Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Skip My Posts posted:

dc won the fight

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I.N.R.I posted:

dc will beat him rather badly if the osp fight is anything to go by. maybe he just got out of the wrong side of the bed for it but i personally doubt it

I've seen his a lot, but drug testing issues aside, what was quantifiably different in your eyes from the OSP performance than the Rashad Evans performance?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Snowman_McK posted:

Also, isn't tearing a ligament basically a crippling amount of pain?

Not necessarily. One of my exes found out last year that she'd been walking around with a torn ACL for a couple of years.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

A lack of roids could be to blame for Jones's performance, but ring rust and a sudden change in opponent could also be to blame. Coming from the node based fighting camp, the sudden change in opponent probably threw off a lot of the prep they did for that fight. OSP does hit hard and did connect on Jones clean early in the fight if I remember correctly. He may have just chosen to play it safe after eating that punch early in the fight.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

I've seen his a lot, but drug testing issues aside, what was quantifiably different in your eyes from the OSP performance than the Rashad Evans performance?

i didnt see his fight against rashad, but although osp didnt run him close he looked slow and frankly a little uncoordinated in some parts of the fight, maybe it was ring rust after a layoff, but if someone like tkz can come back looking strong then a natural talent like jones seems like he should come back looking better still. plus cormier has been doing really well recently

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Jones looked a little slow and was tired at some points in the OSP fight. Post jackson jones is usually pretty slow because he waits for people to engage him mostly and has always used a style where he bursts hard and then moves to a slower pace and repeats but in the OSP fight he looked a little less in control of it. I'd probably blame his time off hobby of power lifting more than anything else.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Work Friend Keven posted:

Jones looked a little slow and was tired at some points in the OSP fight. Post jackson jones is usually pretty slow because he waits for people to engage him mostly and has always used a style where he bursts hard and then moves to a slower pace and repeats but in the OSP fight he looked a little less in control of it. I'd probably blame his time off hobby of power lifting more than anything else.

yeah, clearly he needs to pick up the coke habit again.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
and to be honest i dont think ring rust is such a huge issue in mma, at least not layoffs of a year or so. since fighters only compete twice a year or so anyway. tkz had 2+ years off and had some rust but was still world class. cruz should have been rustier than anyone but still looked as good as ever after his layoff. woodley had time off before winning the title. and khabib. these are all top 10 fighters and champions as well and its not boxing so its not like they had the luxury of choosing a fight. but everyone handles situations differently i suppose. but even if it is ring rust then that just means he will probably be rusty against cormier too since the osp fight was over a year ago

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Jones admitted (which means nothing) that he had rust in that fight, and kept on visualizing what to do, but then didn't do it.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I hope a pregnant woman runs him over with a car.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I think of all the fights coming up this summer, aside from the insanely sick Holloway Aldo match up on Saturday, I'm most excited for the pain golem Justin Gaethje's debut.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/5/2...-next-10-fights

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really want MM to take the TJ fight and win. As a MM fan I don't want him to break the title defense record with a win over a nobody. TJ would be MM's biggest win by far and cement his legacy in a way that beating Ray Borg simply cannot.

So here's hoping either MM beats TJ or Borg beats MM.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

tesilential posted:

I really want MM to take the TJ fight and win. As a MM fan I don't want him to break the title defense record with a win over a nobody. TJ would be MM's biggest win by far and cement his legacy in a way that beating Ray Borg simply cannot.

So here's hoping either MM beats TJ or Borg beats MM.

What do you think is his best win so far?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Knocking out Joey B is probably his best win.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Dodson

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

1st AD posted:

Knocking out Joey B is probably his best win.

I agree.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Jones also discussed how he completely stopped training striking to focus on bjj so it's safe to assume his career is over

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
dunno who gave me this lovely rear end avatar but i got a av cert someone sent me anyway, owned bitch

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
i was about to post that i'd love to see conor and cody, two of the cockiest dudes in the sport, fight at 145 but then i looked up the reach difference b/w the two and lol

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

This owned, it's a shame Cody has inherited the bantamweight curse by loving Cruz and will forever be plagued with injuries.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tezcatlipoca posted:

What do you think is his best win so far?

First round finish of [then] undefeated Henry Cejudo. Second place is knocking out Benavidez.

I also think Henry clearly beat JB and losing the decision was highway robbery. Joey himself admitted Cejudo was more effective but maybe the judges liked that Joe never stopped throwing, even if he was whiffing almost every strike.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

threeagainstfour posted:

I think of all the fights coming up this summer, aside from the insanely sick Holloway Aldo match up on Saturday, I'm most excited for the pain golem Justin Gaethje's debut.

I love Gaethje, hope he does well

or at least goes out there and collects reward bonuses

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/870373242804072448/photo/1

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I found a notable performance highlight from Garbrandt's life outside the cage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaKxRN2LdEI&t=16s

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015

threeagainstfour posted:

Jesus. That man's fighting style is completely insane and awesome. The Palomino fights are some quality banging.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
How the gently caress is chiesa an underdog to Kevin Lee? Put me in charge

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Gay Horney posted:

How the gently caress is chiesa an underdog to Kevin Lee? Put me in charge

In charge of what, oddsmaking? Because technically you can be, by funneling in several thousand dollars on Michael Chiesa in Vegas.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Yea I meant odds making. But the joke is on me cause chiesa is only a dog in a couple places. I don't see how Lee has any hope against him, he's not super developed yet imo

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
bet a lot of money on him and be rich

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
I like Kevin Lee and I hope he KO's one half of the retroactively whiniest TUF finale ever

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Noctone posted:

Not necessarily. One of my exes found out last year that she'd been walking around with a torn ACL for a couple of years.

gently caress, that's crazy. I was thinking of someone I knew, but then I remembered that he managed to sever three of the four ligaments in the knee, was essentially crippled for a year and a half, and more or less went crazy in that time. He's probably a bit of an outlier.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Knee injuries like that take a lot out of you. They also happen a lot when you're training with another, more minor injury.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Manuwa v Oezdemir booked for UFC 214.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Skip My Posts posted:

dc won the fight

Hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
New thread is up! Can't remember whose title idea I used, so thanks to you know who you are.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822468

Chris Camozzi's contract expired and they didn't bother renewing it lol.

• Locked thread