Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/badnetworker/status/855119350243753984

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Zeroisanumber posted:

No CBO score? No problem!

My only hope is that it passes and becomes law because it's laser-targeted towards killing Trump's poor, old, rural idiot base.

They can't pass it through reconciliation if the CBO doesn't score it neutral.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/SteveKingIA/status/860212457645670400

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Glenn Fuckin' Greenwald :allears:
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/859380571381878784

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BigDave posted:

NO IT WAS STATES RIGHTS! THE YANKEES THOUGHT THEY COULD PUSH US AROUNDS BUT WE SURE SHOWED THEM!!

Yes, the core issue was states rights.

...the right to own slaves.

Which is still a lie because the CSA constitution forbade states from deciding slavery for themselves. They were all required to be slave states. There is literally nothing about the CSA that promoted the rights of states above a federal government more than the USA did. It was entirely about forming a white supremacist slave empire.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

lightpole posted:

It's not like Comey shouldn't have been fired.

It's amazing that he can't fire and appoint someone in this situation without everyone looking for ulterior motives.

The FBI director is appointed for 10 years and can only be fired for cause unlike regular political appointments specifically to prevent this sort of thing so yeah there are definitely ulterior motives.

ManMythLegend posted:

There's no "T" in the Cyrillic alphabet.

Yes there is.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Didn't most people here want Comey fired?

I understand they wanted it by President Clinton, but that's not happening.

With that aside, why would Session and Trump want Comey gone? I'm just kind of baffled.

It's pretty obvious that Trump is full of poo poo about the reasons for firing Comey and that the real reason is that he won't drop the investigation of the Trump campaign's connections to Russia.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fister Roboto posted:

Nixon also grew up dirt poor, served honorably in the military, and overcame numerous setbacks in his lengthy political career.

I'd vote for post-Watergate Nixon over Trump any day.

He was also a total goon with women.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MA-Horus posted:

I used to really like Real Time but I can't handle Maher's loving screeching anymore.

he's always been an arrogant dumbass.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mike-o posted:

It's even funnier how loving rabid religious conservatives are about how evil muslims are, and yet here we are, the pot calling the kettle black.

They don't think they're evil because they're fanatics, they think they're evil because they're fanatics about the wrong thing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MazelTovCocktail posted:

He's nowhere near as bad as McNamara.

He's only been on the job 3 months.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Standard reminder: Issa is a car thief who also lied about his military service.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Whew, just got back from my run. What's going on now gu-

:stare:

WHEN DOES IT END?

Seriously. On the way home from work, it was all about Israel getting burned. When my wife got home, I asked her if she heard the news and she said "what, about Trump ordering Comey to drop the investigation?" I'm like whaaaaat no, about Israel being the source that Trump burned and she was like whaaaaaaat?

This loving presidency.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Who the hell is Seth Rich?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Zeroisanumber posted:

He's that DNC staffer who got killed in some DC mugging. MAGAs are convinced that he was the one leaking DNC inside info to Julian Assange and that Hillary had him whacked for it.

Vince Foster for the 21st century?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The Iron Rose posted:

literally yes except even more retarded

Is there any pizza involved?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

Potentially. He could get tied up for obstruction. But before you get president mattis you need Trump, Pence, Ryan, Hatch, Tillerson, and Mnuchin to all go down.

And fast enough to not be able to nominate a new vp.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/TheDailyEdge/status/865990137490153472

:catstare:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Why do the Saudis have a palantír?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wasabi the J posted:

Can't wait to see the mental gymnastics the ARE HEROES types on my wall go through to explain why actually this kid deserved it.

Just look at the twitter replies already.

quote:

The black guy who slaughtered whitey at the University of Texas was a known racist, but you were eerily quiet about that...hmmm🤔

quote:

Weird, I dont see you mentioning race when whites are robbed, raped, assaulted or carjacked in baltimore. Hmm🤔

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/nice_mustard/status/866442026090418177

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

We've had at least a dozen stories that with any other administration would be the story of the year, or at least the quarter. I still can't loving believe we judge the president on a sliding scale.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FastestGunAlive posted:

DR are you seriously going 2 for 2 on jumping out in front of the last two violent incidents to conduct a drat psychiatric evaluation based off a news article. "Hmm yes according to my expertise this is a guaranteed case of schizophrenia and no way is it politically or racially motivated". Lmao

I'm not arguing one way or another here, but I was thinking, does anyone know why extreme racism (especially antisemitism) and misogyny seems to be common in schizophrenics? Like, it's not just these guys or ddees, but who hasn't passed homeless people on the street screaming at lampposts about the Jews?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

White privilege is being unable to even suicide by cop

uh

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Missionary Positron posted:

https://twitter.com/PhilipinDC/status/868877582372089857

Congrats on becoming a banana republic North Korea in record time, America. :patriot:

Hey, John Miller is back on staff.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Fifteen years ago, I would have made some joke involving Americans not being able to tell beer from pisswater, but now that America actually has a much wider selection of beers with good regional availability, I am at a complete loss for words that people would still call Koelsch a good beer.

There's like ONE Koelsch brewery that makes non-poo poo Koelsch.

You've got to have a fetish for light beers or something to like the way Koelsch tastes and goes down...and how loving expensive it is. Those "Koelsch Kranz" deals where you get a whole spindle of baby-glasses have some novelty-value, but you're getting poo poo-tier Koelsch for places to offer affordable prices on those. And Jesus Christ, the traditional size of a Koelsch is POINT TWO liters.

It's a shot of light beer :psyduck:

I've never had actual Kolsch in Germany so I can't speak to the weird sizing or pricing but...
There is a reason that Americans drink lighter beers than you. Well, a lot of reasons but one is that my summer here in the American midwest averages 7°C higher than yours in Germany. Light, crisp lager is a good thing in a hot summer.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Koelsch isn't a lager though.

Listen, I'm not saying that there aren't occasions were lighter beers have their uses (heck, I'm planning on going redneck-tubing with a 30-pack of Keystone light in Oak Creek canyon tomorrow, because it's just lovely enough for the occasion), but we're talking about Koelsch in Cologne here. It's a 0.2l glass of beer in a country where you could get a regular sized, equally mild (not "light" as in watered down) Pilsener for less money-per-volume.

Might I suggest literally anything else? PBR, Busch, really literally anything else (except Natural Light). Keystone exists for college students who aren't there on their parents' dime and that's it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Koelsch isn't a lager though.

Listen, I'm not saying that there aren't occasions were lighter beers have their uses (heck, I'm planning on going redneck-tubing with a 30-pack of Keystone light in Oak Creek canyon tomorrow, because it's just lovely enough for the occasion), but we're talking about Koelsch in Cologne here. It's a 0.2l glass of beer in a country where you could get a regular sized, equally mild (not "light" as in watered down) Pilsener for less money-per-volume.

I'm just going to continue this over here...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
What's the difference between a radler and a shandy?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Fresh Air had a good interview with Thomas Ricks about his Orwell and Churchill biographies, but the interview talked a lot on both Flynn and McMaster

quote:

I do know these guys. And as you listed them, what struck me as I envisioned each is what a diverse group they are. General Flynn, I think, rose to levels above his level of competence, is a very naive man, not well-informed about the world despite being an intelligence officer. And I wasn't surprised to see him flame out very quickly.

General Mattis is almost the opposite of General Flynn. Mattis, who's now the secretary of defense, is one of the more thoughtful people I've ever met in uniform or out.

It's been sad for me to watch McMaster in recent weeks because he's a thoughtful man as well - more emotional, more big and physical than Mattis but an intellectual himself. He wrote a very good book, called "Dereliction Of Duty," about the Vietnam War and the failures of American generals to tell the truth to American politicians, especially President Lyndon Johnson. And so it's almost Shakespearean to see McMaster in the White House as the national security adviser faced with the same situation, in many ways, that the Vietnam generals had. And when it's his job to get up and speak truth to power, instead he appears, in recent days, to have stood up and shielded the president from the truth and dissembled about the truth rather than insisting on the truth.
And then the next day, he got up, and he kind of quibbled on that a little bit. He said, well, he actually confirmed the facts of the story, but then said the premise of the story was false. I'd gone through the same situation with McMaster where I'd written a story about McMaster in Iraq in 2006 that put his unit in a very good light and him in a very good light about the work they had done in taking a new approach in fighting the war.

But there was one paragraph in it he disliked. He didn't dispute the truth of it. He just disliked it, and so he called me and yelled at me for two days over the phone in Iraq to complain about it. And I heard that exact same tone when he got up at the White House and called the story false. He actually never said what he thought the wrong facts were, but he basically was saying I don't like that story.
He specifically wanted to defend his unit, his regiment and protect the morale of troops who he thought might be demoralized by seeing the previous tour of duty that they had criticized. I...

GROSS: And you think that's what he's doing now is trying to kind of protect the president or protect the morale of the administration.

RICKS: Yes. And I think he failed to see that his job is not to protect the president. It's to protect the nation. And what I fear General McMaster has done in recent weeks by coming out and seeking to protect the president is not his job. He shouldn't protect the president. He should protect the nation. And I fear that through his recent actions, he has enabled President Trump to continue to operate in this very reckless, ignorant way. Now, I think what McMaster thinks he's doing is the best he can do in that situation. What I fear he doesn't see is he's enabling it to become worse.

GROSS: So you've written that you don't think that McMaster will dutifully defend President Trump for long. Why do you think that?

RICKS: It's a crushing burden to be in political power in Washington these days, and you see people almost lose their souls. I think Sean Spicer, the president's spokesman in recent weeks has been pushed almost to the edge of a nervous breakdown from his public appearance. And he's kind of lost a big part of his soul, and I think that's true of some other people. And H.R. McMaster is a man of great soul, of great feeling. I remember talking to him in Iraq, and his voice would grow thick. And when he was kind of angry a little bit, he'd rolled his shoulders as he talked to you, almost as if to loosen up those back muscles.

And watching H.R. McMaster, an officer I do admire, over the last few weeks, I feel like I've seen him come out and give up a slice of his soul a few times. And I wonder how many more times he can do that before he just says I am becoming part of the problem, not part of the solution here.
In a general way, I do know how Flynn wound up at the White House, which is that Donald Trump is a profoundly ignorant man. And the people around him are equally ignorant. He doesn't trust anybody. He doesn't know a lot about Washington. He knows almost nothing about the U.S. government and, in fact, appears not to understand the U.S. Constitution. And so people who would kind of drift across his attention would wind up working for him.

I think he gets most of his information from television and from conversation. And I think he's very good at acquiring information from conversation, like a lot of people who are not really literate. He listens well. He hears well. And he remembers well. And so you see, disproportionately, he's inclined to hire people who've appeared on Fox News, which is a very small and dangerous segment of American society.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Reverand maynard posted:

and? It looks hilariously childish. Imagine any other president just bobbing along to the song and mouthing the words.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/29/portland-attack-republican-james-buchal-militia-groups

quote:

As tensions continue in Portland following the racially charged murder of two men on Friday, the top Republican in the city he is considering using militia groups as security for public events.

Multnomah County GOP chair James Buchal, however, told the Guardian that recent street protests had prompted Portland Republicans to consider alternatives to “abandoning the public square”.

“I am sort of evolving to the point where I think that it is appropriate for Republicans to continue to go out there,” he said. “And if they need to have a security force protecting them, that’s an appropriate thing too.”

Asked if this meant Republicans making their own security arrangements rather than relying on city or state police, Buchal said: “Yeah. And there are these people arising, like the Oath Keepers and the Three Percenters.”

Asked if he was considering such groups as security providers, Buchal said: “Yeah. We’re thinking about that. Because there are now belligerent, unstable people who are convinced that Republicans are like Nazis.”

The main reason Buchal gave for his attraction to the militia groups was the cancellation of the Avenue of the Roses Parade, an annual Portland community event scheduled for 29 April, after organisers received an anonymously emailed threat of disruption.

The anonymous message claimed “Trump supporters and 3% militia” were encouraging people to “bring hateful rhetoric” to East Portland. “Two hundred or more people”, the email said, would “rush into the middle and drag and push those people out”.

When the parade was called off, Buchal issued a statement in which he bemoaned a “criminal conspiracy to commit crimes of riot” and a letter to Mayor Wheeler in which he lamented “rising lawlessness” in Portland.

In response to the cancellation a local far right organizer, Joey Gibson, organized a “free speech rally” – the event at which Christian, the suspect in Friday’s double murder, was filmed throwing fascist salutes and yelling racial epithets, and where he approached antifascist counter-protesters armed with a baseball bat.

Asked about Gibson’s organizing efforts for the far right, including a planned rally this Sunday which leftwing counter-protesters have vowed to oppose, Buchal said such actions were understandable.

“I think that for a long time there has been a closing of the mind and a censoring to a point where now people feel justified in using force to prevent the expression of opinions with which they disagree,” he said. “I believe that the left – the ‘antifa’ [antifascist] crowd – fired the first shot in that regard.

“There is definitely something wrong if criminal gangs are essentially allowed to shut down normal and traditional activities of Republicans. With that climate arising, the question becomes: ‘What do you do?’ A lot of the rank and file party members are old and frail people. They are intimidated by what’s going on

'normal and traditional activities of the Republicans'

:tif:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

M_Gargantua posted:

This article :unsmigghh:

For a while now I kept thinking that this whole politics thing will come to blood then second guessing myself.

I no longer second guess my gut feelings. There will be blood.

There has been blood. There will continue to be blood.

• Locked thread