Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Thread's theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59r1KFPmT9U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Who the gently caress is Tom Waits?

Just when I was thinking there may be some hope for you... smh.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I live in the arse end of the world - how can you not concieve that I've never heard of this person before... or that I would have zero interest outside being incredulous that anyone would think it's possible I've never heard of them before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fju9o8BVJ8

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Goober Peas posted:

(i'm ribbing these guys and op a little. Dude needs to go to a trusted doctor for medical advice and not forums.somethingawful.com where everyone's credentials are dubious at best)

I assure you, sir, that my credentials are vouchsafed by heaven. No less.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KozmoNaut posted:

You're a good person. I don't know how else to express my appreciation for the fact that people like you exist in the world.

Exactly my thoughts. That's some tough poo poo to deal with for no money... Hell, that's​ some tough poo poo to deal with regardless.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sadly, it looks like the bathroom thread has run its course. Driven into the ground by the OP's stereotypical goony and unrecognized sexism, and another goon being a goon.

It was fun while it lasted. :toot:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Just got a personal property city tax of $1100. Maybe I should go back to old, beat-up cars.

How much did the Gorester or MR2 cost you?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno's trying to drop a couple dress sizes, he's gettin' married, y'know.

I'm not the best drywall worker. I learned about the magic of hot mud, but I either mix way too much and it sets up before I can use it, or not enough and I'm stuck having to clean everything up before I can mix more. :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Conversely, I'm just over here all like...

We just got a Duck Donuts near us. Are they remarkable in any way?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Kid chat. Move along.

oh my god, tiny (not really) babies! #3 arrived yesterday and everything is awesome. She's great, mom is great and we just came home a few hours ago. Im still freaking out trying to make sure I can hear her breathe while she's sleeping. And let's not go down the anxiety-laden hole that is "what if something happened to me or someone in my family?" I may need a therapist....

Anyways, it's great, I'm super stoked and she is awesome. :3:

Edit: also, you want a fitness routine? Watch the Barkley marathons on Netflix. :stare:

Woot! Congratulations.

Man, AI is getting old.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That dog is obscenely attractive.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

cakesmith handyman posted:

https://www.strava.com/activities/973975493/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1494099768

Poor cakesmith, thought of cadence and died.

I won't poo poo up the thread with these in the future, promise.

Metrics don't matter, you got out there and did it. Kudos given. Go do it again!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

angryrobots posted:

He's always been very difficult on the ground, aggressive. Not natural horse behaviour. We've sent him to training more than once but he's gotten steadily worse over the years. Wife has had him for 11 years and he was 18 (off the track thoroughbred).

Last week we had an indecent with him, and the choice was to wait for a really big accident, or make a pre emptive move. A lot of thought and a lot of other persons were asked before this decision was reached, with heavy heart.

Tough day. :(

Was that what happened with the fence incident?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

edit: holy poo poo, next week makes 12 years on SA. :corsair:

One of us is bad at math. I think it's you.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Well gently caress.

Lol. :regd06:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

financially racist posted:

hell no the svx fuckin rocks, i'd hope that's not a controversial opinion

You're either trolling, or haven't looked at them enough to see that their transmissions are fragile as hell and haven't been available for 15 years.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

financially racist posted:

lmao @ the thought of having one and not dropping a standard in it

though i guess that eliminates it being cheap so v:shobon:v

Yep. Cheap is eliminated, so is "luxury." So I guess you're left with... "car." Yep, that's an SVX.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm more concerned about the airbag light.

It really is a salvage title, his "trolling" claim was just backpedaling.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

funny Star Wars parody posted:

No there's a sensor under the passenger seat that I haven't bothered to reconnect :v:

I should mention that I did do a vin search and my car is IN FACT an orange title and I'm okay with that because I look forward to the sweet embrace of death (also because I'm getting a new car this summer)

So much backpedaling.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Holy gently caress, Tesla is on crack. They just announced pricing for their solar roof shingles... $21 per square FOOT for a 35% solar panel house, they say that homes could go to 70% solar panel, so the price could nearly double.

The cost for regular, "decent" shingles? Menards has Owens Corning dimensional shingles for $75 per SQUARE. A square is 100 square feet...

That Tesla price is staggeringly expensive and not a viable product.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-tesla-solar-roof-costs-2017-5

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

At my wedding, I cracked 400 glowsticks and stuffed them up my sleeves when Bohemian Rhapsody started playing.
When the guitars kicked in, I did the swirling arms air guitar move and the glowsticks flung wildly out my sleeve like bullets from a machine gun.

I mean, people pay $50/sqft for floors... I don't see why those same people wouldn't consider spending half as much on a money making roof.

(There's a LOT more roof on many houses than there is flooring.)

Elon Musk is a giant turd and I hope his business fails

From this chart, it already is (except for the one quarter where they cooked the gently caress out of the books). Wall Street just has a giant chub for Tesla. It's going to bring us all down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

monsterzero posted:

Solar is such a meh* thing. Between getting harassed by installers every time I go to Home Depot or Costco, and having to be tactful when friends bring up installing it, I can't wait for the market to reach saturation and the bubble to burst. It's much ado about very little, propped up by eco-status-signaling, subsidies and financing schemes.

*molten salt and off grid excluded. That shits coo.

I want solar to be a thing. but it's still just a bit too far in the future.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also, SpaceX is cool as gently caress.

No argument there.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Take a lesson in P/L becuase you sound like one of those idiots

Take that righteous attitude and gently caress right off.

And just wait until their "$35k car" hits the market that you can't touch for under $60k, and their production hits a solid 1/3 of what they've promised.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No, I drat well wont. You are the one who is posting complete crap and you got called out for it. So again I will put it bluntly - learn how to read a real P/L before sprouting the same poo poo short sellers have been trying to pedal.

The absolute worse anyone can say about Tesla's promises is that they deliver 1- 3 years later than they think they can. So yes actually, there is every likelihood they will deliver what they have said they will given their track record and they have a very viable business in the middle of a huge expansion.

You've said a lot of really stupid things over the years, and I've never taken it to a personal name-calling level. I thought you were better than that.

I guess I was wrong.

:fuckoff:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ExplodingSims posted:

Hyperloops are dumb and bad.

But high speed rail is awesome and we are losing to the Chinese so bad with our infrastructure.

China has more than 10,000 miles of high speed rail. I had a buddy over there a couple months back and he sent me pictures from a train he was on... with the train's in-car display showing almost 300kph. :stare:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

spog posted:

They tend to run them without the safety features installed.

That was 6 years ago... It's not like a high speed demolition derby over there...

And that's kinda the point... We're sitting back and mocking and they are putting high speed rail and renewables on the menu.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

gently caress SPACE

On the floor.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Right, but if a highspeed train crashes in China and your Uncle is killed you will probably get drunk and smoke a cigarette and go to work the next morning (at the highspeed-train railswitch factory). If a highspeed train crashes in the US and your Uncle is killed, you will immediately retain a lawyer(s), create a class-action lawsuit and sue any corporate entity who ever touched that train into oblivion.

The Industrial Revolution only happened because lawsuits weren't A Thing at the time.

China is blowing many other Western countries away with their technological and infrastructure advancements. That is going to put them in a much better position in the future. They have enough high speed rail to cross the US with almost 4 separate routes. They are abandoning coal to pursue renewables.

Yes, their workplace protection is absolutely lacking. But you cannot point to that as a moral outrage unless you do not buy anything imported from China made with those same near-slaves.

We are all culpable -- with stupid-cheap tools, electronics, toys, things, etc. -- because we willingly engage in buying those things that we KNOW are made by people that are unfairly toiling.

We are living a good life on the backs of millions of Chinese workers. At least their country is using some of that labor to advance their civilization, too.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:drat:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tide posted:

Divorce finalized. I may have a date tonight. Weird feeling, man...

Liminal space is the best. Good luck with the date!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

angryrobots posted:

Ah, so this is a mechanical link on a spring loaded door? I was thinking of the electrical part of the same name.

Yep. Heat-activated mechanical link in fire protection talk, as opposed to the lovely fuse substitute in electrical talk.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

monsterzero posted:

Did they replace the valve cover bolts/integral washers? I guess the washers compress over time (they're a layered metal and rubber) and when you re-use then they bottom out on the threads without loading the valve cover fully. I've heard that as the reason that so many 1mzs leak from the valve cover.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

It does seem like the 1MZ is very leak prone.

The valve cover bolts are the problem. Just adding a washer to each bolt sealed mine up. I got a new gasket set, but when I got the front cover off, the gasket was newer and good. The integral washer that monsterzero pointed out were the issue.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Enourmo posted:

Against all odds I got some sleep and I'm feeling a little better. I know I can pull it out, was kinda just having a panic attack tbh.

Thanks for all the kinds words, you guys prove once again that you're good people.

A lot of people go through bad semesters. My first semester I pulled a solid 1.8 GPA. After that, I realized that it was time to put on my big boy pants and I hardened the gently caress up. From that point on, I pulled almost straight As and ended up cum laude in undergrad.

So basically, your loving around time is spent. Time to shake it off, harden the gently caress up and do the work!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

angryrobots posted:

Got my "loan paid in full" notice from the bank yesterday, on my wife's cr-v. Woop woop.

Unfortunately the letter was ambiguous about whether I would receive a title, or have to request it from the DMV. Car was purchased brand new, anybody know how this works?

In Ohio, I've received the title in the mail, with the lien signed off by the bank.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

cakesmith handyman posted:

Buck the trend, get full moon discs.

The only somewhat-modern car moons work on is the Roadmaster wagon.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Mash the left button. All the time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

LloydDobler posted:

That or I truly try my hand at PDR. I want to but I'm scared!

Get a door from a scrap yard and try first. PDR is tough to DIY learn. I have a nice and full set of PDR tools (about 70 pounds in a full gun case). I've read about theory, I've watched PDR people do the job. I've watched PDR people on youtube. I am fairly comfortable with the theory. But in practice... it takes a super-fine-tuned feel that is tough to pick up.

I've taken dings from noticeable to barely noticeable, and I've also made some more noticeable because I ended up with a bunch of high spots making the area a bit hilly. From what I've read, this is normal in the learning process, but certainly discouraging.

That's not to say "don't try it," but try it on something you don't care about. I'm slowly working on my Avalon which I give no shits about... so it's an ideal candidate.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yep, budget and purpose is important.

A $100 fix-up of your bike (chain tires, rear cassette) would make it ride-able and as good as it was before, but...

Newer bikes will have significant improvements, if your budget is $700-1200+.

You have to know some things about the different generations of (primarily) Shimano hardware and know what you're looking at. 9 speed is old. 10 speed is old, but still viable. 11 speed is new within the past 3 years. 10 speed bikes are the sweet spot for price/performance on the used market. Easy to find a sub-$1000 bike that will give you 85% of the performance of a brand new bike.

Basically -- what's your budget, and what's your comfort level with tinkering? There are a surprising number of tools to fully tear down/rebuild a bike, but $40 will get you to the "can do almost anything" threshold.

Rough roads / gravel speak to a cyclocross bike. They are amazingly capable, and very comfortable. My cross bike is within 1mph of my full-on road bike over 20 mile trips, but it's like riding a couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Siochain posted:

Cyclocross bikes look rad - kind of a road bike with fatter tires from what I can see? How about looking at a fat bike (solely asked because they look gnarly as hell)?

And thanks, all, appreciate it!

Cross bikes are rad. Similar to road frame geometry, but clearance between the stays for wider / fatter / knobbier tires and commensurate gearing. No real downside, other than a slightly lower speed per effort and a slower top speed compared to a road bike.

Fat bikes are largely gimmicks. They have their place for snow riding and showboating, but that's not what you seem to be looking for. They are extremely heavy and slow. It takes a lot of work to build momentum in something that heavy.

• Locked thread