Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Zalakwe posted:

This guy clearly going for the UKMT vote - https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/415590/auschwitz-post-fife-candidate-suggests-tories-should-kill-themselves/.

"Former Labour member Deek Jackson, who came close to being selected as a party candidate, published a parody of a Conservative poster which superimposed an image of the Nazi death camp.

When challenged, he said: “Far from apologising, I think all Conservatives should commit suicide and the rid the planet of a parasitic life form robbing the rest of us of our birthright, a life free from exploitation."

Fife!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

LeoMarr posted:

is TM going to deport eu citizens before the snap election? I always just walk into a london office and vote. I never have shown identity..

EU citizens can't vote in the general election.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/859078057218506753

This is bad for Simon Danczuk.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

blowfish posted:

Also, most of them would be condemned as unfit for human habitation in a civilised country.

I was delivering campaign letters in what was honestly the most depressing council estate I've ever seen in my life last night. People deserve proper homes.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

I think that as time goes on the 'divorce bill' will morph into an amount of money we contribute on an ongoing basis to the EU in return for some of the benefits of membership.

Another great Pissflaps prediction given the conciliatory Theresa May has decided to adopt today.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pochoclo posted:

In a strange twist straight out of The Art of War, the Tories defeated the UKIP by becoming them.

So basically, it's the opposite of Star Wars.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Queen Endorses Corbyn

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

LemonDrizzle posted:

screw those filthy eurowogs we're taking our money and going home in a huff

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/34754...ory-government/

The nuclear option is doing something that ensures the EU will completely refuse to give us any deal? :what:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

I expect the idea is there is the threat from the EU of no deal then this is the strongest response the UK could retaliate with.

It's a loving stupid idea.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

Hopefully it won't come to that but it has to be a backstop option, surely?

Credible threats have to be on the same magnitude as the threat they're supposed to counter. This is more like a toddler having a tantrum in the supermarket hoping the grown ups will cave in and buy them all the sweeties.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

Reminder: Everything Brexit related coming from the UK government is meant for internal consumption only until the polls close on election day. If you want to go full tinfoil even the leaks about the dinner could have been orchestrated to give May an easy opponent to beat up on while not even engaging her internal opposition, given that even the EU has an interest to see May win as much high as possible.

It doesn't matter that it's "meant" for domestic political posturing it's still going to have a negative effect. If the electorates in EU nations think we're all cunts then the EU won't want to give us a good deal because they all too have domestic political concerns of their own.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Seems pretty dumb they announced this on an election day.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

His Divine Shadow posted:

I thought someone said that was a fake account earlier? Or at least not official.

It's not "fake" per se. But it says right in the profile that they aren't an official account.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Bobstar posted:

Ah yes, the "loop of doom" we called it. In our case the entry point into the loop of doom was the flat - they didn't care about a bank account so long as they got their money. Other countries may vary.

When my partner moved over from France the bank wouldn't accept a written declaration from me as proof of address (I own the flat, so no letting agent, and bank with the bank so they could obviously check their own records to verify I live there) and insisted we get a utility or council tax bill with her name on it for "security/fraud" reasons I pointed out that neither the utility companies or council would perform any checks and just take our word for it they just looked at us blankly and reiterated it was for security reasons.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Jose posted:

I've received a letter from a debt collection agency about outstanding british gas payment. I paid british gas' final bill after changing suppliers am I going to get spammed by these people if i reply?

I'd call British Gas and not the debt collection bastards.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Bobstar posted:

Haha, yes, I think I've mentioned this before, but much as I don't trust any British government not to leave a hypothetical ID database on a train, there is a certain convenience to being officially registered as living somewhere/existing, with a magic number that unlocks services.

Like an electoral register, perhaps?

awesome-express posted:

When I was opening a business bank account I tried doing it through HSBC. They told me they needed statements from my personal bank account for *security* reasons. I do personal banking with HSBC, and they said they can't accept HSBC statements.

:what:

The thing with personal banking is that it's really hard to do lots of things without a bank account and you don't want to have to piss about for a week or two gathering their arbitrary evidence when you can present perfectly reasonable evidence to the immediately!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

https://twitter.com/BrianElects/status/860151498470297600

I'm loving this new parody account

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

jBrereton posted:

*nearly two thirds of states turn red*

"I feel like the ideals of Bernie Sanders will come around any day now" I say as corporate tax drops twenty points, envrionmental regs are binned, and healthcare and social security is gutted to pay for military expansion

Bernie would have won. If for no other reason than the Comey letters wouldn't have happened.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

jBrereton posted:

Yeah okay bud.

You disagree? There's a good argument that it cost Clinton the election. Why would you think Bernie would've been in a worse situation otherwise than Clinton? Because the neoliberals would have all gone for Trump or something?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

TinTower posted:

According to everyone's favourite psephologist John Curtice, UKIP are down about by about 15%.

They've also lost every single seat they were defending. Every. Single. One.

This may mean that they'll be lucky to hit 8% of the vote on a map that went 22% UKIP in 2013.

Very little mention of the Lib Dem Fightback in this post.

It's unclear to me how Corbyn critics handle a Labour defeat where the Lib Dems collapse even further. If the answer is be right wing then we might as well just abolish political parties.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

TinTower posted:

I'd like Labour to attack the government instead of the Lib Dems too. :shobon:

e: these local elections are weird; the Tories are making net gains but are losing council leaders.

You have literally spent the last two years attacking Labour. So gently caress off you liberal collaborator.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

TinTower posted:

Labour wasted at least one PPB going into the European elections in 2014 attacking the Lib Dems instead of the Tories or UKIP.

And then they threw hundreds of thousands of pounds into unseating Lib Dem MPs in the South West. Which went very well.

Your party was in government with the Conservatives. Your current leader didn't rule out doing the same.

gently caress. Off.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

Not sure what all the high emotion is for - last night's result has been on the cards for months.

This is the natural consequence of having Jeremy Corbyn as leader. People do not want to vote for a party lead by him.

June will be even worse.

The Conservatives soaking up the UKIP votes because they've adopted all of UKIP's policies is a consequence of Jeremy Corbyn being leader?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

When you demand labour is lead by somebody with a chance in hell of becoming prime minister I might believe you give a gently caress about people dying because of Tory governments.

How does the Lib Dems losing ground fit into your narrative? You wanted Labour to be more pro-Remain. The centrist pro-remain party isn't doing any better? Isn't he fact of the matter that a lot of people want a right wing Brexit and that's what they're voting for?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

UKIP actually gained a seat.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/860465132333412354

Edit: Better result for Labour I guess

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/860473479984021504

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

He's right. Let's make food poverty history by increasing benefits, ending sanctions, and a £10 minimum wage.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 8, 2017

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Wales voted for Brexit. People aren't voting for the Conservative party. They're voting for the Theresa May Brexit Government.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Zephro posted:

You have to wonder if this is a gateway drug, though, the way UKIP seems to have been a gateway drug to Toryism for a bunch of former Labour voters.

The combination of Brexit and the thousand year Tory reich is going to suck so bad. Tempted to pick a sunny EU country and move there.

Meh. I think it's so attached to Brexit I don't see it lasting beyond that. Same goes for the anti-Corbyn stay at home crowd, although that's probably mostly the same crowd as the Miliband isn't strong enough to stand up the to the SNP lot.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

The people who celebrated Corbyn's ascension and victory when he was challenged. The reason that the Conservatives can do whatever they feel like is because there is no effective opposition.

And before people tell me how Corbyn has all these great policy ideas, I'd like to quote Mr. Cartmenez "Look at the scoreboard, amigo"

No, the reason the Conservatives can do what they like is because of Brexit.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Tuition fees are the biggest red herring in the loving world for the left. They don't impact the poorest because they only hit you once you earn above £21k which isn't living like a king or anything, but is still appreciable income. Even then, they're scaled in such a way that you're not going to be earning less if you hit that threshold.

So effectively the abolition of tuition fees allow the middle classes to do better at the cost of income to the state that could be distributed to the poorest and they're not proven to have a significant impact on university application. Even if they were, the very cash channeled from the rich fucker who earns £100k at Goldman could be channeled to provide much poorer people better access to university education.

The lib dems were loving idiots for supporting their abolition and labour are just as bad.

So someone from a rich family who pays the fees up front pays £27k while someone on a middling public sector income pays ~£80k over 30 years. Rightio.

You're a loving moron. Tuition fees aren't terrible because of their effect on just the poorest. They're terrible because they're bad for everyone except the richest.

The only red herring is claiming scrapping tuition fees is just a big bung to the middle class whilst completely ignoring we have a thing called income tax.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Someone who is earning £25k after university is now only paying 1% less in their marginal tax than someone older earning over £45k. It's an intergenerational flat tax for anyone on a normal income.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

jabby posted:

So Jess Phillips has broken cover, to give an interview in which she complains about Corbyn, brings up train-gate as evidence of his dishonesty, says the party 'has another fight on it's hands' removing him after the election, and expresses the wish to be leader herself in the future. She also manages to use the words 'bullshit', 'arse' and 'dick' all in one short interview

Once upon a time I was genuinely on the fence about her, but there really is nothing more unappealing in a politician than naked ambition.

Maybe I'm wrong but didn't Jess once give an interview where she stated there's no point in doing anything unless you see yourself rising to the top?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

jabby posted:

A few of Corbyns policies are indeed similar to Milliband, but the big picture stuff, particularly about billions of borrowed infrastructure investment, is diametrically opposed. Milliband was entirely behind the narrative of austerity and of cutting benefits for skivers. People comparing the two are conveniently ignoring ex shadow cabinet ministers literally saying they were going to be tougher on benefits recipients and criminals than the Tories, and even making a weaker pledge on NHS funding than the Tories.

In Red Ed's defense it was Balls who drove that economic stuff and apparently they disagreed about it.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

Well yeah the dictionary has a lot of words in it but most people don't know very much of it. I am pretty sure all the figures I've heard for the actual number of words most people will use is a few thousand at most. It's still quite a lot.

IIRC from studying linguistics a decade ago most people rarely use more than ~2k common words. Maybe some nerds are gonna stick in hard words but those people weren't choosing lovely passwords to begin with. I remember reading a fascinating article a couple of years ago about how crackers were using hacked password databases to produce Markov chain probabilistic models for helping to brute force hashed passwords. But based on the passwords family members have shared with me for various reasons it doesn't matter how much good advice you give people they'll still choose lovely passwords for convenience.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

CYBER HACKERS

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Another Person posted:

Basically, having it all in house would either require a lot of money and connections with centres of learning (to train them for you), or it would require a lot of money and even more administration and internal organisation (for you to train them yourself).

Given how much money has been blown on contractors having a serious in house capability is probably the best long term solution.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-2017-james-heappey-tory-mp-referendum-scottish-national-party-a7735311.html

quote:

Tory MP 'told schoolgirl to "f*** off back to Scotland" when she said she'd vote for independence'

Conservative candidate James Heappey insists foul-mouthed outburst in front of schoolchildren was ‘intended only as a joke’

Hilarious!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

hakimashou posted:

:eyepop:

That stuff is actually a deal breaker for me. I couldn't vote for labour after learning corbyn believed that.

The tories may be a threat to the people of britain, but anti-NATO quislings are threat to the whole democratic world and all the people in it.

Trump and Erdogan have made NATO a complete joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

"haha we should disband NATO and leave Eastern Europe open to be sucked into Russia's sphere of influence"

Or we could have a defence pact lead by the EU which isn't a front for US interests.

• Locked thread