Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

No? It's really frigging cool, for the reasons I've explained.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I can see a little apprehension when it comes to using the likenesses of dead actors, who obviously can't agree to what the filmmakers want them to do, etc., but when it comes to making old people look less old, that's just basically highly advanced makeup.

Especially since the actor is alive, gave full permission, and even did the acting in the scene without motion capture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

Counterpoint: you may just not want to enjoy the movie and have defined the characters as cookie-cutter, and so are not willing to put in the effort to look at the characters and read their arcs.

Characters are just devices for telling stories, exploring sentiments and themes, etc. And the story they play out in is just so utterly unremarkable. A manchild space adventurer ends up mostly staying the same, with a lot of ancillary bullshit.

"If you kill me, you'll end up being just like everybody else!"
"What's so wrong about that?"

Not very riveting stuff.

The most interesting thing about GotG2 was seeing a Marvel movie start straight-up borrowing plot points, themes, and even scenes from Man of Steel - all the stuff with Ego ends up recalling that movie. The scene of a father-figure recounting a history of glory, colonization, and death to his estranged son was particularly blatant. It doesn't come close to it, but I guess I should commend them for being inspired by such a good movie.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 6, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why the gently caress did they not use the good part of the chain during the final battle despite using it in the trailer???

Soggy Cereal posted:

Just as I expected, this was great and people are unnecessarily cynical because MCU.

most of the mcu is bland trash but i love the guardians flicks.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 6, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

CelticPredator posted:

James Gunn fucks with tone like no one else I know. I think it's incredible. I love how I'm crying in one scene, and seconds later, laughing. I love how he can horrify me, make me laugh, and disgust me all in one scene. He's never been a director for everyone. But he's one of the few that just clicks for me, right at my core. He's weird as gently caress, and this film is like his weirdness distilled, and with a hundred million dollar budget.
In that sense he reminds me of Mike Patton who can go for the same tonal roulette and make you go through recoiling in horror, laughing, and cheering in one song.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Characters are just devices for telling stories, exploring sentiments and themes, etc. And the story they play out in is just so utterly unremarkable. A manchild space adventurer ends up mostly staying the same, with a lot of ancillary bullshit.

Not very riveting stuff.

The most interesting thing about GotG2 was seeing a Marvel movie start straight-up borrowing plot points, themes, and even scenes from Man of Steel - all the stuff with Ego ends up recalling that movie, even the scene of a father-figure recounting a history of glory, colonization, and death to the son he never knew. Of course it doesn't improve on it.

But that's not the character arc

The character arc is you have to set aside your ego and admit your flaws and accept the flaws of others to make genuine human connections, even if it's painful, because that's ultimately what life is about, the connections we make with the people we care about for unselfish reasons. . This applies to any of the characters that matter to the central story.

Ego fails because he is unable to make connections, and so compensates by trying to spread himself--because he's selfish and lonely and he's the only thing he understands--to all parts of the universe.

This moment happens because it shows Peter understands that that's what being family, being "related", having a connection means. There is no point to living forever and having infinite power if you are alone and have no one to share it with, someone who you can laugh with (Drax), someone to love (Gamorrah), someone to compete with (Rocket), someone you can care for (Groot), someone to empathize with (Mantis), someone to look up to (Yondu); Star-Lord doesn't connect with Nebula, because that is for Gamora's connection, to understand the ramifications of her past actions

If you think character arcs are about changing a character's personality, I don't think you understand internal character arcs. People can learn and grow and change without going from a goofy sarcastic dude into a super stoic bad-rear end or losing a hand or getting a scar on their face.

Also, Man of Steel sucks and is super boring while somehow constantly crawling up it's own rear end until the sweet relief of the end credits.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 6, 2017

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
On the other hand...

Some Celestial powers would have been nice when fighting Thanos. Come to think of it... Turning everything into Ego would have solved that problem quick. The infinity war is entirely Peter's fault.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

On the other hand...

Some Celestial powers would have been nice when fighting Thanos. Come to think of it... Turning everything into Ego would have solved that problem quick. The infinity war is entirely Peter's fault.

Not really. Peter's a novice at the powers, he can only use them on the planet, and in small doses. They directly say it would take a few million years for Peter to be capable of doing any real damage for an extended period of time. Even so, there wouldn't be an Infinity War, because there'd be nothing but Ego everywhere. He wasn't possessing anything, he was actively growing over it and destroying it, coincidentally like a tumor or cancer. There would be Ego and Quill and nothing else.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

But that's not the character arc

The character arc is you have to set aside your ego and admit your flaws and accept the flaws of others to make genuine human connections, even if it's painful, because that's ultimately what life is about, the connections we make with the people we care about for unselfish reasons. . This applies to any of the characters that matter to the central story.

Ego fails because he is unable to make connections, and so compensates by trying to spread himself--because he's selfish and lonely and he's the only thing he understands--to all parts of the universe.

This moment happens because it shows Peter understands that that's what being family, being "related", having a connection means. There is no point to living forever and having infinite power if you are alone and have no one to share it with, someone who you can laugh with (Drax), someone to love (Gamorrah), someone to compete with (Rocket), someone you can care for (Groot), someone to empathize with (Mantis), someone to look up to (Yondu); Star-Lord doesn't connect with Nebula, because that is for Gamora's connection, to understand the ramifications of her past actions

This is all incredibly basic stuff. Vol. 2's inspiration, Man of Steel, already did all that and more. Like that scene of Kurt Russell pontificating about how he's not alone with very undynamic shots and set just reminds one how better the equivalent sequences with Jor-El and Zod were.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This is all incredibly basic stuff. Vol. 2's inspiration, Man of Steel, already did all that and more. Like that scene of Kurt Russell pontificating about how he's not alone with very undynamic shots and set just reminds one how better the equivalent sequences with Jor-El and Zod were.

If it's so basic, why are you seemingly incapable of reading it? You said "it's a movie about a man-child not changing". You're loving wrong. I gave you an actual interpretation that considers, you know, the movie I watched. If you want an incredibly original and complex character study, why are you watching a movie based on comic books, or actively comparing it to a worse comic book movie?

For a comic book movie or an action-comedy blockbuster, this is incredibly well written, directed and acted. Is it as complex as Miller's Crossing or Taxi Driver? Of course not, it's not trying to be.

It's good to have a movie tackle a simple theme in new and interesting ways with fun characters. If that's not what you wanted, that's a different story, but it's fruitless to try and ask the Disney sci-fi action comedy to make you re-evaluate the human condition, or to try and label it on where it lands on a scale of complexity.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 6, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

If it's so basic, why are you seemingly incapable of reading it? You said "it's a movie about a man-child not changing". You're loving wrong. I gave you an actual interpretation that considers, you know, the movie I watched. If you want an incredibly original and complex character study, why are you watching a movie based on comic books, or actively comparing it to a worse comic book movie?

I understand it perfectly, and I agree with your reading. It's just very boring. I make comparisons to Man of Steel because it's a pretty obvious inspiration for Vol 2. Ego recreating the past with technological dioramas is straight up taken from it.

Franchescanado posted:

It's good to have a movie tackle a simple theme in new and interesting ways with fun characters. If that's not what you wanted, that's a different story, but it's fruitless to try and ask the sci-fi action comedy to make you re-evaluate the human condition, or to try and label it on where it lands on a scale of complexity.

You're a praising the movie's writing, directing, and acting, but then appending that it doesn't need to be good, that sci-fi doesn't need to make you evaluate the human condition.

Isn't that what you were just praising the movie for doing? Evaluating the human condition?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 7, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My god you're so loving smug it's sicking.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I thought the movie was okay, had a few problems here and there. I'd give it a 7, while the easily-rewatchable first movie is a 9.
The humor at times felt a bit lazy "first-draft" quality, as if the characters were MST3K-ing their own movie. We don't need to have every character put their 2 cents in every scene, it kinda drags the momentum down. I like Drax and Rocket enough, but the fake laugh response got old by the midpoint of the movie.

I also felt a bit iffy on how much human killing was done by the heroes while the first movie only had "necro-something" faceless monster humanoid deaths. We spent too much time with the pirates, too. I felt like there were more interesting settings in the first film and we jumped between them every 20 minutes there. Here it slowed down a bit too much and we were stuck in certain locations for too long.

I did like the last 30 min of the movie when it kicked into higher gear and everyone had a goal while the beginning/middle felt a bit aimless. It ended strong and if I watch it again, I might just start from the last third.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Groovelord Neato posted:

why the gently caress did they not use the good part of the chain during the final battle

Assuming you mean the bass riff into guitar solo part, agreed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's exactly the part it woulda been perfect.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I wonder if all Ego's children could use his powers but the lack of him being in his children's life or how they were raised without their mother because he killed them all, repressed all their abilities.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

I wonder if all Ego's children could use his powers but the lack of him being in his children's life or how they were raised without their mother because he killed them all, repressed all their abilities.

I think it was more that Ego loved Meredith that made Pete special

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's exactly the part it woulda been perfect.

:hfive:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I liked it, but not nearly as much as the original. I can easily rewatch the first one when it comes on tv but I don't think I'd go out of my way for this one.
That could just be me though because I was hoping for something on the scale of the first one, while they went way smaller scale on this one. Which would be okay, if the plot didn't beat you over the head with THIS CHARACTER WAS SEARCHING FOR THEIR FAMILY. BUT THEIR TRUE FAMILY WAS THE FRIENDS THEY MADE ALONG THE WAY!!! for every single character, which leaves the charm of the characters themselves to hold things up, which it does successfully when it's not a scene of Rocket being an utterly insufferable dickhole.

Franchescanado posted:

Like, you can laugh at the references, but that's not entirely the point. Except for the Zune, but even that could be a remark on how Quill will never fully be an earthling, he'll never really get that aspect of his humanity, but it's thoughtful that Yondu found it and knew it would be a good gift for his "son".

That was obviously a way of updating the time period window for the next movie's soundtrack, and making a joke of how even with updated technology from what he had, he's still way behind on Earth pop culture.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 7, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Franchescanado posted:

Not really. Peter's a novice at the powers, he can only use them on the planet, and in small doses. They directly say it would take a few million years for Peter to be capable of doing any real damage for an extended period of time. Even so, there wouldn't be an Infinity War, because there'd be nothing but Ego everywhere. He wasn't possessing anything, he was actively growing over it and destroying it, coincidentally like a tumor or cancer. There would be Ego and Quill and nothing else.

Isn't the source of The Light Ego itself? Since Peter is basically half Celestial he should also be able to create light, though not nearly as strong and he probably never would have figured it out without Ego telling him. But thanks to Ego giving him a crash course in using the light, I'm assuming the epochs of lonely learning to manipulate surrounding matter aren't entirely necessary.

Tenzarin posted:

Ego specifically said that Peter is the only one of his children to carry Celestial genes. So it's either the true love for Peter's mom, or a reference to how Humans tend to pick up super powers like magnets in the Marvel Universe. Or maybe the dick he created when he imagined what sentient life would look like is just best when used with Humans, because out of the millions of species in the galaxy, only Humanity could produce a Kurt Russel.

Really missed the chance to have Peter's mom look like Goldie Hawn in that last case though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he made a human body so he's pretty dumb not to realize that's the only time it'd work.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like the idea that while Ego's human body was banging all sorts of space women, he was also loving the planets themselves, sorta.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Peter shooting wasn't some totally out of character thing that was him being "reactionary" it was a thing he planned on screen standing in front of the camera. When he went on a walk with gomorrah he promised if his dad was evil he'd kill him. He wasn't lying. His dad was evil, so he shot him right in the head, no hesitation, just like the plan. It wasn't some snap emotional reaction, it was the terms he set out for going along with the man he just met

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Exactly how hard is it to spell Gamora?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Pretty hard, since it's a simplified spelling of a Biblical city of debauchery from Hebrew

Edit: which reminds me, they missed a joke where Taserface could have said "Your name is Rocket", but the character wasn't very smart or witty.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 7, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

Edit: which reminds me, they missed a joke where Taserface could have said "Your name is Rocket", but the character wasn't very smart or witty.

In the comics rocket's entire origin is a dumb extended joke about the song rocky raccoon and that scene sort of made me feel like they didn't want to call attention to his name too much so they could weigh on if they could afford a beatles licence or not to make the joke in some future movie. Like if they discuss his name now they can't two movies from now when they want to do a plot of him having to save the halfworld bible and some scene of peter making fun of how everything happening is all just song lyrics.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I saw this today and enjoyed it! It's a fun movie with a good soundtrack. A few things don't make sense, like how Ego's brain is the same shape as a human's brain, or how Ego says he wanted to see what it was like the be "human" when he left his planet, when he didn't even know that humans existed, let alone any kind of intelligent life aside from himself. But whatever, maybe he just wanted Peter to understand his story more clearly.

Also I expect to see a few articles accusing the Mantis character of being racist because she's an asian actress playing a very child-like character that serves an older white man and calls him "Master". Some people are definitely not going to be cool with that.

Hopefully Nebula is in Infinity War, because she needs to land the killing blow on Thanos.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ccs posted:

Also I expect to see a few articles accusing the Mantis character of being racist because she's an asian actress playing a very child-like character that serves an older white man and calls him "Master". Some people are definitely not going to be cool with that.

Lol. And you say this is a James Gunn film, eh?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Lol. And you say this is a James Gunn film, eh?

Why, does he have a bad history of offending asian people?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It was alright. It wasn't as funny or entertaining as the first one but there were a couple cool moments. Every time something sincere happened they'd undercut it with a joke like they were scared they couldn't pull it off, which I know they did the first time around but it felt more egregious here

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Ccs posted:

I saw this today and enjoyed it! It's a fun movie with a good soundtrack. A few things don't make sense, like how Ego's brain is the same shape as a human's brain, or how Ego says he wanted to see what it was like the be "human" when he left his planet, when he didn't even know that humans existed, let alone any kind of intelligent life aside from himself. But whatever, maybe he just wanted Peter to understand his story more clearly.

Hopefully Nebula is in Infinity War, because she needs to land the killing blow on Thanos.

Most of the aliens in MCU are humanoid. So that isn't really a stretch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ccs posted:

Why, does he have a bad history of offending asian people?

http://jamesgunn.com/2010/04/07/shoving-mia-matsumiya-into-small-containers/

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He's weird and so are all of his girlfriends. I highly doubt he forced her to do any of that.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

I like the idea that while Ego's human body was banging all sorts of space women, he was also loving the planets themselves, sorta.

Wasn't that a joke? I figured Ego was using an alien body each time he went to a new planet, the model of Human Him was just a default Me Icon in all the panels of his story he told Peter.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

He's weird and so are all of his girlfriends. I highly doubt he forced her to do any of that.

I'm just saying it's not surprising.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
He forced her to do it with a gun.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MisterBibs posted:

Wasn't that a joke? I figured Ego was using an alien body each time he went to a new planet, the model of Human Him was just a default Me Icon in all the panels of his story he told Peter.

Ego can look like anything, as seen by his brief Hasselhoffing, but framed everything in a way most likely to get Peter on board, so it's possible that he just changed his appearance for each planet. On the other hand inter-species boning and offspring are common things in Guardians, and he did look like Kurt Russel, so he could have been using the same skin for his avatar the whole time.

Plus even after dropping the act and pretense with Peter he repeatedly went to the Human appearance, even when going giant to fight Pac-Man Quill. Given that Egotar was looking pretty pale and haggard by the time Groot blew up his brain, Kurt Russell is at the very least his preferred appearance. Maybe even owing to his love for Peter's mother.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I liked how fungal Ego's powers were in creating stuff

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
So I know character swaps aren't as passe as they used to be but doesn't Fox have the rights for The Watchers?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Soulwrangler posted:

So I know character swaps aren't as passe as they used to be but doesn't Fox have the rights for The Watchers?
There was a deal made by Marvel and Fox to get the rights of Ego and another character so that might have been it

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Soulwrangler posted:

I read somewhere that there was a rights swap dating back to Fox wanting to change Negasonic Teenage Warhead's powers in Deadpool. They agreed as long as they could use the people you mentioned here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
So who was Thanos wailing on during the 750 jump montage?

It was very blink an you miss it. Did anyone else notice?

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 7, 2017

• Locked thread