Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Spangly A posted:

and you think this should be legal?
For now, probably, yeah.

It's a difficult situation for everyone involved. If the government is confirmed as the legal guarantor of last resort, more HB tenants will default, because that will be a more rational choice for them. At which point HB will not be handed out anymore, or will be handed out much more restrictively, because that is a big increase in liability on the public finances which the insurance and re-insurance markets probably wouldn't be able to handle if the government tried to protect itself in a less coercive way than cheerfully sending in the G4S bailliffs every time someone missed a month's rent.

Which is why building more housing is important, to suppress demand for rented property by giving people an easier time trying to not have to go into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Talking about Tony Blair's talent as a politician is like discussing OJ Simpson's talent as a Running Back.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
What an incredibly moronic article.

"In the big cities where local government cuts have been enormous, it looks like Labour is not doing so well in the last few years!!!!!!" yeah no poo poo, what about Big Gid's policy to replace any council houses sold with fresh housing? Oh that hasn't happened whatsoever, Nice.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

jBrereton posted:

What an incredibly moronic article.

"In the big cities where local government cuts have been enormous, it looks like Labour is not doing so well in the last few years!!!!!!" yeah no poo poo, what about Big Gid's policy to replace any council houses sold with fresh housing? Oh that hasn't happened whatsoever, Nice.

True, but it poses problems for Corbs promoting Labour as the party of house building.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

LemonDrizzle posted:

The German newspaper FAZ has an account of the midweek dinner meeting between May/Davis and Juncker, which is really not complimentary at all of the PM; the Economist's Berlin bureau chief did a translation of the highlights on Twitter: https://twitter.com/JeremyCliffe/status/858810953353367552

This government is basically the diplomatic equivalent of drunkenly shouting at a Polish builder "two World Wars and one World Cup, doo dah, doo dah". :negative:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

True, but it poses problems for Corbs promoting Labour as the party of house building.
Not really. Labour have not been in government, they have been in squeezed local government. People understand that. Osborne lied about the commitment to build as many houses as were sold by councils. Labour can claim, truthfully or not, that they would have done things differently and helped hundreds of thousands get on the ladder instead of pulling it up, etc. etc.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

jBrereton posted:

People understand that.

This statement will always be wrong.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Ratjaculation posted:

Disappointed at the lack of a link to the best uk thread in that op. Recent discussions include stuff about my balls. Fluo (rip), a forum users home address and the dire state of sainsburys meal deals.

We also talk about the JAM MAN
where's the best thread?

i want to join in meal deal chat

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
https://twitter.com/TonyParsonsUK/status/858995006648066049

#brexitbritain

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Labour has gained in at least three polls just weeks before the general election, slashing the Tories' lead by as much as 10 points.

Jeremy Corbyn’s party is up by four points in the last week to 30 per cent support, found Opinium, while a separate YouGov poll between 27 and 28 April found that Labour was up two points to 31 per cent – both figures contributing to a smaller gap between the Tories and the Opposition.

A third poll for the Sunday Times showed the Tories had a 13-point lead with 44 percent of the vote, yet a YouGov poll gave the Tories a 23-point lead last week, showing a dip of 10 points.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...d=facebook-post

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Ewan posted:

where's the best thread?

i want to join in meal deal chat

ENTER THE FUNZONE

(99% circlejerking)

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

jBrereton posted:

The EU gave up earlier this year when the remaining rich members said they were fine with a "multi-speed" Europe.

I don't think EU citizens in general will actually support the commission's stance when £290bil of exports and £240bil of imports are put under threat because Juncker, Verhofstadt, and Barnier are too vain to get along with the quite stupid Davis, Fox, and May. The handful of people doing the negotiations are rich enough for it not to matter to them personally. The workers of Europe, not so much.
A multi-speed Europe has been the reality more or less since the show got on the road, and £290 billion of exports is not a huge deal in the context of an economic bloc with a GDP of around 14 trillion.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Yes yes... but how will the EU-27 survive without our cornish pasties?

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/status/858440406941528064

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

We are so hosed.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm the judge telling the UK to get back to its corner.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

e: shows I know nothing about boxing

I don't even really mind

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't want any scroungers renting one of my houses tbh. They'll make a mess.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Russia gonna invade Leave.eu's twitter account to protest the notion that Ukraine is in the EU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

and it's not even a parody :stare:

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

reminder that leave.eu also posted about executing people, before swifty deleting it

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Looke posted:

reminder that leave.eu also posted about executing people, before swifty deleting it

They like the idea of executing black people but think that war criminals are hard done by by political correctness.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

jBrereton posted:

Not really. Labour have not been in government, they have been in squeezed local government. People understand that.

This is definitely not the case, at least in my neck of the woods. I'm often not able to get to the end of the sentence when I talk about the impact of cuts to central government funding, before their eyes glaze over and/or they just interrupt with "it's all excuses, isn't it?!"

I don't think the man on the street even understands that councils are partly funded by central government or is able to link the closure of services in Labour councils with central government cuts by the Conservatives. Which I'm sure is exactly why the Tories are cutting left and right but protecting their own councils.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TinTower posted:

They like the idea of executing black people but think that war criminals are hard done by by political correctness.

'But'? Who do you think our war criminals currently go after?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

jBrereton posted:

For now, probably, yeah.

It's a difficult situation for everyone involved. If the government is confirmed as the legal guarantor of last resort, more HB tenants will default, because that will be a more rational choice for them.

No, that's not how people's decision making works. Rational choices are not a given reason for people making themselves homeless.

I agree with your point about the government expenses needing to go up. A six month guarantee from the government is a flat 6x increase in funds needing to be put aside, but no increase in monthly expenses. This remains a negligible amount, and not one that has any impact on national economy.

e; aside to which, I just thought, "no dss" is very different from "no guarantor", and banning no dss does not mean I think that the government is now the guarantor. I don't really see the point asking for no guarantee of payment, it'd be an inconsistent and weird step towards the final goal of no privately rented accomodation.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 1, 2017

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Also you are literally arguing in favour of discriminating against those who are disabled and unable to work

I'm pretty drat sure "no dss" is not really an acceptable legal requirement for this reason, we just have a government that fundamentally will not and will never stick up for the working poor.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

are we sure this isn't a joke about the fact as a Luxembourger, Juncker does in fact speak German or am I being way too optimistic?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The state should own all housing and means of production and everyone should get basic dividends from them and pay rent to the state with that. This of course with a strong investment in infrastructure and transport and distributed development that allows people to live anywhere comfortably.

IMO

^^^^ Isn't The Mirror the Sun's version of the Mail's group Metro?
I think that's just a joke.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pochoclo posted:

^^^^ Isn't The Mirror the Sun's version of the Mail's group Metro?

Erm no.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
I thought I would share some spicy Karl Marx Quotes since its May Day but its bound to upset some people so I wont

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

I thought I would share some spicy Karl Marx Quotes since its May Day but its bound to upset some people so I wont

Marx is alright do post.

He's not Stalin or anything.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Baron Corbyn posted:

are we sure this isn't a joke about the fact as a Luxembourger, Juncker does in fact speak German or am I being way too optimistic?

No Tony Parsons is actually a massive idiot.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

LemonDrizzle posted:

A multi-speed Europe has been the reality more or less since the show got on the road, and £290 billion of exports is not a huge deal in the context of an economic bloc with a GDP of around 14 trillion.

there isn't a picture of stalin here

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Private Speech posted:

Marx is alright do post.

He's not Stalin or anything.

okay here you go

quote:

Thus we find every tyrant backed by a Jew, as is every pope by a Jesuit. In truth, the cravings of oppressors would be hopeless, and the practicability of war out of the question, if there were not an army of Jesuits to smother thought and a handful of Jews to ransack pockets.

quote:

It is now perfectly clear to me that, as the shape of his head and the growth of his hair indicate, he is descendant from the negroes who joined in the flight of Moses from Egypt (unless his mother or grandmother on the father’s side was crossed with a friend of the family). Now this union of Jewishness to Germanness on a negro basis was bound to produce an extraordinary hybrid. The importunity of the fellow is also nwordlike.

quote:

What is the worldly religion of the Jew? Huckstering. What is his worldly God? Money.…. Money is the jealous god of Israel, in face of which no other god may exist. Money degrades all the gods of man – and turns them into commodities…. The bill of exchange is the real god of the Jew. His god is only an illusory bill of exchange…. The chimerical nationality of the Jew is the nationality of the merchant, of the man of money in general.

quote:

Direct slavery is as much the pivot upon which our present-day industrialism turns as are machinery, credit, etc. Without slavery there would be no cotton, without cotton there would be no modern industry. It is slavery which has given value to the colonies, it is the colonies which have created world trade, and world trade is the necessary condition for large-scale machine industry. Consequently, prior to the slave trade, the colonies sent very few products to the Old World, and did not noticeably change the face of the world. Slavery is therefore an economic category of paramount importance. Without slavery, North America, the most progressive nation, would he transformed into a patriarchal country. Only wipe North America off the map and you will get anarchy, the complete decay of trade and modern civilisation. But to do away with slavery would be to wipe America off the map

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Yes, the UK Marxism Thread will be outraged by Marx quotes

Oh, of course you pick up antisemitic quotes. How clever.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, the UK Marxism Thread will be outraged by Marx quotes

Oh, of course you pick up antisemitic quotes. How clever.

Turns out Karl Marx was pretty redpilled

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
In the actual spirit of International Worker's Day

Bertrand Russell posted:

The idea that the poor should have leisure has always been shocking to the rich. In England, in the early nineteenth century, fifteen hours was the ordinary day's work for a man; children sometimes did as much, and very commonly did twelve hours a day. When meddlesome busybodies suggested that perhaps these hours were rather long, they were told that work kept adults from drink and children from mischief. When I was a child, shortly after urban working men had acquired the vote, certain public holidays were established by law, to the great indignation of the upper classes. I remember hearing an old Duchess say: 'What do the poor want with holidays? They ought to work.' People nowadays are less frank, but the sentiment persists, and is the source of much of our economic confusion.

The fact is that moving matter about, while a certain amount of it is necessary to our existence, is emphatically not one of the ends of human life. If it were, we should have to consider every navvy superior to Shakespeare. We have been misled in this matter by two causes. One is the necessity of keeping the poor contented, which has led the rich, for thousands of years, to preach the dignity of labor, while taking care themselves to remain undignified in this respect. The other is the new pleasure in mechanism, which makes us delight in the astonishingly clever changes that we can produce on the earth's surface. Neither of these motives makes any great appeal to the actual worker. If you ask him what he thinks the best part of his life, he is not likely to say: 'I enjoy manual work because it makes me feel that I am fulfilling man's noblest task, and because I like to think how much man can transform his planet. It is true that my body demands periods of rest, which I have to fill in as best I may, but I am never so happy as when the morning comes and I can return to the toil from which my contentment springs.' I have never heard working men say this sort of thing. They consider work, as it should be considered, a necessary means to a livelihood, and it is from their leisure that they derive whatever happiness they may enjoy.

In Praise of Idleness, 1932

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Turns out Karl Marx was pretty redpilled

I think he didn't have kind words for any religion TBH.

Not that that's much of an excuse.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Schopenhauer said some bad things about Jews and black Americans in the early 19th century so I'm going to disregard everything he said about animal rights and kick a dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Skinty McEdger posted:

No Tony Parsons is actually a massive idiot.

Oh hey, you're not wrong. I'm still finding it hard to believe a real person wrote that tweet in any kind of seriousness but the evidence seems to point that way.

• Locked thread