Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ruddiger posted:

When they showed him in the car at the beginning I honestly thought they resurrected Robert Dzar for a second. The jawline looked pretty big.

And that line's not really a spoiler? Like I said, the movie telegraphs everything as soon as the focus pulls in on Yondu and once you realize the whole movie's going to be about fathers and surrogate fathers, you know where the swerve is going. The movie held no surprises, except for maybe seeing Yondu loving space hookers and Stan Lee clouted up with the Watchers.

The same people who gasped at the brain tumor reveal probably also gasped at the "father" reveal in Prometheus.

Eh. You can see plot beats coming along and still not expect his father to literally have been the one to kill her. I wasn't expecting that particular beat even though I fully knew going into the movie from promo materials that Ego(also knowledge of the character from comics) was gonna be the main bad guy, Him being the one who gave her the tumor still caught me off guard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I just thought in gotg1 the tumor was a side effect of carrying an alien god baby

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Got this at the IMAX premiere last night.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

howe_sam posted:

The Chain kicking on when Peter smashed Ego was pretty badass. And the whole plot revolved around Brandy. That said, it did feel like they let scenes run long so they could play more of the songs. I'm thinking specifically of the opening and Yondu's funeral.

Father and Son is one of the best songs in the English language so Im pretty happy it didnt get truncated.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

This movie was MC's get moved from one place to another, and then their problems are solved incredibly easily.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Saw this today. I think I liked it better than the original, simply because it's so emotionally fulfilling on all aspects. I wept a few times, like a manly man.

Definitely wasn't expecting a huge emotional response to Michael Rooker's performance in the film. Loved that Yondu and Rocket were given a chance to share their fear of acceptance.

Some great moments:

"I'm Mary Poppins, Yo!" managed to be funny and also carry the weight of Star-Lord finally accepting Yondu as his father giving him respect and have a connection with him

I teared up at the Viking funeral and tribute to Yondu by his old friends and new family, set to Father & Son, which made me tear up big time.

Just overall great movie.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I really hated the young Kurt russel at the beginning. So lame

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Strange Matter posted:

I lost it for a good five minutes when Ben Browder showed up as the Sovereign Admiral doing his best Peacekeeper accent.

Not only was it great seeing him, he looks like he lost a ton of weight.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mr. F! posted:

I really hated the young Kurt russel at the beginning. So lame

Lmao.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
All I have to say is the comic book nerd in me really appreciated The Watchers making a cameo appearance because I figured they would be tied up with the F4 rights.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Is this a goony opinion to have?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If your going to have alot of characters then there just gonna talk alot of time for exposition. To explain why and what they are doing. It did seem like there was alot of just talking in the middle but it tied it all up together for the ending. I would watch it again. Plenty of action in the ending too.

Five after credit scenes, lol.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mr. F! posted:

Is this a goony opinion to have?

Nah, it's definitely an opinion held beyond goons, but it's definitely an esoteric opinion that, as technology gets better, is going to get more and more fringe.

It's no different than people who thought reviving Peter Cushing in the latest Star Wars movie was weird.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I too expect the families of long dead actors to have the ability after the death of the family member, to still use their likeness in films in the future.

Christopher Nolan will return to make The Dark Knight Returns, with Heath Ledger cgi face.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

MisterBibs posted:

Nah, it's definitely an opinion held beyond goons, but it's definitely an esoteric opinion that, as technology gets better, is going to get more and more fringe.

It's no different than people who thought reviving Peter Cushing in the latest Star Wars movie was weird.

I mean I could definitely see that, and I think it's lame that instead of cleverly writing around that type of thing we just use technology to do it because it's easier.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mr. F! posted:

I mean I could definitely see that, and I think it's lame that instead of cleverly writing around that type of thing we just use technology to do it because it's easier.

Eh, the ways filmmakers have been doing that sort of thing (not depicting scenes involving the character, not having them in scenes they otherwise should've been in, hiding the fact that there's a New Actor, recasting in the hopes that the New Actor looks like the Old Actor, whatever) have been done to death out of necessity. It wasn't clever to do those things, it's all they could do. It's always been what it's always been: a way to try and work around not having the Old Actor that winds up screaming PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE FACT THAT WE DON'T HAVE THAT GUY AROUND.

Now, if they want a scene with 70s Kurt Russell with his wonderful 70s hair, they can do it.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Great movie, Kurt Russell is really good after all these years, I hope the movie kicks a lot of rear end at the box office

:rip: to poor arrow whistling man, he was really drat good
And Howard the Duck returns, A+++

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Kurzon posted:

Rocket stealing the Sovereign's batteries was a mistake, not just in a diegetic sense but in an exegetic one.
What the gently caress are you talking about? Get the gently caress out of here

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

CelticPredator posted:

No one gasped at anything in Prometheus.

I bet some people gasped at the alien abortion scene, though that's not the same reason.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Count me as one of the slackjaws who didn't see the fact that Ego killed Quill's mom coming. I figured he was responsible, just not in a direct fashion. The whole theater lost its poo poo when that happened and pretty much everyone either gasped or gave an "oh poo poo"

Dave Batista remains the funniest person in the cast, against all odds and good sense, while Michael Rooker and Karen Gillan were the people who most surprised me both with the directions their characters went in and their performances. GOTG2 feels like a much more personal movie than the first, and at some point each character has to deal with poo poo from their past that shaped them. Yondu and Rocket murdering most of the Ravagers and then having a heartfelt shouting match was actually a moment that I really loved. Props to both of the actors in that scene for selling a particularly emotional moment despite the fact that one is covered in makeup and the other is a CGI character.

I also found it funny just how big a role Sean Gunn has in this movie. By the third one he'll be on the team at this rate.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DC Murderverse posted:

I bet some people gasped at the alien abortion scene, though that's not the same reason.

You could hear a pin drop in my theater. Everyone was completely silent. It really got the whole audience.

People also cheered when Idris Elba got Charliez Theron to have sex with him. Weird audience reaction but hey.

Prometheus rules.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Actually surprisingly high. It easily beats out GOTG1 on direction, design, and cinematography.

Visually sure, but it has a lot of pacing and structural issues. Granted, Adams was never one for tight structure anyway, but you can kinda get away with that more in radio or in a book. There are definitely a few points where it kinda sputters out and a few others where it feels like they're trying to weld on a more conventional Hollywood approach (playing up the romance, for example, though this does give Trillian a lot more to do.)

I mean, it's a fine film but it definitely has its flaws.

As for GotG v2, loved it. Lots of great visual spectacle and a very solid story. Where the villain in the first Guardians was motivated by pure anger and revenge, coming to represent a pure force of death, the villain in this is motivated by a "sense of purpose" which leads to his being a force of life out of control, overtaking all other life not out of any tyrannical ambition but just wanting to BE so much more than anyone else. They both kinda represent dark forces tugging at the main characters- Quill in the first film has his grief and his bitterness at his mom's death gnawing at him forever, and in this he wants to Be Somebody and Belong and buy into the plan his dad has for him.

I also really liked that Nebula got more to do. Karen Gillan has one of the best readings in the film, that "All I wanted was a sister" really got to me- it's a stock line but I was not expecting it. Pom Klementieff is a nice little discovery too. (And I knew Elizabeth Debecki was one to watch ever since Great Gatsby.)

And yeah the final act made me tear up a bit (and it wasn't quite as drawn out as the first which is a plus.) I wasn't really surprised by Yondu's death since all of Stallone's dialogue is about what'll happen when he dies, which is Foreshadowing 101, but it worked. Michael Rooker is good and I'm sad to see his character go.

And the opening credits sequence was very nice. Maybe THIS is finally the year the art makes a comeback.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I guess I'm in the minority in thinking thatEgo giving the mom her tumor was a bit too mustache twirling evil. We already get that he's evil, that was just kicking the dog.

Overall I enjoyed it, but there was a bit too much rehashing of the same stuff from the first one. And the Drax loud laughing got a bit old.

Did anyone else think Groot looked a bit too plastic?

Also, I REALLY wish they'd knock it off with trailers showing you the entire film. :(

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Also, I REALLY wish they'd knock it off with trailers showing you the entire film. :(

I feel like in this case they cut it so that you couldn't quite tell how all of what they showed was going to actually play out. Like the way the trailer runs, you think the platform with the spinny battery-powered things, and the giant tentacled beast, are going to be a part of the cilmax, not the opening salvo. Ego never really shows up, you don't see that the characters get separated, etc.- it's good at avoiding the actual structure of the movie.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

As long as there has been movie trailers, they've been showing you the entire film.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel like in this case they cut it so that you couldn't quite tell how all of what they showed was going to actually play out. Like the way the trailer runs, you think the platform with the spinny battery-powered things, and the giant tentacled beast, are going to be a part of the cilmax, not the opening salvo. Ego never really shows up, you don't see that the characters get separated, etc.- it's good at avoiding the actual structure of the movie.

I guess. Knowing that Kurt Russel was Ego, I knew as soon as they showed the alien plant in the flashback that he was evil and trying to "infect" other worlds, and figured the Groot bomb was the ending Groot Ex Machina.

They showed the Spider-Man trailer, which I've been trying to avoid, and I feel it's too revealing as well (speculation spoiler in case anyone else is trying to avoid the trailer) Spider-Man tries to be the big hero, inadvertently causes the boat to get trashed. Stark takes the high tech suit back after lecturing Peter, Peter realizes he can't just let the Vulture go so he creates a homemade costume to fight him, thus "if you need the suit you're not the person I thought you were"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
drat, I'm sorry you guys let previews ruin your movie.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

THERE WERE 25 MINS OF PREVIEWS> WTF

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Franchescanado posted:

drat, I'm sorry you guys let previews ruin your movie.

I watched the first two trailers and had no idea what the story was going to be. So I found it to be quite surprising through out.

Also, I made a soundtrack playlist that mostly followed the film, and when I got to the last 3 tracks, Mary Poppins and the Rat, Dad, and Father and Son I teared up like a mother fucker. I don't know why that ending hit me so hard, but it did. Maybe it's because my dad moved away and I don't get to see him too often, and I kinda miss doing things and stuff with him. He's not dead or anything and I can call him every day, but still.

It's a really great ending. And the line

"I ain't your father, but I am your Daddy." is just....daaaannng.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Very good flick. I liked how they fit in a whole lot of good character moments while still getting the cool action done. Stuff like Drax talking about his daughter and Mantis channeling tears, Yondu and Rocket hashing out how you can be a miserable bastard and still make room for people, Nebula explaining the awful way Thanos turned her against Gamora.

Also that scene where Yondu wastes the entire ship full of people with his arrow might have been the best scene in both films. There were three or four shots just in that scene that were more inventive than most movies can manage once.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Visually sure, but it has a lot of pacing and structural issues. Granted, Adams was never one for tight structure anyway, but you can kinda get away with that more in radio or in a book. There are definitely a few points where it kinda sputters out and a few others where it feels like they're trying to weld on a more conventional Hollywood approach (playing up the romance, for example, though this does give Trillian a lot more to do.)

I mean, it's a fine film but it definitely has its flaws.

Eh, Douglas Adams wrote the script and made changes to suit the medium which was his thing. It's why the radio version differs from the book which differs from the TV show and such. The director has come out saying that the romance subplot that everyone complains about was something Douglas Adams wrote. Maybe it would have been better if he lived to see filming but we'll never know.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why was it that Yondu was kicked out of the ravagers? Sly kinda mumbled it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Baron Porkface posted:

Why was it that Yondu was kicked out of the ravagers? Sly kinda mumbled it.

He was dealing kids, and that's against their code.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My initial reaction is just sort of "eh." I think the problem stems most from the pacing and splitting up the cast. They all have great chemistry and you barely get it. The ending action sequence was a big dud in standard Marvel has third act problems itis.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:smug: I can make anything ? Oh I am gonna make weird poo poo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Justin Godscock posted:

Eh, Douglas Adams wrote the script and made changes to suit the medium which was his thing. It's why the radio version differs from the book which differs from the TV show and such. The director has come out saying that the romance subplot that everyone complains about was something Douglas Adams wrote. Maybe it would have been better if he lived to see filming but we'll never know.

He did some work but judging by the credits a lot was done after he died. I'm not complaining about the changes per se, though I think the pace is uneven.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

PostNouveau posted:

Also that scene where Yondu wastes the entire ship full of people with his arrow might have been the best scene in both films. There were three or four shots just in that scene that were more inventive than most movies can manage once.

The scene where the lights go out in the ship's hallway and all you can see is the red tail of the arrow illuminating the devestation was a really fun and cool shot, I thought.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

The scene where the lights go out in the ship's hallway and all you can see is the red tail of the arrow illuminating the devestation was a really fun and cool shot, I thought.

And also the overhead shot of the control room as the arrow flies around the outside of it killing anyone trying to charge them and the part where the arrow can be seen only indirectly as it flies through the security camera streams. Maybe just recency bias, but I can't think of an action scene I liked more in an MCU movie.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Nebula: "I cannot be tried as I am a sovereign citizen. That is a gold fringed flag"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Count me as surprised at the critical reaction saying it was worse than the first; other than a cluttered 3rd act I thought it was actually better and rounded out a lot of the characters. :shrug:

• Locked thread