Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Genocide Tendency posted:

Lets not get crazy now.

Its just smart enough to realize Trump's budget doesn't work and they aren't ready to fight out a real one. So they basically just extended the same poo poo we have had.

Also they can't write a new one until health care reform is finally sorted out and they decide if they are going to completely gently caress the tax code. Which is why they pushed everything back to September.

Isn't that kind of the point of bipartisanship, though? To come up with a bill that satisfies the major wants of each party (increased defense spending, expanded NIH funding) while throwing out the stupid poo poo (defunding planned Parenthood)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wait, have we spotted another elusive FGO in GiP?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I need to get my green badge access back so I can take advantage of those things. But driving to Bolling just sucks.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/859475081176678400

What the gently caress is the white house press shop in full meltdown or something?

No, they're just executing a good shutdown.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Genocide Tendency posted:

Wait..

This is already a thing.

Like... Employers do this all the time. They bitch and cry about being short and "can you stay an extra hour we really need coverage because this lazy poo poo called out again and we will totes make up for it by letting you out early tomorrow..". Then they do that 3 of the 5 days a week, while running you right to the clock on the other two and when they find out you are in overtime after the fact they throw a gigantic poo poo fit about you not adhering to the schedule.

Or is that just a handful of states where that fuckery is legal? Because it was done all the time in more than one place I have worked.

Maybe I am misunderstanding something and this doesn't do what I think it does? Or I have been screwed by employers doing things they weren't legally allowed to do?

What this means is that classified employees can now be forced to take comp time in lieu of overtime pay. So if you work 60 hours in one week, instead of getting 20 hours of overtime, you'll get 20 hours of comp time. The scenario you described is illegal in a lot of places.

psydude fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 3, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

This is the funniest Trump related thing I've seen in the past two years.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

An Army photographer captured an exploding mortar tube a split second before it killed her and 4 other people.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GoGoGadget posted:

This is the east gate at Ft. Leonard Wood currently

Without flooding:

Edit: why the gently caress is the grass that long? It's a basic training site...have some Privates mow that poo poo, drat

St. Robert needed a good wash.

e: that's actually the final FTX for the 12Cs training there.

psydude fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 3, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

Now I'm curious what percent of stuff like design, engineering, man power and overall resources goes into not letting your own military members kill themselves through incompetence instead of the enemy. For training exercises it sure felt North of 50%.

There's a sign next to the doors of a black hawk telling you to not run toward the tail rotor for a reason.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Passed by 4 votes. Now on to the Senate, where it will be promptly swatted down.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I can't be passed through budget reconciliation, so it has to go to the floor for debate. Meaning it has to overcome the filibuster, and right now Senate Republicans are pissed at the house for handing this to them, so don't expect them to go nuclear over it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Typical GiP doom and gloom aside, I doubt it'll ever make it through the Senate. What this did accomplish is give Democratic candidates in swing districts plenty of ammunition.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's no reason to believe that McConnel won't nuke the filibuster if that's the only way this can pass. There's zero reason for republicans to keep it and just :lol: if you think they give a gently caress about decorum.

Yes there is. They have a 3 vote majority, and getting rid of the filibuster would reduce senators to highly paid representatives. They all benefit from wielding the power of the filibuster.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

come to Canada, I can get you stoners shatter for $30/g

Isn't your internet super awful?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

depends on where you live, its expensive but it's not lovely

But why wouldn't I just move to a country with better, cheaper internet and better looking people. Like Germany.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Reverand maynard posted:

why ARE german toilets weird

Allegedly it's to mitigate the splash. I'm not convinced that Germans don't just like smelling poop.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It was even better in Afghanistan, where all of the toilet trailers were German. So you'd end up with LNs making GBS threads on the back of the seat and then that would trickle down onto the shelf.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The senate intelligence committee has requested that all Trump aides hand over any and all records of communication with Russia. It'll give them the ability to subpoena anyone who doesn't comply, or who they think isn't complying.

quote:

Among those who said they had received the requests were Roger J. Stone, an informal adviser to President Trump, and Carter Page, a businessman and former foreign policy adviser to the Trump campaign. Paul Manafort, the former campaign chairman, and Michael T. Flynn, the former national security adviser, were also sent letters, said the officials with knowledge of the investigation. Representatives for both men declined to comment.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Unrelated, for those of you who want to contribute to a meaningful PAC and not the DCCC, flippable was founded by a team of data scientists to target small-donor money and volunteers at local, state, and national candidates in districts that have a high probability of flipping. Or you can all continue to post in here about how nothing matters, I guess.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 5, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vengarr posted:

French about to prove they're just as dumb as we are.

Too bad we have a massive pissbaby at the helm of our computer arsenal.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

He's been trying to meet with Duterte. I think that says enough.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

lightpole posted:

Wow Air, despite being a budget airline, has an awesome economy class that's much cheaper and much better than anything in the US.

Once you add on all of the additional fees they charge for baggage, carry-ons, a seat, and oxygen, it's about the same price as a ticket on Icelandair.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ayn Marx posted:

Oh thank Christ my country didn't go full retard. 35% of voters for a far-right candidate is super concerning though...

Better than 46.1%.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Decision trees are fun.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

Bannon and other incompetent fucksticks are trying to oust H.R. McMaster. One official described the whole thing as "Game of Thrones for morons."

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/05/09...campaign=buffer

Great article.

Best part:

quote:

“[McMaster] will always be on the outside looking in from so many circles,” the senior intelligence official said. “He isn’t family. He’s not a Bannon guy, and he’s still surrounded by Flynnstones.”

I'm using this from here on out to refer to anyone who tries to defend Flynn.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If the Senate doesn't set up a special committee now then gently caress it all

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Giuliani or Christie.

Donald Trump Jr.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.7c8ab13e08fb

Title says it all: Trump to sit down with Russian foreign minister one day after firing Comey.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Nothing matters until McConnell (R-Turtle) decides that it does. https://twitter.com/mviser/status/862301905053253633

In theory, couldn't the Senate still override McConnell if they managed to get a bipartisan supermajority? Not that getting 12 Republicans would be easy, but in a perfect world it would be doable, correct?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Thwomp posted:

So we're going to have to wait until 2018 at least to see if a general backlash is possible. Which also means we're in for at least another year and a half of Trump doing real harm to Americans and Republicans folding to Trump's bullshit.

We'll see early murmurs this year. Virginia has statewide elections this year; there's enough anger in large parts of the state to flip the legislature blue, assuming Dems can field candidates (a lot of the Republican seats have gone uncontested). Virginia's economy is tied heavily into technology and the government, two areas where Trump is incredibly unpopular (fat government contractors in dumb pickups with Gadsden serpent plates notwithstanding).

https://www.flippable.org/virginia-methodology

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If it's a regional jet, it's a contractor. If it's a 737 or bigger, it's typically the actual airline.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ryan would be far less damaging as president than he is as speaker of the house. He's only interested in wonkish Randian bullshit, not fascist demagoguery, and is an obvious pushover who will be walked all over by the cabinet heads.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TBeats posted:

ummm actually i challenge any of you to tell me what digital is off the top of your head with no help from google

Encoding a transmission in ones and zeroes, rather than modulating/demodulating an analog signal. But I'm pretty sure those catapults use magnets.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Best described in the Tom Clancy thriller, Executive Orders

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

One way to explain it is that America was the beta testing of democracy as a form of government. Mistakes were made and lessons were learned. Once we're done dropping thousands of pounds of freedom on a country and we try our hand at nation building we go with forms of democracy better than ours. Ones that fix the bugs left over because "holy poo poo the electoral college what the gently caress?" and things like our current cluster gently caress of succession being merely a different flavor of bullshit instead of a solution.

The original programmers left in a way to update things to keep up with changes thay they knew would be necessary. Unfortunately with the raging dumpster fire that things have turned into if we give anyone the chance to fix those bugs they'll screw EVERYTHING up with the power it grants them so welp, we're hosed.

The electoral college is the one computer on the network still running an unpatched copy of Windows XP because the developers are too lazy to rewrite the single application that runs on it which accounting uses once every four years.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

brains posted:

this is honestly the most probably outcome. it's doubtful at this point there's a real fire even despite the seemingly endless amount of smoke. what's most likely is that there was no direct collusion, but the trump campaign inadvertently and unknowingly, though complete incompetence, allowed Russian influence to affect their own policy and conduct of the campaign.

bottom line, it's doubtful the various investigations will uncover any direct evidence that could unseat trump himself (his advisors are another matter entirely). however, his own personal conduct will almost certainly be used against him since it has been so completely and totally inept and and at this rate will end up bordering on flagrantly illegal before long. he's going to sink his own ship.

I fully believe Page, Manafort, and probably Stone were actively colluding with the Russians. Everyone else was either too stupid or too high on their own farts to notice or care.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Aren't you barred from transporting devices with lithium ion batteries in checked baggage? So how the gently caress are people supposed to transport their laptops if they can't bring them in carryons?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Slim Pickens posted:

Is there any good way to play scam-the-script-kiddie with that poo poo? I've heard of that file ransom poo poo, but never really read into it.

Some researchers have been able to crack the encryption. Other organizations have had success in negotiating down the prices.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I mean yeah, this is literally their job: fraud. Doesn't mean it's a government. Now, the Russian government does coerce/partner with the crime syndicates in Russia for stuff, but I doubt this is one of those instances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Crypto variant attacks are really hard to prevent so you focus on limiting the damage a single account can do and invest heavily in disaster recovery. Stories like this are the hammer I use to beat clients into compliance with best practices

Yes and no. Pretty much all firewalls and IPSs can block it, and most endpoint solutions (Cisco AMP, Palo Alto TRAPS, etc.) can prevent it from encrypting the hard disk once it's actually on the machine. Plus, doing simple stuff like running an ad blocker can really cut down on it as well. The biggest vulnerabilities come from not properly securing poo poo like VPNs or BYOD networks, as the guy mentioned.

Comply to connect using a mixture of something like Bigfix and 802.1X is obviously becoming a big thing for those cases where some idiot takes his laptop out and about for a month and keeps clicking "restart later" on critical updates.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 12, 2017

• Locked thread