Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

April was a pretty fun month for my MHF subscription.

Now it'll come to a close this week :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

bloodychill posted:

tea jokes a lot.

Early Simpsons was good. I've watched a bunch recently and it still holds up amazingly well, so it's not all nostalgia. Around season 13 or 14 was when it became unwatchable bad.

Current-ish Simpsons comes off as someones dad trying to be hip and "with it" in regards to popular culture but missing the mark almost entirely.

I can't even be mad at the show for this because it has been around for so long.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Unfortunately, much like other once-great things from the 90s like Weezer and RHCP, the time period where the Simpsons sucked has now far exceeded the time period when it was good.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm playing Alien: Isolation and boy, the search pattern the Alien uses seems super tight. Alien just loving knows the exact closet I'm hiding in at any given time and pops in every few minutes for a quick, breathy "how do you do".

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Scrublord Prime posted:

ImpAtom's right, just keep in mind that monsters can't lift/throw and some geopuzzles are built around it. Caster monsters might not get the range/aoe bonus that humans do from staff weapon master either, idr about D3. Caster monsters have a history of being crappy in Disgaea, back in D1 there weren't even monster weapons with caster stats on it.

Yeah okay, fair enough. Speaking of which, are Prinnies solid? I'm not sure if they're meant to be a staple of my forces or just "here's your lovely starting guys"

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mordja posted:

Apropos of nothing, anyone remember how the Five Nights At Freddies guy was going on about how his latest game was so sick and twisted that he couldn't in good conscience release it except then he did? Anything come of that, or was it a load of guff and self-manufactured controversy/marketing?

He was just having fun with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yeah okay, fair enough. Speaking of which, are Prinnies solid? I'm not sure if they're meant to be a staple of my forces or just "here's your lovely starting guys"

Prinnies have some specific gimmicks in certain games that can make them really strong but by and large they're there to be funny. Most of the tricks involve exploiting their ability to explode when thrown but that can be a liability too.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I didn't get the good ending in Disgaea 1 because I threw Prinnies and APPARENTLY that's a friendly fire kill.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Not to be all "well, actually", but actually, throwing prinnies doesn't count towards that

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

An exploding prinny will make any other prinny hit by the explosion also explode! Sadly it's only relevant about once per game though. (also doesn't include super bosses like Prinny Baal)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Not to be all "well, actually", but actually, throwing prinnies doesn't count towards that

Okay fine I may have let some dudes get in Laharl's AoEs. Still, wish there had been any kind of warning about that.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Disgaea games aren't very good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am continuing to enjoy Bayonetta even though I keep getting told I am complete garbage. Considering Bayonetta's personality I guess it's a good fit.

I am on Chapter 6 and still cannot afford the parry accessory

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bilUPlFthdo

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am continuing to enjoy Bayonetta even though I keep getting told I am complete garbage. Considering Bayonetta's personality I guess it's a good fit.

Getting stone rewards on your first playthrough is normal, as is being too broke to afford accessories.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

Getting stone rewards on your first playthrough is normal, as is being too broke to afford accessories.

That's good to know. I guess coming from Metal Gear where you literally cannot get past the early game without parrying, having that be a late unlock seemed strange to me

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That's good to know. I guess coming from Metal Gear where you literally cannot get past the early game without parrying, having that be a late unlock seemed strange to me

The parrying is the normal way to play metal gear and dodging is an extra alternative, whereas in Bayonetta it's flipped where dodging is your bread and butter and parrying is not required.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Blind the Thief was a pretty cool boss in Zelda Link to the Past.

He should be playable in hyrule warriors >:]

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
Hey chat thread I need cool-down game recommendations to keep me sane in between the arduous diamond to master rank climb in overwatch, I like a lot of roguelikes and platformers, and rpgs too I guess.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

She acts like that, but she's really a big ol softy.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The parry accessory is also kind of a weird thing in that it costs twice as much as the others and IIRC is the only one with no effective downsides (not counting the deliberately overpowered ones you unlock from beating the game or doing weird poo poo).

It results in a weird situation where pretty much everybody ends up buying it, but only several levels into the game, so it just seems like a roundabout way of introducing a parry mechanic in the middle of the plot.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

spudsbuckley posted:

Current-ish Simpsons comes off as someones dad trying to be hip and "with it" in regards to popular culture but missing the mark almost entirely.

I can't even be mad at the show for this because it has been around for so long.

I feel like it had a bit of a resurgent period for awhile recently but the last two seasons or so are just unwatchable.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
prinnies actually do count as kills but only in the og ps2 version of disgaea apparently

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
the soundtrack of nier automata is so good I'm gonna loop it until I fall asleep tonight. I never thought something could top Gods Bound By Rules but drat did they deliver.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

GLAAD trash bags posted:

Hey chat thread I need cool-down game recommendations to keep me sane in between the arduous diamond to master rank climb in overwatch, I like a lot of roguelikes and platformers, and rpgs too I guess.

I was thinking about the same thing today, but for Heroes of the Storm instead. The answer for me so far tends to be browsing the forums while my game queue ticks down :v:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Desperate Character posted:

the soundtrack of nier automata is so good I'm gonna loop it until I fall asleep tonight. I never thought something could top Gods Bound By Rules but drat did they deliver.

Pascal's theme is amazing, it fit's the area perfectly too.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Thief 4 is one of those games where you hear the complaints about it and think "oh this must just be fans bitching because they changed their beloved series" but then you play it and realize no, it's actually just bad.
I think the cases of that actually happening are very few.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kai Tave posted:

Thief 4 is one of those games where you hear the complaints about it and think "oh this must just be fans bitching because they changed their beloved series" but then you play it and realize no, it's actually just bad.

pretty much. i have never been much of thief fan in general, but i picked the new one up for cheaps. i never finished it. it was boring and not fun.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdG4ZLCnwho

This might be one of the best years for Music in games, between this and Nier, and Dropmix when that comes out.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
look to get the original thief trilogy (or at least 1 and 2, not sure if 3 is on there) on GOG. The games go on sale often and come DRM-free with the soundtracks as well. Thief 3 is worth it because while it's not as well-made as Thief 2 it has fantastic ambiance and the Shalebridge Cradle is still one of the creepiest levels you'll ever play in a game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
wake up, get up, get out there

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdG4ZLCnwho

This might be one of the best years for Music in games, between this and Nier, and Dropmix when that comes out.

I don't think this is actually in the game?

I think with a few exceptions Nier uses the music to amp up its gameplay and storytelling more than Persona does, but I'm a week out from finishing Persona and its soundtrack is still all I have been listening to throughout the day

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Mann posted:

The Simpsons was funny in spite of Matt Groening trying to totally stick it to suburban America, not because of it. His pre-Simpsons comics are absolutely insipid.

Yeah but all the writers on the golden years of Simpsons fell pretty far to the left of the US center, and you're stupid if you don't think that's part of why it was so biting in the post-reagan era.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TWEWY had a cooler Persona soundtrack.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The premiere ep of American Gods was amazing and one of the things I love is the way they updated the character of Technical Boy. The book came out in 2001 so he was a fat neckbeard in a trenchcoat modeled after the people Neil Gaiman saw at conventions, in the TV show he's a Polygon editor who vapes and has thugs that look Superhot baddies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIExWPy1XSw

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

i thought there werent going to be any more uncharted games

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The later difficulties of Bayonetta eventually only let you enter witch time through parries, which is the point when I stopped playing. I don't know what it's like in Revengeance but the windows for parries seemed super small in Bayonetta, and it was only made worse by the fact that a lot of enemies have extremely fast and difficult to read attacks.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

The premiere ep of American Gods was amazing and one of the things I love is the way they updated the character of Technical Boy. The book came out in 2001 so he was a fat neckbeard in a trenchcoat modeled after the people Neil Gaiman saw at conventions, in the TV show he's a Polygon editor who vapes and has thugs that look Superhot baddies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIExWPy1XSw

Ahhhh drat finally not having cable is biting me in the rear end. I really wanna watch this.

Might do that "ahhhh what the hell this is nothing like I imagined it would be based on my read of the book!!!! Bullshit!" thing... but I like the concepts from the book enough to give it a shot for sure.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ahhhh drat finally not having cable is biting me in the rear end. I really wanna watch this.

Might do that "ahhhh what the hell this is nothing like I imagined it would be based on my read of the book!!!! Bullshit!" thing... but I like the concepts from the book enough to give it a shot for sure.

You can stream it online from Starz ($8/mo). I'm going to wait until June and just binge on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Monkey Fracas posted:

Modern TV is pretty good about giving you legal alternatives to :filez: without having to get an actual cable package.

• Locked thread