Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I'd probably throw Kessler out there rather than Brock. Brock should be an emergency QB unless he shows some shocking level of improvement in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Going by his rate stats Kessler is just the better quarterback and should win the job anyway if there's a competition.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I call Kessler Special K in Browns chats, stole that from you guys calling the old Bills RB Special K.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

It's La Canfora so of course it's the complete opposite of everyone saying Whaley was already cut out and McDermott ran the show.

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/859068199865905152

Yeah, many Bills reporters have come to Twitter to vocally dispute it.

https://twitter.com/viccarucci/status/859072716787396609

But THAT SAID, La Canfora was the only one who, I think, was ahead of the Whaley firing story. I'm guessing his source is someone from Whaley's camp?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I really recommend reading this week's MMQB. Most of you dislike King (for justified reasons) but he's at his best when he's doing actual journalism instead of opinion pieces.

Very revelatory to see that the 49ers draft team really doesn't know any better than our random goons. A lot of the things they were saying in there I'd seen said by goons in the draft threads over the weekend. They even believe in the stupid superstitious bullshit about Bill Walsh and Joe Montana paralleling this year's draft!!!

I mean look at this:

Is this the board of a team of highly intelligent and competent football geniuses who know exactly what they're doing?

I don't think this is limited to just the 49ers. I think this poo poo is way more common throughout the NFL than most of us think and that for the most part they're just pretending they know what they're doing.

quote:

“It was dead,” Lynch said. “No chance. I wasn’t interested. But I knew how Kyle [Shanahan] felt, so I figured I should at least talk to [Williams]. When I got in, I called him. When I got him on the phone, I said to him, ‘Joe, to be honest, I was done with you.’”

quote:

After a long time on the phone, Lynch had a radical change of mind.

“Screw it,” he said to himself Saturday morning. “I’m going to try to jump up and get this guy.”

quote:

“Sheer willpower,” Williams said. “I was running the ball for my sister, I was catching the ball for my sister.”

The laminated 49er ethos sheet didn’t account for Joe Williams. Lynch won’t know for years, most likely, if he made the right call on Williams or any of these players.

“What do you think Bill Walsh would say about your draft?” I wondered.

“I think he’d be incredibly proud,” Lynch said. “But the one thing I’ve learned through this process is there’s no perfect player.”

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I enjoy Peter King columns because he is so well connected that you get tons of entertaining quotes and anecdotes that no one else has, the 49ers draft room piece is really good

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Reminder: Jason La Canfora is a stupid piece of poo poo and not to be trusted.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah Peter King is a goober with some dumb opinions, but he is incredibly well-connected and his column often contains some pretty amazing nuggets.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Jason La Canfora posted:

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports "things are not great between" Bears GM Ryan Pace and coach John Fox, and the situation "reached a nadir" in Thursday night's decision to pay a ransom for Mitchell Trubisky at No. 2 overall.

"We don't know what the hell they were doing," said one NFL executive whose team is routinely in the postseason. "It's all anyone is talking about. It's really bad between Pace and Fox. ... From the first pick on, we can't figure out what they were doing. Go back and look at how many small-school kids they took. People around the league are shocked. It's really bad between Pace and Fox." La Canfora suggests the Bears are already eyeballing coaching candidates for the future, namely Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald. The in-fighting in Chicago could conceivably lead to Trubisky seeing the field long before he's ready.
Source: CBS Sports May 1 - 2:01 AM

Wow, helluva story. Might even be true!

No Butt Stuff posted:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/29/ryan-pace-report-that-john-fox-was-in-the-dark-is-so-false/

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The problem for Bears fans is that either your coach is mad at your GM for making a really stupid trade and draft selection, or your coach is in agreement with your GM about a really stupid trade and draft selection.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

According to the Chicago Tribune, though, the Bears actually asked Glennon to attend their draft party at Soldier Field and didn't tell him about their Trubisky plan, which just seems like 31 flavors of completely, utterly believable "lol bears."

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

La Canfora does get big scoops, though, (see the Whaley/scout team firing) so his reports will continue to get some play and he won't ever be dismissed outright. Football's Louise Mensch.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Chiefs exercised Dee Ford's option.

Dorsey said 2nd string QB is currently on the roster, which means nothing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Timby posted:

According to the Chicago Tribune, though, the Bears actually asked Glennon to attend their draft party at Soldier Field and didn't tell him about their Trubisky plan, which just seems like 31 flavors of completely, utterly believable "lol bears."

Counterpoint: In what world do the Bears owe Glennon any goddamn loving thing. He's a stopgap QB on a contract which amounts to consecutive one year deals.

He's gonna get a year to show what he can do and prove he should be a starter. If he does then great, and you figure it out with him and Mitch.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Chiefs exercised Dee Ford's option.

Dorsey said 2nd string QB is currently on the roster, which means nothing.

Ford's option is fine. Is he saying the second string QB is on the roster meaning Mahomes isn't technically on the roster yet so he isn't second string (the other option is he's third string) or...what? I don't understand the comment.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I think he means Alex Smith's backup (who shouldn't be Mahomes) is on the roster, and it's probably Tyler Bray

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah that's fine too then. Unless it's Stave. Did you know Joel Stave is on the Chiefs roster?

I did but forgot. And I don't like this new world where I know he's there.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Huh, I didn't even realize we had released Aaron Murray and that he's now a Ram

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder if I can sneak a self-immolating monk into my avatar without going over the file size limit.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The source for this story being false is... Ryan Pace. I really doubt that, true or not, Ryan Pace would ever admit that Fox was out of the loop, especially with the blatantly negative reaction over that story.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Jamaal Charles going to find a home?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wandler20 posted:

Jamaal Charles going to find a home?

Maybe not until training camp, but if he can pass a physical someone will give him a shot.

There's no real news about it that I'm aware of but it's possible he's asking for guaranteed money and no one will give it to him? Which would be understandable.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Has there been a situation where a team has traded a boat load of picks to move up to get a guy only for him to be drafted by another team before them.

Last year got me thinking what would have happened if the Eagles moved up to get Wentz only for the Rams to draft him. Do teams work out "back room deals" for this not to happen or is it all honour and hope based?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

sorry bro

quote:

The Chicago Tribune reports Mike Glennon felt "cheated on" following the Bears' trade up for Mitchell Trubisky.

It's a story as old as football, but that's not to belittle Glennon's reaction. Handed $18.5 million guaranteed after holding Jameis Winston's clipboard the past two seasons, Glennon had every reason to believe he was going to be the Bears' starter. He had zero inkling of what was coming in the draft. Glennon should still be under center in Week 1, but the clock has already been started. The Bears might end up with the quarterback result they need, but the process has not been sound.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Who the gently caress cares.

gently caress em. If he can't beat out a loving rookie then he doesn't deserve to start.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dexo posted:

Who the gently caress cares.

gently caress em. If he can't beat out a loving rookie then he doesn't deserve to start.

Yes but the mere fact there's a number 2 overall pick sitting behind him that they spent way too much capital to acquire is going to create artificial pressure on his performance. instead of going somewhere he can grow within system, the knives are going to come out for him the first time he stumbles

see Brees, Drew

except they came out better on the qb trade.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Ches Neckbeard posted:

RG3 was already cut. Day 1 is Kessler and will be all season. Kizer doesn't see the field this year unless everyone dies again.

Tradition would call for Kessler to start three games before getting hurt and then Kizer start six and not win and then get hurt, and then Kevin Hogan to start 3 and get hurt, just in time for Kessler to return and finish the season and win two games fooling us into thinking there is hope for the next season and winning just enough games to not get an elite QB in the draft.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Maybe not until training camp, but if he can pass a physical someone will give him a shot.

There's no real news about it that I'm aware of but it's possible he's asking for guaranteed money and no one will give it to him? Which would be understandable.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/859115759510974470

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
That's not ideal

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
:allears:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
every time Jamaal Charles played a few snaps last season there would be a report a few hours later about how his knees started swelling. Both knees are pretty hosed, I doubt he will ever really play again, I think Elway is just doing this to gently caress with me personally

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Yes but the mere fact there's a number 2 overall pick sitting behind him that they spent way too much capital to acquire is going to create artificial pressure on his performance. instead of going somewhere he can grow within system, the knives are going to come out for him the first time he stumbles

see Brees, Drew

except they came out better on the qb trade.

If Glennon can't handle that there is no way he had a chance to survive in Chicago anyway.

This was always going to be a one year thing.

His contract was structured from the jump in such a way that he could be jettisoned with the Bears only paying him 16 million for one year. He knew what he signed up for.

He was always gonna get one year to prove himself as worthwhile to get brought back to finish out the next 2 years of the contract.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

SHOAH NUFF posted:

every time Jamaal Charles played a few snaps last season there would be a report a few hours later about how his knees started swelling. Both knees are pretty hosed, I doubt he will ever really play again, I think Elway is just doing this to gently caress with me personally

I hope he gets a lot of guaranteed money from the Broncos before his knee falls off again.

Such a terrible way for his career to end.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News wrote a lot of words about Whaley/McDermott, but this pretty much sums it up:

quote:

Whaley's virtual disappearance from public view after McDermott's arrival wasn't a coincidence. It was a fulfillment of a condition of McDermott's employment.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/01/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-new-gm-wont-change-structure/

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Players are assets and not human beings

- A reasonable person

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
lol at Glennon feeling cheated while getting $18 million for being mike Glennon

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Intruder posted:

Players are assets and not human beings

- A reasonable person

Shrug. Life sucks.

There is no super competitive position in the world where your job is safe. In those positions you ask to get paid what you are worth, which is what Glennon did. You then prove that you are the best option available while on the job.

I didn't say he's not a human. I get him feeling bad, I probably would too, but There are 32 positions open in the world for starting QB in the NFL. And he knows he signed a deal specifically based around the fact that he could be let go after a year, it's not like he got a long term commitment and then suddenly Trubisky was drafted.

The Bears aren't going to give someone they just signed the heads up about "Hey we are looking into drafting a QB top 3" because that's a great way to have poo poo leak from an unhappy player.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

He's upset and you're here to say "Tough poo poo" over and over

No one is claiming his job should be 100% protected, but it's not some moral failing on his part to be unhappy with his replacement being drafted immediately and without any heads up. "Leaks" notwithstanding they could at least say something before the pick is announced or hell, once the trade was made

e: I will say you seem to be a bit of an apologist considering you previously claimed third round picks have little to no value so the trade was fine

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

fsif posted:

Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News wrote a lot of words about Whaley/McDermott, but this pretty much sums it up:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/01/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-new-gm-wont-change-structure/

The biggest red flag in all of these Bills articles of the last few weeks is how overly involved Pegula is in the football operations side of things. That's bad juju right there.

• Locked thread