Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

How about a citizens execution?

JK JK just bants just bants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Ewan posted:

Why do people keep calling Tony Blair a "war criminal"?

On account of all the war crimes.

E non sarcy answer: he mislead parliament into a war of aggression, the ultimate war crime.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Ewan posted:

Launching/starting a war of aggression is a crime under international law. Just because it relates to starting a war does not make it a "war crime". War crime is a term for a category of crimes which are committed during the state of war (whether international armed conflict or non-international armed conflict). This distinction is important.

You'll notice your indictment you used also conflicts with your point - "war crimes" are their own line, separate from the other crimes you mentioned.

The indictments were for:
Participation in a common plan or conspiracy for the accomplishment of a crime against peace
Planning, initiating and waging wars of aggression and other crimes against peace
War crimes
Crimes against humanity

The classic Nuremberg quote on the matter is "To initiate a war of aggression, therefore, is not only an international crime; it is the supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole" note that they say other war crimes, I.e. it's itself war crime.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

I like how in these days of Trump and Brexit people think "gotchas" like this have any value with the public

Those things only benefit the evil fuckers not the good guys.
Same reason people saying "well brexit happened and Trump won so maybe corbyn will win in an upset" are sadly wrong.

Also I had a glance at some of the papers today and it's funny seeing the right wing rags spin Mays disastrous meeting with Juncker as the EU trying to trick her but she stands up for plucky Britain.

We're hosed for a long time. People are gonna guzzle that shite down.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Hm, I feel like theres some kind of thread rule about engaging with pissflaps....

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

This is a bad enough morning without people responding to flaps.

Labour might have made some progress with a leader willing to promise not to fix anything and who got in bed with the papers but every party apart from the Strong and Stable leadership got destroyed which was a totally predictable outcome given the media narrative surrounding this election.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Gort posted:

How do you normally get the poor to vote against their own best interests?

Normally you'd unite them against foreigners or some kind of other... Oh.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Benjamin Arthur posted:

You're very welcome. I could happy feed your narcissistic personality disorder in exchange for you no longer trolling people who are worried about suicidal/disabled friends or family dying by repeatedly insisting that its their fault.

Could you not quote him though so the clever people who have him on ignore don't have to see his boring nonsense?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Turnout in the general will be increased and will probably just result in more Tory votes because we live in the Armageddon-by-stupidity timeline.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The One Crazy Trick that the Tories are effortlessly managing and labour never can is you don't publically fight each other and don't badmouth your leader. It's electoral cyanide EVERY time.

Even Tony Blair who was very Hardline about this rule has broken it constantly since he was given the boot.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

ronya posted:

*cough*

the reason why all that attempted undermining wasn't successful is perhaps related, one might surmise, to their continuing difficulties working the media, even with all the power of the Leader's office

Proof labour loves infighting, thanks?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Except Blair basically did get kicked out eventually by in party fighting via the Brownite faction it just took a while.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

When I was 16 I was a complete loving idiot with very strong opinions, it took me at least 4 years to become a regular human.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Evil_Urna posted:

How do you propose paying for all of this? The UK already has a major problem with the rich offshoring and hiding money. It is only gonna get worse of you decide to tax them at over 90 percent.

"The problems caused by rich people not paying their taxes cannot be solved by making them pay their taxes."

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

nothing to seehere posted:

Oh it's just a closed-room exam, so I should be frantically revising my lecture notes right now for tomorrow morning... but I'm here instead. I'm sure it will be fiiiiine.

I'm now 7 years out of Uni and going back into education to go on a different track, I'd advise revising like an hour a day a month before your stuff.
Thats what I've been doing for this course and it works much better than my Uni plan of "do no revision, half-heartedly cram and get distracted by drugs and going mental about friends and the opposite sex".

Mind you that was all pretty interesting too, so I'll stop being old at you.

-

I don't know if its been mentioned but I like that in response to her flipflop on the Dementia Tax May has now started using Trumps "Fake news! Fake news!" defence.

quote:

“Since my manifesto was published, the proposals have been subject to fake claims made by Jeremy Corbyn. The only things he has left to offer in this campaign are fake claims, fear and scaremongering,” she said, during a speech in Wrexham to launch the Welsh Tory manifesto.

Its probably reading too much into it but it would be funny if May turns out to be a genuine pathological liar like Trump.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I'm torn between wanting to warm my soul by the faint fire of Hope and wanting to remain appropriately pessimistic so I'm not totally cobbed during the results.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Disenfranchise the olds please, every election they vote for the same terrible shite forever.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Lord of the Llamas posted:

loving hell you're incapable of admitting you were wrong.

That's one of labia guy's many good good gimmicks.

Anyone know if the guardian has endorsed a party yet? I wanna know if they're gonna endorse Farron.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

There's still just under three weeks to go and Theresa May is loving up everything and Corbyn is doing great. If Corbyn comes close to beating May then the last two years of backstabbing and undermining by the PLP will have been the biggest wasted opportunity by Labour since 1997.

If so it won't be portrayed that way it'll be "imagine how they would have done under a strong and stable Smith without suck a risky throwback manifesto"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Fifteen years of increasingly intrusive surveillance didn't stop this from happening.

Well yeah because the loony left kept getting in the way!

Have we tried bombing people?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Fans posted:

Anyone acting like a oval office today is going on a long forum break so please keep your hot racist takes to yourselves for a bit.

croc suit posted:

God forbid white people notice who's killing them

That's a bingo!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Oberleutnant posted:

I think it's as bad. Hopkins dances around the issue with euphemism and allusion - she knows people will make the leap to the famous nazi quote, but doesn't outright explicitly state that she wants to genocide brown people, so she can at least deny that that was what she meant and try to weasle out of it. This on the other hand is just straight up "we need to put brown people in concentration camps".

Hopkins is basically also an evil jester, nobody should even glance at anything she says or does.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

They're just asking questions guys isn't this forum called debate and discuss?

So much for the tolerant left...

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Lotta crazy shitheads coming into this thread today huh. I didn't realise there must still be an oasis or two left for edgy racist morons.

I thought that was a /pol/ thing only :(

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Within a day the UKMT is talking about Gregg's.

Terrorists lose again.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I like how virtue signalling has now come to mean telling racists to gently caress off, which to be honest is it's own reward.

Kinda surprised people aren't picking up more than sixers for this stuff, what do you need to do to be banned?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Namtab posted:

No no virtue signalling is saying that you don't think the Muslims should all die when you don't believe it, just to make the dumb Trotsky mod like you.

I hope he notices me~

Oh like when I say I like women and they are equal to men just to trick women into giving me strange instead of being an honorable incel?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Toe be fair Roko's Basilisk is kinda terrifying at first glance until you realize you yourself aren't being tortured and a AI probably would have better things to do than make simulations of people and torture them for eternity

Well and the right thing to do whatever the case is to turn off the computer.

You still see that Yudkowski(?) guy being cited as an AI expert occasionally which is fun since he's just some weirdo who is scared of imaginary computers.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I've been reading some good articles on taxresearchuk and progressive pulse lately so sorry but im gonna share two in a couple giant quotes cause it's been more than a year since I read some decent political analysis.

quote:

Theresa May is, I suggest, setting out to fail. She made that clear yesterday.

She made her shadow cabinet arrive at ‘her’ manifesto launch in a bus that talked about her and not their party.

She’s chosen to ignore their collective opinion on immigration, which most think a key issue, when for once pragmatic opinion is on their side.

She’s clearly chosen hard Brexit: I predict a breakdown in all talks within nine months. Failure is written on all the cards.

Despite which she’s chosen to alienate business, which when she’s already disappointing them on Brexit is a strange strategy.

She’s alienating many in her party by hinting at tax rises, which will happen.

She’s also alienating all those who think free movement has merit.

She’s destabilising all those organisations, from farms to universities via the NHS and the building industry and banking that have relied on it.

She’s told half her MPs that their core philosophy is wrong. She may be right about right wing libertarianism, but she’s forgetting that those who believe in it have turned holding a grudge into an art form.

She’s alienated the old on pensions and social care.

The inheriting class are up in arms.

Those who appreciated a free school lunch and think breakfast is no substitute aren’t happy, although I accept that in educational terms the policy has merit.

And she’s given remarkably little to anyone, whether it be the NHS, education, investment, workers on rights, or anything else. Indeed, much of what she has said is just aspirational waffle. The discussion of R&D is an example.

And nor are there numbers: May does not want to hang herself.

She need not worry about that. She’s already made enough enemies in a day to ensure three things.

The first is that others will end her political career for her. They’ll be much faux acquiescence but the Daily Mail won’t buy this agenda for long.

Second, with a large majority she will discover ‘the bastards’ will rise again, and with a vengeance. She’s guaranteed her fiercest opponents will be on the Tory back benchers.

Third, there will be no lasting legacy of Mayism. The manifesto is a bid for long term control of the party and country. I suspect she’ll be lucky to make the 2022 election as leader. Not only is there no Mayism, there is no chance of success for this weird and unworkable mix of ideas that ultimately represent little more than a pragmatic attempt to appeal.

I stress, appeal is the goal. As much as Blair needed affection, so it seems does May. One wonders if there was enough love in her childhood vicarage because there is in this manifesto an attempt to appeal to all, being more left on economics than expected, and more right on social policy but without any of the Blair / Mandelson ability to spin that to win grudging loyalty.

In fact there’s only one real basis for her campaign when all is said and done, and that’s her appeal to be the favourite offspring to whom the best chance must be given whatever the cost in terms of alienation for all the rest, who will bide their time and get their retribution in due course.

What a sorry state of affairs.

And it’s a recipe for failure.

And from progressive pulse:

quote:

How are we going to pay for it?

When you listen to all the discussion about balancing the budget, about how any increase in spending needs to be matched by an increase in tax, why does no one mention that an increase in spending automatically generates extra tax?
There is no need to raise tax rates!

In fact, unless people choose to save the extra spend then it all comes back to the government as extra tax. In other words the extra spending is self funding.

This seems miraculous. Surely anyone who argues this way must be crazy—a believer in the magic money tree? Actually no, this statement follows from a very solid piece of mathematics that we all learnt at school. Unfortunately most journalists and many politicians were either not very good at maths or prefer not to explain how it really works. As voters, we should demand better.

Before getting to the maths, let’s try to answer a specific question. How much does an extra teacher cost? Or an extra nurse or an extra Doctor?

The naive answer is just to take the teachers salary, but this is wrong because a fraction of this comes back immediately because the teacher pays tax. To work out the net cost we need to discount all the extra tax paid due to the extra worker. In addition to income tax, NI and council tax, the worker also pays VAT, duties on fuel etc. The part that is not immediately repaid in tax creates extra income for others in the economy who consequently pay more tax than they did before. Excluding savings and tax avoidance, and all other things being equal, the maths tells us that the extra cost of the extra worker to current taxpayers is exactly zero!

The piece of maths that proves this is known as arithmetic progression—it says the sum of all the tax paid is equal to the initial spend. Alternatively, if we want to calculate the amount of government spend not returned in tax we can use a geometrical progression which works like this: For simplicity, let’s say that there is a 20 % tax on each exchange whether it is paying wages or VAT. For every £100 the government spends on the extra teacher, then £80 goes to the teacher and £20 goes back to the government. If the £80 is used to buy clothes £64 pounds goes to the shop, and another £16 back to the government. The £64 is mostly spent on wages for the employees, and another £12.80 goes back to the government. The geometrical progression tells us that after 40 such exchanges 99.99% of the money is returned to the government. The extra spend is self funding!

So if money is not the thing, what limits the number of public sector workers? The answer is supply and demand. If we try to create too many posts in public service we may drive up wages and drive down productivity by removing productive workers from other sectors. So the key is to decide if there is a demand, e.g., the economy is less productive than it could be because of crime, bad health or poor education. If the evidence is that we can improve things, then government spending is a simple win-win!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

You will end up with the fash becoming more violent and hostile towards the left creating a downward spiral of violence

Unlike normally where unopposed Nazis are very cuddly towards the left and seek peaceful means to deport/kill the Other.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Imagine if Hitler had had his head cracked early on by a deranged stalinist psychopath.

That would have been awful.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Depending on how it lands I think corbyns position is a good one that can work well.

Remember that even crazy trump voters partially voted for him because he was going to stop going out on random wars in the middle East which the public has been sick of for about 5 years now.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

jBrereton posted:

OK let's say the UK government somehow manages to patch things up in that whole neck of the woods and repair relations with the muslim community, that would be groovy if a little unlikely.

At that point you start getting the EDL and all that lot complaining that It's Illegal To Be English Nowadays etc. and kicking off (and let's face it, Brexit, which was more or less caused by English people feeling bad, is probably going to be more damaging than any prior terrorist attack on this country).

And then if you start making them your focus with pandering nationalist rhetoric the rUK all spins out and bits fly off the country and all sorts and it's just one of them.

We've seen what a couple of years of entirely reactive policy will do and it's a bit of a disaster, really.

So while I agree that reducing the amount of wars going on and that is good just on a moral level and as a way to move the discourse away from hasty violence, doing it to reduce the sum amount of terrorism seems a bit spurious.

This is very dumb, my friend are you alright?

E to be less of a dick. 7/7 was the last time I felt rage or despair over terrorism and I wanted to kill the bad men.
Then I realised that it was pretty clearly because we'd gone into iraq.

Since then we've attacked, what, 4 countries?
We never ever stopped the things that were clearly putting us in danger so now terrorist attacks just make me glance up and go "yeah, makes sense, seems like a thing a terrorist oval office would do".
Once we stop blasting our dick into every last wasps nest maybe your argument will make sense.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 26, 2017

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Lovechop posted:

ahh i love getting high off all this free NHS medication that i take just for the sake of it.

how can you be an MP and not know this poo poo works? drat.

The requirements of being an MP select for people who are out of touch not against.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

It's insane that the libdems are now speaking out in favour of interventionist foreign policy. Surely that's gonna completely divebomb whatever support they still have.

I vaguely remembering supporting them on those grounds back when they had Kennedy in charge who was the last decent libdem I can remember. Menzies just whined about ageism.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I still think FPTP is gonna do it's job and gently caress us.
Nearly everyone I know is gonna vote labour but is also in a non-labour safe seat so our votes won't matter.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

crispix posted:

There is absolutely no way she would do it b/c she thinks 99% of the population are idiot scumbags and wants them kept as far away from her as possible.

Your av reminds me there was that one PLP guy who got mad that Corby threatened to call his Da. Hahahahaha

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Actually that reminds me - I was going to set up a book for the election and completely forgot about it.

So here we go - forget vote share, that's for internal wrangling afterwards and arguments about FPTP, the important thing is who ends up running the country and how much they're going to have to fight their own backbenchers afterwards.

To enter, quote this post (or PM me if you'd prefer to enter anonymously) with the total amount of seats you think will be won by:

CON: Currently 331 including the Speaker
LAB: Currently 229
LD: Currently 9
Other: 81

Hell realm guess.
CON 410
LAB 183
LD 7
Other 50

Newspapers are just trying to sell papers by making us hype for a close finish.

British public probably won't vote for terrorist grandpa just because he has good policies.

Charity: Homeless Link

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

What part of that statement was alt right?

I'm a fence sitting radical centrist who's only interest is in the dankest and creamiest of memes

Not really replying to you but I can't think of a more succinct way to describe how the alt right like to describe themselves lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

If only we had voted for owen Smith....

• Locked thread