Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Odradek posted:

Oh yeah, for the guy who asked me for more information on the NK nuclear issue, I served 3 years as the Chief of the WMD Intelligence Cell in USFK, so I'm pretty dialed in to all things NK nuclear. They got em, just need to get good at getting them to us.

i'm the revoked q clearance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Not like high poll numbers being wrong hasn't been a thing lately

they haven't, really. the two most oft-cited events, Brexit and Trump, were actually off by relatively small margins. Additionally, French pollsters accurately predicted the ordering of the first round of the election, as well as mostly getting right the percentage of the vote each candidate would get. Very unlikely that French Hitler happens

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Laranzu posted:

Because all the airlines are pretty much equally poo poo, and evidence to the otherwise is anecdotal at best.

At least United's planes aren't ancient pieces of poo poo like American's.

If you're lucky. United and American (and Delta) all use a lot of the same regional outfits. For example, that "United" flight where the doctor got hadouken'd was operated by Republic Airlines. Republic Airlines operated the "American" flight I used to take home from work every week between Pittsburgh and DC. These are usually under the monikers of United Express or American Eagle or whatever, but you can't really make flight decisions based on what you think the fleet will look like since there is a lot of incestuousness

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i mixed up Powers Boothe and MC Gainey but am delighted to discover they were both in Con Air anyway

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

sorry about your gay husband

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Reverand maynard posted:

I hope someone starts loving with the internet connections in wall street so they can't day trade anymore.

that stuff doesn't travel over public internet, which is unfortunate because this would very funny

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

I work with a guy from middle-of-nowhere WI. He described it as totally normal for adults and high schoolers alike to just cruise around getting drunk in their cars as a kind of mobile hangout.

This is correct. It was also not unusual for people to have wracked up multiple DUIs before graduating high school. We had a very good female basketball player get a waiver to play in the state tournament after getting her third.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

9/11 was a false flag?

Can't throw me off the trail that easily, Soros

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Accretionist posted:

Boo, D&D sucks

shut the gently caress up

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I can't be the only person whose eyes start rolling the second someone utters the word "holistic". Holistic medicine, holistic solution... "Oh, okay, so you're either a loving moron or you're trying to sell me something by using meaningless buzzwords."

you're not - i almost missed this in my haste to make this exact same post. any meeting I am in I know I can discount the opinion of any person that uses that word. Doubly so if their email signature has "ITIL" appended to their name

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Six Sigma for infosec

sorta. it's intended to be a set of best practices for running a large IT organization, which includes all sorts of stuff. what this means in practice is that someone gets paid a lot of money to do nothing and say super obvious poo poo, just like with six sigma, kaizen, and all the other organizational frameworks that no one ever implements correctly because it requires making hard decisions and having tough conversations

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Missionary Positron posted:

How is Booz Allen still a thing? Also, why on Earth do they have UNENCRYPTED PASSWORDS around asiedayhsiasiudh

they're dug into DoD and the IC like ticks. And, despite all this hosed up poo poo that you see in the news and how trash their middle management is, they have really shrewd partners and really, really good technology people. Who do you think writes all the wonderful toys that get leaked from IC entities once or twice a year? It ain't some GS sitting in Annapolis Junction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Vasudus posted:

pretty much

we have a huge chunk of work, which means lots of dudes, which means mistakes happen

we don't lose a cent of work because like the us military, as terrible as things may be, virtually everyone else is somehow worse

edit: also don't forget that the government is the one that gives clearances

yeah it's not that BAH is uncommonly bad, it's that they have an uncommonly large footprint

having had the pleasure of working with a business unit that no longer exists of a very large company (rhymes with "Pee Pee") Booz is far and away the best of the big players at this poo poo

• Locked thread