Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Excuses. GG when I was in Indiana 11 years ago in winter there were cyclists out there. Hell I would have had no hesitation in throwing a leg over a bike.

Please try that up where I live in the winter :)

But seriously, if a dudes getting in shape, don't harp on'em - what works for one person might not work for the next. I love biking outside, but some days the weather is poo poo, I feel like bag, etc. Being able to hit a stationary bike (or, in my case, I'm getting back on the elliptical) indoors with some lovely TV on so I can zone out for 30-45 minutes works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

nm posted:

I don't want to go down this road too far, but up in the bike thread we have people in winnipeg riding year round, so.
Minneapolis also has a huge number of year round bike commuters. Takes a dash of htfu though.

Albeit horribly maintained, at least the streets in Winnipeg are maintained (I'm a Manitoban originally, now in NE Ontario). Its more that the 12 foot snowbanks on the side of the road leave it as single-lane and guys with plows are flying past at 60mph. Its loving dangerous enough in the summer when I have room to swerve.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Most days are 99% "taking grandma from the SNF (Skilled Nursing Facility) to the ED because she had an unwitnessed fall so the on-call physician requires a CT" calls, with the others sprinkled in. Today was just strange and lovely so I typed it out to cope and add to the chat thread post count. There have been many worse days, and there uave been many awesome days (like working turn 3 at PIR Saturday, as posted earlier).

The pay sucks, though, and since AMR has a monopoly, it is unlikely to change.

Vent away brother - EMT's are the unrecognized heroes of the first-responder trifecta. You guys are awesome - keep being awesome.

ps - come up to Canada, I think we pay our EMT's a LOT more.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

scuz posted:

Their wedding, their choice. If you're not friend enough to respect their wishes, it's probably better that you're not there :)

Yep, this. Also, gently caress weddings in general, but don't bring people to a party uninvited - especially a wedding.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

scuz posted:

Buddy invited me to tag along to the fire house. Expect photos (provided I can worm my way out of a department meeting).

The band is taking a road trip to Montreal and Toronto next week and I'm using it as a "huh, wonder if I could live here?" kind of trip.

gently caress yes you could. Montreal is amazing (Toronto's okay to, but, I like Montreal better).
Come for the healthcare, stay for the fact that everythings amazing!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

Shut up dude. Coming from a guy who openly felates Apple products your comments all sounds pretty loving shallow and stupid. Go for a run with your dog then drink a shower beer.

100% this. At least Musk is trying to do things that better humanity, and doesn't just shill the same poo poo every loving year to people who gobble it down.

All companies are poo poo, all tech is a rip off, BACK TO THE CAVES BITCHES.

ps its almost Friday thank our Lord and Savior Elon Musk, Electrified be his Name.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Better humanity in whose image? I for one don't wish to live in Elon Musk's twisted techno libertarian hellscape thank you very much

Better image than Steve Jobs/Tim Cook's apple-induced shitstorm. I mean, Musk is no Bill Gates, but trying to push renewable resources at a breakneck pace is absolutely bettering humanity. Hell, even if Gen 1 of his solar roof tiles are crap, someone (whether him or another crazy mad scientist-supporter) will do it properly/cheaper/etc.The dude is far from a savior, but he's at least trying. Comon Corn, you can troll better than this, I know your not a Trump supporter or some other dumb poo poo.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Turning 37, still wrangle computers/users. Its not bad. I'd like something else, but we're in a remote location with limited amounts of jobs available. Probably should start looking into some automation/control systems type poo poo and branch out at my current workplace.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Fitnesschat:

Bike people - I need to pick your brains. I have an old, old Trek 4300 (circa 1998/1999). Chain's shot, half the gears are missing teeth, brakes are shot, tires are...old and creaky. I put a LOT of miles on the old girl, and she got me fit once before (and then I graduated uni started working in a pizza joint and now I R balloon man again).

So - do I repair her up? Aluminum frame, fairly heavy duty, lots of miles. Or do I get something new.

And if I go new, I'd mostly be riding a mix of pavement/gravel - rough roads, but not much offroad. If I want to get back into that, I'd keep my Trek and fix her up again in a few years. I'd like to stick within a moderate budget, but hell, throw me some options/recommend me some websites that have decent reviews/etc. Its summer, its nice out, and my fat rear end needs to un-fat a bit.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Too many replies to quote (and my brains shot today).

Budget would be $500-$1000 Cdn - and I can go past that if its 100% worth it. I'd rather spend extra money to get a longer lifespan/better quality ride then cheap out. I paid good money for the Trek, and its lasted me a LONG loving time.
I'm give-or-take 6 feet (5'11'ish and change), 350lbs. Mostly lovely pavement/gravel'ish riding, I likely won't be hitting trails anytime soon. I'm okay with tinkering to some degree - its more a "how quick is it to mod" then "how hard", as I tend to not have a lot of contiguous timeslots and thus things sometimes get left 1/2 done and 6 months later I have ~no~ clue where I was on it.

Cyclocross bikes look rad - kind of a road bike with fatter tires from what I can see? How about looking at a fat bike (solely asked because they look gnarly as hell)?

I'm Canuckian, and in a relatively rural area, but Kijiji is our craigslist equivalent, and these two are the closest cities that have "dedicated" listings:

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-timmins/l1700238

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-north-bay/l1700243

I'll pull the Trek out this weekend, take some pics, and maybe get some advice - if I can fix it up for a hundred or two and keep it for off-road riding I might do that, and get a newer more road-friendly bike.

No urge for speed, more looking for comfort when I'm trying to shave my gut down.

And thanks, all, appreciate it!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Can we not argue about what voodoo is voodoo and what voodoo is actual for real voodoo?

Youdoo voodoo and I'll doo vootoo

Siochain
May 24, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

Cool. New page.

It seems people forgot who I used to be. Have a goddamned refresher.

http://imgur.com/a/PLUBi
http://imgur.com/a/kiF2c

Next time some people wanna talk some goddamn poo poo there will be third album full of csb's dick.

I wasn't talking poo poo, I swear - also, good to see you. Pop into IRC a bit man - miss shooting the poo poo with you.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

fridge corn posted:

they're thieves all the same, just of a different nature

Nah, most chavs on the street can't rob you for 15k or more in a single go like the Snap-On guy can.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Do you have a brand new combine harvester?

But seriously, when I was younger, the only people I ever saw drinking cider fit one of those categories, and it's never lost the association for me.

Good cider is delicious.
As is good beer - and hoppy beers rule, sorry to all of you who can't appreciate it ;) But I like good lagers, stouts, gently caress you name it - except bud. Sorry Bud likers, but you have terrible taste. That is the one beer I literally cannot drink - it tastes like my cats litterbox smells.

I also like scotch, caesar's, good rums, wine, port, brandy, and most other alcohols.

I'm also fat as gently caress and cutting back on bad habits, but, hey, nobody is perfect.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Despite the initial sales boost, the Switch isn't doing to hot either. My wife bough one at launch, and while she loved the new Zelda and loves the switch, the lack of launch titles is really killing her interest in it.

Switch rules - but yes, it needs more titles. With that being said, it gets more use than my gaming pc + pswhatever combined. I fuggin love it.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

before we got married my wife said that i could buy whatever car i wanted, so i started shopping for a Forester to convert into a sweet rear end Forester STi.

Turns out she meant any car but the Forester because it's ugly and she hates it.

So I was like ok, fine, whatever, and started shopping for a nice BMW.

Turns out it's too small for our lifestyle right now. I need a pickup truck so we can be spontaneous and buy furniture or 10 foot sections of pipe without having to ask the father in law to come help.

Ok, fine, so i start shopping for a pickup truck.

Turns out a modern pickup truck with decent miles for $15,000 is too expensive now that we're debt free why in the world would we want to go back into debt?!?!

I told her I will not be driving the Saturn this winter come hell or high water but based on my current track record I dont really think that's going to go the way that I'd like it to either.

Please do the needful, save money and buy truck outright. Then no debt :P

Or, other protip: small/medium car/suv with a tow hitch, then get a lightweight trailer for those emergency "Furniture or pipes for the dom/sub room" trips (I kid, I kid... :P ). I have a truck, and a trailer, and gently caress is the trailer ever the cats-rear end for a LOT of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Normally I would be down for this but my dad's neighbour is selling his 2014 GMC Sierra four door with 60k miles for $20k (ive never seen these that cheap) or for $15k if I give him my saturn as part of the deal (which is just such a silly good deal that I really should NOT pass it up)

But we just dropped about $10,000 cash on a new hot water heater, furnace, and goodies for turning the laundry room into The Dream Laundry Room so I can understand why she is stressing out about money but god damnnnn

Goddamn that's a deal and 3/4. poo poo. Price that out, show the wife, and perform gratuitous sexual favors on her until she relents. With the Saturn trade-in that approaches "not likely to be found again" levels of a deal.

• Locked thread