Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TACD posted:

Corbyn messes up PR stunts, while the Tories mess up political maneuvering on a scale that's now taking us out of the EU and risks breaking up the Union. Diane Abbott gets her numbers wrong on the radio and is excoriated while Boris Johnson parades around for months in front of a bus with an eight-foot-high lie printed on it but basically gets away with it.

The Tories are so good at incompetence that people don't even see it as such any more and just call it 'politics'.

My favourite part is when a Conservative prime minister offered a referendum as a magic bullet to silence his backbenchers, only to watch it backfire horribly and take the country back in time 40 years. Then when a Labour leader overwhelmingly defeats a challenge to his leadership, he's the one the papers call 'incompetent'.

But yes it's clearly Labour that are the danger here. Not that party that fucks up the UK for decades over an internal power struggle, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

quote:

But it was strongly criticised last night by a source from the right of the party who has read it in full.

The source said: “Is that it? For 40 years the Hard Left wanted to control the Labour manifesto, and all it amounts to is a load of freebies for every special interest group.

“It's all concern for the 'feckless poor' and nothing for the hard-working majority.”

I'd really love to put a name to these comments. Anyone who thinks that a better funded NHS, free universites, and non-privatised transport & power are for the 'feckless poor' really should be putting their face to the statement in public. Preferably while twirling a moustache and wearing a monocle.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

JFairfax posted:

so if I'm reading that correctly nearly 1.5m new registrations from under 34s...

JFairfax posted:

maybe brexit has given young people a kick up the arse and they now realise that sometimes voting can be important

As an under-34 who registered to vote for the first time in my life the day after the election was announced, I really hope I'm not alone. My wife is an NHS nurse and I'm hearing a lot of (admittedly anecdotal) chatter about her colleagues registering too, although this is more aimed at keeping the Tories out rather than getting anyone specific in.

I do like the way Corbyn's team are targeting summer festivals as well as traditional political events. Perhaps that will help get the younger population at least thinking about bothering to vote this time.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Bape Culture posted:

I can't find anything but I'm guessing people with student loans would still have to pay them back under labour?
It's not going to eliminate historic loans?

It's pretty unlikely they'd write off existing loans. I seem to remember the figure was around 33bn last time it was brought up here, and I can't see Labour finding that sort of change under the couch cushions when they want to spend on everything else.

Also mine is mostly paid off and would be done before anything passes, so they better not :|

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Dzhay posted:

Can I ask why you'd never registered before? It seems really weird to me that so many people don't vote.
Corbyn is the first party leader in my lifetime who comes across as genuinely wanting to make the country better for the majority, rather than saying the right words to get himself in power. Even if a Labour government does turn out to be as ineffective as the right-wing press are claiming (I doubt they will be), I'd rather see him get the chance to deliver just a handful of the good things he's aiming for than let the Tories deliver any of the bad things they're out to do.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Kurtofan posted:

i'm from the future and jezza wins best downing street allotment of the year

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
By far the biggest disappointment in this election is that @parliawint hasn't posted for a month.

Perhaps we can negotiate a posting exchange program where he starts tweeting again and 'flaps doesn't post for a month.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

So is he saying that Corbyn not being Prime Minister causes terror attacks? :psyduck:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Apparently, telling Katie Hopkins to "gently caress off you vile oval office, and when you've hosed off gently caress off some more, then gently caress off again and again until you've hosed off forever" gets you this on Twitter

The trouble with unsubtle is that the comment gets moderated and the world stops being constantly reminded how much of a toxic oval office this woman is. By playing her game with your reply it the message hangs around longer:

quote:

Perhaps the Black Mirror episode Hated in the Nation presents the necessary final solution to the true problem of today's society?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Introduce death penalty... to stop suicide bombers? Is this a parody poll or a parody of a country?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
If he used that line himself, tomorrow's Sun would have a headline about Corbyn inciting people to kill the Prime Minister.

• Locked thread