Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Rhyno posted:

Also going outside loving sucks and it is illegal to ride bikes on sidewalks here so you have to contend with cars which is not something I am willing to do.

No it doesn't. And riding on the sidewalk faster than about 7 mph is a great way to get hit by a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Hey well the dimples possibly help maintain a boundary layer and decrease drag. Just think of all those dents as "speed holes."

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

You could update/replace the drivetrain or browse for a new used bike. Depends on the budget. Your height and a link to a local craigslist would let us and/or the bike thread find you some options.

Chain, cassette, chainrings, brake pads, cables/housing, tires are going to be a pretty big chunk, especially if you just drop it off at a shop for all the work. If you shop around online for parts and do some things yourself it would save you some money. There are always decent tires on clearance somewhere and installing a cassette and chainrings is pretty easy. Then bring it to a shop for new cables and adjustment.

I just updated my drivetrain to 1x11 for about $250. I feel like that was a pretty good deal but I guess you can buy a whole decent used bike for that much.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I got out on a borrowed fat bike a few times this winter and getting one for myself is not really on the radar. You actually need pretty specific snow conditions for them to roll well and they are just heavy and slow everywhere else.

A cross/gravel-type bike might have some downsides for you. They have drop bars, and the tires can still be relatively narrow,. You are going to want to be riding on at least 40mm wide tires. That will be more comfortable, give you better grip off pavement, and be nicer to the wheels. So this does include some, but not all cross bikes (mine is for racing- has minimal tire clearance, narrow gearing, and low bars and a high seat). I don't usually suggest "hybrid" bikes but this for example might work out really well

https://www.raleighusa.com/redux-192

The main thing you don't want in a 500-1000 new bike is a front suspension fork (they are just dead weight at that level), or a ton of gears. The 1x drivetrains are simpler and shift better and have a wide range these days.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 16, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

rdb posted:

Also on the bike chat, I have something similar to that hybrid posted earlier, what specifically do you recommend for tires if I have to ride gravel? I have some skinny Michelin Road tires on it now and haven't touched it since moving because of that.

Gravel specific bikes and tires are all the rage right now so there are a ton of options. Mainly they have a fairly smooth center tread to roll well with some side knobs for cornering, and are wider than standard road tires. This is one of the original light off road touring tires:

http://clementcycling.com/xplor-mso

And named for my local airport. I use a few different Clements on my CX bike and like them quite a bit. WTB nano and riddler, a bunch of stuff by compass and panaracer are also good options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

eyebeem posted:

Eh. In an alternate universe my hourly rate would be less to compensate. That's how free market employment works.

Heh, I was getting paid a flat rate bi-weekly, and then out of nowhere the owner decided he wanted us clocking in/out which still makes no sense to me. Then got all pissy when I started leaving at 6 and never showing up on weekends...

• Locked thread