Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Intruder posted:

He's upset and you're here to say "Tough poo poo" over and over

No one is claiming his job should be 100% protected, but it's not some moral failing on his part to be unhappy with his replacement being drafted immediately and without any heads up. "Leaks" notwithstanding they could at least say something before the pick is announced or hell, once the trade was made

They couldn't tell him or contact him easily because he was in the middle of a Bears Draft party.

I understand him being unhappy, but I don't think it's some massive failing on the front office for not cluing in the dude they literally never met before signing him in the offseason(that might be the massive failing tho).

Pace went out of his way to talk about how much they like Glennon in the press conference after the first day of the Draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I love you Jamaal. That is why I need you to not pass that physical.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

quote:

e: I will say you seem to be a bit of an apologist considering you previously claimed third round picks have little to no value so the trade was fine

Not an apologist. I'm fully expecting Trubisky to suck and the Bears to continue to be bad, and for nothing to change.

But I'm fine with the trade as the action of a GM making a stand and signing his name to that poo poo. If he believes this dude is a franchise QB then I won't give a drat about some third round picks.

I am 100% okay with him putting himself on the cover of SI in a Wedding Dress, knowing that if when he fails he's fired.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CyberPingu posted:

Has there been a situation where a team has traded a boat load of picks to move up to get a guy only for him to be drafted by another team before them.

Last year got me thinking what would have happened if the Eagles moved up to get Wentz only for the Rams to draft him. Do teams work out "back room deals" for this not to happen or is it all honour and hope based?

I think the MMQB article was pretty clear on how that works: the Bears made an informal agreement to trade up assuming their guy was there. So the first pick happens, the Bears say "yes, our guy is still there, lets pull the trigger." If the Browns had drafted Trubisky, they'd have called up, said they were planning on drafting Trubisky so the deal was off.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Dexo posted:

"I'm 100% okay with my team making a bad, dumb decision that will fail"

lol yeah, ok sure buddy

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
It's ok because the GM will be fired!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

lol yeah, ok sure buddy

Yep.

I'd rather they fail spectacularly have everyone who failed get fired and then have this garbage Ownership group get another chance to roll the dice at finding a GM who hires a coach and to find players.

Rather than the slow non spectacular slow leak failure where you can get tricked into seeing something that's not there and then everyone sticks around longer than they need to.

Nov 6, 2002

I believe there's a third choice you're overlooking.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The Third choice available now is Mitch is actually good and the Bears finally have a QB who will worth a drat. the odds on that(or most drafted QBs tbh) are slim.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

The Third choice available now is Mitch is actually good and the Bears finally have a QB who will worth a drat. the odds on that(or most drafted QBs tbh) are slim.

Hey man Glennon could be good too! And what if they're both good!

That is A Good Problem To Have.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Glennon is and will be good at one thing, air mailing passes 5-10 yards out of bounds.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

:laffo:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Maybe don't pick QBs from the state of North Carolina

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Blitz7x posted:

Maybe don't pick QBs from the state of North Carolina

Rivers and Wilson are both good though

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Don't pick QBs from any state.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

The question is not if Derek Anderson is worth a first, but how many firsts he's worth.

Savaged!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Metapod posted:

Rivers and Wilson are both good though

:agreed:

Garrard (ECU) wasn't bad either.

Oh, and Sonny Jurgenson (Duke) is in the HoF.

Nov 6, 2002

I can't believe someone would pay $30k to sit in a draft room for a day.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Bigass Moth posted:

Don't pick QBs from any state.

Remove QBs. Wildcat formation only.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

:ssh:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dexo posted:

The Bears had a QB who was worth a drat for years, too bad they never had a line to protect him but still wanted him to run an offense of slow developing plays

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Sign a poo poo-tier QB and then accumulate as many picks and talent around that poo poo-tier QB as possible for 2 seasons, THEN trade your entire draft away for a first round QB. That sound be the blueprint for every awful team.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Spintzel posted:

Remove QBs. Wildcat formation only.

Back to the old days when every play was a run.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Intruder posted:

The Bears had a QB who was worth a drat for years, too bad they never had a line to protect him but still wanted him to run an offense of slow developing plays

Yea. Orten really got screwed.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

DariusLikewise posted:

Sign a poo poo-tier QB and then accumulate as many picks and talent around that poo poo-tier QB as possible for 2 seasons, THEN trade your entire draft away for a first round QB. That sound be the blueprint for every awful team.

The Texans until this season relentlessly ignored that final step

Then probably traded up for the wrong QB

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Bigass Moth posted:

Don't pick QBs.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was prepared to get behind Watson but I have to say that velocity scares me a lot.

edit:

https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/statu...ine-qb-velocity

kiimo fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 1, 2017

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Intruder posted:

The Texans until this season relentlessly ignored that final step

Then probably traded up for the wrong QB

You have Hopkins, Fuller and Miller which is a good WR/RB combo, Fedora seems like a decent enough tight end. No idea what the Texans O-Line looks like.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

DariusLikewise posted:

Nothing says "we're going to be a good team" like not being able to add good young talent around your young QB through the draft!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think the Bears made like three bad choices at QB over the last month, but if Trubisky works out, then it's fine, I just think it's not very likely he works out.

Like, fine, I get moving on from Cutler, and giving Glennon the upfront contract because it's short term and you can move away from it if Glennon sucks in a year. But now if Glennon's great next year... do you get rid of that? Do you dump Trubisky? If he's good do you?

But then trading 3 picks to move up one spot to draft another QB is insane, because why wouldn't you just keep Cutler in that case? He can eat poo poo and boos all day until Trubisky is ready, and it's not like Glennon's going to help the new guy at all either.

And if you're going QB, why spend $18m on Glennon instead of franchising/signing Alshon Jefferies so your new guy has someone who owns to throw to?

Also if the John Fox stuff is true then the most likely scenario is the Bears are pretty bad next year, he gets fired and then you hire a new coach who gets to inherit a 2nd year QB he likely won't be very invested in?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

Like, fine, I get moving on from Cutler, and giving Glennon the upfront contract because it's short term and you can move away from it if Glennon sucks in a year. But now if Glennon's great next year... do you get rid of that? Do you dump Trubisky? If he's good do you?

You franchise Glennon and trade him, or sign him to a long-term contract and trade Trubisky. It's not a bad problem to have.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

Nothing says "we're going to be a good team" like not being able to add good young talent around your young QB through the draft!

Says the guy who's team plopped a rookie QB into the literal perfect situation for a QB. I think it's backwards to let your young quarterback get pummeled behind an awful offensive, lose confidence with terrible WRs/TEs and have no one to lean on without a decent running back. To me it makes sense to assemble those pieces first and give your young QB a chance to succeed out of the gate.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Dexo posted:

Dude, shut the gently caress up already.

There's nothing good about the pick the Bears made. Not for the front office, not for Glennon, and not even for Mitch. The front office looks and operates like a joke (which has monetary implications and makes the place look undesirable to FO talent), Glennon's going to be looking over his shoulder and playing for a GM who doesn't want him, Mitch will be playing for a coach who doesn't want him and thrown out to the wolves too early, their development will get caught in the crosshairs of a political FO feud, and players' agents around the league will take note and tell their guys not to go there.

There's nothing to defend here. Best case scenario is one of Glennon/Mitch manages to keep their head on straight during this shitshow and develops into the QB the Bears want them to be.

Worst and most likely case? Everything gets blown up and you've wasted this year, as well as some of next year's draft picks.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TheChirurgeon posted:

The more details get filled in about this story, the better it gets.

From MMQB:

The 49ers basically wanted Thomaas but needed so much help they were willing to trade down to get more picks even if it meant losing him and they ended up getting a bunch of picks and giving up literally nothing in return.

I'm still in awe that the Niners did something not self-destructive and came out ahead.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

I can't believe someone would pay $30k to sit in a draft room for a day.

Jed York

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Looks like Marathe is the smart one in the Niners FO

That makes a change from a few months ago.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

David Carr has a better more accurate arm right now than Pat Mahomes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTDRfsMDs35/

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kalli posted:

I think the Bears made like three bad choices at QB over the last month, but if Trubisky works out, then it's fine, I just think it's not very likely he works out.

But then trading 3 picks to move up one spot to draft another QB is insane, because why wouldn't you just keep Cutler in that case? He can eat poo poo and boos all day until Trubisky is ready, and it's not like Glennon's going to help the new guy at all either.

And if you're going QB, why spend $18m on Glennon instead of franchising/signing Alshon Jefferies so your new guy has someone who owns to throw to?

Also if the John Fox stuff is true then the most likely scenario is the Bears are pretty bad next year, he gets fired and then you hire a new coach who gets to inherit a 2nd year QB he likely won't be very invested in?

Glennon is under contract for 3 years. The contract is just set up such that the Bears can jettison him whenever with little cap impact if needed.

If Glennon is great(lmao) next year you keep Trubisky as a backup being able to scout him in practice and judge whether or not he's any drat good or not. While Glennon continues to play well.

If Glennon is still great after year 2(wake me up), then you have to judge Glennon vs Trubisky and it's on your self scouting to determine if Trubisky projects to be better than Glennon is, and how likely it is Glennon will regress. You still have 3 more years of Trubisky on a rookie deal as a Backup so you would probably extend Glennon to market value for QB's at the time, and then wait and see what you get from Trubisky.

Nov 6, 2002

John Brown posted:

Dude, shut the gently caress up already.

There's nothing good about the pick the Bears made. Not for the front office, not for Glennon, and not even for Mitch. The front office looks and operates like a joke (which has monetary implications and makes the place look undesirable to FO talent), Glennon's going to be looking over his shoulder and playing for a GM who doesn't want him, Mitch will be playing for a coach who doesn't want him and thrown out to the wolves too early, their development will get caught in the crosshairs of a political FO feud, and players' agents around the league will take note and tell their guys not to go there.

There's nothing to defend here. Best case scenario is one of Glennon/Mitch manages to keep their head on straight during this shitshow and develops into the QB the Bears want them to be.

Worst and most likely case? Everything gets blown up and you've wasted this year, as well as some of next year's draft picks.

My guess: After two years Glennon, Pace and Fox will all be gone in Chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Diva Cupcake posted:

David Carr has a better more accurate arm right now than Pat Mahomes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTDRfsMDs35/

I wish one would have hit Heath right between the eyes

• Locked thread