Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

jBrereton posted:

I'm loving glad that this thing is being done with the best intentions by both sides, with the reasonable concerns hundreds of millions of EU + UK citizens taken into account, not the ego of a guy who let the EU collapse and some smug prick and his schoolteacher mistress taking charge.
The EU is not collapsing, and EU citizens in general support the Commission's stance, sooooo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

LemonDrizzle posted:

10) EU side felt May was seeing whole thing through rose-tinted-glasses. "Let us make Brexit a success" she told them.

Such a strange way to state things, like she's trying to win their votes.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

bessantj posted:

Such a strange way to state things, like she's trying to win their votes.

It's consistent with the language she uses in leaks from cabinet meetings. This is apparently how she interacts with people.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skinty McEdger posted:

It's consistent with the language she uses in leaks from cabinet meetings. This is apparently how she interacts with people.

"Hello darling, hope your nights sleep was a success. Let's make a success of breakfast."

The fact that it seems increasingly likely that she will win the next election makes me feel a bit depressed. What would she count as a success anyway?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
it makes a perverse sense if one knows that the meeting will be leaked anyway, so one plays to the actual intended audience, i.e. the headlines after a summary, transcript, or even whole audio recording is leaked

this, we tell ourselves, is Democratic Government. I blame Tony Benn.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

LemonDrizzle posted:

The German newspaper FAZ has an account of the midweek dinner meeting between May/Davis and Juncker, which is really not complimentary at all of the PM; the Economist's Berlin bureau chief did a translation of the highlights on Twitter: https://twitter.com/JeremyCliffe/status/858810953353367552
Maybe if we're deluded enough about what's going to happen the final deal (or lack of one) will be so terrible that we'll chicken out of Brexit when the time comes?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 1, 2017

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/01/tony-blair-announces-return-in-bid-to-influence-brexit-debate

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/whats-happening-britain-worries-me-10331148

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

jBrereton posted:

I'm loving glad that this thing is being done with the best intentions by both sides, with the reasonable concerns hundreds of millions of EU + UK citizens taken into account, not the ego of a guy who let the EU collapse and some smug prick and his schoolteacher mistress taking charge.
Well, one of the reasonable concerns of hundreds of millions of EU citizens is presumably "don't let Britain do a runner without settling its bills because otherwise we'll have to pick up the tab" and another is "don't let British firms compete with our firms in the single market if we're not allowed to go and work for them".

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

I presume that noted war criminal Tony Blair will be "entering the debate" via the medium of a webcast from the criminal state of Israel where he resides in shamefaced exile from fear of potential prosecution for war crimes.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/MiRo_SPD/status/858952076700917760

Roth is the German Minister for Europe.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Oberleutnant posted:

I presume that noted war criminal Tony Blair will be "entering the debate" via the medium of a webcast from the criminal state of Israel where he resides in shamefaced exile from fear of potential prosecution for war crimes.

I seem to remember a few articles some months ago saying he was moving his entire office (I presume there are many people employed there) back into London, so he had a base to campaign on Brexit from. He may actually here, in which case it's worth mentioning there is still £10k in the kitty if you manage a citizen's arrest.

Taintrunner posted:

American here, is there any reason I don't want Corbyn to win?

If you care about NATO, it probably wouldn't be good news. Or if you needed a trusty sidekick for general military interventionism.

More generally, I can't imagine Trump - Corbyn relations being anything other than catastrophic, so it would be bad news for our diplomatic relationship generally.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jose posted:

i'm glad blair is promising to get his hands dirty and help Theresa May get re-elected because shes what this country needs

Based on that Juncker meeting analysis she's certainly what this country deserves.

That said, I myself have been holding Brexit talks of late, and have successfully negotiated a deal to leave the EU I'm moving to Norway this month.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Prince John posted:

I seem to remember a few articles some months ago saying he was moving his entire office (I presume there are many people employed there) back into London, so he had a base to campaign on Brexit from. He may actually here, in which case it's worth mentioning there is still £10k in the kitty if you manage a citizen's arrest.
Hahaha this owns

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

He is absolutely right tho.
Only some british will be better off.

E:

Blair: "Labour went and a clawed back a positively meager number of points in the polls? On leftist policy? Well this just wont do."

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 1, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
we're so hosed lol

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Blair: "Labour went and a clawed back a positively meager number of points in the polls? On leftist policy? Well this just wont do."

He's on of those old fashioned politicians who thinks that being able to form a government is important.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I'm sad that someone else managed to do an Iron Lady reference in response to Ronya's post before me

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

yeah but he also a massive oval office

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

big scary monsters posted:

Based on that Juncker meeting analysis she's certainly what this country deserves.

That said, I myself have been holding Brexit talks of late, and have successfully negotiated a deal to leave the EU I'm moving to Norway this month.

How does voting work after you #brexit? What constituency do you vote in?

I am likely to be heading off to live in Switzerland shortly and won't be resident for at least a few years.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/renters-on-housing-benefit-barred-from-buy-to-let-homes-cw0qcw9cq

quote:

Banks are pushing families to the brink of homelessness by banning buy-to-let landlords from renting to people on housing benefit.
Two thirds of the biggest lenders will not accept applications from landlords who let to tenants who are receiving help from the state. The policy excludes a significant number of the working poor from accessing a large chunk of private rented accommodation, research shows.
With greater demand on social housing and a buoyant rental market, low-income workers often have no choice but to accept unsafe or unsanitary housing. In the worst cases they have to accept temporary or emergency accommodation, according to Shelter, the housing charity.

The number of tenants in the private sector receiving state help has risen by 50 per cent to almost 1.5 million since the financial crisis as wages stagnate and rents rise.
The banks’ ban means that many tenants are unable to move house, leaving them vulnerable to rent rises and poor treatment by landlords. The issue has contributed to the rise in the number of families in emergency accommodation. More than 120,000 children are living in temporary homes, according to the public accounts committee.

The problem has led to the unprecedented step of landlord groups and housing charities joining forces in calling for reform.
The Residential Landlords Association is demanding that the next government undertake a review of how lenders are preventing landlords from renting to benefit claimants, and act on its recommendations.
Alan Ward, chairman of the group, said: “The benefits system is not working for tenants or landlords. Discrimination against tenants receiving benefits is not driven by landlords but by the banking system. If the private rented sector is to house more people then barriers to landlords making fair decisions over who they rent to must be removed.”
Anne Baxendale, of Shelter, said: “Life for families who need housing benefit to top up their monthly income is hard enough without having to deal with this cruel prejudice from the banking system. With the country in the grip of a housing crisis, it’s appalling to see banks going out of their way to make life even harder for people who cannot find somewhere affordable to live.
“By putting an end to this practice banks can help ease the pressure for thousands of families already struggling to get by.”

The research by 3mc, a mortgage broker, found that 66 per cent of lenders, representing about 90 per cent of the buy-to-let market, including TSB, Santander, Virgin and NatWest, do not allow properties to be rented out to people receiving housing benefit.
Only one of the 58 lenders examined had no criteria relating to housing benefit claimants in the small print of their loans.
A spokesman for the Council of Mortgage Lenders said: “Individual lenders are responsible for setting their own mortgage terms and conditions and will take into account a wide range of factors, including their perception of risk in the market. For the tenure to provide security for the lender, landlord and tenant, it is crucial that landlords are able to fulfil their mortgage commitments.”

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Looks like Corbyn is winning by quite a way

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
where can i get a tim farron cardboard cutout

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

He is going cheaper, to be fair.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

his cutout is on there, but its more complex and you gotta pay someone to straighten it up

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kurtofan posted:

It's currently leading the Lib Dems.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I feel that performing a citizen's arrest on Blair would probably get me actual arrested

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pissflaps posted:

He's on of those old fashioned politicians who thinks that being able to form a government is important.

And the way to do this is by pointing out factional differences in the middle of a general election campaign? That doesn't sound like a good way to win an election.

There's a time and a place for Labour members to have a reasonable and free discussion on the merits of the leader. That ended the minute the PM called for a snap election. Assuming quite reasonably that Labour won't win, we can go back to those discussions the day the results are announced.

But of course Tony is on the record as preferring a left-lead Labour Party to lose so of course he'd work against it during an election campaign.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

I feel that performing a citizen's arrest on Blair would probably get me actual arrested

Martyrdom is an effective political tool, don't write it off completely.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Guavanaut posted:

It's currently leading the Lib Dems.

That's not fair

Cardboard is sturdier than any of the Lib Dems actual policies

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Namtab posted:

"Mr. Garcia put his hand on Mr. Blair’s shoulder and announced a citizen’s arrest for crimes against peace. Mr. Blair, having experienced something similar four times previously, did not seem that surprised. “He had a look of ‘Here we go again’ plastered over his face,” Mr. Garcia said.

But so reviled is Mr. Blair in some quarters that a website, set up by the writer George Monbiot, offers cash to those who attempt a citizen’s arrest on the former prime minister.

Mr. Garcia, who quit his bartending job to concentrate on being a D.J., said he had consulted the website, arrestblair.org, before his encounter with Mr. Blair. He received more than 2,200 pounds, about $3,730, but said his motive had been neither cash nor publicity but a desire to hold Mr. Blair accountable for Iraq."

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/16/world/europe/tony-blair-defined-by-his-support-of-president-bush-and-the-invasion-of-iraq.html?_r=0

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

How about a citizens execution?

JK JK just bants just bants

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

LemonDrizzle posted:

The EU is not collapsing, and EU citizens in general support the Commission's stance, sooooo...
The EU gave up earlier this year when the remaining rich members said they were fine with a "multi-speed" Europe.

I don't think EU citizens in general will actually support the commission's stance when £290bil of exports and £240bil of imports are put under threat because Juncker, Verhofstadt, and Barnier are too vain to get along with the quite stupid Davis, Fox, and May. The handful of people doing the negotiations are rich enough for it not to matter to them personally. The workers of Europe, not so much.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

What if I want the clown costume version?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/TelegraphNews/status/858750626058035200

Have some Peak Lib Dem

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Hypocrisy is a sin, Tim!

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

i am starting to think this whole brexit thing is a bad idea

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

:cripes:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

And the way to do this is by pointing out factional differences in the middle of a general election campaign? That doesn't sound like a good way to win an election.

It's his campaign.

He won three elections though so he might now something about winning them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
blair is only getting involved again because the US looks like it might invade Syria and he wants part of that. His lust for death in the middle east knows no bounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

in idealised mortgage-to-let, the bank puts up the capital. the landlord puts up the collateral. the tenant puts up the rent. It would normally make no sense for landlords to, other things equal, want to take on more risk, since they're the ones paying for the risk.

for some proportion of BTLs, i'm guessing, the landlord puts up the capital, the bank makes the gains tax-deductible, and the tenancy is a pure cost to obtain the tax-deductibility: the landlord intends to liquidate the moment the mortgage expires and then re-enter the cycle again. The collateral is actually not sufficient to cover the costs of default; any additional risk of default, therefore, does not fall on the landlord.

• Locked thread