Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Sefal posted:

I've been wondering, Has there been a game where midway, or at the end a party member betrays you and takes all the equipment they had equiped with them?
It would be a dickmove, but surely a developer has done this?

I have played at least 15 games like this but the only one I can remember at the top of my head is Child of Light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Guys all my friends started playing Heroes of the Storm for the OW stuff so I downloaded it and played a few games and I think I kind of like it?!?!

Quitting League of Legends was basically the smartest thing I ever did so I'm scared.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

bloodychill posted:

Unrelated, someone's FTL victory posted recently in the last chat thread inspired me to do a run in Engi A and I came extremely close to my first Engi victory. I was in last phase with final boss ship and almost had it but ran out of drones because I had gotten stuck in a lovely bad loop 5 minutes into the first phase and had to reset it by flying away and fighting him again letting him completely heal :smith:
That was me, and after I did that I beat the game on the hardest difficulty with Crystal B, which I'd just unlocked.
Turns out that's apparently "easy mode" according to some shitheads,
so I then made'em eat crow by then beating the hardest difficulty with Engi B, the most notoriously awful ship in the entire game :smugdog:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I spent a huge amount of time this weekend playing XCOM 2 and it was quite fun. I think I'm approaching the end game. If my soldiers can't launch grenades on their own I'm stuffing them in to armor with built in rocket launchers. My goal is to explode my way through the game as much as possible and nothing yet has deterred me in that mission.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Sefal posted:

I've been wondering, Has there been a game where midway, or at the end a party member betrays you and takes all the equipment they had equiped with them?

YES, and it's called Baldur's Gate II

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Guys all my friends started playing Heroes of the Storm for the OW stuff so I downloaded it and played a few games and I think I kind of like it?!?!

Quitting League of Legends was basically the smartest thing I ever did so I'm scared.

I played LOL for like 2 years a long rear end time ago and quit because the community is terrible and the meta is so rigid with roles and NO YOU CANNOT GO BOT YOU MUST JUNGLE.

I like playing Heroes of the Storm more simply because there's no items, no set lane roles, you can still change up characters by talent traits, and each map objective ensures that even people bad at engaging can still help out. It's also a lot faster than MOBAS and makes killstealing (which horrid people yell about all the time) a non-entity, all points and experience are universal.

It's a much more chilled out game and since it's playing catch-up you get all this poo poo for free now so it's the best time to jump in and play with once or twice a week. Def more of an "arcade" feel with how it plays so it's not as grindy or toxic.

Wildtortilla posted:

I spent a huge amount of time this weekend playing XCOM 2 and it was quite fun. I think I'm approaching the end game. If my soldiers can't launch grenades on their own I'm stuffing them in to armor with built in rocket launchers. My goal is to explode my way through the game as much as possible and nothing yet has deterred me in that mission.

enjoy destroying all the cover and buildings, friend. blowing up everything is a completely sound plan for the endgame especially when the enemies get clumped together for many end missions. IMO grenades helped more than my scout katanamens did.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 1, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sefal posted:

final fantasy tactics

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Time to check those games out

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I refuse to play any PvP game with goons since the last time I was on HotS and had to listen to a grown man become audibly upset over Mumble b/c his video game man was dying.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My current target for games in May are to get through two titles in my backlog (MGSV and Transistor) and start Zelda (Switch coming this week) and Trails in the Sky 3rd. I was going to also play Trine 2 but I bounced off of it pretty hard after a few hours.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

I played LOL for like 2 years a long rear end time ago and quit because the community is terrible and the meta is so rigid with roles and NO YOU CANNOT GO BOT YOU MUST JUNGLE.

I like playing Heroes of the Storm more simply because there's no items, no set lane roles, you can still change up characters by talent traits, and each map objective ensures that even people bad at engaging can still help out. It's also a lot faster than MOBAS and makes killstealing (which horrid people yell about all the time) a non-entity, all points and experience are universal.

It's a much more chilled out game and since it's playing catch-up you get all this poo poo for free now so it's the best time to jump in and play with once or twice a week. Def more of an "arcade" feel with how it plays so it's not as grindy or toxic.

enjoy destroying all the cover and buildings, friend. blowing up everything is a completely sound plan for the endgame especially when the enemies get clumped together for many end missions. IMO grenades helped more than my scout katanamens did.

Acid grenades do a number on groups of enemies, especially when they're armored. It's real satisfying.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah ditching the store is definitely a good move. More than anything else when people point to MOBAs as being impenetrable it's because of poo poo like that. I also like the universal xp like you mentioned. I can gently caress with characters who seem like they should be "gankers" but if I don't get a bunch of kills it's not a huge deal.

Also there's a character that transforms back and forth from a human to a werewolf and it's not even his ult or anything it's just something he does which is real cool

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Captain Invictus posted:

That was me, and after I did that I beat the game on the hardest difficulty with Crystal B, which I'd just unlocked.
Turns out that's apparently "easy mode" according to some shitheads,
so I then made'em eat crow by then beating the hardest difficulty with Engi B, the most notoriously awful ship in the entire game :smugdog:

i don't think beating the game with a different ship really embarrasses the people who told you crystal b is really easy. which it is

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They should put FTL on a console so I can try it

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah ditching the store is definitely a good move. More than anything else when people point to MOBAs as being impenetrable it's because of poo poo like that. I also like the universal xp like you mentioned. I can gently caress with characters who seem like they should be "gankers" but if I don't get a bunch of kills it's not a huge deal.

Also there's a character that transforms back and forth from a human to a werewolf and it's not even his ult or anything it's just something he does which is real cool

iirc removing all the annoying parts of Mobas was pretty much the core design philosophy for Heroes of the Storm. Turns out you get a more chilled out game if you take out a bunch of systems that, by design, make players really angry at each other.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I never enjoyed a MOBA until I played Heroes of the Storm and the reason why is what was mentioned a few posts up. No items, no kill stealing, and xp sharing. That's all great. Especially the no items thing. I'm loving sick of item load outs. I want to see an enemy or a teammate and know exactly what I can expect them to do. This is the reason why Overwatch is the only shooter I play online anymore. gently caress learning the details of dozens of items, I don't have the patience nor time for that anymore.

With all of that said it's interesting to look back over my 30 years of gaming and see how my tastes have changed over time. I remember when I thought shooters with item pick ups were fine. The onto games with dozens of possible item load outs being the best thing because I didn't have to control one area of a map to secure the biggest and baddest weapon. But that quickly wore me down because of the time commitment to unlock everything. I'm glad something like Overwatch is finally here.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

oddium posted:

i don't think beating the game with a different ship really embarrasses the people who told you crystal b is really easy. which it is
crystal b was my first attempt at hard and I aced it, but they said it was meaningless since crystal b is soooooo eeeeeeasy. So I beat hardmode with the worst ship instead.

Help Im Alive posted:

isn't there a mobile version, or did they scrap that one?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Help Im Alive posted:

I had thought they announced a Wii U port at one point but uh obviously that is no longer happening and I can't find any info online so I guess I am crazy

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Captain Invictus posted:

crystal b was my first attempt at hard and I aced it, but they said it was meaningless since crystal b is soooooo eeeeeeasy. So I beat hardmode with the worst ship instead.
isn't there a mobile version, or did they scrap that one?

There is one on iOS at least re: Faster Than Light.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Rev2 demo is out, May starting out strong already

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I blew through yakuza over the weekend and now I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for tits 3rd on wednesday

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

exquisite tea posted:

I refuse to play any PvP game with goons since the last time I was on HotS and had to listen to a grown man become audibly upset over Mumble b/c his video game man was dying.

:lol: Yeah, playing with strangers can be an experience.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

lets hang out posted:

I blew through yakuza over the weekend and now I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for tits 3rd on wednesday

Nioh DLC comes out tomorrow friendo

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I've played many games with goons starting with stuff on the 360 then onto PC games. I don't think I've ever been around a goon who lost their cool.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

There is one on iOS at least re: Faster Than Light.
iOS FTL is iPad only last I checked, because making that UI usable by humans on a phone-size touchscreen was too big an ask.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

In Training posted:

The Rev2 demo is out, May starting out strong already

Will it let me marry Elphelt?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello may chat thread. Anybody have anything exciting planned for the month?

We're trying to figure out plans on whether we're going to go to a friend's miniature anime convention that he runs or if we're going to another friend's wedding. It wouldn't normally be a tough decision, but it is made slightly tougher since they're both friends, we help out at the con, the wedding invites haven't arrived yet so we don't know for certain outside of what the groom said that we're invited, and even if we are invited, I don't have proper clothing for attending a wedding nor the money to afford proper clothing for it so who knows what's gonna happen.

It's also gonna be my birthday on the 27th. ~yay~ I'll be 26 years-old ugh. I hope it is a quiet birthday this year because I don't like when people fuss over me or burden themselves with bday stuff. I'll be happy if it's a nice and stress-free day. Hopefully by then we'll have this car stuff sorted out because our neighbor is selling us their car for cheap so things will almost be going back to normal.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Lakbay posted:

Nioh DLC comes out tomorrow friendo

I don't know if I want to get into it just to put it down the next day. I might wait until all three are out and then do a new playthrough with the new wep or hopefully weps and all the other new stuff

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FirstAidKite posted:

Hello may chat thread. Anybody have anything exciting planned for the month?

We're trying to figure out plans on whether we're going to go to a friend's miniature anime convention that he runs or if we're going to another friend's wedding. It wouldn't normally be a tough decision, but it is made slightly tougher since they're both friends, we help out at the con, the wedding invites haven't arrived yet so we don't know for certain outside of what the groom said that we're invited, and even if we are invited, I don't have proper clothing for attending a wedding nor the money to afford proper clothing for it so who knows what's gonna happen.

It's also gonna be my birthday on the 27th. ~yay~ I'll be 26 years-old ugh. I hope it is a quiet birthday this year because I don't like when people fuss over me or burden themselves with bday stuff. I'll be happy if it's a nice and stress-free day. Hopefully by then we'll have this car stuff sorted out because our neighbor is selling us their car for cheap so things will almost be going back to normal.

Clearly the solution is to convince your friends to get married at the con.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

haveblue posted:

Clearly the solution is to convince your friends to get married at the con.

Please respect the sanctity of the 1-day anime convention

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How traditional of a wedding will it be. I saw my friend's sister's wedding pics and everyone one was in cosplay (Winnie the Poo, some dude from Mad Max, etc)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

my baby is due at the end half of the month. or probably earlier heck yeah

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

This month is my birthday and I am going to try to save up for a nice tv in my game room so I can move all my HD stuff in there and thus never leave my gaming hovel, surrounded by maps from games I like.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
"If any of you has reasons why these two should not be married, speak now or forever hold your peace."

*Weird middle-aged lady who always runs a panel at the anime con stands up* "If she's a shota she can pretend to be his mommy instead."

the joke is that the weird middle-aged lady who always runs a panel at this anime con was showing off a panel about short shows where the episodes are like 5 minutes long and she was talking about some show called pillow boys and she was like "so for this show they just talk to you before going to sleep so it is like someone is sleeping with you and it is like having a boyfriend, and this is the little boy, if you're a shota you can pretend to be his mommy instead"

:yikes:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lakbay posted:

How traditional of a wedding will it be. I saw my friend's sister's wedding pics and everyone one was in cosplay (Winnie the Poo, some dude from Mad Max, etc)

No idea. Until the invites come, we p much know nothing. I'm not sure they've even sent the invites yet to be honest. All we know is that they want to keep it small.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

"If any of you has reasons why these two should not be married, speak now or forever hold your peace."

*Weird middle-aged lady who always runs a panel at the anime con stands up* "If she's a shota she can pretend to be his mommy instead."

the joke is that the weird middle-aged lady who always runs a panel at this anime con was showing off a panel about short shows where the episodes are like 5 minutes long and she was talking about some show called pillow boys and she was like "so for this show they just talk to you before going to sleep so it is like someone is sleeping with you and it is like having a boyfriend, and this is the little boy, if you're a shota you can pretend to be his mommy instead"

:yikes:

what the gently caress does anything in this post mean.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Agnostalgia posted:

what the gently caress does anything in this post mean.

Sorry, I thought I'd made it clear enough :(

A middle aged woman went to an anime convention, held a panel, and during the panel she brought up that adult women who sexually like little boys would enjoy the show because they can pretend that they are the character's mother. This was not her making an awful joke, this was her sincerely suggesting this.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oh, ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I'm sincerely sorry I asked.

• Locked thread