Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
No, but you see, that's Corbyn's fault because his office didn't deliver a soundbite to a paper within half an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

TinTower posted:

Zac Goldsmith had a majority of 23,000.

I think the Tories are odds-on to hold onto Chippenham, but it could happen; nearly all of their council seats in Wiltshire are in Chippenham constituency.

If the sitting MP isn't arrested for electoral fraud that is

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Praseodymi posted:

If we're going to do alternate history fanfiction can't we do something interesting.

I'm going to imagine the Soviets just kept going after Berlin and the world is now full communism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLhlSiCk0ME

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Praseodymi posted:

If we're going to do alternate history fanfiction can't we do something interesting.

I'm going to imagine the Soviets just kept going after Berlin and the world is now full communism.

I'm not sure Soviet communism is the style of communism people want. I'm hoping for something where capitalism is a thing of the past, but without thought police and gulags

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

there's no telling how much or if any repressive apparatuses would be necessary in a world without imperialism though. im optimistic so i would hope for "none"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Namtab posted:

I'm not sure Soviet communism is the style of communism people want. I'm hoping for something where capitalism is a thing of the past, but without thought police and gulags

It would be interesting to see what the suppression of Capitalism as an idea would do the the political landscape mind.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Mark Blythe has a great quote about how the greatest trick liberalism ever pulled was convincing the world it was the only game in town

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

R. Guyovich posted:

there's no telling how much or if any repressive apparatuses would be necessary in a world without imperialism though. im optimistic so i would hope for "none"

I would think that an authoritarian form of communism would still find plenty of ways to oppress people even without imperialism

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

If you can look at capitalism and not think "yeah we need something to replace this" you either don't understand or you're a monster. Pick one. Money on you being a monster.
There is the brand of left-centrism that says "we can keep capitalism but also use another organ like the state to effect wealth transfer back from the capital class" which sometimes works during good times until something interrupts that system and people flip out and start supporting fascists instead.

I believe this is called Nordic social democracy.

There's also the soft leftism that never outright says gently caress capitalism but dances around it with words. This is called Clause IV.

I guess we can again test the theory of what happens when things become so bad that even the police are impoverished. :confuoot:

Do they join the People's Revolution or the SA this time around?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
They blame it on brown people and eastern europeans, so probably the latter.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Namtab posted:

I would think that an authoritarian form of communism would still find plenty of ways to oppress people even without imperialism

the means would exist but not the reason. that's my point

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

and all this time they told us it was communism that would put us on the breadline

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The problem with Thatcherism is that you eventually run out of state assets.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
my god I'd feel conflicted by a police strike

everyone over 60 would immediately vote the bnp on their platform of kill strikers and also criminals and mostly foreigners

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

YouGov stopped sending me surveys about five years ago and when I go on the site I just have a load of expired poo poo from 2012. I don't really care but the occasional £50 would be nice, I'd sort of forgotten about it until now.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Praseodymi posted:

Considering the possibility of a different labour leader on events right now is hardly alternate loving history get a grip.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

my god I'd feel conflicted by a police strike

everyone over 60 would immediately vote the bnp on their platform of kill strikers and also criminals and mostly foreigners
They'd probably vote UKIP on their platform of fund the police more by loving up education and the NHS (and also kill criminals and mostly foreigners).

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Considering the possibility of a different labour leader on events right now is hardly alternate loving history get a grip.

You playing make believe that a moderate Labour leader would certainly be doing far better than Corbyn despite all recent elections showing that's not the case is pretty much alternative history fanfiction.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Benjamin Arthur posted:

You playing make believe that a moderate Labour leader would certainly be doing far better than Corbyn despite all recent elections showing that's not the case is pretty much alternative history fanfiction.

I actually said 'half way decent' but if you want to conflate that with 'moderate' that's your prerogative.

I'll be sure to use this great new 'alternate history' line whenever anybody suggests literally anything could or should be different.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Pissflaps posted:

I'll be sure to use this great new 'alternate history' line whenever anybody suggests literally anything could or should be different.

I'd like a pony please.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Prince John posted:

I'd like a pony please.

Sorry that's alternate history. No pony for you.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I actually said 'half way decent' but if you want to conflate that with 'moderate' that's your prerogative.

Tedious pedantry aside; being a moderate is pretty obviously the main requisite for you to consider them "half way decent", why else would you rather Cooper, Kendall or Smith?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Benjamin Arthur posted:

Tedious pedantry aside; being a moderate is pretty obviously the main requisite for you to consider them "half way decent", why else would you rather Cooper or Kendall?

Yes yes of course I'm being a 'pedant' because I'm expecting you to at least reply to things that were said rather than something you imagined.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps is actually a very serious political player, that's why he argues all day and late into the night on an internet forum instead of doing anything constructive about the politics he cares about enough to spend all day and late into the night whining about.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Yes yes of course I'm being a 'pedant' because I'm expecting you to at least reply to things that were said rather than something you imagined.

You're being a pedant now continuing on this tangent rather than addressing the actual question.

But yeah it really took a giant leap of imagination to think the guy who endlessly poo poo posts about how woeful Corbyn is but still holds a centrist war criminal in high regard, might really mean moderate when he says "half way decent".

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Pissflaps is actually a very serious political player, that's why he argues all day and late into the night on an internet forum instead of doing anything constructive about the politics he cares about enough to spend all day and late into the night whining about.

No you see, nothing hurts the Tories like a lethargic internet troll complaining endlessly about how inept the Labour leader is.
Labour supporters who campaign enthusiastically for Corbyn however are actually just playing into the Tories hands.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

I'm not a very serious political player. I'm just a voter.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Guavanaut posted:

The problem with Thatcherism is that you eventually run out of state assets.

:golfclap:

e; Pissflaps which is your favorite Harry Turtledove series?

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

sebzilla posted:

YouGov stopped sending me surveys about five years ago and when I go on the site I just have a load of expired poo poo from 2012. I don't really care but the occasional £50 would be nice, I'd sort of forgotten about it until now.

You've got to really grind to get the fifty bucks these days. All I get now is stuff about whether I'd recommend a friend or family member work for <some company I've never heard of> or TV surveys. Google Rewards at least pays you the pennies right away, which has been enough for me to upgrade to pro-versions all the apps I use, buy a few books etc on their coin. They're obviously using it to tweak location services, but I'm happy to tell them I've just been near a shop in exchange for 12p. Top tip: walk through a shopping centre or along a busy shopping street occasionally.

Just checked - Rewards has paid me 40-odd quid in the last 18 months for a series of surveys that take a minute to do.

TheHoodedClaw fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 2, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Benjamin Arthur posted:

Labour supporters who campaign enthusiastically for Corbyn however are actually just playing into the Tories hands.

Well, yes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

I'm not a very serious political player. I'm just a voter.

Why do you spend so much time arguing about politics without bothering to engage in the democratic process at an equivalent rate?

That's a rhetorical question; the answer has been painfully obvious from the start.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!

MikeCrotch posted:

Mark Blythe has a great quote about how the greatest trick liberalism ever pulled was convincing the world it was the only game in town

If you like this, you should read 'Capitalist Realism' by Mark Fisher.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

Why do you spend so much time arguing about politics without bothering to engage in the democratic process at an equivalent rate?

I engage with it exactly as much as I want to.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Because you don't actually care at all beyond being smug in this thread on a daily basis. We all know this.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Benjamin Arthur posted:

Because you don't actually care at all beyond being smug in this thread on a daily basis. We all know this.

Being right about how Corbyn has turned out brings me little pleasure.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

You also answer the question you want to, instead of the question asked.

To no-one's surprise.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Being right about how Corbyn has turned out brings me little pleasure.

Reading your endless shitposting of you patting yourself on the back because you assume your'e correct, on a daily basis, brings everyone else even less pleasure.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

You also answer the question you want to, instead of the question asked.

To no-one's surprise.

I'm still waiting to hear by what measure Owen Smith or Liz Kendall could be considered "half way decent".

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Benjamin Arthur posted:

Reading your endless shitposting of you patting yourself on the back because you assume your'e correct, on a daily basis, brings everyone else even less pleasure.

You misunderstand, he gets off on posts like this calling him worthless.

It'd be quaint if people didn't fall for it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Benjamin Arthur posted:

I'm still waiting to hear by what measure Owen Smith or Liz Kendall could be considered "half way decent".

They have no history of being dedicatedly left-wing.

• Locked thread