Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Odradek
May 23, 2007

Don't hate me because I'm cute
I participated in an awesome seminar today - this Canadian guy had been radicalized in his late teens and went over to Syria to support ISIS. He was a supporter, not a combatant. After being there for a while he realized it was BS and he returned to Canada and offered to help their Intel services. He provided some excellent insights into what drives people to support ISIS and how they can be de-radicalized. He was very animated and funny and did a great 1 1/2 hour presentation. Since it was a VTC (I'm working in Charlottesville VA and the talk was at DIA HQ in DC) it was amusing to see the reaction shots of the crowd during the presentation - lots of scowls. "This dude was an ISIS scumbag...why is he here?" Overall, good insights into a dangerous ideology and some tips on how to fight it. I like my job. I'm not a CT guy (most of my experience in in counterproliferation/nuclear stuff) but this session got me smart on some interesting stuff.

Oh yeah, for the guy who asked me for more information on the NK nuclear issue, I served 3 years as the Chief of the WMD Intelligence Cell in USFK, so I'm pretty dialed in to all things NK nuclear. They got em, just need to get good at getting them to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odradek
May 23, 2007

psydude posted:

Wait, have we spotted another elusive FGO in GiP?

Separated USAF FGO (O-4), now GG-15 civilian.

Odradek
May 23, 2007

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i'm the revoked q clearance

Still got my Q, living large.

Odradek
May 23, 2007

I'm completely overt in what I do. I just can't give details of the exact work. I find it cuts through all the cutesy evasive BS. Besides, a whole bunch of foreign services know what I do because of past exchanges. If they know, pretty much everybody in the business does too.

quote="The Iron Rose" post="471932195"]
Good God my man. The idea is to not so subtly hint that you're doing Important Classified Work. "Oh, I'm an analyst specializing in nuclear counterproliferation" or "I research WMD Deterrence for the DoE." You don't just outright state it, where's the fun in that!?
[/quote]

Odradek
May 23, 2007

Nope. 3 years in Korea (no rent or utilities plus bonus pay and nearly unlimited overtime) does wonders for savings and investment portfolios. I knew senior DoD guys who were over there for 30 plus years and they were loaded. Plus they all have Korean wives to manage their finances for maximum richness-enhancement.

Slim Pickens posted:

Hi odradek do you have any drug problems or outstanding debt just asking for a friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odradek
May 23, 2007

I talked with an FBI guy today at an intel exchange about Comey. He told me Comey is incredibly popular within the FBI because he supports leaders instead of the old guard senior people. He told me most folks at FBI are pretty pissed off about this and the mood in the Bureau is "toxic" right now. Other than that, it was a fun exchange...lots of cool high tech/future threat stuff.

quote="facialimpediment" post="472253765"]
HNNNNGGGG

https://twitter.com/matthewamiller/status/862849567221534721

paper trails make me hot

Edit: Comey sounds like he'll talk when the time is right

https://www.propublica.org/article/...tent=1494530688
[/quote]

• Locked thread