Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Genocide Tendency posted:

Its also missing the part where Andrew Jackson died 15 years before South Carolina became the first state to leave the Union.

Trump, from the interview: "I mean had Andrew Jackson been a little later you wouldn't have had the civil war"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

joat mon posted:

Trump, from the interview: "I mean had Andrew Jackson been a little later you wouldn't have had the civil war"
The point is he was long dead by that point and was an un-repentant slave owner who wouldn't have done anything to stop the war. Donnie likes him because he was a fellow loudmouth dickhead.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Should be an interesting month with everyone finding out that you can just steam roll D Triggidy because he's a punk bitch.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

The point is he was long dead by that point and was an un-repentant slave owner who wouldn't have done anything to stop the war. Donnie likes him because he was a fellow loudmouth dickhead.

Yeah, but Jackson was a war hero and Trump's a chickenhawk and a cowardly bully.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Active shooter in Dallas. A firefighter has been shot, and cops are pinned down by gunfire. Area's cordoned off.

http://m.ksla.com/ksla/db_350562/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=YSNhPIj5

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Spicer press briefing has started

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Send in the suicide robots

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pesticide20 posted:

Send in the suicide robots

That robot owned.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MazelTovCocktail posted:

That robot owned.

Was it a Pusher or a Shover robot?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Can't believe you guys aren't already mocking this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObsQ8_58V3Q

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

Was it a Pusher or a Shover robot?

Exploder.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MarkV-A1

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yeah, but Jackson was a war hero and Trump's a chickenhawk and a cowardly bully.

Jackson also beat a man with his cane after the guy tried to shoot him with two different guns.

Which remans the only cool thing he has ever done.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Arc Light posted:

Active shooter in Dallas. A firefighter has been shot, and cops are pinned down by gunfire. Area's cordoned off.

http://m.ksla.com/ksla/db_350562/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=YSNhPIj5

lol well theres no question now, that armed first responder bill is definitely going to pass

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ayn Marx posted:

Can't believe you guys aren't already mocking this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObsQ8_58V3Q

I want to laugh at it but then I remember that there's a significant portion of the population who completely believe it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jackson also beat a man with his cane after the guy tried to shoot him with two different guns.

Which remans the only cool thing he has ever done.

He teamed up with a dirty river pirate to whip the British at the Battle of New Orleans. That was pretty cool.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
reading this budget overview I'd never in a million years thought Democrats could get this much

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

He teamed up with a dirty river pirate to whip the British at the Battle of New Orleans. That was pretty cool.

Oh right.. Always forget about that.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Also: Ja Rule and Fyre unsurprisingly getting sued from all angles

http://ibankcoin.com/zeropointnow/2017/05/01/ja-rule-and-fyre-festival-slapped-with-100-million-lawsuit-for-multiple-counts-of-fraud/

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
It's totally crazy that he's still buying what are essentially campaign ads 100 days after becoming president. It's really...sad? Like has any other president ever done anything remotely similar?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
As Donnie and Spicey are praising homicidal dictators, the Fox News purge continues :toot:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/859115047544606720

https://twitter.com/davidfolkenflik/status/859113122732400640

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 1, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

May Current Events Thread: last one in the circlejerk eats the biscuit

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hey guys Donald did a thing

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Enlistment standards starting to get pretty low:

quote:

A prominent militant who fought with Russian-backed separatists in Ukraine and participated in far-right European politics recently completed U.S. Army training and is serving in an American infantry division in Hawaii, according to Army and other records.

Guillaume Cuvelier, 29, shipped for basic training in January and graduated as an infantryman at Fort Benning, Ga., the records show. In a short exchange with The Washington Post, Cuvelier confirmed that he was actively serving in the U.S. Army.

With his well-documented history of espousing extreme right-wing views and his role in an armed group backed by a U.S. adversary, Cuvelier’s ability to join the Army raises questions about the recruitment process and whether applicants are thoroughly screened before they are able to enlist.

Born and raised in France as a dual French and American citizen, Cuvelier spent his formative years alongside French ultranationalists before picking up a Kalashnikov in eastern Ukraine in 2014, according to social media posts, a documentary in which he was featured, and accounts from people who knew him. A year later he fought with the Kurdish peshmerga in northern Iraq before coming back to the United States.

Following inquiries by The Post, the military has “begun an inquiry to ensure the process used to enlist this individual followed all of the required standards and procedures,” said Kelli Bland, a spokesman for the U.S. Army’s recruiting command, in an email.

In Ukraine, Cuvelier, also known as Lenormand, fought for the Russian-backed Donetsk People’s Republic, the breakaway state subject to U.S. government sanctions and labeled terrorist by the U.S.-allied government in Kiev. Cuvelier’s service with the group appears to be in direct violation of a March 2014 executive order that was applied to the republic that June. The order prohibits U.S. citizens from assisting by way of “funds, goods or services,” any of the sanctioned entities covered by the order, opening up Cuvelier to possible federal prosecution.
[...]
“The [U.S.] army is my only chance of moving on and cutting with my past,” Cuvelier said in a text message. “I realized I like this country, its way of life and its Constitution enough to defend it.”
“By publishing a story on me, you are jeopardizing my career and rendering a great service to anyone trying to embarrass the Army. My former Russian comrades would love it. … so, I please ask you to reconsider using my name and/or photo.”
( :qqsay: )
[...]
Upon arriving in Ukraine in the middle of 2014, Cuvelier helped start a French-Serbian foreign fighter unit called the “Unité Continentale.” The group’s manifesto on its Facebook page states that NATO is “a terrorist military alliance” and that France is “a slave of the American Empire.” The group’s views are based on an ideology called “continentalism” espoused by the anti-Western Russian political scientist, Alexander Dugin. The group’s page also has multiple posts from July and August 2014 that solicited donations directly to Cuvelier’s bank account in France.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.d01a770123bf

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

well he's certainly motivated

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Wasn't Shine the guy that Hannity was crying about being unfairly attacked last week?

Edit:

Eh.. Anyone can be a bullet sponge.

Just as long as he doesn't get a security clearance.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Wasn't Shine the guy that Hannity was crying about being unfairly attacked last week?

Yep! Gonna be fun if some competing network like Sinclair gets O'Reilly and Hannity.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Yep. Shine wasn't a name that people recognized like Roger Ailes was, but he was just as big a piece of poo poo.

Hannity's whining about it because he's losing one of the last of the upper-management chucklefucks who will go to bat for him next time something racist oozes out of his mouth.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Has anybody seen the recent tweets? Those sure we're something.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Proud Christian Mom posted:

reading this budget overview I'd never in a million years thought Democrats could get this much

The most conservative websites are non-stop raging at the Dems getting everything, with those evil RINOs capitulating completely to the Lieberals. It's pretty entertaining.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Missionary Positron posted:

Enlistment standards starting to get pretty low:

Guillaume Cuvelier posted:

Соси мой член со спины

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Proud Christian Mom posted:

They're planning to completely rewrite the tax code to soak the poor and give a big cut to the wealthy before the summer's out, they didn't want a major budget fight beforehand.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zeroisanumber posted:

They're planning to completely rewrite the tax code to soak the poor and give a big cut to the wealthy before the summer's out, they didn't want a major budget fight beforehand.

But they need to pass their Obamacare repeal first, using the budget saving generated by cutting health care to pass their tax cuts. So that the combined effort doesn't increase the deficit and can thus be passed through reconciliation, avoiding a Dem filibuster. And it's not clear if the AHCA can pass the House, much less the Senate.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Someone call that VOICE hotline.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

do you think anything will get passed

how desperate will the GOP be to do anything at all before september

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Torrannor posted:

But they need to pass their Obamacare repeal first, using the budget saving generated by cutting health care to pass their tax cuts. So that the combined effort doesn't increase the deficit and can thus be passed through reconciliation, avoiding a Dem filibuster. And it's not clear if the AHCA can pass the House, much less the Senate.

The latest whip count is 22 "no" votes. Republicans can only afford to lose 22.
http://thehill.com/homenews/news/330717-the-hills-whip-list-who-to-watch-on-gops-new-obamacare-bill

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Deathy McDeath posted:

The latest whip count is 22 "no" votes. Republicans can only afford to lose 22.
http://thehill.com/homenews/news/330717-the-hills-whip-list-who-to-watch-on-gops-new-obamacare-bill

Any moderate GOPer is already facing an extremely difficult reelection this year, and any one of them voting to throw out Obamacare altogether might as well just retire now.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Doublepost because CRISPR is already doing cool poo poo.

Gene Editing Strategy Eliminates HIV-1 Infection in Live Animals, Temple Researchers Show

quote:

A permanent cure for HIV infection remains elusive due to the virus's ability to hide away in latent reservoirs. But now, in new research published in print May 3 in the journal Molecular Therapy, scientists at the Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University (LKSOM) and the University of Pittsburgh show that they can excise HIV DNA from the genomes of living animals to eliminate further infection. They are the first to perform the feat in three different animal models, including a “humanized” model in which mice were transplanted with human immune cells and infected with the virus. The team is the first to demonstrate that HIV-1 replication can be completely shut down and the virus eliminated from infected cells in animals with a powerful gene editing technology known as CRISPR/Cas9.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
what in the crap

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/859132146128125958

is this some Homeland bullshit

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Conservatives will hiss and boo it because HIV is Gods punishment to the gays and the druggies.

I think it is extremely cool though, and it would be amazing if we could eradicate HIV and AIDS entirely through gene therapy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Yep! Gonna be fun if some competing network like Sinclair gets O'Reilly and Hannity.

who would take them, other than sputnik?

• Locked thread