Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I love that May's response to the Juncker dinner account is to basically go "Nuh-uhh, strong and stable, get the best deal". A bit like when people would accuse the Russians of helping Trump he'd go "No way, there is no need to worry about contact between my guys and the Russians - but the Russians are legit cool and great, and Putin is strong and sexy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I hope are brave boys don't get bombed actually

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The Greens party political broadcast I just saw was a real work of art. It must be fun maoimg these when you know you won't win.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've never notified "The Week" before but I love its front page about the Cult of May (almost as much as I love autocorrect adding an apostrophe whenever I write "its" correctly. It also just tried to change "write" to "wrote" JFC)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Double post, I finally understand

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 20, 2017

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

CoolCab posted:

It's a fantastic example of presenting information in a way that pushes a specific narrative. Lets have an example. Say, I wanted to push a poll that suggested that we should deport Pissflaps, specifically to a place with no internet access. Now, the general population is not going to have much of an opinion on this, obviously (I would hope and imagine not one in one million hold this opinion) which both plays against my narrative, but also to borrow my favorite law term, even an idiot in a hurry would question if that's a useful sample or result.

So, instead of picking at random, I ask people who know Pissflaps. Except that's not actually a useful sample for my narrative either because I imagine you being a decent human being in your everyday activities would mean that if we had a representative sample of people who know you, the pro-exile camp is going to be dwarfed by people who would absolutely vouch for you (as would nearly almost everyone). So instead, I am careful in how I select "people who know Pissflaps." Say, I open a poll in this thread. This is going to select for people who have the most likelihood of holding that extreme position, and, once I've done that I can rephrase the results and highlight the elements that most support my narrative.

Like that old Texan sharpshooter who empties a clip at a barn at random and then draws his target where his shots happened to hit, I might be able to say "of the people who know Pissflaps 7/10 would like him exiled to Sealand. This sample was selected from primarily from a demographic of 18-40s, mostly university educated men who classify themselves as politically engaged" and that's true, but at the same time, I could also say "primarily from a demographic who are more likely to own a poster of an animated comedy show, eat nachos as a meal more then once a week on average and have been affiliated with more then five political parties in their lifetimes" because I suspect that might be true as well.

It's the reason you get the Sun polls that prove 90% of the population supports grinding foreigners into a fine gruel which would replace Jobseekers Allowance.

Can I get a tldrpls, all I can figure out from that post is that pissflaps sucks and I already knew that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah this totally isn't just US leakers trying to justify their existence after getting told off

• Locked thread