Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

jBrereton posted:

People understand that.

This statement will always be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The state should own all housing and means of production and everyone should get basic dividends from them and pay rent to the state with that. This of course with a strong investment in infrastructure and transport and distributed development that allows people to live anywhere comfortably.

IMO

^^^^ Isn't The Mirror the Sun's version of the Mail's group Metro?
I think that's just a joke.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Ewan posted:

Isn't that Kane from Red Alert?

To be fair, I'd much rather have Kane leading the UK than the Tories. At least he fulfilled his promise.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 1, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
When I'm drunk, horny and alone I don't go around messaging underage girls, but YMMV I guess?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Kurtofan posted:

cypher no

Nah he's just looking for the Wyld Stallyns

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Guavanaut posted:

I don't think Simon Danczuk should be having sex.

Never forget the Morning Star's perfect use of the creative linebreak.

As a web developer, manual linebreaks trigger murderous rage deep inside me. This must be the first time in my life I'm actually OK with the result.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
B-but COMMUNIST FLAG!!!! BAD!!!! NO VOTE!!! *gets hosed a million times in the rear end by Tory government*

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Polls~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

learnincurve posted:

My boomer dad still bangs on and on about how bananas were still rationed in the 1950s like it's justification for hanging on to his enormous 4 bedroom house where only three rooms get used, instead of moving to a smaller one and freeing it up for a family to buy. He also holds very strong opinions about imagrants coming over here and taking up all the houses that should be used for good honest Brits.

He's Australian.

Don't even get me started, loving immigrants are the worst, they come here and steal our jobs, eat our houses, buy our food, drink our polluted air, and they don't integrate! They should all get deported! Tories will build a great wall around the country, vote Tories.

* is immigrant *

Ewan posted:

So, who has the best summer BBQ recipes?

The best BBQ recipe is this:

- Get some argentinian meat and a bag of lumber coal. Flank steak and short ribs are the essential cuts.
- Start early. This whole process will take 4-6 hours
- Get a large grill, none of that pussy yankee backyard baseball BBQ stuff. It needs to be adjustable so you can raise and lower it over the embers
- Build a proper fire (google this, I dunno), break up the coals and spread the embers under the grill
- Rub some coarse salt on the meat, this is all the seasoning you should ever need, if you use BBQ sauce I will find you and kill you for ruining perfectly good cuts
- Put it on the fire
- What follows is several hours of slow-cooking the meat, turning it over, raising/lowering the grill, checking it, and drinking wine and talking
- Since you're European and used to lovely meats your first instinct will be to consider "rare" the best cooking point. I urge you to experiment a bit - this slow cooking open grill method, if done properly, will yield delicious brown caramelised fats and juicy juicy tender bites that are not red at all. But it's an acquired talent to cook the meat this way. Expect your first few asados to be a bit over/undercooked. You'll learn eventually.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 2, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Miftan posted:

I'm not sure I like this new direction for you.

What else can I say at this point other than "vote Labour even if you hate Corbyn", though?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

His Divine Shadow posted:

South american beef is some of the least ecologically friendly sources of beef in the world, so even if it's good, don't buy it.

What are you talking about? Argentinian beef is 100% free range.

knox_harrington posted:

You have no idea what you're talking about.

The only one in Europe that comes close is Įvila. Have you actually been to Argentina and eaten asado? NOTE: Argentinian eateries outside of Argentina do not count

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 2, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Pissflaps posted:

I have it was really disappointing.

You must have gone to a lovely place. Next time you go there shoot me a PM I'll give you a list of decent places. Also the best asado is the home-made one I'm afraid.

Or alternatively you're just being Pissflaps.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

knox_harrington posted:

Pretty weird to attempt to dismiss all European cuisine on the basis of your home cooking.

His Divine Shadow posted:

That's changing unfortunately:
https://www.dandc.eu/en/article/cattle-industry-argentina-changing-rapidly-not-better

Even so there's the matter of shippin meat across the globe when it can be farmed locally.

Nevermind, I concede, nuke my country, tia

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Pissflaps posted:

Try any funny business with the Falklands again and you might just get your wish.

Don't worry, we have a neoliberal government now. We can all be friends while privatising everything, under the glorious banner of unchecked capitalism.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Spuckuk posted:

TIL Argentinians are very protective over their overcooked beef.

When you live in a lovely country you take pride in what you can.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
To be fair, cornish pasties are terrible compared to empanadas, and I'm not budging on this one no matter what you say

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Remember, remember!
The Marks and Spencer,
The Trolley pushed and Yogurt thrown;
He wants to be Parliamentary
But this waste of dairy
Should never be forgot!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Would you destroy civilisation as we know it, murdering several billion humans, in order to save our country? YES OR NO?

To be fair they should just say "of course we would use nuclear weapons to blast an asteroid about to crash on Earth" and then the ball is in their court to clarify that they mean murdering browns.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

jabby posted:

Theresa May failing to look like a human being and managing to be repetitive in a three minute video:
https://twitter.com/theresa_may/status/859452229350195201

She has to be taking the piss out of the general public at this point

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

namesake posted:

I really hope this EU dinner thing keeps going or gets bigger with another disaster meeting, just keep chipping away at the soundbites. Eventually it's got to drive any pro-EU Tory to either election apathy or outright madness.

"We're all mad here"

The general public is grossly misinformed. The media focuses on silly soundbites and not on the really important stuff.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 2, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Looke posted:

I say strong you say stable

STRONG

I knew I'd seen that somewhere...

He also had a penchant for ridiculing himself on camera

(bit of an unfair comparison though - this man made generations of children laugh and was extremely chill, imagine Fred Rogers but doing comedy acts for kids)

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 2, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Mugatu's Derelicte made a big impact I see

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I just got a LibDem leaflet in the mail saying

quote:

Only the Liberal Democrats are campaigning to stop the disaster of Brexit becoming a catastrophe that harms our city forever.

And even if you are unable to vote on 8th June, please know this: you are as entitled to be represented by your local MP as anyone else who lives here.

Just because you can't vote in June doesn't mean you can't make your voice heard in other ways. I'm asking you to volunteer with the Liberal Democrats by delivering leaflets or knocking on doors, making a donation and put(sic) up a poster in the window to show your friends and neighbours the strength of our campaign

It also says both Conservatives and Labour voted for hard Brexit and refused a referendum on a final deal.

Just lol.

(I didn't get anything from either Labour or Conservatives though)

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Just shaking my head at people that can't appreciate the beauty of a nice handcrafted leather belt.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Because it reminds you of your steak?

It reminds me of the babe.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
While this may seem like a very artificial distinction to make for people earning barely enough to survive (and I've been in a situation much much worse than that, mind you, so I know what I'm about to say feels from that perspective), the top 1% in income is a veeeery, very different thing from the top 1% in accumulated wealth, if only for the fact that the curve seems to grow exponentially at the extreme.

However, on the subject of $100 million being easy, please bring the guillotine. How can a mind get so broken as to be able to think that, much less say it out loud and expect not to get burned at the stake?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Thank god I'm not playing a drinking game with "strong and stable". I kept watching that video and towards the end I thought "hmm wow she didn't say- ah there it is"

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Capitalism is one grand failure for everyone involved. Given that the rich are so miserable, one has to wonder why the gently caress they don't do something to change the system - they certainly hold all the cards needed to make it happen.

Greed is a hell of a drug I guess. And not even one of the fun ones.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Bobstar posted:

Which reminds me, I seem to remember a brief panic when some newspaper "found out" about South American people sometimes being able to get EU passports via grandparents (Pochoclo confirm/deny I'm getting this right?), and the entire continent would be moving here any day.

Brief panic? "Found out"? This has been going on for many decades, it's not some weird trick we don't want you to know. The country where this happens the most is incidentally Argentina because of how many people there are second/third generation Spanish/Italian (the foremost sources of immigration Argentina had for a long, long time).
It is quite easy if you have Spanish/Italian ancestry, but somehow the entire country doesn't just leave. I mean, take me for example, I got the dual citizenship, yes, I came here, but I have siblings who didn't and are not interested at all, and I know pleeeeenty of people who just got the EU passport for "easier tourism". It also takes quite a bit of money for the plane trip and accomodation and surviving until you find a job. Argentina is not a complete hellhole, so mostly you get single ambitious professionals who get high paid jobs and pay high taxes.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Bobstar posted:

Yes, I meant found out in the tabloid sense, as in decided to use that day's anger target.

Similar to when the Sun (I think) "found out" about the type of school I went to

Oh I know it was some Mail/Sun bullshit, the questions were just rhetorical.

But yeah I have like the worst timing possible, I finally decide to move here and lol Brexit.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
In a strange twist straight out of The Art of War, the Tories defeated the UKIP by becoming them.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
This 8th of June vote for the new coalition:

- Don't Know
- Not Sure
- White Van Man
and the newly added:
- Tin Man

For a Britain that is not literally Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 4, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
It's funny how some people focus on stuff like that and not on, say, underground trains being giant metal snakes barrelling at high speeds at you with no barrier inbetween. Just stick out a leg and boom, it loving explodes in a shower of gore. No safety measures stopping you from doing that. No way to stop it. And still millions of people take the tube every month.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

forkboy84 posted:

I really want to know where leon trotsky 2012 thinks the poverty line is. $100k?

It's pure garbage anyway. You could be stupidly wealthy and have £500 million in the bank but have an income of 0 (or a net loss!) a year because your investments sucked but you're still filthy rich, and you can have an income of £200k from work but it's your only source of income and you don't yet have enough amassed capital and you're still working class and if you get fired and can't get a job that good again and didn't save then you're hosed same as everyone else.

I can't believe we're having the "what's a middle class" talk again. It's easy:

- If you depend solely on your work income then you're working class, no matter how much you make (notice though, that a couple years with a high income will very likely put you in either middle class or the petit-bourgouise)
- If you depend mostly on your work income but you've got some property that you rent out, or some investments that net you some extra cash then you're petit-bourgouise or middle-class lite
- If you own a company and hire others to work for you but work alongside them and also depend on the income of said company, then you're middle class
- If you own a large amount of capital that you invest to make more capital and don't depend on ANY income from anything (i.e. you can comfortably survive on your capital until the day you die) then you're the capital class and my friend, the guillotine is waiting

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Guavanaut posted:

Where do freelancers and people who own their own business but without employees fall? Assuming that they depend on the work to survive and it's not bullshit JobCentre+ 'you should start a business' stuff.

Working class.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
At the proper time, Blue Labour would take Blair from his break to put him back into politics and stand as candidate for Labour leadership. Then all parties would have become neoliberal; free and wild and beyond good and evil, with laws and morals thrown aside and all men on zero hour contracts, with high unemployment and no NHS. Then the liberated Friedman apologists would teach them new ways to privatise and destroy social safety nets and transfer wealth to the obscenely rich, and all the Union would flame with a holocaust of freedom of the markets.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Every day we drift further from Andraste's light.

We need to find the 13 Treasures to make Britain great again and drive away the foreign invaders. You all are tainted by the seed of the Romans, the Angles, the Saxons and the Normans, so I, as a true Celtic descendant, am the most qualified to lead this most holy quest.

Hir yn byw Prydain

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
At this point it looks like we got ~5 years left before everything goes to hell everywhere. Signs of a global crisis coming, but then again we get one every 10 years or so. At least we didn't get a literal nazi in power in France... for now.

Still, 35% of french voters voted for a literal nazi. We learned gently caress-all as a species from World War 2, I see.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 7, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Makes sense, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they proposed making the UK the British Empire again and appointing May as Emperor-in-chief. Wouldn't be surprised if people voted for it, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
What's wrong with nationalising, besides the neoliberals spitting out the usual garbage e.g. "state-run companies are inefficient, it will generate deficit, we need free market and austerity"

• Locked thread