Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Reverand maynard posted:

I dipped into the trump thread in GBS and I think its official: viking skull was retarded the entire time

Some thick motherfuckers in that thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Proud Christian Mom posted:

This was literally the only acceptable outcome all along

Sticks in my craw. Assad is a mass-murderer, and gently caress Putin.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Richard Bong posted:

I mean yeah it loving sucks keeping him around, but what are the other options? Who is palatable, has support, and alive? I've got no ideas. If we push out Assad we just bought ourselves a situation worse than 2003 iraq. I honestly cannot come up with a better and realistic solution.

Could be, but if we abandon the Kurds we really will be history's bastards.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

I served with McMaster and he signed a copy of his book for me back then. I'm unsure of my current opinion; he's either falling on his sword for the country or he's infected like everyone else.

Once you start to compromise to keep your job and "be effective" it's hard to stop. He should re-read his own book.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Office Pig posted:

Oh and we just signed an arms deal of >$100 billion usd with Saudi Arabia so congratulations Trump voters, you'll never understand the irony but you can go gently caress yourselves anyway.

Fairly normal business. We've been selling the Saudis guns and bombs for decades.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

In theory, arming the Saudis should reduce the need for us to stick our dick in the crazy that is the middle east. In practice, we've gleefully done it anyway, so I'm not really sure what benefit we're getting other than making MIC investors' portfolios tick up a couple of points.

Are they still fighting in Yemen? I remember seeing them get a few Abrams wrecked by guided rockets, but I really haven't heard much about it over the last year because US politics is such a shitshow.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

FastestGunAlive posted:

Didn't really like him either but dude got Jodied so RIP

By the pool guy.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BUG JUG posted:

Just gave the thesis a skim and holy lol is it poorly written. But, on top of that: through the first 23 pages of text (which does not include eighteen pages of prefatory remarks and material) he has 116 citations, and has only -- by my quick skim -- used quotation marks to denote an honest to god quote twice. Once to quote Ben Franklin (no looking guess which quote he uses). He has clearly cited in-text Colin Powell, and "writer" Mark Bowden (no clue who that is). This is super plagiarism and his advisor should be shot out of the academy for letting this poo poo through.

Quoting for posterity about how wrong I was about this.

Bowden wrote Black Hawk Down and Killing Pablo. Both were pretty decent summer reading, but nothing I'd cite in an academic work outside of a very narrow focus (e.g. the hunt for Pablo Escobar).

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

And it's going to cost him big. IIRC, Hillary Clinton's Chief of Staff had hundreds of thousands of legal debt by the time Bill left office in 2000. One of the big reasons that she and Bill got into the private speaking game was that they were each in debt up to their necks.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Y'know, in Montana, that might not hurt Gianforte.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
FBI is peeking under Kush's skirt to see if there's any Russia up in there.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Handsome Ralph posted:

Quist looks like he's gonna lose MTAL special election.

Joke's on me for ever having hope. Nothing matters. :smith:

If he loses by less than 5% that's close enough to give the GOP something to worry about. In 2016 it went red by 16 points.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

America is a violent and brutal nation. Always has been. Most of our founding fathers literally owned other humans, and were not unfamiliar with killing. Aaron Burr was the sitting Vice President when he killed Alexander Hamilton. Andrew Jackson liked nothing more than to step outside, and had killed a man in a duel before he became our 7th President. He then went on to ignore the Supreme Court and instigate something that we still refer to, not inaccurately, as "The Trail of Tears." Preston Brooks' constituents re-elected him after he beat Senator Charles Sumner unconscious with a cane, leaving wounds that required three years of recuperation. (He was aided and abetted by Laurence Keitt, who brandished a pistol in the Senate chambers to keep onlookers from coming to Sumner's aid, and Henry Edmundson, who had previously been arrested by the Sergeant at Arms for assaulting another Senator.)

We might try to he better than our bloody legacy, but it is always there, below the surface.

Preston Brooks later challenged another congressman to a duel but backed out like the bitch he was when his opponent enthusiastically accepted and showed every sign that he was planning to kill him dead.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Marcon was having almost too much fun being lovely to Trump.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

This is probably going to bite us in the rear end eventually, but gently caress Turkey, gently caress Syria, and gently caress ISIS in the meantime.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

I tried except for the math section where I just chose random answers and got an 80

then chose infantry

because i'm an idiot

well that's my story carry on

Friend of mine joined because he ran out of money for his chemistry degree and didn't want to take out more loans, he scored 99 on the ASVAB and decided to join Chemical Ops because he thought it was vaguely related to his half-completed college degree. Ended up driving trucks in Iraq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Slim Pickens posted:

Shoulda been one of those dickbags hooking suckers into variable rate mortgages they can't afford for fat skrilla. Would've been a blast for the next eight years!

Guy I knew from high school went from bartending to selling subprime loans to banks. He had a fun four years.

• Locked thread