Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

The point is he was long dead by that point and was an un-repentant slave owner who wouldn't have done anything to stop the war. Donnie likes him because he was a fellow loudmouth dickhead.

Yeah, but Jackson was a war hero and Trump's a chickenhawk and a cowardly bully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Genocide Tendency posted:

Jackson also beat a man with his cane after the guy tried to shoot him with two different guns.

Which remans the only cool thing he has ever done.

He teamed up with a dirty river pirate to whip the British at the Battle of New Orleans. That was pretty cool.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Genocide Tendency posted:

Wasn't Shine the guy that Hannity was crying about being unfairly attacked last week?

Yep. Shine wasn't a name that people recognized like Roger Ailes was, but he was just as big a piece of poo poo.

Hannity's whining about it because he's losing one of the last of the upper-management chucklefucks who will go to bat for him next time something racist oozes out of his mouth.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Proud Christian Mom posted:

reading this budget overview I'd never in a million years thought Democrats could get this much

They're planning to completely rewrite the tax code to soak the poor and give a big cut to the wealthy before the summer's out, they didn't want a major budget fight beforehand.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Deathy McDeath posted:

The latest whip count is 22 "no" votes. Republicans can only afford to lose 22.
http://thehill.com/homenews/news/330717-the-hills-whip-list-who-to-watch-on-gops-new-obamacare-bill

Any moderate GOPer is already facing an extremely difficult reelection this year, and any one of them voting to throw out Obamacare altogether might as well just retire now.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Doublepost because CRISPR is already doing cool poo poo.

Gene Editing Strategy Eliminates HIV-1 Infection in Live Animals, Temple Researchers Show

quote:

A permanent cure for HIV infection remains elusive due to the virus's ability to hide away in latent reservoirs. But now, in new research published in print May 3 in the journal Molecular Therapy, scientists at the Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University (LKSOM) and the University of Pittsburgh show that they can excise HIV DNA from the genomes of living animals to eliminate further infection. They are the first to perform the feat in three different animal models, including a “humanized” model in which mice were transplanted with human immune cells and infected with the virus. The team is the first to demonstrate that HIV-1 replication can be completely shut down and the virus eliminated from infected cells in animals with a powerful gene editing technology known as CRISPR/Cas9.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Best Friends posted:

Trump thinking he could have out-dealed the civil war from happening is funny, but him saying that and then being unable to pass legislation with a republican congress is next level hilarious. At this point he is objectively worse at political deal making than George W Bush.

Bush had actually competent, experienced legislators and bureaucrats working for him who were dedicated to pushing his policies. The reality warping power of 9/11 and the Iraq War greased the skids for a lot of his dumb poo poo, but even in a vacuum there's no comparing a skilled political operator like Dick Cheney to a bumbling dumbfuck like Steve Bannon.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

facialimpediment posted:

Donnie thinks the Continuing Resolution deal was so bad that there absolutely must be a shutdown on October 1st and the filibuster must be removed.

That's right, because Donnie is so mad at Democrats for steamrolling him, he is actually CALLING for a government shutdown in October. I'm not linking his tweets.

This all while his OMB guy says they actually got a good deal. It's been a very :psyduck: thing to watch Washington DC react when there isn't a clear set of talking points being distributed, so everyone is winging it and the White House is constantly contradicting each other.

Meanwhile, the THAAD missile defense system is up in Worst Korea, but Worst Korea is superfuckingpissed at Donnie's threat to make them pay for it, even after McMaster confirmed that the US was paying. Worst Korea was sorta on the fence about installing the THAAD system to begin with, so they're one step closed to telling Donnie to go gently caress himself.

https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/status/859434445148966912

Pence has been quiet and making international trips for a reason.

THAAD in South Korea gives us two shots at any missiles that the Norks (*cough* or the Chinese *cough*) throw our way so if Donnie fucks that up with his idiocy he will actually have damaged US security in an immediately measurable way.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Roger Stone is such a batty old ratfucker that part of me wants to like him.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Yeesh.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
No CBO score? No problem!

My only hope is that it passes and becomes law because it's laser-targeted towards killing Trump's poor, old, rural idiot base.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

omg they're killing themselves for trump

Nah they're killing themselves because they're almost literally cranking their dicks off at the thought of imposing a big tax hike on the poor and slashing taxes for business and the rich.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
It's Phillip.

He was a regressive old gently caress.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Duzzy Funlop posted:

OR IS IT?

On the upside, Liz can finally get back to tinder.

Do consorts get to inherit anything, or am I off the Royal Dole the second she kicks it?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

Nothing the royals have done in the past 100 years was as embarrassing as what happened here within the past year, and that includes Edward VIII marrying a whore and sucking up to Hitler. I wish Liz was our head of state.

Wallis Simpson banged Joachim von Ribbentrop, Edward VII getting to play second banana to Hitler's idiot foreign minister and later getting banished by his own brother to Bermuda for being too pro-Nazi was pretty goddamn embarrassing.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
House GOP has left reality and entered whatever world the Naked Gun movies were filmed in.

https://twitter.com/emmarieNYT/stat...genumber%3D6296

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

MA-Horus posted:

Someone post Sherman's ice burn on war-mongering southerners

You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. I know I had no hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices to-day than any of you to secure peace.

Still the best American.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

He really is, especially for this part

There is a reason his troops called him Uncle Billie, he was effective, but he had a big heart, but he'd do what he had to.

That extended well past his time as a general. Vets of his army who were down on their luck and turned up at his place always got a meal, a place to sleep for the night, and a few bucks in their pocket on their way out.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
One day the FBI is going to raid the Huckabee compound and find a bunch of gnawed-on human femurs & mutant dogs n' poo poo.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

FastestGunAlive posted:

Do they have truck nuts and a molon labia sticker to go with those diesel smoke stacks ?

Close, Adidas and track suits.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kawasaki Nun posted:

bleh, I guess we do have the crown of stupidest democracy

There's never been a serious challenger.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

facialimpediment posted:

1) it's counsel not council :downs:

2) generally it's good to get water or a fire extinguisher when there is a blaze going on, not a can of gasoline

https://twitter.com/CillizzaCNN/status/861556350618411008

Edit: well gently caress, Gorka is staying around because Donnie and Bannon intervened https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/861558426601697280

Good. We can keep hanging that lovely little fascist around Trump's neck.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Might be other things going on that we don't know about. His son is a whackadoo Pizzagate diehard who reposts and flogs anything that Alex Jones burps up on his show, and that sort of political crazy doesn't usually happen in a vacuum.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

No way we're getting that THAAD installed there now. :(

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Two Finger posted:

I thought he did. Or was it just the head investigator he fired

He fired his attorney general and his deputy attorney general when they refused to fire Watergate Special Prosecutor Archibald Cox.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Trump thought that firing Comey would be no big deal.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

No check mark and no one else seems to be picking this up.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I think we should all be very concerned about whatever military action he's contemplating to take the gaze off of this Russia poo poo.

Worst case is going kinetic on the DPRK, best case is taking Iraq/Syria/Afghanistan to "the next level"

Jesus gently caress almighty it's gonna be a blood bath to get a diversion.

He might announce another investigation of Clinton's emails. The usual right-wing propagandists are calling for one.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hot Karl Marx posted:

How can a third of your country have 0 opinion on something like that?

A third of them have no idea what the significance is.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

I always felt like American flag worship was a relic of the gilded age and America's more shameful chapters.

We are living through one of America's more shameful chapters.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I'm all the people who guessed Afghanistan and thought they were owning this poo poo.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Yeah, that's pretty bad. But on the other hand revealing top secret information to the Russians inside of the Oval Office probably destroyed one of Diane Feinstein's horcruxes, so we have that going for us.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Word coming in that WaPo pulled a couple of key paragraphs and withheld the name of the city in question at the last minute because intelligence officials are trying to limit the damage.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
McCain sending thunderbolts down from the mountain! National Security shall not be compro....

https://twitter.com/ericawerner/sta...genumber%3D7438

:smugdon:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

McConnell supports the idea of appointing another slavering sociopath to an important court.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

Who the hell is Seth Rich?

He's that DNC staffer who got killed in some DC mugging. MAGAs are convinced that he was the one leaking DNC inside info to Julian Assange and that Hillary had him whacked for it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

Oh drat apparently Cornell hung himself, I was going to guess heroin overdose

I kinda wonder if it was autoerotic asphyxiation. I don't know what his marriage is like, but he has two daughters who are just 12 and 16. Seems like a strange thing for a dad to off himself with two kids that young.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Arc Light posted:

I wonder who will play Trump in the inevitable movie 10-20 years from now.

Rutger Hauer if he's still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Well why didn't you run then :shrug:

Joe's great but no more Monday morning quarterbacking

His son had just died and going for it meant a bruising primary fight with Clinton which may have split the moderate Democrat vote and let Bernie walk away with the nomination. Also, Clinton had a lot of his natural donor bucks already tied up.

• Locked thread