Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

Also, I had no idea that golden woman was Sophie Turner from GoT. She's better here than she was in that X-MEN movie.
That's some pretty terrible face blindness you've got.

Is it just me or is the joke that Drax makes to Peter at the beginning about Gamora not wanting someone pathetic like Peter directly copied from Guardians 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Movie was a nice ride through a funhouse that seemed to exist to explain then hastily remove complaints about the ending of Guardians vol 1.

The zune joke hit way to close to home in my three zune household.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Hopefully at some point Ego and Dormammu meet giant glowing face to giant glowing face.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Ego showing up is the entire plot of the movie.

Wait, Peter's mom hosed The Living Planet?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
My spoiler-y review:

The Drax-Mantis subplot should have been trimmed. Those two are just annoying. Mantis is wasted. You'd think her empathic powers were to be used as a device to explore the deeper hidden feelings of the cast, but she tells us nothing we don't already know. Star Lord has the hots for Gamora! Drax has a simplistic sense of humor!

Yondu's subplot is the real heart of the movie. Every time Yondu is on screen the movie is golden. I loved the backstory with the Ravagers -- they're pirate scum but like most scum they have some standards of decency. I love the chemistry between Rocket and Yondu. Yondu sees in Rocket a reflection of his younger self. In the first part of the movie, Rocket robs his customer of the very thing he was hired to protect, and Yondu was ostracized by the other Ravager captains for trafficking children.

The Yondu subplot is also great because it is the most unpredictable part of the movie. Everything that happens on Ego is totally predictable. A benefactor shows up to fulfill the hero's wildest desires... of course he's a devil in disguise! And I sensed the exact moment the revelation would hit: there's a quiet bit where Gamora is just moping around the planet doing nothing to advance plot, so Nebula shows up to fight Gamora and they end up underground, where they discover literal skeletons in Ego's metaphorical closet.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yondu is the heart of the movie, which is a shame he doesnt get more screen time.

The film is also all about Family and now I believe the key to making a billion dollars at the cinema is to have Vin Diesel and a cast of characters call each other family a bunch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Yondu is the heart of the movie, which is a shame he doesnt get more screen time.

The film is also all about Family and now I believe the key to making a billion dollars at the cinema is to have Vin Diesel and a cast of characters call each other family a bunch.

I await Vin Diesel as Supreme Lord Snoke's True Identity in Star Wars 9: Skywalker Family Reunion.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I await Vin Diesel as Supreme Lord Snoke's True Identity in Star Wars 9: Skywalker Family Reunion.

We arent Jedi, were family.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I enjoyed the movie for what it was, an actual adventure in the cosmic marvel and not an origin story.

Yes fellow Zune owners we are avenged! My 80GB still works and is still awesome!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Guys, Baby Groot took off a dude's thumb. Jesus christ.

I don't know if that's more terrifying than Yondu culling every rebel Ravager througout the entire ship.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 5, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

You know the phrase "in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king"? That's how I feel about the visuals in this movie. They're still not quite up to the level I'd like to see all summer blockbusters at, but I'm very impressed that Guardians 2 looks a million times less poopy than Your Average Marvel Movie. The use of color is really great, it has it's own rainbow scheme without just being neon (not that there's anything wrong with neon), and there are a few really good looking shots on Ego's planet. The planet looks genuinely alien, which is something that a lot of people *cough star wars cough* don't really work at in sci-fi movies.

The dialogue was the worst part. I said it when I saw the clip out of context but it didn't change when I saw it in context: the escape from the Sovereign world felt like someone wrote some filler dialogue that got filmed as a mistake or something. The actual best parts of the story were the little character moments, like Yondu and Rocket's bonding, Nebula in general (which surprised the gently caress out of me because I thought Karen Gillan was the worst part of the original), or Drax and Mantis talking about Drax's daughter. Guardians has a big problem with telling and not showing, but that moment in particular was understated and didn't take a hammer to your brain to make sure you got the point.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I honestly really enjoyed this movie. The full crew was given a change to breathe and interact and it's much better for it. Bautista stole a good number of scenes for me.

It was a fun movie with some obscure rear end Marvel stuff in it and had good heart. It reminded me that these movies can actually be enjoyable after grinding through Age of Ultron and Civil War.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I honestly think I like this movie better than the first one, or at least what I remember of it. Unlike Ronan, the villain is drat effective, and Peter's emotional arc throughout the film (along with others) was really well done. That scene where he and his dad were playing catch was pretty great. And also Yondu's death.

The weakest parts of this movie are the exposition dumps, some of which are pretty poorly done, but the rest of the movies makes up for those bits, and unlike the first movie the climax is pretty engrossing and not just an endless sequence of our heroes mowing down faceless grey mook after faceless grey mook.

Nebula and Gamora better be involved in taking down Thanos, whenever that happens.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Batista owns

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
1) There's nothing particularly wrong with this film, but it just seems like we saw more of the characters we already know, rather than a new side of them.

2) The most memorable shots in the movie are part of the North by Northwest homage and when Rocket's doing his thing in the trees.

3) I always thought the appeal of Groot was his SAVAGE SOLIPSISM, but I guess he really is just another comic-book mascot? The film has a noticeably warmer and fuzzier atmosphere, I guess; pretty sure the opening scene was tinted purple in post-production.

4) I have mixed feelings on the ball-of-energy toss scene is: was it supposed to be funny? I think others found it dramatic? I couldn't find the story interesting, honestly.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

beggar posted:

Batista owns

Exactly this.

Quite alot of negativity in this thread! The movie owned. Maybe wasn't as great as the first one, but that's natural for 2nd movies and I thought they did very well still making it a drat fun ride.

Batista needs more roles to be honest. Think he'd be more than capable on a solid TV show or action movie.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If we don't get a standalone movie with Stakar Ogord, Martinex, Charlie-27, Starhawk, Mainframe and Krugarr, then I will be sad. They set that right up on the tee and I expect more from that team.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The last like, 15 minutes of this movie wrecked me. Tears down my face kind of stuff. I really loved it. Adored even. loving hell.

I loved the imagery in this too. Everything about Ego, especially the reforming the body scene was pretty great as is Yondu's attack with his arrow. That was pretty drat incredible. Full of energy and really stylish imagery.

Maybe James Gunn films just click with me more than others because almost every beat in this film worked for me. Like the ball tossing scene. It's that right balance of sincerity, sweetness, and just being down right goofy as all hell. The amount of tones that are juggled in each scene are insane. But it just flows so well to me.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I mean, as soon as the focus turns to Yondu, the movie reveals itself and you can see the plot beats coming a mile away.

Michael Rooker was great in this though, he stole the show and you can tell they knew it too, they basically put him in the Costner role from Man of Steel in order to get the focus back onto the rest of the guardians in that last act.

Also, I love the reveal that whatever planet Ego would go to, he'd still look like Kurt Russell with feathered 70s hair when he was piping down all them alien girls.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 5, 2017

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Since the reviews/buzz started hitting last week and the word was that while it was very good but not as high a bar as the first (which is fine considering how high it hit AND still holds up; re-watched last night for the 5th time), I tempered my expectations a bit. When further word came that the group would quarrel and split during the movie, tempered further still (I love inter-character moments, not hostility).

Yeah, it's good and I'll definitely see it again. I'll rant about the one thing I truly hated in a sec. General thoughts:

-the opening banter pre-credits and title was great and ever since the first I really wanted a whole movie of stuff just like that, of the 5 of them on missions and jobs, getting in over their heads, bouncing off each other, etc. (Maybe next time, post-IW?) The credits focusing on dancing Groot was a cute gag but at the same time felt a bit too self-referential since we all loved the credit stinger last time. So of course here it is AGAIN, but significantly extended AND even directly references what it's already doing when Drax crash-lands! ...On the other hand, the last one opened on the same motif (series staple, perhaps?) and maybe this was Gunn saying "OK audience, let's get this out of our system now instead of waiting all movie for more dancing Groot since we know how much you want to see that again anyway."

-the first was as close to perfect a balance of light/dark as I can recall. This one is far more dark, which happens with sequels, but still. (Especially the ending shot...) Oddly enough, the prison and Knowhere locales featured make the first film feel grittier overall.

-if you know the comics, you know about King J'son of Spartax. Seems like any incarnation of Peter Quill has a jerk for a father figure. Poor guy. LOVED that montage right before "What's so bad about that?" of all the social bonding stuff we presume about but rarely or never see in these types of movies.

-no Glenn Close or John C. Reily? Boo! And boy, just like his role in Ratchet & Clank, Sly Stallone was almost reduced to a purely cameo appearance in this, wasn't he?

-It's kind of surprising that *that* happened to a major character like Yondu so soon. Just saying. Even so, certainly a big time payoff in the end and a good story arc. Guess they didn't want to stretch him out too much.

OK, rant time: I really hate how Rocket was such a loving rear end in a top hat in this story. He's supposed to be trigger-happy and rough around the edges; Quill's "bit of an a-hole but not 100% a dick" message from the first easily applies. Here he acts worse than ever and with more malicious stupidity than Drax in the first when he called Ronan.

-He totally fucks over the only family he's ever had with the theft (also a colossal rear end in a top hat move, especially after all these characters have been through together)
-plus it's not like he's desperately needing the money, what with being in a group now
-burns a bridge for everyone AND earns them lifetime hate AND almost gets everyone killed
-wrecks Quill's gift of a ship from the Nova Corps because of those actions plus his ego
-drat near bites off Mantis' fingers in an extra-aggressive out-of-character moment (it's well-established that he hates being referred to or treated like a savage vermin animal, so why act like one?)
-there's now an entire civilization that hates them and wants to kill them all thanks to his actions
-directly and indirectly causes Yondu's death

The prime narrative ending on his shedding of tears may be an indication that he realizes the latter and has guilt and thus character development, but even so, after the events of the first combined with the implied stuff that happens before, you'd think his arc would go forward into him becoming team tactician and maybe the conflict coming from being too assertive and demanding that the team follow his plans, not him degenerating back to selfish thieving crook mode.

Oh yeah, and according to the Adam Warlock stinger, the golds are now making a powerful life form dedicated to their destruction. Maybe AW's arc will be "Just because you created me doesn't mean I have to be your hitman!" a la The Iron Giant? And this winds up bringing them to the attention of Thanos, who takes the Gauntlet on a test run to their planet? Will their genocide be the only way they'll stop hunting the Guardians? Who knows, but it's all Rocket's fault and he didn't have to be written as such an rear end in a top hat.

At least the movie didn't end with the team furiously angered at him and kicking him out. That would've been too much of a downer, akin to Empire Strikes Back or Alien 3. Even if it set up a redemption arc you don't want to end your action-comedy that way.

Gonz posted:

If we don't get a standalone movie with Stakar Ogord, Martinex, Charlie-27, Starhawk, Mainframe and Krugarr, then I will be sad. They set that right up on the tee and I expect more from that team.

My first taste of GOTG was Jim Valentino's run, so throw Vance, Nikki and Talon (will of course will need a costume alteration unless they want to make a joke out of it) in there too.

Agent Escalus fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 5, 2017

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Pretty uneven movie for me. Act 1 and Act 2 really dragged in places, especially with the constant music montages, but Act 3 was goddamned amazing and triggered every emotion. Ego is probably the best Marvel villain yet, Kurt Russell was awesome and thankfully stopped just short of scenery-chewing, and thank GOD they finally created a villain that isn't just a palette swap of the hero.

It's not as good as the first but still a fun time.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Rocket stealing the Sovereign's batteries was a mistake, not just in a diegetic sense but in an exegetic one. He screwed over his own customer. After this, I can't imagine anyone wanting to hire the Guardians as mercenaries, even after they saved the universe. They may be feted as superheroes but nobody will want to hire them as mercenaries, so their careers should be effectively over. I don't know how the writers of the next installment are going to deal with this. The Guardians can't be mercenaries in Vol. 3, they have to be something else.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I lost it for a good five minutes when Ben Browder showed up as the Sovereign Admiral doing his best Peacekeeper accent.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I really hope there's a future movie payoff where Quill asks Tony if he has a Zune and he laughs at him.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Kurzon posted:

Rocket stealing the Sovereign's batteries was a mistake, not just in a diegetic sense but in an exegetic one. He screwed over his own customer. After this, I can't imagine anyone wanting to hire the Guardians as mercenaries, even after they saved the universe. They may be feted as superheroes but nobody will want to hire them as mercenaries, so their careers should be effectively over. I don't know how the writers of the next installment are going to deal with this. The Guardians can't be mercenaries in Vol. 3, they have to be something else.

rocket is a raccoon as much as he's a person. He's gonna steal things forever and ever and not even really understand it's bad to do that. There is still plenty of jobs you can hire him for, but he'll never not steal while doing them.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Kurzon posted:

Isn't there a scene where the one of Sovereign comment on how the High Priestess' single minded hunt for the Guardians are getting them in trouble with the Xandarians/Nova Corps? I imagine that with the Sovereign being as stuck up and isolated as they are nobody else knows what happened.

Speaking of the Soveriegn, I'm glad that they were kind of humanized somewhat beyond their initial aloof portrayal. Treating starfighter combat like an arcade game was a nice touch.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

rocket is a raccoon as much as he's a person. He's gonna steal things forever and ever and not even really understand it's bad to do that. There is still plenty of jobs you can hire him for, but he'll never not steal while doing them.

Yep

''What if I see something I want and it belongs to someone else?''
''That's stealing''
''What if I want it more than they do?''
''Still stealing''
''That doesn't follow, I want it MORE sir.''

Rocket being a dick who can't distinguish right from wrong is completely in character, and I really enjoyed his arc in the film. He can't get over the chip on his shoulder that he's a 3 foot tall lab rat, and lashes out at everyone because of it. I can totally buy that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

"Can I pet your puppy?"

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Marvel's face magic turning old celebrities keeps doing good. first Michael Douglas, now Kurt Russell

Ego was probably the best villain in a Marvel movie, a chill went down my spine when he said "It broke my heart to put that tumor in her head"

Really good movie, although I was disappointed that the music was somewhat forced, it didn't feel as organic to the film as the first one. Its disappointing, because there were some really good tracks on this list

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My audience gasped at that line you spoiled. Some lady went "what?" Right before that other character did.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Carlosologist posted:

Really good movie, although I was disappointed that the music was somewhat forced, it didn't feel as organic to the film as the first one. Its disappointing, because there were some really good tracks on this list

The Chain kicking on when Peter smashed Ego was pretty badass. And the whole plot revolved around Brandy. That said, it did feel like they let scenes run long so they could play more of the songs. I'm thinking specifically of the opening and Yondu's funeral.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

Marvel's face magic turning old celebrities keeps doing good. first Michael Douglas, now Kurt Russell

When they showed him in the car at the beginning I honestly thought they resurrected Robert Dzar for a second. The jawline looked pretty big.

And that line's not really a spoiler? Like I said, the movie telegraphs everything as soon as the focus pulls in on Yondu and once you realize the whole movie's going to be about fathers and surrogate fathers, you know where the swerve is going. The movie held no surprises, except for maybe seeing Yondu loving space hookers and Stan Lee clouted up with the Watchers.

The same people who gasped at the brain tumor reveal probably also gasped at the "father" reveal in Prometheus.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 5, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No one gasped at anything in Prometheus.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So was it better than 2005's Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
That's a low bar to clear.

But yes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So was it better than 2005's Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

Yes, but Baby Groot isn't as good a dancer as Sam Rockwell.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

howe_sam posted:

No one is as good a dancer as Sam Rockwell.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Just saw it, was pretty disappointed. Its a boring, disjointed movie.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I thought it was a bit more streamlined than the first (remember how pointless the Ronin/Thanos scenes were?) and was a fun, pretty movie.

3/4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Strange Matter posted:

That's a low bar to clear.

Actually surprisingly high. It easily beats out GOTG1 on direction, design, and cinematography.

• Locked thread