Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Also, don't underestimate how much the Freedom Caucus plays into the current situation vs. past unified governments.

The FC is essentially a separate entity that caucuses with the Republicans and the reason Ryan (and Boehner before him) can't get anything done is due to this split within the Republican party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Two Finger posted:

I'm sickened by people cheering for removing something that helps so many people

BUT FREEDOM

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/861602983422898177

I figured the stuff about the queen was true, being German and all that, but didn't see the Clinton's as cannibals

Side note: what is some people's hang ups about the British Royal Family? Like, I just don't get it. Lizard people? Really?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Oh my god

Trump won't go out for illegal or nefarious acts. He's going to go out the same way he got in: incompetence and stupidity.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Spicey is for sure about to make the Simpsons writers right again.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Office Pig posted:

Stop entertaining thoughts like this. The GOP have made their bed, and now they are going to lie in it.

But here's the thing: so long as Republicans feel that they can survive while sticking with/ignoring Trump, they will. They'll passively sit back while Trump does one outrageous thing after another.

It's a simple calculus. If a possible voter backlash against Republicans in general is less likely than the certain backlash they'd face if they impeach their own president, they'll stick with Trump every time.

And given that he just fired the head of the FBI (the guy in charge of the investigation into his possible collusion with Russia to swing an election), I don't know what, if anything, Trump could do that could push Republicans any further. So we're going to have to wait until 2018 at least to see if a general backlash is possible. Which also means we're in for at least another year and a half of Trump doing real harm to Americans and Republicans folding to Trump's bullshit.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, Trump has yet to flout a co-equal branch of government in a truly serious way. Saying "SEE YOU IN COURT" to a judge doesn't count, especially as he withdrew his first immigration order shortly thereafter.

But also, there's an order of magnitude of difference between lying about having an affair and colluding with a foreign adversary to throw an election. One may or may not meet the misdemeanors clarification in the Constitution. The other would pretty seriously land in the "High Crimes" part (cause it's like, pretty much capital-T Treason).

Edit: While Republicans may have had Clinton on lying/purjury, the underlying issue was an affair. Republicans really did overstep and Ken Starr really did seem to over-pursue his mandate to investigate the President. The Clinton team just played that up to the nines.

I don't think Trump could do the same. There's certainly a partisan aspect to the calls for an investigation but the underlying issue is teaming up with motherfucking Russia to get him elected President. There's no comparison as to the seriousness of the charge. And that's setting aside the fact that Trump is lying/possibly perjuring himself on a daily basis. Where's the outrage from Republicans now? gently caress them.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 10, 2017

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

If true and Trump and Pence both get impeached, then we get President Ryan.

Edit: gently caress

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Time has a new article/interview up on Trump that took place a day before the Comey firing. It's quite something to try to wrap your head around his worldview.

http://time.com/donald-trump-after-hours/?xid=time_socialflow_twitter

He's giving reporters tours of the White House like they've never ever been given a tour before.

He's obsessed with victories and being proven right (in any way that can happen) and totally dismissive of anything negative. He's spins his own reality to match his worldview.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

Time has a new article/interview up on Trump that took place a day before the Comey firing. It's quite something to try to wrap your head around his worldview.

http://time.com/donald-trump-after-hours/?xid=time_socialflow_twitter

He's giving reporters tours of the White House like they've never ever been given a tour before.

He's obsessed with victories and being proven right (in any way that can happen) and totally dismissive of anything negative. He's spins his own reality to match his worldview.

I don't mean to quote myself but I forgot some other choice passages. Like how Trump needs to be better than everyone in his presence, including at dinner:

quote:

The waiters know well Trump’s personal preferences. As he settles down, they bring him a Diet Coke, while the rest of us are served water, with the Vice President sitting at one end of the table. With the salad course, Trump is served what appears to be Thousand Island dressing instead of the creamy vinaigrette for his guests. When the chicken arrives, he is the only one given an extra dish of sauce. At the dessert course, he gets two scoops of vanilla ice cream with his chocolate cream pie, instead of the single scoop for everyone else.

Oh and Pence gets a fruit plate instead of pie. Weirdo.

And then, Trump brings up, on his own, that he's selling arms to an African strongman with a history of human rights abuses

quote:

He even brings up his efforts to ensure that an African leader, from a country he declines to name, can buy American military equipment despite decades-old human rights concerns.

Remember that time Merkel came to the White House and he was a big baby and wouldn't shake her hand?

quote:

He brags about the close relationships he believes he has formed with foreign leaders, complimenting Germany’s Chancellor Angela Merkel on inviting his daughter Ivanka to speak overseas.

And he got too bothered by all the requesting coming at all hours.

quote:

He even runs through the many ways he has revised the rules of engagement in the war on the Islamic State. “They keep coming to me, at weird times too,” he says of requests for approval for drone strikes and Special Forces raids in his earliest days in office.

This loving guy.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
What's the outside chance of Pence meeting with the Cabinet and Hill Republicans to invoke the 25th and remove Donnie from office? Just cut Trump himself out, say mission accomplished, and try to walk away from the Russian stuff?

I can get the optics but Pence isn't an idiot. He's got to be looking at every angle. He doesn't seem the type to just go down with the ship with The Donald.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

facialimpediment posted:

Anyways, the whole White House recording thing is a no-answer for three reasons. 1) Trump tower employees were constantly suspicious that their higher-ups were bugging them for years. 2) Omarosa yelled at reporters once about how they have recordings of reporters' phone calls. 3) Donnie is convinced that the wiretapp thing is real.

Maybe Donnie's convinced the wiretapping is real because he's wiretapped all his own stuff and everybody, come on - EVERYBODY, wiretaps all their own stuff. Many people say that's the thing to do. The best thing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I'm more willing to chalk up the White House's noncommittal response to simply being unable to keep up with all the claims Trump makes on a daily basis.

Trump isn't sharing poo poo with anyone so who the gently caress knows?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Until Ryan and McConnell walk to the White House and say they no longer support Trump's Presidency, nothing will happen.

Also, I love that Trump (fake or real) threatened Comey with tapes and Comey went all "Come at me bro!" with actual no poo poo memos and notes.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
His name was Robert Paulson Seth Rich.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Two Finger posted:

get hosed donnie

Not empty quoting.

Fake edit: So Trump has a foreign trip coming up next week. It'd be funny if Paul Manafort worked for two guys who both fled their home countries as their political fortunes fell apart.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Theres no way Trump resigns. It'd be the ultimate embarrassment/defeat/submission. His world is entirely about domination, his ego would never stand for it.

Nixon, the poster child for grievance and paranoia, had at least enough sense of duty to allow for resignation.

Trump has no sense of duty.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Genocide Tendency posted:

Both of you are missing something important. Trump has likely committed crimes. Crimes that he would go to jail for a very long time for. So.....

If they can get him on anything impeachable, the reds will cut him the same deal Nixon got. Quit, keep pension/benefits, and get pardoned. Or go to prison. For a very long time and lose everything.

I'm saying Trump's ego won't let him resign, even with any deal.

Then again, I could see him spinning reality itself to say something like "I never wanted this job anyway. I'm going to lead from the sidelines as the wealthy billionaire that I am. The swamp will be drained from the outside. I resign."

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Good.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Woof Blitzer posted:

Ailes was never alive in the first place.

Sexual assault sustained him well past his natural death.

He succumbed to old age as quickly as Bilbo did when he gave up The One Ring.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

facialimpediment posted:

Not that news, but holy gently caress Donnie is talking to a subject of an FBI Investigation, Flynn.

https://twitter.com/Isikoff/status/865220645046681601

Jesus gently caress

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
According to some older articles regarding Hilary's IT guy that was found to be in Contempt of Congress, people found in that status can be fined ($100-$1000) or imprisoned (1-12 months).

But it's this whole process.

The relevant committee has to adopt a resolution and send it to the House floor. The whole House has to approve it (by simple majority) to officially find a person in Contempt of Congress.

Then Congress has two choices:
1) The House may instruct its sergeant-at-arms to arrest the individual and bring them before the House presiding officer (usually the Speaker of the House, Paul Ryan). The individual could be held in the Capitol jail, but this practice has not been used for more than 80-years.

2), The Speaker to refer the matter to U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia for criminal contempt proceedings. The law then requires the U.S. Attorney to empanel a grand jury to consider indictments for criminal contempt.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Remember how crazy it felt when McCain picked Palin for VP?

It's like that but everyday now guys. Like....gently caress.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The FCC chair is the clearest example of what Trump is doing to our political institutions.

There's not even a hint of reaching out to the other side or consideration of other viewpoints. Net Neutrality is a waste and drat everything that disagrees with me. Within the first week, he was moving ahead and in the most smug and dishonest way possible.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
:stonk:

That quote.

quote:

“I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Mr. Trump said, according to the document, which was read to The New York Times by an American official. “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.”

Mr. Trump added, “I’m not under investigation.”

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

:perfect:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

He's a good pope. Much better than that hitler youth trash pope.

I prefer to think of him as Emperor Pope.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
They really don't want to nominate the acting FBI director, huh?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
But the rub there is Trump is looking for a more political, non-independent pick rather than a conventional FBI Director.

Which should scare the poo poo out of everyone (and it apparently does, given the lack of willing candidates) and should tell the Trump administration to give up on their current path (yeah right).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

He literally knows nothing about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Federal Rules of Evidence, Rule 803: Exceptions to the Rule Against Hearsay

Section 6 posted:

(6) Records of a Regularly Conducted Activity. A record of an act, event, condition, opinion, or diagnosis if:

(A) the record was made at or near the time by — or from information transmitted by — someone with knowledge;

(B) the record was kept in the course of a regularly conducted activity of a business, organization, occupation, or calling, whether or not for profit;

(C) making the record was a regular practice of that activity;

(D) all these conditions are shown by the testimony of the custodian or another qualified witness, or by a certification that complies with Rule 902(11) or (12) or with a statute permitting certification; and

(E) neither the opponent does not show that the source of information nor or the method or circumstances of preparation indicate a lack of trustworthiness.

So A) Comey presumably has a system of dating his memos/records, B) is the FBI Director so memos/records are expected/normal , C) he regularly kept recording memos as FBI Director, D) Comey's aides, subordinates, etc can vouch for A, B, and C, and E) he's James loving Comey, former FBI Director, whose trustworthiness is beyond question.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 31, 2017

• Locked thread