Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Zalakwe posted:

This guy clearly going for the UKMT vote - https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/415590/auschwitz-post-fife-candidate-suggests-tories-should-kill-themselves/.

"Former Labour member Deek Jackson, who came close to being selected as a party candidate, published a parody of a Conservative poster which superimposed an image of the Nazi death camp.

When challenged, he said: “Far from apologising, I think all Conservatives should commit suicide and the rid the planet of a parasitic life form robbing the rest of us of our birthright, a life free from exploitation."

Deek Jackson?

This guy?

Fair to say you may be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Alchenar posted:

It's a dog whistle sneer, which everyone noticed immediately. Her explanation was "It was a house covered in British flags. I've never seen anything like it before. It had three huge flags covering the whole house. I thought it was remarkable. I've never seen a house completely covered in flags."

She tweeted dozens of images that day with similar captions because she was out campaigning and taking pictures as she went. It was not a sneer until the media made it one.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/ruthdavidsonmsp/status/863663807859757056

https://twitter.com/thalestral/status/863690782972227584

Someone tell me again about how Ruth Davidson is one of the good ones.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Ewan posted:

Newspapers should be coming out soon-ish with formal "who we are supporting"? The Times is particularly interesting to me, as they don't hold back from critical anti Tory posts and have in the past (most recently 2005) supported Labour. FT often seems anti Con recently too, although I would suspect they'd tend towards Lib Dem.

2015:
Express: UKIP
Mail: Con
Mirror: Lab
Sun: Con
Times: Con
Telegraph: Con
Guardian: Lab
Independent: Lib Dem
FT: Con

My predictions:
Express: Con
Mail: Con
Mirror: Lab (already declared)
Sun: Con
Times: Con or Lib Dem
Telegraph: Con
Guardian: Lab
Independent: Lab
FT: Lib Dem

The Guardian will be liberals because they're a festering pool of turds and they've supported them a lot in the past too.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Ewan posted:

- Will bring the two worst performing rail franchises under a Gov-run company

Why only and exactly two, what is the reasoning behind that? Other than to be somewhere in between Nationalised and Privatised of course.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

LemonDrizzle posted:

The measure in question only applies to people who literally have enough wealth to buy a brand new private submersible, and guarantees that their inheritors will also receive at least enough wealth to buy a private submersible,

No, they are people who own a home who would guarantee that their children will receive a home.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

It. It's happening.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Using 'Theresa May's team' isn't a 4d chess move to throw the election and pin it on her (leave it to the UKMT to assume that it's totally normal for parties to deliberately do everything they can to lose an election), it's because the Conservative brand is still toxic yet May is the most popular PM ever. In all records. Her brand lifts all boats.

Well, up until this last week at least.

That's because nobody had really seen anything outside of the lionisation the tabs have been giving her. Her popularity was the softest kind of popularity and it started melting away the moment the campaign started and people actually started paying attention to her.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

DesperateDan posted:

I reckon the odds are good that parts of the PLP will try to make corbyn resign if he loving wins it

Well yeah, it's constantly shifting. When it looked like Labour would get a hiding, they say he should go if he leads Labour to a massive loss. When it looked like they'll exceed the vote share of the last election, that isn't a yardstick and Labour should be aiming to improve on that. Now it looks like Labour will improve on that the issue will suddenly become that Labour should be winning most seats and if that seems likely that they should be winning a majority and if that ever seems likely that they should be winning a large one. Nothing will ever be good enough to shut up the Labour right.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

lmao

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

winegums posted:

Diane Abbott is bad. She's on the front bench purely because she's an ally of Corbyn, which speaks volumes to how desperate he was to find a handful of people in the Labour party who aren't ratfucking backstabbing shitheels.

May be partly to do with the way most of his previous shadow cabinet stepped down to try and force him out. She had a much less prominent position in that one.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Namtab posted:

Wasn't she shadow health before?

She was shadow secretary for International Development which is basically a nothing position, after the chicken coup she was given health and then given her current role after Andy Burnham hosed off.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Zephro posted:

https://www.ft.com/content/4ebc8f1e-43c0-11e7-8d27-59b4dd6296b8

This is what we'd been assuming, I think, but nice to see it confirmed.

Maybe this time... this time will be different :downs:

Isn't it the case that polls have generally always used a persons claimed likeleyhood if voting as the weighting until now and some have just hanged it after the 2015 polls being wrong? Perhaps 2015 was an aberration rather than the new norm.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

TheRat posted:

Here's Corbyn vs Small Business Man for those who missed it:

https://twitter.com/Rhammified/status/869315886225788931

I'm a small business man. Can you explain to me why I shouldn't have all of the money?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Rakosi posted:

Someone from the audience did shout at May that Labour's policies were fully costed during last night's 'debate'. As bad as the Tories have been at giving figures it's a bit of a double take to forgive your own guy for doing the same thing. It's not a lot to ask of any prospective prime minister to know the figures on key bits of their policies.

I don't think "It's okay, the Tories do it all the time!" is a particularly attractive hill to die on in defense of Corbyn.

There is a difference between forgetting figures that have been drawn up and not knowing the figures because they don't exist.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

jabby posted:

Just to gently caress with you, ComRes is predicting a 100+ seat Tory landslide.

https://twitter.com/ComRes/status/869585391900401664

There seems to have been quite a bit happened since the 2015 election, I'm not sure how well you can rely on voters behaving the same way.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

TACD posted:

Did this get posted already? Apparently Theresa May's Team is no more and has been replaced by a group calling themselves 'The Conservatives'. They've yet to release an album an supposedly all their gigs are members-only so I don't see the point TBH.

It's hilarious, they tied their entire campaign to her supposed massive popularity which only lasted as long as it took for people to actually stop and take a look at her and now they have to do a complete 180.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/869897881251139584

Fingers crossed

Honestly can't figure out a better way to motivate Labour supporters than this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Rakosi posted:

I think a Hilary Benn lead Labour would have beaten May in this election, or at least polled higher that Corbyn.

May would not have made nearly so many mistakes because Hilary Benn or any of the other Labour right would have put her under no pressure and agreed with most of the Tory manifesto.

• Locked thread