Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Handsome Ralph posted:

Well that's at least one GOP Senator that's shown a little bit of spine.
https://twitter.com/SenatorBurr/status/862092007707209730

See if it lasts.

Oh and the rumor is that the grand jury subpoenas were dropped at the same time as the letter was being delivered to the FBI by Trump's man.

:stare:

Go loving Comey. Hell yes.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9mhsW5aWJM

windshipper fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Especially given the corruption of his own boss, Jeff Sessions, who as a part of this investigation is under investigation.

You don't really think that anyone believed he'd truly recuse himself, do you?

Edit: GOD my hate boner is HUGE right now. :flashfap:

I cannot wait for the next few days/weeks. Not because I think anything will happen, but because I want to see what happens when NOTHING happens.

If I'm proven wrong and poo poo does happen? All the better!

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

if hes screaming at tvs it's gonna come time that he says gently caress it all and takes his toys and goes home. once the gop is forced to turn against him. not because he lost, but because the crooked GOP was so tainted that they rejected the will of the people who are both the people that are the only real americans and his voters.

pence takes office, does his best gerald ford impression for 3 years. flynn goes to prison. trump pisstape never revealed.

Don't give me this, please, don't give me this.

I want this poo poo aired out to the entire world to see. I want the entire country to see and know what they have begotten. And from there, I want political change in both parties.

No, I have absolutely ZERO expectation or hope of this happening. But it's what should happen.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

I really want a brief case of Orange-pox to be democracy's immunization against the real bad stuff.

It really needs to be public, for us and the world. Get it out of our system

Absolutely. The entire country needs to see what the Republican Party has wrought, and what we ourselves have wrought through lovely political tactics.

Not to start a whole, "This is why Hillary lost," thing, but... it wasn't just the selling out of our country to Russia. We have ignored a huge segment of our population that, for one reason or another, he spoke to. You can't just campaign in certain areas and expect a win. You have to speak to the whole goddamn country and tell them - and do - things for them that help them.

Messaging - it's also why the ACA was raged against. Not just because it was a Black Democrat, but people seriously thought the ACA and Obamacare were different things. As stupid as those people may be, those people also vote.

On top of that, people need to take what happens from here, and make their politicians pay for it. The ones who are defending this, as obvious as this is as a Big Deal, and trying to downplay it... they need to pay.

Again, I expect little of this to come to pass... But it goddamn well should.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, that Claude Taylor dude is now in the Louise Mensch zone. Pretty sure no other search warrants were executed today, and the one that did get executed might have been about something else entirely. So that whole tweet chain about the FBI and U.S. Marshals getting ready to roll out is bullshit, because I'm pretty sure they would have rolled out by now.

lol nothing matters.

Don't particularly care, because my hate boner is already engorged and massive after the rest of today. That raid does a LOT, and means a lot when it comes to the extent of this. It implicates a whole ton of other people - not just those that we have been suspecting here for a long time.

Think back to Nunez and his whole spiel about him having information on trump being surveilled, and then look at this raid.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

For your normal, every day Joe, what would you recommend doing to prevent this sort of thing happening to them? Beyond the standard, "Don't click funny links in weird emails, don't visit weird websites, etc"?

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Yeah, I have Chrome with uBlock Origin and use PIA when I can (if I'm honest, sometimes it slows my internet down.... and I'm lazy and impatient). Always use PIA when at work, however.

The emails/weird websites thing, while yeah, common sense, is something I always avoid, and with gmail I don't have to worry about as much.

I will definitely be checking on the router settings, however, as that does sound handy and something I couldn't confirm offhand one way or another.

Thank you!

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

This whole thing is fishy as gently caress. Phone posting, so no transcript, but will when I get to my computer.

If I remember right, this is the investigation that Preet Bhara (sp?) was working on- Russian money laundering on US soil- when he was fired.

Settled for $3M (the cost of trying the case) when they were looking for $20M in damages, no wrong doing admitted by anyone, and the guy in Russia who discovered it wakes up dead in prison.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/russia/idUSKBN18904I

welp posted:

A Russian-owned group of companies has agreed to pay nearly $6 million to settle U.S. civil allegations that the firms laundered proceeds of a $230 million tax fraud, ending a politically charged case days before it was set to go to trial.

Federal prosecutors in New York announced late Friday the surprise settlement between the U.S. government and Russian businessman Denis Katsyv, the owner of Prevezon Holdings, as both sides were preparing to bring the three-year case to trial next week.

“We will not allow the U.S. financial system to be used to launder the proceeds of crimes committed anywhere – here in the U.S., in Russia, or anywhere else," Acting Manhattan U.S. Attorney Joon H. Kim said in a statement.

The settlement comes after Prevezon was hit with key setbacks last week: U.S. District Judge William Pauley denied a summary judgment motion by the defense and granted a government motion to admit evidence from a Russian criminal case.

In a statement Prevezon portrayed the settlement as a victory, saying that the deal was struck without it admitting guilt and that the payment represented less than three percent the amount initially sought by the U.S. government.

"It's almost an admission that they shouldn't have brought the case," Katsyv's attorney, Faith Gay of Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan LLP, told Reuters. "The settlement is the amount it would have cost to try the case."

U.S. authorities had sought to seize more than $20 million in Manhattan condos and bank accounts from Prevezon and related companies prosecutors had claimed were used to launder money stolen by corrupt Russian tax officials. Under the settlement, none of the companies admitted wrongdoing.

The settlement brings an end to a case that raised many of the elements of distrust between Moscow and Washington, such as economic sanctions and allegations of political corruption.

U.S. authorities said the elaborate tax fraud and money laundering allegations were first uncovered by Sergei Magnitsky, Russian accountant for investment firm Hermitage Capital.

After accusing Russian officials of the $230 million tax fraud, he was arrested on tax evasion charges and died in prison a year later, prosecutors said.

The Kremlin's human rights council found that Magnitsky likely died from a beating delivered by guards and medical neglect. Russian authorities have said Magnitsky death was caused by heart failure, not foul play.

In 2012, at the urging of Magnitsky's former employer, Hermitage Capital CEO William Browder, Washington passed a law freezing any U.S. assets of Russian investigators and prosecutors said to have been involved in the accountant's detention. In retaliation, Moscow barred Americans from adopting Russian children

In the settlement agreement, prosecutors stated that none of the defendants had a role in the death of Magnitsky.

Katsyv's attorney Gay said the current controversy over allegations of Russian meddling in U.S. elections had likely motivated both sides to settle before trial. "It's such a heated political environment right now," she said. "I'm sure that was a factor."

Some big notes - They agreed to settle AFTER the judge had allowed the US prosecutors to bring evidence from Russia into the case. The case was discovered in Russia, which means the US likely would have an overwhelming amount of evidence, in addition to what they already had.

However, the man who discovered all the issues IN Russia, was summarily arrested for tax fraud, jailed, and likely beaten to death.

Preet Bharara, the US Attorney fired by Trump, was the one leading this case initially. Shortly after he's fired, the US attorney agrees to a settlement that is more or less the cost of trying the case. Not even going after any assets, as was initially planned.

And the guy who initially noticed the wrong doing suddenly winds up dead in prison. Human rights council says he was beaten to death... Russian officials say it was just heart failure. Whoops!

I went back and confirmed, and yes, this is the same case that Preet was working at the time of his firing.

This is fishy as gently caress all over the place.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 14, 2017

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Technically, every human being who has ever died has died due to heart failure.

:ussr:

In Soviet Russia, you fail the heart. It does not fail you.

:ussr:

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

CMD598 posted:

That is retarded

Texas.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Elect me and I'll "ruin" our 'relationship' by calling out human rights abuses and supporting reasonable liberal governments. Also support the Kurds. Because gently caress turkey.

In a weird way, you could AAAALLLLLMOOOOOOOOSSSSST call this karma for stealing our state and military secrets and selling them to China... Except that never hurt our "relationship" with Israel, and this hurts our relationship with so many more countries than Israel.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Oh hell.

https://twitter.com/benjaminwittes/status/865292097259261952

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/865294083362836483

I'm not sure if this is about the confirmation that Rosenstein knew about the Comey firing before he wrote the memo or if there's something else coming. It's not the DANGER ZONE of news, 5pm-6pm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcXLhxxgaII

In honor of Chris Cornell and of all this trump poo poo.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 18, 2017

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Oven used up my free NYTimes articles for the month... can anyone quote? :saddowns:

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

FBI leaks going to Rudy. As soon as the FBI got Weiner's laptop the Trump people knew about it and the emails. Had Comey not said anything, Trump and/or Russia would have.

Wait, this part is new to me :stare:

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yes

its all about the past week nothing else

I hope they do that TSA segment though... :saddowns:

But yes, a very good show tonight. I don't think they delved as deep as they would have like. There are a lot more implications of Comey being fired and the stuff that has come out though.

Edit for baby killer status: Not a baby killer, tho.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 22, 2017

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Laranzu posted:

Would have loved a few lines about exactly how badly the administration hosed itself by trying to throw Rosenstein (the one dude in the justice department who could hurt them especially bad since the elf recused) under the bus, and how Mueller is one dude they don't want around.

That and the super well crafted appointment letter.

Oh definitely. But they're right in that there was so much to cover, it would take the whole show to cover it, even at the barest glance, and they did what they could. It's been a massive week, and I think they did a decent job given what they had, and that to most people they have to explain why it's important.

Anyways... still kinda wanna see that TSA piece because from what I know it's a shithole and needs massive reforms - but it's costing a lot for a lot of security theater.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

I also take issue with his comments on history, namely when he starts talking about the Persian Empire, and... It is a stretched metaphor.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Of this, too, shall come naught.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Well, our beloved Filipino friend here also just declared martial law in Southern Philipines

Edit: Not condemning him for declaring martial law in this case, mind you. Because poo poo is bad in that area.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

He's bombing his own goddamn cities because of like, a handful of whacks.

He deserves condemnation.

I should clarify this - I condemn Duterte and his very existence, and pretty much everything he has done in his presidency. I don't condemn him for calling for martial law. I condemn him bombing his own cities, I condemn the death squads, I condemn extrajudicial executions, etc...

Duterte absolutely deserves condemnation. But declaring martial law under this as a reason -

posted:

Duterte declared martial rule for 60 days in the entire southern Mindanao region, the restive third of the Philippine archipelago, Tuesday evening to try to crush Muslim extremists who have aligned themselves with the Islamic State group and occupied a hospital, jail and other buildings and battled troops in an audacious attack in Marawi City.

I'm not gonna argue. Bombing the whole cities, well, that's another issue. Anyways, I think we can both agree that an extrajudicial execution squad hitting him isn't necessarily the worst thing for the Philippines.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Mike-o posted:

Maine chat: my best friend and army buddy is from Maine. I'd love to move there to be able to hang out with him all the time. Just chill out doing Dad things together, hunting fishing shooting guns and drinking beer. Like no poo poo just going to his place makes me feel calm from all my sadbrains bullshit. Next time I'm out there I'm gonna twist his arm to go camping in the Allagash wilderness and go hike Mt Katahdin. Trying to figure out what I should take him to do when him and his wife come visit me in Washington this summer. Most definitely Rainier and St Helens.

Definitely an easier Hike than Rainier but Oyster Dome leaves you at the end, sitting on a loving high cliff, eating lunch, and more than once when I've been there, had Hawks and Eagles circling not even 100 feet away, just either straight out from me or just below me. Great view as well. Or try Mt. Pilchuck with them, but do that during a week day. Weekends Pilchuck is stupid busy.

Both are easier hikes, but both do payoff huge with great views.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Two Finger posted:

Yo saving this for later thanks man
I'll be back in the states next year so I'll hit it up

Last time my then girlfriend/now wife hiked Mt. Pilchuck, we picked blueberries on the way up and the way down. We made Blueberry cobbler when we got home with those wild blueberries.

For the record, both of these are hikes that are well north of Seattle.

If you hit up Oyster Dome, though, go to Boomer's afterwards for great burgers and hard ice cream milkshakes. Seriously, those milkshakes are the poo poo. It's maybe half an hour north of Oyster Dome's trailhead. So good.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 25, 2017

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Two Finger posted:

Yo are you from there? I might hit you up for ideas closer to the time

I live in Western Washington, grew up here, and live here. :)

Check out that Boomer's tip btw

Edit also: The best date my wife says we went on is when we hiked Oyster Dome, went to Boomers, and then skinny (...in underwear...) dipped in Lake Samish.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 25, 2017

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Two Finger posted:

Haha my bad I thought we were still talking about Maine

If I can make it to WA I will look those up but I'll be on a timeframe

Well, out definitely ducking should. Seattle and the area north of Seattle to the Canadian border are pretty awesome.

The cascades in general, really. Anyone should try to hike around Stehekin if they can.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Its on the run from the Japanese. Be careful, it may be armed and dangerous.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

I'm mad that I didn't know this existed until now.

Me too. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

More specifically, it's an FBI agents contemporaneous notes on conversations that are allowed into court.

Here, have a link of Merriam-Webster trolling Trump, with the NYT as a source.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/news-trend-watch/times-fbi-agents-contemporaneous-notes-are-evidence-20170516

• Locked thread