Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW1BIid8Osg

Some goon reactions:

MacheteZombie posted:

This was alright.

aBagorn posted:

It made people in the audience (as evidenced by people in this thread, including me) feel real feelings, which were organic and not calculated at all.

Yakmouth posted:

Even if the themes of the film are not expressed visually, they certainly appear through plot and dialogue

Detective No. 27 posted:

I have a fetish for gold women now.

Dexo posted:

Tony and Drax together should be amaaaaaazing.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
I felt the pacing was a little off in parts; there's just so much poo poo going on at all times, and at one point, it could have benefited from slowing down in order to make one of the character's abrupt change of heart a little more organic feeling.

It's very entertaining though, and I love how colorful it is. I saw it in 3D, and for once that actually felt worth the extra hassle of putting on 3D glasses on top of my normal glasses.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I have never heard an audience *gasp* quite so loud as at "It broke my heart to put that tumour in her head".

THAT is how you cement a heel turn.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Practically every character is an audience insert. Agreed on a few plot points hitting really hard but it was ultimately pretty cringy lol. How do you fail with the soundtrack/musical beats so hard?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Pretty disappointed myself - too much floaty action with easy unearned wins against hordes of mooks, and too many jokes that were driven into the ground. Drax just isn't particularly funny, Nebula's facial effects aren't good enough for all the screen time we spend on her desperately trying to emote through rubber, and the various plot turns just felt arbitrary. Gamora really needed something to do in this movie that wasn't rehashing the last one.

Characters who shouldn't have showed up this time: Yondu, Nebula, Groot.

I liked Ego's ship though, and the Sovereign and Ayesha were way more fun than they deserved to be as b-antagonists.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Is this a spoiler thread btw?

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

The only mistake I saw was the failure to use The Chain for the rest of the song.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

Breetai posted:

I have never heard an audience *gasp* quite so loud as at "It broke my heart to put that tumour in her head".

Oh yeah, that was pretty good.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Felt like the banter was too unnatural and excessive especially in the first half but the movie ended strongly. Wish they would go and add Cosmo to the group already

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Breetai posted:

My cinema had the exact same reaction.

I don't know, I think I'll enjoy it a lot more on my second viewing, only because my expectations were so high and it didn't quite deliver what I was hoping it would:

Specifically, I was hoping to see more of Ego's planetary form. Instead we got about 5 seconds and the rest was inside the core for a pretty by the book boss battle. Kurt Russell was great, and It's a bizarre thing to say that the film wasn't weird enough for me, but there we are.

I will say that I have never laughed so much in a theatre. 'You're beautiful...on the inside'

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Best part was the incredibly quick flash of Greg Henry.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I thought it was pretty good. Not as good as the first but that was never going to happen. Very very colourful and pretty of course. Opening bit basically tells you what to expect visual-wise. A big extra-dimensional tentacle monster that barfs rainbows is a cool thing to fight. No tiny space dinosaurs being punted across ancient ruins though.

Character-wise for a bunch of them it felt like they were pretty much the same but just turned up a bit. Like Drax is very blunt and Nebula is very angry and Rocket is an rear end in a top hat and so on. Think it worked better for some than others. I was expecting Baby Groot to outstay his welcome but he didn't in the end. Regular Groot was still better. Plus he emoted better when he was big. I guess they'd have had to do a whole load of zooming in on him as a little dude though. Drax was a bit hit or miss, he had some good bits but it felt like they were throwing a thousand jokes with him at the wall so some of them would have to stick.

Some very good stand-out moments, off the top of my head I liked

Quill making a giant Pac-Man to fight his dad was great. Lots of that bit really, like when Ego is all skeletony and reforming. Now I think of it, all the Celestial powers sorts of things.
Groot fetching all the wrong things that toe killed me
Taserface
David Hasslehoff
The Zune

One thing that really felt odd. When Rocket and Yondu are breaking out. It's a really cheery-feeling scene where they are just killing the poo poo out of people. It's really pretty too, the arrow zipping around with the cool trail and stuff and hey, it just killed like twenty dudes.

Fistboy
Oct 24, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Loved The Zune cause I still have the one I bought in 2007 and it still works perfectly.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
A Good Film. I didn't have high expectations, so maybe that helped.

Enjoyed the poo poo out of the fact that randomly Sylvester Stallone, Michelle Yeoh, Ving Rhames, and David Hasselhoff are all in this movie, and Hasselhoff is the actually important one.

And a couple of things on the during-credits scenes; I don't know the character very well, but since I know he's involved in all the Infinity Gems stuff, I presume the guy the Sovereign were building at the end is Adam Warlock?

And I'm really shocked one of the credits scenes wasn't an Avenger or two showing up to deal with the aftermath on Earth, and doing a "Huh we'll have to look into this poo poo going down in space I guess" bit.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm surprised to see a general air of negativity here. I really loved it. I was worried since with the first one I'd gone in with no expectations so it was bound to blow me away. This time I expected something good and it delivered.

Liked a lot of the emotional moments and I didn't think the jokes spoiled them at any time either, which is nice. The Stan Lee cameo was absolutely incredible and basically explained why he's in every film. I enjoy Drax being blunt, I could see why it might drain you after a while but I didn't get to that point.

I will say I had no idea that thing on Yondu's head controlled the pin. I missed that it lit up when I watched Guardians I guess.

Stallone is loving impossible to understand though, what a weird casting choice.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Taear posted:

I'm surprised to see a general air of negativity here.

It's a Marvel movie and this is CD. :ms:

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Saw it loved it below is some of the best moments for me.

Taserface
The Hoff
I'm mary poppins y'all
Groot getting the fin
Rocket and Yondu wrecking poo poo
700 jumps
Drax and Mantis's interactions

Overall the film did enough to keep what made the first one such a hit while expanding on the characters and their histories.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The movie must be really something when all the praise is so tepid and oddly desperate. You must enjoy it.

Rolling Stones posted:

Let's face it: No one gave half a drat about Guardians of the Galaxy before the bastard child of the Marvel Cinematic Universe hit the multiplex in 2014. Then we all effing loved it. So what if the comic book, created in 1969, felt like Avengers-lite on the page; on screen, it achieved a near-perfect comic lift-off, thanks to cowriter-director James Gunn throwing out the rulebook invented to protect major Hollywood investments and just letting the craziness rip. You could see that anarchic spirit in the now-iconic image of Chris Pratt, in his breakthrough performance as wannabe Star Lord Peter Quill, busting dance moves in space to an Awesome Mixtape of 1970's pop tunes. (It was left to him by his dying mom; we'll get to his dad in a second.) GotG scored a worldwide box-office jackpot of $773 million by showing us how throwaway charm and runaway silliness could be just the antidote to the usual Hollywood formula. There had to be a sequel.

[...]

Or you can banish all the psychological probing and just roll with the nonstop fun and games. Gunn never runs out of fresh funny business for the Guardians. There are monsters to vanquish (Abilisk, yikes!), hilarious bits to invent (Groot and the Death Button!), insults to fire off (Rocket to Quinn: "Hope daddy isn't as much of a dick as you are, orphan boy"), and more sequels to set up (look for Avengers: Infinity War next year). Remarkably, Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 still has the loosey-goosey feel of a rogue epic that the kids made when the grown-ups weren't watching. Only a turd blossom could resist it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I honestly think this movie had one of the most visually touching/sad moments any of these movies have ever had, and it's such a short moment too. Mantis feeling Drax's sorrow/pain at the loss of his family and just breaking down in tears whilst he sits there blank.

In general I think this movie managed to do emotion really well, compared to some of the other Marvel Movies. But that might just be me caring more about these characters.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I honestly think this movie had one of the most visually touching/sad moments any of these movies have ever had, and it's such a short moment too. Mantis feeling Drax's sorrow/pain at the loss of his family and just breaking down in tears whilst he sits there blank.

In general I think this movie managed to do emotion really well, compared to some of the other Marvel Movies. But that might just be me caring more about these characters.

Gunn is really good with those small moments, less so with the bigger ones. But he has an earnestness that I like.

Also, I had no idea that golden woman was Sophie Turner from GoT. She's better here than she was in that X-MEN movie.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Film was a lot of fun, colourful and had lots of heart. Not perfect, a bit long perhaps but I really did enjoy it. Ending was quite emotional.

That's my in-depth review!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, that Drax/Mantis moment was very sweet and well done.

I was a little disappointed by the writing. The effects, make-up, colors, all awesome, but the story was really tropey. How many times have we seen a guy with a mystery origin find his family, only it turns out they're secretly evil? Plus he gets into a fight with one of his friends who suspects something is going on... and then there's Gamora and Nebula's sisterly catharsis. All really old hat stuff. Apart from that, a lot of very unsubtle emotional stuff. Like, instead of using subtext, the characters pretty much just tell each other how they feel. The Drax/Mantis moment was subtle in a way most of the movie was not.

Still a really fun movie with great character actors.

DrVenkman posted:

Also, I had no idea that golden woman was Sophie Turner from GoT. She's better here than she was in that X-MEN movie.

That was Elizabeth Debicki. I don't think Sophie Turner was in this. She was really great as Ayesha though, hope she's in vol. 3 as well.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Yeah Ayesha was pretty much the highlight of the movie as far as characters go for me - the final scene with her was understated-funny in a way that the rest of the movie didn't hit for me.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

I actually ended up giving a poo poo about Yondu's death and the Ravagers turning up for his funeral. Part of it I'm sure was that it was all very pretty, but still, I felt genuinely moved for a guy who's basically a comedy sidekick.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I didn't love the first Guardians movie as much as some people, it was good but not among my favorite Marvel movies. This one was on par with the first movie.

The only real negative comment I have is that I really didn't like Ego. We never really got to see him as a planet, and the fight with Quill was boring.
I was vary about there being too much Yondu in the movie, since Michael Rooker is just one of James Gunn's favourite actors, but he played a nice role.
Pretty much every character had some really funny moments, but I also like that they got some character development, Drax especially.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I really didn't like Drax in this one. It felt like they took that meme about the autistic kid relating to him and tripled down on his personality.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Oddly I liked Drax (I say oddly because I can understand him grating on people... must be his infectious laugh for me)

also I disagree that Yondu shouldnt have shown up
you cant have a movie about dads without the surrogate dad

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I think Drax grated a bit in the beginning when it seemed he was trying to hard and laughing at everything, but later on it mellowed out. There were a few jokes that weren't funny and just got run into the ground, like Taserface, but these were few and far between. Liked it a lot, but not quite as good as the original GotG.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Taserface was one that I found way funnier in retrospect once I got home and discovered that it's an actual comics character.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The movie must be really something when all the praise is so tepid and oddly desperate. You must enjoy it.

I think it's less "You must enjoy it" and more "Of course you're going to enjoy it".

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Looking forward to seeing this movie that was carefully calculated to capture all the money.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
I thought the first third of this one was a lot worse than the first movie, but I was digging it by the end.

They went overboard early on with what I can only call fan service, with terrible Drax jokes and way too much Baby Groot.

Edit also: Time to buy up any Zunes you can find to resell them around halloween

Loutre fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 3, 2017

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Loutre posted:

I thought the first third of this one was a lot worse than the first movie, but I was digging it by the end.

They went overboard early on with what I can only call fan service, with terrible Drax jokes and way too much Baby Groot.

Edit also: Time to buy up any Zunes you can find to resell them around halloween

I think Groot was fine but because the beginning credits were so long it felt like he was in it loads.

Amazing use of 3D on them though, groot felt like he was walking around with us while other stuff happened really far away. One of the few times I've really NOTICED it in an IMAX film.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Taear posted:

I think Groot was fine but because the beginning credits were so long it felt like he was in it loads.

Amazing use of 3D on them though, groot felt like he was walking around with us while other stuff happened really far away. One of the few times I've really NOTICED it in an IMAX film.

That's fair. I think that kind of soured my view of the movie from the get-go. I can't really watch 3D so maybe would have helped.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Is there a giant sky-laser, or things fighting in the air during the finale in this one?

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
I really didn't like the film. Acceptable as a summer popcorn film I guess but pretty boring otherwise.

You could remove the Sovereign from the entire movie and it wouldn't really have any effect.

Quill doesn't really do anything of any substance.

Baby Groot was fine, but just over-used and again doesn't really do much. The bomb thing at the end felt like they were trying to write in things for him to do.

Gamora doesn't really do anything.

Drax was alright, had arguably the funniest lines.

Rocket was way more arseholey than I remembered from the first movie.

I know they have to save the galaxy because the clue's in the name, but I kinda wish they'd just focused on the personal element of the story rather than suddenly throwing in a universe-ending event, they're just getting boring because you know the heroes will save the day.

I posted a full review here if anyone's interested.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I liked it but the writing really was all over the place. Some was really good, some you saw coming a mile away or was just a boring trope that didn't work with the rest of the movie, much of the action could be removed with little effect on the story. But it had a ton of "genuine" moments that felt like they had been well thought out and planned while still feeling spontaneous.

I have no idea why Sylvester Stallone was anywhere near this movie though. Awful casting choice and felt shoe-horned into every scene he was in. With all those other actors from the 80s appearing that made his appearance even worse. Like you were expecting him to throw out a line from Rocky at any moment.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How big of a plot point is main character dude's dad showing up in the trailers? And how much of the best stuff was in the trailer?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

How big of a plot point is main character dude's dad showing up in the trailers? And how much of the best stuff was in the trailer?

Ego showing up is the entire plot of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

evilmiera posted:

I have no idea why Sylvester Stallone was anywhere near this movie though. Awful casting choice and felt shoe-horned into every scene he was in. With all those other actors from the 80s appearing that made his appearance even worse. Like you were expecting him to throw out a line from Rocky at any moment.
I think its because James Gunn always wanted Sly in one of his movies

• Locked thread