Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Dead Reckoning posted:

Out of the IRR, so go hogwild, Donnie, it's not my problem any more.

Waste fraud and abuse is everyone's problem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Duzzy Funlop posted:

In Flagstaff current events, the trial for the kid that shot four folks and killed one on campus in the Fall of 2015 is looking to be headed for a hung jury.

I sat through the opening & closing statements, the testimony, and the even the jury asking questions, and my conclusion is that both the prosecution and defense counsel are morons. I'm armchair-lawyering obviously, but there's a charge of premeditated murder, the prosecutor calls the shooter an "assassin in the night", and then - in his opening statement, no less - he submits that two of the victims lunged at the shooter, the shooter stopped firing after the first victim got hit, stowed his weapon and went in for first aid, and asked the first officer on the scene to help the victims.

The guy also got his opening statements interrupted by a bunch of sustained objections, so I have no idea if there's some calculated grandstanding there, or if the prosecutor is just dumb. Defense counsel is also a babbling fool, though.

After five days of deliberation, the jury hasn't even reached on ANY of the five aggravated assault charges, nor the premeditated murder charge.

http://www.12news.com/news/local/arizona/judge-gives-instructions-to-jury-in-nau-shooting-trial-deliberations-resume/429413315

Whoa buddy, this is the country where O.J. got off, soaybe you could set the bar a little lower for your legal expectations. You keep mouthing off like that and we won't let your kind work here!

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 2, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

facialimpediment posted:

Colgate University (New York State) went on active shooter lockdown yesterday.

https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/859502101394751488

Turns out, someone saw a black kid using a glue gun and reported it to the cops :cripes:

It's the feel-good school shooting story of the year

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Are blue checks noting defeated pledges? or like that they have started to try and get them passed? seems like alot of check marks on there...

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

McNally posted:

Please fill in the blank with something plausible, based on prior evidence of Bannon's goals.

"Build the border wall and eventually make Mexico a decorative lace doily" perhaps?

A scary bogeyman for voters to usher in successful midterm elections?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

ded posted:

If you have had that happen to you, yes it was illegal. If you work OT you get OT pay, period. It doesn't matter what they say if you work it they owe you. Employers will try to pull all kinds of things that are not actually legal and try to say they are.

This is one of the reasons unions happened.

I'm pretty sure different states have different regulations on how paid time off is regulated with regards to the proportion of the time's value your employer has to pay you. Depending on how that federal law is written you might only end up getting 70% or so of the value of your time if you cash it in at the end of the year, instead of the 150% you're currently entitled to.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
What is there to be afraid of? Disney movies only being available for digital download on itunes or something?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

how do you regulate that

regulate what aspect of it? Seems like there would probably be a pretty lengthy investigation into potential conflicts before an acquisition like that would be approved, which stands as a pretty serious barrier to it being attempted.

I'm aware that both companies are pretty huge with numerous subsidiaries and holdings, but so what? Any acquisition like this seems like a much bigger deal for stock holders than consumers. It just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

I doubt at any point the regulatory agencies of the federal government will simply throw their hands in the air and say "this is too hard", and it seems to me like Trump's ego wouldn't want to enable the formation of a company that would diminish his relative prestige, unless he had significant investment in it.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

bird food bathtub posted:

Now I'm curious what percent of stuff like design, engineering, man power and overall resources goes into not letting your own military members kill themselves through incompetence instead of the enemy. For training exercises it sure felt North of 50%.

I'm pretty sure it's the design concept that underscores every navy vessel design since sailors became a thing

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Buca di Bepis posted:

My GF has diabetes and isn't rich, the Republican healthcare bill is basically telling her "gently caress you, please die horribly".

Her whole family, which are all impoverished and have all suffered from terrible health issues, voted for Trump

Well once they're all dead(minus your girlfriend) then we can safely say that the system has worked.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

gently caress she suuuuuucks

St.Huckabee of the deep desires more manflesh

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

bird food bathtub posted:

Sure would be neat to get out of the darkest timeline for a bit, because while it sounds fiddly and lawyery and stupid, this is really dangerous territory for Trump. This is the stuff that ended up loving over Nixon. Investigating Whitewater was the start, but stonewalling the opposition, refusing to hand stuff over and firing special prosecutors is what got a whole bunch of people to turn on him.

So let's hope Trump is as incompetent and megalomaniacal as he appears to be and drags this out for years, crippling his own administration and miring the entire party in controversy for years.

Well he's claimed to want to be a Nixonian presence, lets hope that includes being discharged from office (hopefully on his first term)

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Some Penn State frat killed a pledge be delaying treatment for multiple head injuries. This happened despite having security cameras capture the entire event and these stains searching Google.for poo poo like "hazing deaths"

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Yeah!!!! Lock her up!! Lock her up! Lock her up!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Singapore air is pretty great for heading to asia

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Well they did just give another major middle finger to the electoral legitimacy and independence of the west. Perhaps they should be on edge

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
bleh, I guess we do have the crown of stupidest democracy

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Genocide Tendency posted:

While demonstrating an astounding level of ignorance and managing to be loving wrong, he brings up an issue that at some point someone needs to explain.

How did he still have his clearance?

The President doesn't control it. But if there were so many issues surrounding Flynn, why didn't someone involved in security clearances at least look into it. If they did, HOW THE gently caress DID THEY THINK HE SHOULD HAVE KEPT IT? Thats what has really bugged me. Someone somewhere hosed up and let this rear end in a top hat keep a clearance he shouldn't have had.

Uh probably to monitor his activities and more completely understand who he was working for and trying to accomplish. Also if Obama had set the process in motion then this whole fiasco wouldn't be blowing up in Trump's face.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

His clearance wasn't revoked because he wasn't fired for being in bed with Russians. After he separated from the military, his clearance went inactive just like anyone else's. It probably wasn't worth the hassle to revoke an inactive clearance and it was on the Trump clock that his clearance would have been reactivated.

It also would have almost undoubtedly have been painted as partisan politics, considering that Flynn was Trump's guy well before Obama and fuckface met

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Jesus this poo poo is so embarrassing goddamn

Edit: I guess it's just difficult coming to terms that in the 21st century part of being an American is the blase acceptance that foreign agents have infiltrated some of the highest offices of our nation and have seriously undermined our electoral process without any comeuppance

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 9, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/sally-yates-michael-flynn-underlying-conduct-problematic

So if Flynn did something, that can't be disclosed due to confidential sourcing, but the Russian's were aware of? Some kind of underage honeypot operation? Hooker strangler? Seems like it'd have to be both insidious and depraved considering this dude was a General.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Two Finger posted:

Pence is gonna be terrible. Like really goddamned terrible, because he's your standard issue god-fearing R.

Trump is disruptive and destructive enough that he has basically single-handedly mired his own Presidency in so much poo poo they can't get anything done.

Yeah, the much overstated efficacy of Pence would be at ends with the fact that the dude whose coat-tails he rode into the oval office was successfully impeached.

This current crisis seems like a real tripwire for me. If nothing happens, and I really don't expect it to, then I'm gonna go after that Canadian law degree. I can fully understand the reason why so many American politicians at the turn of the 20th century were hesitant to adopt the role of world power. Americans are too busy for that.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Office Pig posted:

Bannon.

Lest we forget, Trump just revealed to the entire world that he held a not-so-secret meeting with not only Kislyak, but the Ukrainian FM in order to broker the Russian annexation of Ukraine.

He fukin tweeted this poo poo.

Double dealing? No, nononon. He was brokering peace with two soverign nation's separately on the same day or some poo poo

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

nullscan posted:

Watch it come out that one of Trump's cronies owns shares in Pelican Cases or some stupid poo poo. What threat is this ban even trying to stop?

There was an announcement that some groups had gotten ahold of TSA screening equipment and were working on designing explosives that wouldn't be immediately detectable and would fit I side a laptop iirc

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
The Wannacry hack seems uh, a bit uh, visible? Like I understand that that it was just a mashing of a lame virus and a great, NSA tier exploit together, but it seemed to me like a particularly brash and stupid move? Like There is not a more visible way of emphasizing the vulnerability of tons of systems to this exploit than to attach ransomware to it. Looking forward to seeing more analysis of how it was initially launched and what the purpose was. Getting 28 people to send 300$ worth of bitcoin to the perpetrators seems ridiculously undervalued for the scope and breadth of systems that were accessed by the DEEPBLUE exploit or whatever. Seems suspect that this was just some jackass spoiling the pot because they could.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Laranzu posted:

Or they wanted to weaponize it and deploy before everyone was fully aware of how vulnerable their networks are, or some other group took advantage of it. It seems like a lovely rush job considering how little thought went into their anti-forensic code.

Wouldn't that be something that could and probably was accomplished without the insane profile that ransomware entails? Seem to me that alot of people could have (or probably did) infect a whole slew of systems using this exploit, which have since been put on red-alert as a consequence of how ransom ware makes poo poo inoperable. Or I've watched hackers too many times.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

CommieGIR posted:

Even if he doesn't get impeached, his credibility is pretty much gone, whatever there was left of it.

That which is dead can never die

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Well if Geno fuckface is ready then what are we waiting for? This guy has dreams damnit! and you all just want to poo poo all over them

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Godholio posted:

Not really...tasers and pepper spray are the only possibilities, and they're always useful. She thought he was on PCP (she was right) and there are a bunch of cases where tasers (and pepper spray) are completely ineffective on such people. If I'm walking up on a guy who keeps putting his hands in his pockets, refusing to comply with any commands, and there's anything close to the size disparity as there was here, I'm probably going to reach for the option that's more likely to be effective in neutralizing the potential threat. Which is, ultimately, the goal.

gently caress yeah!!! Neutralize all drug users!!!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
You see, if you make a bunch of assumptions that someone is dangerous, and then define their actions by those assumptions, shooting an unarmed person is completely reasonable!

Sometimes these assumptions even turn out to be true! Well, some of them do. But what can be done :shrug:?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Dead Reckoning posted:

According to witnesses, the perpetrator was walking down the street, screaming, at 3AM, with a knife. Apparently the arresting officers said he was speaking, but his words didn't make sense. It sounds more like someone having a psychotic break than a premeditated hate crime.

alt-right retardation can sound alot like nonsense to people who are unfamiliar with it. Are there any particulars that make you think it was a psychotic break or is that just wishful thinking?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Dead Reckoning posted:

Again, that does not match with similar past events. Why would you commit a premeditated crime in front of multiple witnesses if you wanted to get away with it? Why would you lay your hopes on an insanity defense, hoping that a jury will "just" sentence you to indefinite incarceration in a mental institution without criminal culpability, when southern juries have already shown themselves willing to accept rather thin self defense claims?

Why would you attribute a member of the "alt-reich" with rational planning facilities? Why would you give someone that was a member of an online hate group the benefit of the doubt wrt knowing the prevailing standard for legal defenses? why would you ask such pointless questions?

Edit: "Hmmm, this nazi wasn't acting behaving rationally? What was realllly going on here?"

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 22, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Dead Reckoning posted:

Believing irrational things doesn't make people irrational actors. "That Pope Francis, total nut job, thinks he was picked by God to be in charge of the church, no idea what he'll do next." I get that y'all really want this to be about Internet racists killing an upstanding young man, but I'm pretty sure you're going to have to settle for Bowlcut McDipshit getting a needle in his arm some time later this decade.

Believing irrational things does make people behave irrationally with regards to those beliefs. I don't give a poo poo one way or the other, I'm just wondering what led to your (seemingly iron-clad) assumption that this was a case of mental illness as opposed to racial malice. Sure, sans context, someone behaving the way this shithead behaved could suggest they had a mental break. Knowing that they were an active member of an online hate group certainly muddies the waters to the point that I wouldn't feel quite as comfortable making the assumptions and judgements that you seem willing to.

Victor Vermis posted:

While you rally against the boogeyman of fascism, the corporate oligarchy lures you deeper into the beige-white interior of your own bourgeoisie pipe dreams.

Secure and immobile, there they will pour honey down your throat until you split at the seams and explode. A potbellied piņata full of superficial pride and chinese-made trinkets, the sound of your dignity whistling up and out of you like the howls of the first union men, chained to their own creations, flesh rending over pavement in the blazing red taillights of the American Dream.

Here now witness freedom's reproductive system. Milky white larvae burst forth and freefall from your honey-crusted remains to feast upon what pools below. The sum of your existence: cum, blood, and poo poo, congealing into the next generation of retarded wage-slaves. CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP.

I'm actually vegan sooo....

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
It's gonna be pretty funny when Montanans elect a jail bird

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Have you guys hoping the GOP tank healthcare ever been around poor sick people? Cuz they'll def die. Like alot of people. Millions even.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Well I don't want them dead because their tax dollars and the tax dollars of their Lord's pay my goddman welfare!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Dead Reckoning posted:

America is a violent and brutal nation. Always has been. Most of our founding fathers literally owned other humans, and were not unfamiliar with killing. Aaron Burr was the sitting Vice President when he killed Alexander Hamilton. Andrew Jackson liked nothing more than to step outside, and had killed a man in a duel before he became our 7th President. He then went on to ignore the Supreme Court and instigate something that we still refer to, not inaccurately, as "The Trail of Tears." Preston Brooks' constituents re-elected him after he beat Senator Charles Sumner unconscious with a cane, leaving wounds that required three years of recuperation. (He was aided and abetted by Laurence Keitt, who brandished a pistol in the Senate chambers to keep onlookers from coming to Sumner's aid, and Henry Edmundson, who had previously been arrested by the Sergeant at Arms for assaulting another Senator.)

We might try to he better than our bloody legacy, but it is always there, below the surface.

What's your point? You go back 80ish years in Japanese politics and they were beheading captured American soldiers. I don't see them returning to that. 50 years ago people were marching for equal rights in the south. Around the same time a sitting president decided to rescind the presidency rather than face impeachment.

If you have to reach back over a century to draw parallels to today, it might be because the actions of the present are indefnisble

Edit: Cain killed Abel, and maybe we'll never get past that as a society? Who can say....

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Godholio posted:

The point is that we never stopped.

I don't think generalizing those events onto the entirety of the united States is particularly representative or anything. Are turfwars between gangs in Illinois and California a sign that the country never developed past violent factionism?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Dead Reckoning posted:

Perhaps, instead of thinking of our current detente as a natural evolution, you should consider it an anomaly, and that our political struggles being coupled with physical violence is actually the normal state of affairs. Like peace in Europe, it's worth working towards, but it isn't how things have been for most of history, or are guaranteed to be in the future.

Hand wringing about how our democracy can exist when our elected officials are committing violence is odd, since that's how we rolled for a few hundred years.

If you got punched in the face every day for a couple years would you also think complaining about that would be odd? People have taken issue with this kind of behavior since day 1. The caning of Charles Sumner is a pretty prime example of this. I dunno why you would bring up an incredibly contriversal act of violence in the era just prior to civil war as some type of status quo. It literally preceded the most significant upheaval of American society since its inception

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Dead Reckoning posted:

You might be in for a surprise. Press found his Facebook, which, uh, sure is something.

Yeah, this sounds like a guy with a coherent, conservative, Christian, pro-Trump political philosophy:

Is there literally anyone who isn't a multi-millionaire who has a coherent, conservative, pro-Trump political philosophy? His whole approach to governing is FYGM.

If I kill someone while drunk, is alcohol to blame? No, but it certainly would seem that in most cases that it was an aggravating factor. By my estimation being crazy while dangerous rhetoric is being normalized is more problematic than being crazy in the absence of that rhetoric.

• Locked thread