Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

It's this. It's the antithesis of the approach of trying to avoid saying Islamic.

The other possibility is that people in the administration are trying to butter up their favorite reporters and DGAF at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

milk milk lemonade posted:

I truly wonder - what would affect would publicizing the names of people who die inadvertently from US bombs and such in Iraq/Afghanistan have on people's perception of war? I was reading the list of Ariana Grande bombing victims, and it struck me I never saw a list like this for Deh Bala or Kakarak. Do we care about the Brits because they're largely also white and share our values to a degree?

Wandering around recently bombed parts of Helmand, enquiring about their dead kids, is a hobby mostly for those who aren't too attached to their heads. Also, given the general lack of records or respect for factual accuracy in Afghanistan, you probably won't get good answers anyway.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
It's her turn! Again!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

If conservative voters are really so far gone as to vote in a millionaire psychopath that assaults reporters the day before the election, where the gently caress does that leave us as a democracy? Is there a constructive path forward that sane-minded Americans can take or is it all just a slow descent into division and violence from here?

America is a violent and brutal nation. Always has been. Most of our founding fathers literally owned other humans, and were not unfamiliar with killing. Aaron Burr was the sitting Vice President when he killed Alexander Hamilton. Andrew Jackson liked nothing more than to step outside, and had killed a man in a duel before he became our 7th President. He then went on to ignore the Supreme Court and instigate something that we still refer to, not inaccurately, as "The Trail of Tears." Preston Brooks' constituents re-elected him after he beat Senator Charles Sumner unconscious with a cane, leaving wounds that required three years of recuperation. (He was aided and abetted by Laurence Keitt, who brandished a pistol in the Senate chambers to keep onlookers from coming to Sumner's aid, and Henry Edmundson, who had previously been arrested by the Sergeant at Arms for assaulting another Senator.)

We might try to he better than our bloody legacy, but it is always there, below the surface.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Or standard Tea Partier/Trumpite. Lots of Trumpites believe the hype about Muslims being illegals.

The correlation between untreated schizophrenia and random violence is much stronger than the correlation between being a Trumpist/Tea Partier and random violence.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Kawasaki Nun posted:

What's your point? You go back 80ish years in Japanese politics and they were beheading captured American soldiers. I don't see them returning to that. 50 years ago people were marching for equal rights in the south. Around the same time a sitting president decided to rescind the presidency rather than face impeachment.

If you have to reach back over a century to draw parallels to today, it might be because the actions of the present are indefnisble

Edit: Cain killed Abel, and maybe we'll never get past that as a society? Who can say....

Perhaps, instead of thinking of our current detente as a natural evolution, you should consider it an anomaly, and that our political struggles being coupled with physical violence is actually the normal state of affairs. Like peace in Europe, it's worth working towards, but it isn't how things have been for most of history, or are guaranteed to be in the future.

Hand wringing about how our democracy can exist when our elected officials are committing violence is odd, since that's how we rolled for a few hundred years.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Best Friends posted:

This country skewed right during the Nixon-Bush era but it skewed left before that, and I think we're going back to the left. Single payer is polling well, gay marriage went from fringe pipe dream to something conservatives and centrists are busily pretending they were always for, weed getting normalized, etc.

In the time before Nixon, (pre 1969,) being black was a de facto crime in large parts of the United States, and being gay was an actual crime, and everyone south of the Mason-Dixon was a pro-union Democrat, so I'm not really sure that 2017 ideas of "liberal" and "conservative" map to even the recent past.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

DR are you seriously going 2 for 2 on jumping out in front of the last two violent incidents to conduct a drat psychiatric evaluation based off a news article. "Hmm yes according to my expertise this is a guaranteed case of schizophrenia and no way is it politically or racially motivated". Lmao
I'm just throwing some water on folks like CommieGIR who respond to every murder committed by a conservative with "CLEARLY YOU SEE NOW THE BRUTE NATURE OF THE TRUMP VOTER, AROUND MAGA NEVER RELAX", so I'm not the one jumping in to ascribe motive here. While there have been a few killings that fit the mold of ideologically motivated terrorism, (Charleston church shooter comes to mind) most of the random assaults people are posting do not.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Isn't indiscriminate murder enough reason to say someone was clearly psychologically disturbed? I mean, no one is out there defending the Manchester bomber's mental health and we can probably all agree he would have benefited from intervention by a mental health professional, but that doesnt discount that what he did was terrorism. This Portland guy may be crazier than all hell, that doesn't mean he can't commit a racially or religiously motivated crime.
No, there is distinction between deliberate acts of terrorism and episodes of untreated mental illness. While it is possible that the Manchester bomber had some sort of mental illness, premeditated acts of religious violence have been committed by plenty of sane people in the past.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
You might be in for a surprise. Press found his Facebook, which, uh, sure is something.

Best Friends posted:

Those who commit acts of terror tend to be both insane losers and also extremely hateful, it's not an either or. The Oregon guy apparently has a very long history of white supremacism.

Edit: here's a long thread on the guy's background

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/868477854127763457

Yeah, this sounds like a guy with a coherent, conservative, Christian, pro-Trump political philosophy:

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 27, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Best Friends posted:

Like do you realize how many white supremacists aren't Christian? Weird neo pagan stuff is all the rage in prison gangs.
"Bizarre neo-Pagan white supremacists" are not exactly a core Republican demographic. Here is what is was responding to:

Casimir Radon posted:

I can't wait for the GOP to claim this has nothing to do with their rhetoric.

CommieGIR posted:

Or standard Tea Partier/Trumpite. Lots of Trumpites believe the hype about Muslims being illegals.

People ITT stating, or at the very least strongly insinuating, that this guy was a Trump supporter/Tea Partier, and that his actions were inspired by Trump/GOP/Tea Party rhetoric.

This guy was a loon ball who happened to have an axe to grind with immigrants and Muslims. The Republican party is also anti immigrant, and Trump is anti Muslim, but saying that the Political Nihilist Lizard King was directly inspired to stab two people in the throat by the GOP establishment is "hmm do you know who else went to art school? :godwin:" levels of seeing what you want to see.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Loden Taylor posted:

I don't think the point is that he was directly inspired, but that the current level of anti-immigrant rhetoric is such that he may have been emboldened by it. The dude's a fringe loony, but when the mainstream ruling party normalizes xenophobic speech and attitudes, it creates an environment where someone on the fringe might feel it's safe to take more drastic action than they may have previously.
According to his rap sheet, the guy had a long history of being violent and erratic prior to Trump getting elected, and I see little reason to believe he wouldn't have continued to be violent and erratic irrespective of who won the election. Nothing about this guy screams "cares about being in the Overton window". The habit of certain posters to chime in with, "this never would have happened if it weren't for the Tea Party" every time a person who preferred Trump to Hillary kills someone regardless of the circumstances says more about them than it does reflect reality.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

A Bad Poster posted:

With the amount of infighting there is now? No, it'll be a bloodbath while everyone struggles to gain control.

Inshallah.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
If I was Angela Merkel, I'd just start casually dropping references to Lebensraum into my speeches.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

It's a logistics issue more than it is an ability issue.
🤔 Logistics is an ability issue. Although we may have already passed the threshold where information warfare is the key capability that wins wars between peer adversaries, logistics was what won wars for most of the 20th century, and remains a key enabler. The fiercest soldiers in the world are useless if you can't supply them.

During Odyssey Dawn, the French weren't even close to the most humorous NATO partner. (For my money, that would be the Swedes deploying their fighters to a field that didn't have fuel that the Gripen was certified for.) However the fact that they had to borrow American logistics for Op Serval speaks volumes.

FastestGunAlive posted:

i'll never understand all the hate americans have for france, just because they didn't want to join in on oif.
Americans hate France because the Americans and the French both believe they come from what is obviously the best country in the world.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Giving the French poo poo for getting overrun by the Germans in 1940 is like giving the New England Patriots poo poo for getting blown out 52-0 by the Dolphins in 1972.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Can someone use very small words to describe the joke to me?

facialimpediment posted:

So Donnie toured a new facility in Saudi that is the "Global Center for Combatting Extremist Ideology". Here's that picture:
https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/866348793230311424

Oh they're going to touch a globe nothing could be bad abou-
https://twitter.com/dphrygian/status/866392536809488386

:stare:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

TBeats posted:

Climate change speak:

I don't know how big of a deal this is but to my limited brain, it seems like a big step? Maybe someone can tell me if it is just for optics or if this will actually have a positive impact.

Exxon shareholders approve climate impact report in win for activists

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/exxon-steps-efforts-sway-shareholders-040711436.html

:laffo: It's just optics. If we want to avoid catastrophic climate change, we have to burn less fossil fuels than proven reserves already known to exist. Our only option is to leave a large fraction of the known, proven, bought & paid for fossil fuel deposits in the ground. That means that ExxonMobil, Gazprom, et al will have to write off trillions of dollars in proven, unextracted resources, a financially ruinous move that would likely destroy the company as we know it. Instead, they're still exploring for new oil and gas deposits. Until shareholders are willing to vote to zero out their investments, it's window dressing.

In other fun news, Japan effectively shut down their nuclear industry after Fukushima, so their scientists are working on developing an entirely new fossil fuel source: extracting methane hydrates from the sea floor. If that sounds familiar, it's because methane hydrate plays a large role in the clathrate gun hypothesis wherein changes in the ocean environment cause a runaway release of methane that rapidly cooks the planet. Someone looked at that possible extinction level event and said, "that sure sounds energy dense." Sleep tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Vietnam to build another 40 Gw of coal fired power plants.

http://www.asiasentinel.com/econ-business/vietnam-turns-to-coal/

• Locked thread