Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Enlistment standards starting to get pretty low:

quote:

A prominent militant who fought with Russian-backed separatists in Ukraine and participated in far-right European politics recently completed U.S. Army training and is serving in an American infantry division in Hawaii, according to Army and other records.

Guillaume Cuvelier, 29, shipped for basic training in January and graduated as an infantryman at Fort Benning, Ga., the records show. In a short exchange with The Washington Post, Cuvelier confirmed that he was actively serving in the U.S. Army.

With his well-documented history of espousing extreme right-wing views and his role in an armed group backed by a U.S. adversary, Cuvelier’s ability to join the Army raises questions about the recruitment process and whether applicants are thoroughly screened before they are able to enlist.

Born and raised in France as a dual French and American citizen, Cuvelier spent his formative years alongside French ultranationalists before picking up a Kalashnikov in eastern Ukraine in 2014, according to social media posts, a documentary in which he was featured, and accounts from people who knew him. A year later he fought with the Kurdish peshmerga in northern Iraq before coming back to the United States.

Following inquiries by The Post, the military has “begun an inquiry to ensure the process used to enlist this individual followed all of the required standards and procedures,” said Kelli Bland, a spokesman for the U.S. Army’s recruiting command, in an email.

In Ukraine, Cuvelier, also known as Lenormand, fought for the Russian-backed Donetsk People’s Republic, the breakaway state subject to U.S. government sanctions and labeled terrorist by the U.S.-allied government in Kiev. Cuvelier’s service with the group appears to be in direct violation of a March 2014 executive order that was applied to the republic that June. The order prohibits U.S. citizens from assisting by way of “funds, goods or services,” any of the sanctioned entities covered by the order, opening up Cuvelier to possible federal prosecution.
[...]
“The [U.S.] army is my only chance of moving on and cutting with my past,” Cuvelier said in a text message. “I realized I like this country, its way of life and its Constitution enough to defend it.”
“By publishing a story on me, you are jeopardizing my career and rendering a great service to anyone trying to embarrass the Army. My former Russian comrades would love it. … so, I please ask you to reconsider using my name and/or photo.”
( :qqsay: )
[...]
Upon arriving in Ukraine in the middle of 2014, Cuvelier helped start a French-Serbian foreign fighter unit called the “Unité Continentale.” The group’s manifesto on its Facebook page states that NATO is “a terrorist military alliance” and that France is “a slave of the American Empire.” The group’s views are based on an ideology called “continentalism” espoused by the anti-Western Russian political scientist, Alexander Dugin. The group’s page also has multiple posts from July and August 2014 that solicited donations directly to Cuvelier’s bank account in France.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.d01a770123bf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Brexit keeps on providing the Brits with Trumpian levels of winning, month after month:

quote:

The future of Britain’s power supply has been jeopardised by Brexit and the government must act urgently to ensure nuclear power stations stay open, MPs have warned.

The influential Commons business, energy and industrial strategy committee said that any gap between the UK leaving a European atomic power treaty and entering into secure alternative deals would “severely inhibit nuclear trade and research and threaten power supplies”.
The cross-party group of MPs said it shared the nuclear industry’s concern that it would take more than two years to hammer out a new deal for regulating nuclear power stations and trade. It urged the government to delay exit from the European Atomic Energy Community (Euratom) or set up transitional arrangements, which may need to be longer than the three years proposed by the European parliament.

In a stark warning, Iain Wright, the committee’s chair, said: “The impact of Brexit on Euratom has not been thought through. The government has failed to consider the potentially severe ramifications of its Brexit objectives for the nuclear industry. Ministers must act as urgently as possible. The repercussions of failing to do so are huge. The continued operations of the UK nuclear industry are at risk.”

The committee’s report echoed a warning from nuclear energy lawyers that leaving Euratom without a new deal would see the trade in nuclear fuel grind to a halt and could ultimately force Britain’s reactors to switch off. A former government adviser had told the committee that the UK nuclear industry would be “crippled” if new nuclear cooperation deals are not agreed within two years. The Euratom treaty promotes uniform safety standards, cooperation and research into nuclear power.

:discourse:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/may/02/britains-energy-supply-is-in-jeopardy-after-brexit-warn-mps

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

I once almost loaded a 120mm mortar with the mortar shell's fuse facing downwards. I wonder if that would've been me had I not noticed my gently caress up in time :v: .

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 3, 2017

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

I don't know much about mortars, but I'm pretty sure they aren't straight contact fuzes anymore.

I think the fuzes can only be armed by actually firing them, so the only real danger would've probably been something closer to this:

It was a definite "Oh poo poo"-moment, though.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

Oh yeah, the moron gun det commander I had who tried unloading a 105 round using a cam-pole because he was too lazy to unpack the unloader didn't really run the risk of detonating the round by smashing a piece of wood against the fuze tip...he was just loving stupid as gently caress.

It never ceases to amaze me that the world's militaries actually manage to field units that aren't decimated on a daily basis by incompetence related mishaps.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Pesticide20 posted:

Remove the grass, replace with rocks, have privates paint the rocks green, keep calling the rocks grass, have privates mow the grass weekly.

Hire a contractor who will eventually go massively over budget to install high tech thermal/acoustic sensors to detect if anyone is on the "grass".

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
https://twitter.com/KThomasDC/status/860164411331399680

Let's loving party like it's 2007.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
rip in piss healthcare

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/860196819686629376

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 4, 2017

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/860198958391480320

da Share z0ne come through once again

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Realtalk: Feeling pretty bad for you guys, hopefully this thing dies or is at least watered down significantly in the Senate :smith:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
At this point, I wouldn't be suprised at all if the US sees an uptick in political violence if this poo poo passes.

Someone at some point is going to crack, be it a parent who loses their kid or someone who loses their spouse to this repeal. But it's going to happen.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Ceiling fan posted:

I'm reading between the lines, and from the fact that he's defending himself with articles from some site called christianfighterpilot.com. It seems like he is such a raging rear end in a top hat no one wants to work with him. Which is a real achievement these days.

That sounds like the most insufferable website in existence.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
At this point, the West should just go nuclear and cut Russia from SWIFT. gently caress Russia, it's a garbage country governed by garbage people.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

suboptimal posted:

Edit: Removed. Here's a picture of a nice bear instead.

Why stop at one bear, when you can have BEAR FORCE ONE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSUW-Z_Cnc0

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Might as well start actually using that much vaunted American ~cyber arsenal~, and mess up critical power plants around Moscow/St. Petersburg during the winter.

When asked about responsibility, just give the same "aww shucks, what a mystery ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"-response the Russians have been giving.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/861197871206592514

Ahahahah what a bunch of pissbabies

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

SHH don't tell the Russians!!

Also, it's kind of hilarious that their response to a single AEGIS cruisier is to mobilize the Baltic Fleet. Kinda sends the wrong message if one single ship causes an entire fleet to poo poo it's pants for propaganda.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

It's okay. Russian ships come pre-hit. No need to waste precious ordinance; they're already on fire.

That's Kuznetsov's engine room. No, really.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

facialimpediment posted:

Edit: The Macron campaign may have deliberately let themselves get phished in certain circumstances, just to place false information, per the Daily Beast. Good poo poo.

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/861064174914457600

I want this to be the case so bad :lol:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Russian media seems to be taking Le Pen's loss well:

quote:

Emmanuel Macron labelled 'a gay psychopath who hates France' in Russian media

An article in Komsomolskaya Pravda says France deserves to go through 'globalist hell'

Russian media has described the new President of France, Emmanuel Macron, as a gay psychopath who hates his country.

An article in Komsomolskaya Pravda, a Russian tabloid newspaper, refers to a picture of a topless Mr Macron as he poses for a magazine with the title “coming out”.

The piece then later goes on to call Mr Macron a psychopath and suggest that he does not love France and instead only loves himself.
The piece also goes on to say that the word psychopath is not an insult and adds that the French deserve Mr Macron.

“They, [the French], have to go through globalist hell. They do not deserve democracy, paid for the lives of millions of Soviet soldiers,” it says.

This is not the first time Russian media has chosen to attack Mr Macron and question his sexuality.

Sputnik, a Russian government-controlled news agency, previously claimed Mr Macron was “secretly gay and living a ‘double life' while backed by a “very wealthy gay lobby.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...e-a7723531.html

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

quote:

“We will have a doctrine of retaliation when it comes to Russian cyberattacks or any other kind of attacks,” Macron’s official foreign policy adviser Aurélien Lechevallier told me. “This means we are ready to retaliate against cyberattacks — not only in kind but also with any other conventional measure or security tool.”

A personal friend of the newly elected president since their university days at L’Ecole Nationale D’Administration, Lechevallier is a former diplomatic adviser to the mayor of Paris and a former cultural attaché in Beirut.

Macron’s centrist En Marche campaign believes it was the victim of a sustained Russian digital propaganda campaign, intended to spread fake news and smear Macron as a sexual deviant and the tool of an oligarchic “Rothschild” plot (in a reference to his spell as a banker at Rothschild in Paris). This culminated in a gigantic hack of En Marche, with documents dumped online only hours before France’s formal electoral media blackout began, which campaign staff said carried Moscow’s electronic fingerprints.

“Cyberhacks and info-ops would make you take a very dim view of the person governing Russia, even if you had no prejudices before you started campaigning,” said François Heisbourg, chairman of the council of the International Institute for Strategic Studies, who has been advising Macron on defense and security.

The candidate himself had no hard views on the Kremlin, Macron’s closest foreign policy advisers told me at the beginning of the campaign — a view echoed by Heisbourg. “To my understanding, he didn’t have any particularly strong feelings on foreign affairs in general,” Heisbourg said. “He hadn’t made any particular statements on China or on Russia. He hadn’t identified himself as being from a values-based or a realpolitik school. He came with a low base of knowledge and no biases.”
“The Russian attacks have backfired,” said Bruno Tertrais, deputy director of La Fondation Pour La Recherche Politique, who has been closely involved in both Macron’s foreign policy and defense expert group. “They have hardened him … and they have hardened his views on Russia.”

Way to go, Vlad :bravo:

http://www.politico.eu/article/emmanuel-macrons-foreign-policy-doctrines/

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
THE BUCK STOPS AT THE PREVIOUS GUY

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Arc Light posted:

Obama you rat!

Ah gently caress, I can't believe you've done this.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

ded posted:

he just got it wrong it was the GOP all along

Also he was a few decades off

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
I almost want to look up a stream to watch this, but I feel like I would just throw my monitor out of the window in frustration.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

It gets really bad everytime you see (R), as usual

Yeah, Politico just tweeted a video of Kennedy's incoherent and patronizing ramblings, and I think that's enough for me.

I also now understand this tweet perfectly:

https://twitter.com/ZeddRebel/status/861681930059829257

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Oh hey, look who found his way to the White House press corps:

https://twitter.com/juliaioffe/status/862005017280217089

The totally-working-with-the-GRU-pinky-swear Macron "leaker"!

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Well, that was a fun piece of news to wake up to :stare: .

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised anymore if the Trump admin went all out Erdogan, and started purging everyone.

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 10, 2017

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
So, what are the odds of the next FBI director dropping all investigations into Trump & Russia, or maybe even start investigating/prosecuting Hillary?

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
In non-Trump related news, :toot: :

quote:

Sweden touts 'strategic depth' concept with Finland

The Swedish Air Force (SwAF) has drawn up a concept of 'strategic depth' that would enable Finland to use its bases should that country have to withdraw its forces in the face of an invasion by Russia.

Briefed to reporters in Stockholm on 8 May, the concept is part of a wider bilateral defence cooperation initiative that has been created under the auspices of the newly formed Nordic Defence Cooperation (NORDEFCO) organisation.

"As a small country allied cooperation is vital to us, that's for sure, so we are working very hard to keep the level of cooperation as high as possible and with as many as possible, including with the UN, the EU, and NATO," Colonel Magnus Liljegren from the SwAF headquarters said, adding, "The other organisation is NORDEFCO with the other Nordic countries, and we have been working with this for a couple of years."

As noted by Col Liljegren, Sweden's chief effort within NORDEFCO is in enhancing cooperation its neighbour, Finland. "The focus for us is in enhancing cooperation with Finland, and this is up to the highest levels [of the Swedish government]. Finland is absolutely our top priority partner right now. We have a lot in common, but we also have to bear in mind that Finland is in a different position to us geographically with a border [with Russia] and historically [having fought against Russia]. Finland is a partner that we think can give us a lot, and they are looking to us in order to increase their operational depth. If they need to withdraw they can move into our country and use our bases, so the more we can work together in a flexible way the better it is," the colonel said.

Examples where cooperation between Sweden and Finland have already increased defence cooperation include the field of secure communications; the use of alternate landing bases in each other's country, and with each flying in the other's airspace on a daily basis; air surveillance cooperation; and also with operational planning.

Fantastic news for pretty much everyone except Russia :sweden: :hf: :finland:.

http://www.janes.com/article/70187/sweden-touts-strategic-depth-concept-with-finland

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
I wonder which household animal she tortured.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

What a bunch of amaterus, what did they expect to happen?

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
https://twitter.com/AmbassadorRice/status/862655185985863680

This whole thing is just next level :discourse:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Feel good mugshot of the day:

quote:

A man was caught on video delivering a long anti-Muslim tirade against a family vacationing last week on a Texas beach, repeatedly screaming at them about sharia law, ISIS, and Donald Trump.

Fourteen members of the family were on weeklong reunion in South Padre Island when the man, who was identified in a police report obtained by BuzzFeed News as Alexander Downing, of Waterford, Connecticut, approached them.

"You're a loving Muslim, motherfucker," the man says at one point in front of the family, which included children playing on the beach just feet away. "You will never ever, ever stop me, my Christianity," the man says, "from rising above your sharia law. Your sharia law don't mean poo poo to me."
The family, who kept their composure in the five-minute video, at one point called the police after Downing left for the nearby South Padre Pearl Hotel and returned.

"Guess what? ISIS don't mean poo poo to me, motherfuckers," Downing says again in the video, as he circles back towards the group, shouting in the face of another man.

"Donald Trump will stop you. Donald Trump will stop you! Donald Trump got you motherfuckers. Watch... watch."

He then proceeds to grab his crotch, in front of children, telling the group to "suck my dick."
"My country is the greatest country in the world," Downing screams. He then begins to thump his chest repeatedly with his fists, while shouting, "Come gently caress with Donald Trump. That's my motherfucking president!"
BuzzFeed News contacted South Padre Island Police Department and confirmed Downing's May 2 arrest. The incident report states that he was arrested for public intoxication and the responding officer "determined that he was intoxicated in a public place and was a danger to himself and others."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/talalansari/guy-yells-muslim-slurs-at-a-vacationing-family?utm_term=.fuEb4De1jM#.trvgYAVjZ3

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
https://twitter.com/moiseschiu/status/862712404987269121

I can't deal with this planet anymore holy poo poo

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Any idea what this is in connection to?

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

https://twitter.com/TrueFactsStated/status/862727759927234560

hgnnnnh

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Two Finger posted:

So is this stuff about the FBI searching places in Virginia true or not

At least the raid in Annapolis was confirmed by the FBI to be legit, rest are a ~mystery~.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
https://twitter.com/jemillerwbal/status/862728237960622081

Following this poo poo is so addictive, and terrible for my sleeping schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Here's a hypothetical: what happens if both Trump & Pence get impeached, and thrown out of office? Does Paul Ryan serve out as the acting prez for the remaining years of Trump's presidency, or will there be new elections ASAP?

• Locked thread