Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

White wedding is the only song we need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You can probably get a cheapo plastic one wherever sells lawnmower parts and chuck one in. I know primeline for sure owns one.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm paid to be the rear end in a top hat that won't let you return something because its been in the bed of your truck for 2 months and looks like a pack of dogs tore the packaging apart.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Chop the springs to slam it on its nuts and camber the wheels out as much as possible with the stock suspension. Stanced pt cruiser.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Took the bumper off the 6 today and pulled the headlights out. Wiring is shot and shows evidence of previous repair attempts with electrical tape, highbeam buckets are warped so they won't go into place, wiring is cut apart for the daytime running lights, likely causing my short and they are out of a different 6 given that mine has foglight switching, fuses and wiring and these don't have the projectors for them. Going to a JY tomorrow that shows 2 6s with good condition headlights that I got quoted $41 a piece for. Better than the $650ish ea mazda quoted me under work pricing, $550 ea through work for good quality aftermarket ones, and 180ea for the same aftermarket ones through amazon (what the poo poo work). Heres to hoping they're still there, the best condition one arrived today.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Headlights are bodged together well enough that a 30 minute drive didn't pop em. Good e-loving nuff. Junkyard was a bust. Every 6 there had no headlights or they were smashed open. Got to the one in the back of the lot that arrived 2 days ago to find they had almosy brand loving new depo replacements! Except some gently caress had just ripped the wires for the lowbeams out of them and broken one of the lowbeam brackets in the process.

Otoh, I learned my new favorite thing. The allen head bolts some rear end in a top hat was using to hold the fresh unpainted bumper on were drilled straight through with nuts behind them with no way to access them. So I took a pair of tin snips from my bag to the bumper like a pair of scissors. So loving satisfying after so much friggin and farting changing headlights without damaging anything at work.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Bajaha posted:

Coles notes for non U.S. Residents who don't really know who's who in the American political landscape?

Basically...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

ExplodingSims posted:

In a nutshell:

Dep AG Rosenstein appointed a special prosecutor on his own authority without telling sessions or the white house

WaPo revealed recordings of Paul Ryan and McCarthy saying they thought Trump was a Russian plant, a full year ago

Turns out Flynn probably hosed over the Kurds and helped Isis because he was being paid by Turkey

And it turns out the Flynn thing was almost certainly known about by Trump and Pence.

And Trump tried pressuring comey into dropping the investigation into flynn, tried getting comey to swear loyalty to him and then fired comey when he did none of the above. We still execute idiots for treason, right?

Oh, also flynn didn't disclose he was paid half a million by turkey. At least until AFTER this investigation started. You have to disclose within 10 days of accepting such a job. He waited nearly a year. He's gonna squeal like a piggy. :getin:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

What fuuuuuuck. I didn't know he was 52... :(

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Cider is good, cream ale is good, whisky is good. All things in moderation.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

"God drat, I finally walk into a parts store and theres a man behind the counter, maybe you'll actually be able to help me! Every other one in town has some 16 year old little girl behind the counter who can't do poo poo."

No sir, I'm sure its them being incompetent, not your poo poo attitude causing them to do the minimum to help you. And fyi, I'm doing the minimum necessary until you leave my store, despite knowing half a dozen places that could custom fabricate what you want for cheap. gently caress off and die.

Edit: Also, know what loving year your poo poo is for sure and don't change it 3 times in 5 minutes. And don't argue when I tell you a 350 wasn't factory in those years. Fuckstain.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 20, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

DJ Commie posted:

We've all been every party in this scenario over the years, sadly enough.

Probably, but the guy was the perfect blend of stupid and rear end in a top hat. He swapped between it being a 62, 65 and 67 impala, didn't know what the 350 was out of, didn't know what to call the part to get across what he needed and generally wouldn't stop whining about nobody being able to help him in the 20 minutes I was talking to him. :commissar:

On the flip side though, I got to make a dude poo poo a brick this week. He called for a condenser on an '84 merc 380SL. Only one I could locate was just shy of $700 and 30 days shipping from germany. I could hear him start choking on his drink through the phone when I quoted the price. Mercedes themselves are the only ones I could find with a listing, even dedicated import and european parts houses I called were missing a listing for it. He wisely decided to maybe just clean the condenser he had up instead of buying a new one for his mini restoration of the car. It was even better than giving the quote for the $900 electric fuel pump for a vw type 4 that had to come from porsche. :haw:

Edit:

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Hah. The guy at NAPA today was pleased I had part numbers for things I had already checked were in-stock at that store.

I also ordered an alternator bracket tensioner bolt thing from the Toyota dealer yesterday, by part number over the phone. The parts guy asked which shop/account I was with, and got confused when I said "I'm just a guy..."

Local mazda dealer was confused how I had the oem part number for a single intake manifold bolt for my 6 when they couldn't find it. They had been trying to sell me a whole new manifold instead. I've kinda considered tossing them a resume next time they jokingly ask if I'm trying to take their job.

And customers coming in with pre-crossreferenced numbers is a blessing and a curse. If its right, you're golden. If its wrong, its still your fault for selling them the wrong poo poo. I've learned to always offer to double check.

Edit 2: Best feeling is when a customer holds up a part and before he can finish asking what it is, you rattle it off. Made the lady at the next register and my boss bust out a case of the giggles today doing just that with a dude bringing in a gm knock sensor.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 20, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rascal looks like he's contemplating the mysteries of dogge life. Or he saw a squirrel.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

... What the gently caress are you guys on over there in jolly ol'? That poo poo weirds me out and I live in Florida. :psyduck:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

BloodBag posted:

My parents' 2005 Mercedes CLK350 just popped a check engine light. I think the thing has less than 50K miles. I hope it's not the balance shaft gear, something that engine is known for. I'll go down and pull the codes this weekend. Any tips dealing with this old barge?

Vehicle fires are a good way to total a vehicle.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Literally everything that kooks had at wanna go fast in ocala was so ear shatteringly loud it would rattle your eye balls from 100+ft away. A++ would recommend.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Modus Man posted:

I really wish somebody would put on a half mile event in michigan, I would love to go watch. The last time somebody tried it years ago, there was some embezzling scandal or something like that that killed the whole thing.

Seems the closest one to michigan is in indiana. It was a really cool event though. Definately gonna go back next year.

Also worth mentioning that the official kooks 300c couldn't manage more than a burnout and a 0-60 pull without breaking. Sounded like god stepped on a plug when they were on it though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Today I spent ten hours and four trips to lowes getting the correct fittings to hook up my new tankless water heater and get rid of all the piping from the old one

My father in law helped and I learned a shitload about the American measurement system (its bad and so are fractions)

Now take npt, combine it with sae thread, throw in an and JIC fittings and metric thread and you have why I curl into a ball and weep when people bring in random fittings and ask to go from one thing to another. Oh and they need it today. The best was when a shop sent us a red anodized fitting a customer of theirs had brought in as part of a job on their car and asked wtf was up with it. It was loving british pipe thread.

Its been over 2 years and pipe thread will still make me grab an old timer for help.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Mis amigos es mi familia. I don't care if you consider yourself family, if you start poo poo with the the people I call friends, you will be the first person I fight. Aimt give no fucks, bottle of whisky and a dozen beers to the face or not.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

Well this sounds like a good story

We had a bonfire for memorial day and a very drunk/stoned family member was being an rear end to a friend of mine. They were having an arguement about ww2. :v:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

BigPaddy posted:

Remember when you could get cheap RX8s to drop in V8s? Well almost that time with the Toybaru.

You can still get cheap rx8s. Just not cheap enough. :(

• Locked thread