Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TACD
Oct 27, 2000

quote:

Mr Farron said: "My message on the eve of that anniversary is this, things can only get better, but this time with the Liberal Democrats.
Inspirational stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

quote:

Mr Farron told the Andrew Marr Show on BBC1 that he had “resigned from the Liberal Democrat frontbench about ten years ago because I am a bit of a Eurosceptic.”

This was evidence that he was “somebody who challenges people in power”, he said.

He added: “But I’m somebody who believes that Britain is better off in the European Union and what the South West is famous for is wanting to be able to be self-governing, to be independent, to be different from those in Westminster who tell them what to do.

wow, is there a clumsier way to posture at anti-establishmentarianism

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

It's his campaign.

He won three elections though so he might now something about winning them.

Pissflaps this line is getting as tired as "Strong and stable government".

The fact is what won elections then doesn't win them now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Interesting pre-order pricepoint :crossarms:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

It's his campaign.

He won three elections though so he might now something about winning them.
In six months' time, I'm sure JC will have won as many elections within 2 years as Blair managed in 10.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

lol

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TACD posted:

Inspirational stuff.
Right up there with the "I know how to win - I'm married to my wife!" line from Owen Smith.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Not So Fast posted:

Pissflaps this line is getting as tired as "Strong and stable government".

The fact is what won elections then doesn't win them now.

I didn't bring up the subject.

Having said that: you're wrong.

jBrereton posted:

In six months' time, I'm sure JC will have won as many elections within 2 years as Blair managed in 10.

I get this.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

TACD posted:

Inspirational stuff.
Radical centrism.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ronya posted:

in idealised mortgage-to-let, the bank puts up the capital. the landlord puts up the collateral. the tenant puts up the rent. It would normally make no sense for landlords to, other things equal, want to take on more risk, since they're the ones paying for the risk.

for some proportion of BTLs, i'm guessing, the landlord puts up the capital, the bank makes the gains tax-deductible, and the tenancy is a pure cost to obtain the tax-deductibility: the landlord intends to liquidate the moment the mortgage expires and then re-enter the cycle again. The collateral is actually not sufficient to cover the costs of default; any additional risk of default, therefore, does not fall on the landlord.
The ideal buy to let is one where the landlord decides that it isn't right to buy an extra house to leech off the earnings of another person, and the bank burns down.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I feel that if blairite centrism won elections then Jeremy Corbyn would not be leader of the Labour party

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

ronya posted:

in idealised mortgage-to-let, the bank puts up the capital. the landlord puts up the collateral. the tenant puts up the rent. It would normally make no sense for landlords to, other things equal, want to take on more risk, since they're the ones paying for the risk.

for some proportion of BTLs, i'm guessing, the landlord puts up the capital, the bank makes the gains tax-deductible, and the tenancy is a pure cost to obtain the tax-deductibility: the landlord intends to liquidate the moment the mortgage expires and then re-enter the cycle again. The collateral is actually not sufficient to cover the costs of default; any additional risk of default, therefore, does not fall on the landlord.
I've never understood the reluctance for landlords to take housing benefit people. They are basically guaranteed the rent from the council. Or used to be before rents went up and housing benefit was cut but they are still guaranteed most of it. Its just seems like a snobbery of some sort. Last time I was on housing benefit for a couple of months there was an option to have it go straight to the landlord, so why cant a landlord insist on that then they are covered?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Seaside Loafer posted:

I've never understood the reluctance for landlords to take housing benefit people. They are basically guaranteed the rent from the council. Or used to be before rents went up and housing benefit was cut but they are still guaranteed most of it. Its just seems like a snobbery of some sort. Last time I was on housing benefit for a couple of months there was an option to have it go straight to the landlord, so why cant a landlord insist on that then they are covered?

Classism

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They changed that, rent goes to the person claiming benefits and then paid on. They found that if people lost their jobs and had to claim benefits then the landlords would kick them out, this way (unless they know you well) they have no way of knowing if the rent comes from you or housing benefit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Namtab posted:

I feel that if blairite centrism won elections then Jeremy Corbyn would not be leader of the Labour party

its ok the PLP have decided Yvette cooper will be their saviour after corbyn loses trhis election

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Seaside Loafer posted:

I've never understood the reluctance for landlords to take housing benefit people.
Private landlords, some of them on the rich list, got Ł9 billion out of the government's national housing benefit budget in 2015, so clearly some of them do.

e:

Jose posted:

its ok the PLP have decided Yvette cooper will be their saviour after corbyn loses trhis election
She will solve the housing crisis with more prisons for everyone.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Seaside Loafer posted:

I've never understood the reluctance for landlords to take housing benefit people.
Partly presumed indolence on the part of the renters, partly worries that universal credit is going to be rolled out everywhere, which replaces HB with a cash donation that many people on HB will just spend, go into arrears on, and then have nothing to act as collateral on, and partly the fact that HB is very prone to political decisions.

Like if you're a medium-to-large scale landlord and 40% of your housing stock is occupied by people on HB and there's some cap or huge cut introduced to help save up for the Brexit Warchest, is it plausible that you can come to some arrangement with your tenants that doesn't involve kicking them out but does involve them paying enough to make your investment worth it, and non-emergency upkeep on the house affordable? Maybe, maybe not.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Banks may be increasingly reluctant to fund properties rented to people on housing benefit because the introduction of universal credit will lead to increased arrears among such tenants.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 1, 2017

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

learnincurve posted:

They changed that, rent goes to the person claiming benefits and then paid on. They found that if people lost their jobs and had to claim benefits then the landlords would kick them out, this way (unless they know you well) they have no way of knowing if the rent comes from you or housing benefit.
I don't think that's true, I was on the universal credit September and November last year and I think there was a 'pay the rent straight to the landlord' option in it. I didn't choose that option because I didn't want her to know in case she kicked me out but I think its possible. It didn't cover the full rent but it was most of it. On less expensive places it probably would I guess. I don't understand the mentality, if you look on the website spareroom.co.uk practically every ad says 'No DSS'. This is stupid, if its a good person you cant loose if they are on benefits.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Seaside Loafer posted:

I don't think that's true, I was on the universal credit September and November last year and I think there was a 'pay the rent straight to the landlord' option in it. I didn't choose that option because I didn't want her to know in case she kicked me out but I think its possible. It didn't cover the full rent but it was most of it. On less expensive places it probably would I guess. I don't understand the mentality, if you look on the website spareroom.co.uk practically every ad says 'No DSS'. This is stupid, if its a good person you cant loose if they are on benefits.
If it isn't a good person you can, though.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

He's on of those old fashioned politicians who thinks that being able to form a government is important.

Erm, what? He's specifically said that he would prefer to lose an election than win on a platform he didn't agree with. In that regard he's exactly what you accuse Corbyn supporters of being.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Long term renting sucks, landlords who own lots of houses they rent out suck. If you rent a lone standing house for +3 years you should be able to force a buy on it. Landlord can't force you out early unless a court finds you criminally negligent or you commit a serious crime while renting. I'm more ambivalent on apartments.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Erm, what? He's specifically said that he would prefer to lose an election than win on a platform he didn't agree with. In that regard he's exactly what you accuse Corbyn supporters of being.

He formed governments based on the platform he argued for. There's no contradiction there.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

Long term renting sucks, landlords who own lots of houses they rent out suck. If you rent a lone standing house for +3 years you should be able to force a buy on it. Landlord can't force you out early unless a court finds you criminally negligent or you commit a serious crime while renting. I'm more ambivalent on apartments.

I think there might be some consequences with your 'right to buy' policy that you might not like.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Seaside Loafer posted:

I think you need to watch some of Channel 5's quality programming. On benefits is very bad. :mad:

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Well thats the point of interviewing your tenants isn't it. Are you suggesting people on benefits are inherently a bunch of scumbags not worthy of having a roof over their heads?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

jBrereton posted:

That's as true for people not on benefits as it is for those on benefits

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

He formed governments based on the platform he argued for. There's no contradiction there.

And he specifically said he wouldn't want to win on a leftist platform. So why would anyone other than you, who appears to not care about the ideology of the party, want a Blairite government in power? Why do you even attempt to debate us? We at least like to think of ourselves as left wing. Blair doesn't want to be left wing. Why do you keep bringing up Blair?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

And he specifically said he wouldn't want to win on a leftist platform. So why would anyone other than you, who appears to not care about the ideology of the party, want a Blairite government in power? Why do you even attempt to debate us? We at least like to think of ourselves as left wing. Blair doesn't want to be left wing. Why do you keep bringing up Blair?

I want a centre left labour government. That's not out of kilter with the ideology of the Labour Party.

Also, I didn't bring up Blair.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 1, 2017

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

I want a centre left labour government. That's not out of kilter with the ideology of the Labour Party.

Well that brings us to the nub of the problem, which is that the internal coalition of the Labour Party appears to be breaking down irretrievably at the same time as the historic voter coalition is falling apart over inner city professional/working class conflicts.

e: this is not Corbyn's fault, it's probably fairer to say that the voters who became disillusioned under the Blair years are not being drawn back by him, while at the same time the core who remained happy with Blair are being actively repelled. And that's how you get to a point where Labour is looking like hitting rock bottom at this election.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 1, 2017

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

A lot of by to let mortgage providers specifically prohibit borrowers from renting their property to people on housing benefit

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Seaside Loafer posted:

Well thats the point of interviewing your tenants isn't it. Are you suggesting people on benefits are inherently a bunch of scumbags not worthy of having a roof over their heads?
No, I'm saying that people on HB are more or less like any other tenant, but typically with less stuff to put up as collateral/less chance of successfully getting the money you are owed if it ends up in small claims court. I can understand why banks won't lend to landlords in that instance, and hence why landlords are reluctant to take them on as a result.

More housing being built would help this unfortunate situation.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

kustomkarkommando posted:

A lot of by to let mortgage providers specifically prohibit borrowers from renting their property to people on housing benefit

exactly how far do people have to go before they start legally discriminating? Fergus Wilson not being dead/in prison is an affront to the rule of law

jBrereton posted:

No, I'm saying that people on HB are more or less like any other tenant, but typically with less stuff to put up as collateral/less chance of successfully getting the money you are owed if it ends up in small claims court. I can understand why banks won't lend to landlords in that instance, and hence why landlords are reluctant to take them on as a result.

and you think this should be legal?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Demiurge4 posted:

As I understand it you're generally better off avoiding landlords who rent out single or small numbers of houses as they are more likely not to have enough cash to maintain the place properly.

jBrereton posted:

More housing being built would help this unfortunate situation.

Interesting article in this week's Economist on this: https://www.economist.com/blogs/speakerscorner/2017/04/battle-builders

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

Fergus Wilson not being dead/in prison is an affront to the rule of law
Gerald Grosvenor dead tho.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Alchenar posted:

e: this is not Corbyn's fault, it's probably fairer to say that the voters who became disillusioned under the Blair years are not being drawn back by him, while at the same time the core who remained happy with Blair are being actively repelled. And that's how you get to a point where Labour is looking like hitting rock bottom at this election.

:confused: A bunch of polls have Labour around the same level as Miliband in 2015 though? The difference is the huge jump the Tories have made by pandering to the UKIP base and stealing all their voters.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Would you rather have Corbyn's Labour or the Tories?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Would you rather have Corbyn's Labour or the Tories?

In government? Corbyn's labour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

I'll ignore the "Lol the loving economist" and point out your article says that under tory government, tory councils build more houses, then blames this on Labour

hence "lol the loving economist". Here's some evidence, and an editorial that never fails to utterly disagree with it.

• Locked thread