Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Pochoclo posted:

At this point it looks like we got ~5 years left before everything goes to hell everywhere. Signs of a global crisis coming, but then again we get one every 10 years or so. At least we didn't get a literal nazi in power in France... for now.

Still, 35% of french voters voted for a literal nazi. We learned gently caress-all as a species from World War 2, I see.

Human beings don't learn a lot socially generation to generation as far as anyone can tell - we all get to make the same mistakes over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

jabby posted:

Some prick 'expert' on BBC news saying that it's impossible to raise much money from the rich because they already pay such a high percentage of taxes and their tax burden has actually gone up a lot over the last seven years.

Someone remind me when taxes on the rich were increased in the last seven years?

I've gone from sleeping on friends sofas to earning quite a bit (by total fluke, studying paid off at loving looooong last). When I tell anyone that I want taxes to go up, they either laugh at me or think I'm making it up. If you taxed me an extra 10%, It'd just take a bit longer to do what I want to do, and at the same time it'd help a whole bunch of people. Which is pretty much what I want.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Bobstar posted:

I had a good discussion with a (lefty) doctor friend, back in the Cameron days, where we agreed that the NHS needed more money, and the most efficient way to do that was through general taxation, but he argued that this wouldn't go down well in Britain, so maybe some other payment stream (pay £10 at the GP, or everyone pays £50 a month "health insurance", or something) would be necessary. Even if you'd need to raise more from this system to get to the same place, and even if it would have adverse effects.

My assertion that people like me should pay more tax were met with "well yes, but the other people like you wouldn't go for it".

The perverse thing being, "like me" was a comfortable amount of money relative to a Big Mac, or an iMac, or a holiday. But housing costs were such (didn't help that my job was in the very centre of London) that a juicy tax increase would actually have been detrimental.

Hmmm if only housing costs didn't reflect a real thing, and could be cut in half and then half of that half taken in income tax (certainly for the okly-off), leaving both the people and the country better off.

E: Miftan, yep that makes people :confused: even more than "I should definitely be paying more income tax"

It was a hell of a day when I realised I'd be paying enough tax to fund a student nurse for a year. For me personally, that was awesome - made me want to do more. Unfortunately a lot of people don't seem to think beyond "I've paid money, how is that going to benefit me? (and don't let those dole scummers have any!)". Ugh. I might be slightly Communist, so I'm probably a bad person to judge this stuff.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Benjamin Arthur posted:

He's a boring narcissist who feeds in this thread, not surprised when he's not posting here he's looking for more attention in PMs.

Pissflaps is basically the kind of voter that you need to motivate to vote to get Labour into power. We will lose if it can't be done. Simple as that.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Scikar posted:

I know it's standard waffling politician speak, but am I the only one who finds May's "we've been very clear on this" really condescending? It's one thing to say "let me be clear" and then avoid the question, but when she says "we've been very clear on this" the implication is that whoever is asking just isn't smart enough to understand a simple answer. It seems like she is so used to saying it to Corbyn during PMQs that she forgot it's not a very good look to deploy against voters. But she said it a lot anyway, even during audience questions, since it's her favourite stalling line.

You're not the only one, that's the exact same crap I see when people (in my line of work) are trying to shut down a conversation with a client. The subtext being "I don't want this conversation to continue".

• Locked thread