions) and for some reason they left them at a postoffice. Not my local one that Is 1/4 of a mile away and open till 9pm every day but the one further away that closed at 5pm on friday and now isn't open until Tuesday :(

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Seminal Flu posted:

When it was voiced by George Carlin, it was the loving best.

It was narrated by Ringo Starr over here back in the 80's. I had no idea he didn't do the US version too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Fo3 posted:

I've been trying to replace the cat pipe on my falcon. no chance of getting the bolts off, and australia doesn't sell pb blaster, liquid wrench, or kroil retail, stuck with wd40 and selleys rp7 which do jack.

It looks from ebay/amazon like you can get PlusGas over there. I'm a recent convert to it but its good poo poo. Get some and put it on the shelf for next time you need it.

• Locked thread