Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
In Flagstaff current events, the trial for the kid that shot four folks and killed one on campus in the Fall of 2015 is looking to be headed for a hung jury.

I sat through the opening & closing statements, the testimony, and the even the jury asking questions, and my conclusion is that both the prosecution and defense counsel are morons. I'm armchair-lawyering obviously, but there's a charge of premeditated murder, the prosecutor calls the shooter an "assassin in the night", and then - in his opening statement, no less - he submits that two of the victims lunged at the shooter, the shooter stopped firing after the first victim got hit, stowed his weapon and went in for first aid, and asked the first officer on the scene to help the victims.

The guy also got his opening statements interrupted by a bunch of sustained objections, so I have no idea if there's some calculated grandstanding there, or if the prosecutor is just dumb. Defense counsel is also a babbling fool, though.

After five days of deliberation, the jury hasn't even reached on ANY of the five aggravated assault charges, nor the premeditated murder charge.

http://www.12news.com/news/local/arizona/judge-gives-instructions-to-jury-in-nau-shooting-trial-deliberations-resume/429413315

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

loving beautiful.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

ded posted:

Here is one I cannot understand the how or why it would ever pass.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/02/news/economy/overtime-pay-bill-passes-house/index.html

gently caress you, no overtime pay. Instead you get to have 'time off' when the employer decides its ok.

What?

Seriously.

WHAT?!

Can you imagine how that would work for things like police or nurses? My wife puts in OT every week because they always need more nurses and gets called in on days off all the drat time.

Lol have some time with the family instead of earning the money you may need to support that family

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Every single European Copyright Lawyer just had a seizure after that post.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Whoa buddy, this is the country where O.J. got off, soaybe you could set the bar a little lower for your legal expectations. You keep mouthing off like that and we won't let your kind work here!

Well, OJ at least got a not-guilty verdict out of his clusterfuck. The NAU shooter got a mistrial thanks to idiocy on both sides.

Kids are losing their loving poo poo over here at the moment. It's like Black Lives Matter, but...uh...with Frat Boys and with justice literally done.

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/arizona-news/252087036-story

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's Phillip.

OR IS IT?

On the upside, Liz can finally get back to tinder.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

McNally posted:

Holy poo poo, gently caress you.

Honestly, when I read that REALLY brief passage, my first thought also was "Hold on, he hosed up throwing a grenade and then unfucked his gently caress-up", but if anyone's second thought after that isn't "dude got the medal of honor for it, that CAN'T be all there is to the story", I don't even know what to say.

The process of awarding the drat thing is so loving arduous and thorough, you can pretty much accept that whoever got it, deserved it, and don't really need to second guess.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

psydude posted:

But why wouldn't I just move to a country with better, cheaper internet and better looking people. Like Germany.

Because our shitters are weird.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Because shitter-water splashing back into your rear end in a top hat is unsanitary, and if you've ever had to provide a stool sample, you'll thank the gods you had a poop-inspection plate as opposed to playing turd-bobbing in the bowl.

psydude posted:

Germans don't just like smelling poop.

Yeah, it's actually this.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Do you know how you provide a stool sample? Because it isn't by fishing it out of the water. They give you what looks like a plastic cowboy hat that sits in the bowl. You poo poo in that, then scoop into a little sample cup that has a spoon attached to the lid or with something similar. It looks like this:

I mean, maybe you need giant poop-cowboy-hats in Freedomland, but where I'm from you get a little plastic container with a scoop built into the lid, and a sealing bag and box to put it in.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

do germans just rest their dicks on the top of the lid? theres no dickspace in this setup :confused:

:lol: I have no idea what's going on

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

im glad ive made it this far without needing some nerd to study my actual poo poo

:smith:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/860479885566980096

:downs:

:lol:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

In German news, Schleswig-Holstein's regional election results are in, and the main opposition party to Merkel's CDU bombed hard. They needed to show that they still have momentum to carry over into the national election in September, but instead nutted in their pants before even picking up their date at the door.

The AfD (Alternative fuer Deutschland), basically the Neonazis with the most recent new-car-smell, barely cleared the 5% bar, which essentially meant to avoid a major defeat. It's pretty much around where they polled, and they've been plagued with infighting and other scandals, so no one was expecting major gains for them.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Suicide Watch posted:

You know how I know vaccines cause autism? Because it seems like everyone people here got their vaccinations when they were younger

It is funny because we all have autism. Well joked, comrade.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Two Finger posted:

This is an official statement when it comes from this account yeah?

Doesn't matter which account his drivel comes from.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

shyduck posted:

We're going to have a coal-powered navy

Ahem, clean-coal-powered navy, if you please.

:smuggo:

Also, go to GAP's Old Navy online store right now, select the baby clothing and scroll down.

:laffo:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

I posted this on Facebook and immediately got a rant.

Thanks guy who already forgot my deployments to the middle East and Africa. Like the lack of perspective is kinda funny to me; is he saying it's my right to punch him because I feel like HE'S a jackass?

Call him a commie for saying America is only "one of the greatest nations in the world".

loving unamerican shitlord, lol

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Deathy McDeath posted:

Yo what happened to your leg???

'murican healthcare made it great again.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

MRC48B posted:

Same, but with the Pledge of Allegiance.

Having children stand and recite a pledge to a flag as soon as they're in the education system is really weird to the rest of the civilized world, by the way. And I'm not even just talking about Deutschland.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

poodonkey posted:

If you have the misfortune to grow up in Texas, you do the Texas pledge too. Which is much more awkward.

:frogon:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

orange juche posted:

This describes texas pretty well.

"Aggies (avoid)" may be the most accurate two-word description I've seen in a while.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

:allbuttons:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The Orgasm Sanction posted:

Those fucks do that every time they come here.

It'd be nice if State gave enough of a poo poo to actually supply enough police to prevent that.

Would be even nicer if the president gave enough of a poo poo to make an example out of them.

I don't know which would be less diplomatically painful, nullifying their immunity, or setting them up to get their asses kicked.

Does every single one of those fuckers have diplomatic immunity? That can't be right, can it?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

shyduck posted:

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/864899386047946752

Picked up by a hot mic. These retards never learn.

Pretty much par for course, but you'd think someone like Trump would be mindful of potential hot mikes.

But then again, "you'd think" went out the window a long time ago.

/edit:

For what it's worth, I'm impressed that the T-man hasn't tweeted all day.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 17, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Lmao if you think there won't be an HBO miniseries within months of him leaving office (term limited or otherwise)

I want something with excellent performances like in Game Change, but in 10 parts, and with levels of bizarre rivaling The People vs. OJ.

I'm not worried about the latter.

/goddamnit, every single time of the rare occasions I try to look for a movie I don't usually have access to, it's not on Netflix. But Netflix recommended "The Smartest Guys in the Room", so I might as well watch that one again. A film about Enron should sate my desire for bizarre for now.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 18, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

How in the gently caress

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

hey watch this and forget about trump for a couple minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCrntRaolIA

Oh good, now that I'm excited about and aware of it, every possible thing that could go wrong with it will.

I'm just glad there's not a lot that can go wrong with it :downs:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

With the gift of hindsight, his actions during the election make a lot more sense. He had this massive russian thing he was working on at the same time he was investigating the leaks to Guliani. Rudy, and thus Trump and the Russians had the info about weiner's laptop. He had no choice but write his letter to congress about it and he obviously couldn't come out and say why.

Hold on, explain this to me in layman's terms. What do we know now that the public didn't know back then that made him seem like a douchebag for doing it before the election?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Sorry to be the buzzkill, but what exactly makes this so monumental vis-a-vis his previous session of testimony? Wouldn't he still not be able to testify regarding classified matters as long as it's an open session?

Or is this all about getting him on the record saying "lol, Trump's full of poo poo and told me to not look into Russia?"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

not caring here posted:

So what happens when you get found that you've hosed up your master's thesis or PhD thesis like that, do they revoke it?

In Germany, cabinet members lose their positions and reputation over this type of poo poo. There was a chain of incidents like this after a high-profile politician lost their PhD and position, so the Internet jumped in a shitton of other politician's theses.

Most high-profile was our SecDef getting kicked out for having plagiarized in his thesis.

In America of 2017, I'm guessing you can milk it for being a maverick that doesn't conform to institutional constraints or something.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Godholio posted:

:shrug: A noncompliant guy acting unpredictably and reaching into his vehicle (you can see it in the helo video, before he's shot) is going to be treated as a threat. I'm not saying he deserved it, but trying to string up the woman who shot him is more excessive.

But isn't there a world of time for non-lethal options before capping the guy? The guy REALLY, REALLY slowly walks away with his hands raised...why not tase the gently caress out of him? Or pepperspray or whatever they're carrying? At the very least when the second cop joins the fray, so you don't have to holster your gun or whatever. And then there's THREE cops abreast and a fourth one right behind them, with ample time before he reaches in the window.

If this were a one cop versus massive dude situation, I'd have a different perspective, but I don't quite understand how there seems to be nothing in their repertoire between "train weapon on person" and "shoot person", except for "wait for person to do thing that makes you shoot person".

/edit:

hell, the cop in the helo even specifically says "Time for a Taser, I think", and his buddy answers "Got a feeling that's about to happen"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Untagged posted:

In a lot places cops can't tase people for non compliance that doesn't involve physical resistance or direct violence.

*Recent court decisions.

So he might be reaching in a car, he might be grabbing a gun, we might be in a gun fight in 2 seconds, but since he's not physically fighting back - can't tase him unless you want to be sued and thrown under the bus by your department. But welp now he's potentially a threat of serious bodily harm or death, sooo time for the taser has passed. What a world.

That...does somehow make sense, all American things considered.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Never played Deus Ex, so I do not get that reference.

Lol @ that "global center for combatting terrorism", though

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Current event: It's 6 years after the Fukushima fuckup, and TEPCO is still not even remotely underway unfucking their fuckup.

Nope, they've managed to gently caress up a whole lot more, and are trying to keep it on the down-low, something they definitely didn't do in 2011.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

quote:

On Monday, however, Ankara said it had lodged a verbal and written protest at the behavior of US security personnel, saying they had taken actions that were “aggressive and unprofessional” and “contrary to diplomatic rules and practices”.

The stones on these motherfuckers. :lol:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'll bookmark that post, but I got important poo poo to do right now, like having a beer at the pool in this beautiful loving Flagstaff weather.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Kill count rapidly increasing in that explosion, 20 dead, hundreds injured.

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/866794890579062784

I genuinely hope for a case of social media snowballing, because anything else is loving atrocious.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Authorities are apparently confirming multiple fatalities, doesn't seem like the "busted balloon caused stampede" theory us holding up

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm kinda hammered and tempted to say all kinds of edgy poo poo about whatshername, but I genuinely hope this is all a media overreaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I also don't know what the funk ariana grande is .

• Locked thread