Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Wealthy donors without fail think themselves bigger than the party, and see any success of the party as being related directly to them. They normally don't stand once the amount of work involved in running, the level of press scrutiny they would receive and how expensive it ends up being becomes clear to them. They always give themselves an out when they make their declarations. The UKP guy said he would only stand against the UKIP traitor, Foster says only if the locals are a "disaster" without establishing what would qualify as such for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

bessantj posted:

Such a strange way to state things, like she's trying to win their votes.

It's consistent with the language she uses in leaks from cabinet meetings. This is apparently how she interacts with people.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

We are so hosed.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Baron Corbyn posted:

are we sure this isn't a joke about the fact as a Luxembourger, Juncker does in fact speak German or am I being way too optimistic?

No Tony Parsons is actually a massive idiot.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Angepain posted:

Oh hey, you're not wrong. I'm still finding it hard to believe a real person wrote that tweet in any kind of seriousness but the evidence seems to point that way.

Parsons reignited his career by writing worse for the Mail after Maddie disappeared, and has pretty much made a career out of writing this poo poo, and worst of all believing it. To be entirely honest he's not been the same since his ma died at which point his attitude towards the health service did a complete 180.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

TinTower posted:

The girl Danczuk was sexting was interviewing for a job in his constituency office, IIRC.

She was. He then tried to bribe her into posing for a photo with him to show that there was no hard feelings on her part and so he could contritely apologise, an act that was not related to the Sun and a media company offering him ten grand for the story and photo.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I don't really fancy her chances, that seat has never really been in play even when Loughton was hit with scandals.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Sometimes I look at May's polling as a strong leader and wonder what the gently caress would happen if the conservatives ever did have an actual charismatic strongman as leader.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

"and never wrong"

And loving never wrong
What kind of question is this

The parody sort.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

In a fit of rage following his trolling this afteroon Bryn Phillips has announced he's standing as an independent in Sidcup to oppose the hard left Labour party.

He literally got trolled by twitter into standing as an mp.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I feel like I'm going to have to follow plucky young Bryn Phillips campaign in Sidcup having now read his piece in the Guardian about how he was involved in the 2011 London riots.

quote:

But back in August 2011, to my shame, I played a role in that summer of disorder. I had lost my job, my home, and I was angry with the world. What did I do? I threw a yogurt in the air, I pushed over a shopping trolley and I passed a bottle of stolen wine into the hands of a stranger. Of course my troubles at the time don’t excuse my behaviour, but they do help me understand the crazy choices I made.

Sometime afterwards I presented myself to the police. Though I had injured no one, I was charged with two counts of violent disorder. I was also charged with burglary – non-domestic. This is what those “exemplary sentences” looked like. Yet standing in the dock I knew I had done something wrong and so I simply pleaded guilty.

The face of anarchy in the UK.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

That's a Jim Hacker level performance.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

It's pretty cool that in their attempts to pass off the reports about the dinner with Juncker as just Brussels gossip they've managed to confirm pretty much all of the details of it, from the expectation to get citizens status done by June through to the whole "lets make Brexit a success" line.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

May's name on the billboards tallies with that video May's team put out earlier where the word conservative was used twice in 3 minutes and in both instances was used in the context of "my candidates, my conservatives."

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I never thought I would long for the days of the pig fucker, but well here we are.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Didn’t realize the Scots became accelerationists

They didn't. The Tories just successfully became the Unionist party in Scotland.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

JFairfax posted:

i think an indepedent scotchland will have a conservative party and also be full of cunts

Please don't force Coohoolin to defend our honour on our behalf again.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Gove just on the radio to claim that the Tories general election strategy is not to try and snatch up all the UKIP voters, even as the results today show that's exactly what is happening and all the Conservative advertising so far has entirely been focused on May vs Europe.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Tory gains up in Scotland up to 121 seats, mostly taken from Labour.

I don't really feel confident in predicting how this is going to turn out for the general in Scotland, outside of saying the Tories have now more or less sown up Dumfries and Galloway.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

haakman posted:

Norwich report: city council is Labour. 0 Tory seats.

Norfolk on the other hand has gone Tory. Suffolk much the same (one area had 80% turnout).

You should all move to Norwich.

A friend of a friend just got elected to Norwich city council. It's been one of the few rays of sunshine for me today.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

If he had anything about him he'd be writing his resignation letter.

I'm not convinced the leader of a political party writing his resignation letter 4 weeks before a general election would do anything positive for their party regardless of their popularity level. I don't think the new manager bounce works this close to an election.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

mediadave posted:

BTW, how safe are Clive Lewis etc?

It's hard to say that anyone with a less than 10,000 seat majority is safe, but Lewis remains popular locally, has been involved in the local campaign and has good visibility and saw all of the local council seats in his seat get returned comfortably for labour. There's people with larger majorities than him in 2015 that I think are in a lot more danger.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Might be worth keeping an eye on whats going on with Clive Lewis. Yesterday he was campaigning through Norwich in the company of Yanis Varoufakis, not doing a formal photo shoot but making sure to be photographed by as many passer byes as possible, and in turn to make sure Yanis was photographed with the local labour councillors. This comes a couple of days after he made his comments to the press about the need to adopt a new position against May's on Brexit, a point that he's made again this afternoon. Yanis at the moment is getting a fair amount of publicity, not only in the Guardian but also in some of the Tory press - the Torygraph for example had a fairly good article on him with a nice write up on him in general.

He's getting his pieces into place.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

How long would it take a doctor fresh out of uni to clear their student debts?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Good news for South Thanet, Zebadiah Abu-Obadiah of Al-Zebabist Nation of Ooog has announced he is standing again.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I was going to say that under the Cooper we would have the added bonus of the Tories running to the left of her on law and order, but then I realised that May would just take it as a challenge and we would be facing a referendum on restoring the death penalty in six months time.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Ora Tzo posted:

How goes the descent into Brexitgeddon?

Strong and Stable.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

The thing is that Cooper hasn't exactly vanished away, she's just not participating in the national campaign and instead is getting friendly journo's to write copy for her at a more regional level. See for example Richard Heller's piece in the yorkshire post which is pretty much "Cooper is our only hope and then only if every labour backbencher stabs Corbyn in the back on Thursday."

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...do-it-1-8527482

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Latest Tory adverts:

https://twitter.com/alexGspence/status/861574743727775744

Interesting that the Tories are putting out adverts that could be interpreted as "Trump and Brexit were bad things."

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

May and husband are on the one show tomorrow night. So there's some nice prime time coverage for them without any threat of awkward questions or any real political engagement.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Two hours until the BBC gives May 20 minutes of prime time tv where the most serious political question she will face will probably come about Eurovision. The one show has been getting some criticism over this, and after their dismissive comments at the weekend about how they would be happy to have "Mr and Mrs Corbyn" on the show in the future tonight they've revealed that they will be announcing tonight their plans for engagement with the other political parties on tonights show.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Two minutes in to May's One Show appearance. May has said Strong and Stable four times.

Edit: The hosts just announced they won't be talking about politics with May, instead talking about her career, values and relationship with her husband. It's all rather chummy, and she's just made a joke about Eurovision.

Skinty McEdger fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 9, 2017

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

I'd have said it was for the heavily lobotomised but I'm a snob.

This is the first episode I've seen in years. It's somehow worse than I remember.

Corbyn has been announced as being on at some point before the election.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

"Prime minister how would you describe your childhood?"

"Strong and Stable."

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

She got asked the one question that every female politician always gets asked in these puff pieces that always annoys me because it's never asked of male politicians. "Do you do the cooking? Can you cook?"

Also an anecdote about how her shoes inspired someone to get a job in parliament, and how she is a role model for young women wanting to get into politics because they can look at her and see a woman who likes shoes and emphasise with her.

It was poo poo, she's going to get a bump from it.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

The nearest they came was a question about whether things were becoming more presidential. Otherwise it was completely softball all the way.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

It's not really a secret that the Tories pushed for the One Show bit to be done before any other tv appearances, with the understanding if the BBC stitched them up they would pull out of the others.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Bright side, I think Danczuk just managed to cost himself the sun job he had lined up in record time.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I looked more into this, and it turns out that the Mail Online yesterday named him as the alleged rapist and claimed the police were going to interview him, then the Sun reported the Mail's report. No one else was willing to go near the story for fear of legal action until Danczuk denied it at which point everyone else barrelled in to report his denial (and thus by implication the allegation).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

It's been leaked without the costing that they said would come out alongside it. Which pretty much gives the Tories the perfect opportunity to get the narrative set as "Labour can't afford this."

It's good stuff though.

• Locked thread