Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

I want to get brain damage and have gay sex. Wait I didnt mean it like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

I have to check for the tattoo to know which one is which sometimes.

The massive difference in torso size didn't tip you off? Keep in mind the belts are the same size and look how snug Stipe's is.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Memento posted:

The massive difference in torso size didn't tip you off? Keep in mind the belts are the same size and look how snug Stipe's is.

It's easy to tell after a glance, but when they're wearing the same shorts and have similar heads and haircuts, welp.

Thanks, Reebok.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
A few interesting things from Ariel H.'s podcast, Anderson Silva said when he signed his contract with the UFC. He was told that he would fight GSP, if GSP ever came out of retirement. Also Anderson said that if his next fight isn't vs Romero *for an interm belt*, Anderson will retire.

e: and apparently: Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua calls for fight with Anderson Silva: 'If I had two entire months, I would take it. I have a lot of respect for Anderson, but I would take the fight'

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 1, 2017

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Fozzy The Bear posted:

e: and apparently: Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua calls for fight with Anderson Silva: 'If I had two entire months, I would take it. I have a lot of respect for Anderson, but I would take the fight'

That would be an extremely cool fight

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i feel like stipe is going to get the record for title defenses at heavyweight and i also feel like he's not that good

It's more that he has few real areas of excellence, but even fewer areas of major weakness. Most heavyweights are a couple of good things coupled with some gigantic drawback. In that, very particular sense, he's like Fedor, who was defined primarily by his lack of crippling flaws.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Props for Anderson in putting together and amazing combination of words

"That is perfect bullshit"

(Talking about Bisping/GSP)

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Snowman_McK posted:

It's more that he has few real areas of excellence, but even fewer areas of major weakness. Most heavyweights are a couple of good things coupled with some gigantic drawback. In that, very particular sense, he's like Fedor, who was defined primarily by his lack of crippling flaws.

His two most obvious strengths are his durability, especially his chin, and his amateur boxing background. The story on his boxing is that he was brought into Strong Style to be a sparring partner for someone because of his wrestling, and he took to boxing so fast he was in some kind of national Golden Gloves thing within a year. Most heavyweight wrestlers learn they can hit hard and start looking for the knockout, but Stipe moves and feints a lot, and he uses that triple jab. Not that he can't hurt someone if he sits down on his punches, but he's a really disciplined striker who tears people up through volume or baits people into charging him with jabs and leg kicks (not that he's a great counter striker, but he hits with precision moving backwards which is how he took out Werdum and Arlovski). Because he counts on volume so much, his conditioning is really good. He barely uses his offensive wrestling at all, and honestly isn't great at it. His tendency to get dropped every fight is sort of like an early Michael Bisping thing, where his chin is so good he counts on it too much. In fact, he's basically a less refined Bisping in his style. Cardio, chin, and accurate volume striking.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fat Twitter Man posted:

His two most obvious strengths are his durability, especially his chin, and his amateur boxing background. The story on his boxing is that he was brought into Strong Style to be a sparring partner for someone because of his wrestling, and he took to boxing so fast he was in some kind of national Golden Gloves thing within a year. Most heavyweight wrestlers learn they can hit hard and start looking for the knockout, but Stipe moves and feints a lot, and he uses that triple jab. Not that he can't hurt someone if he sits down on his punches, but he's a really disciplined striker who tears people up through volume or baits people into charging him with jabs and leg kicks (not that he's a great counter striker, but he hits with precision moving backwards which is how he took out Werdum and Arlovski). Because he counts on volume so much, his conditioning is really good. He barely uses his offensive wrestling at all, and honestly isn't great at it. His tendency to get dropped every fight is sort of like an early Michael Bisping thing, where his chin is so good he counts on it too much. In fact, he's basically a less refined Bisping in his style. Cardio, chin, and accurate volume striking.

His hands and game planning are good, but he doesn't, for instance, have the freakish speed and power of someone like JDS, who just teleports across the octagon. He's got a good chin, but not a peak Mark Hunt 'wear Crocop's headkick and grin' type chin. His wrestling is solid, and he sets it up really well, but he doesn't have DC or Cain's 'they get their hands on you and you fall over' type wrestling.

Again, he's a solid, say, 8/10 at a bunch of things. What he really lacks is the giant glowing red button of a weakspot that virtually all heavyweights seem required to have.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Snowman_McK posted:

His hands and game planning are good, but he doesn't, for instance, have the freakish speed and power of someone like JDS, who just teleports across the octagon. He's got a good chin, but not a peak Mark Hunt 'wear Crocop's headkick and grin' type chin. His wrestling is solid, and he sets it up really well, but he doesn't have DC or Cain's 'they get their hands on you and you fall over' type wrestling.

Again, he's a solid, say, 8/10 at a bunch of things. What he really lacks is the giant glowing red button of a weakspot that virtually all heavyweights seem required to have.

Agreed with that. I was just trying to stay that his amateur-style boxing plays really well to his attributes, plus it's a really unique style that most heavyweight head hunters have trouble dealing with.

And I forgot to mention his most obvious strength. He may have the best GNP in the UFC. If he gets on top of someone, he finishes them.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Fat Twitter Man posted:

agree w/ all except the last bisping comparison. Hes got lots more knock out juice than bisping. Also hes more refined striking than bisping IMO... bisping only circled 1 direction the majority of his career.

diesiel
Aug 11, 2012
that'd be clockwise here and counterclockwise in Australia

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

diesiel posted:

hahahaha

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

diesiel posted:

lol

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
A joke learned in a toilet store no doubt.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Which fights has Stipe really used his wrestling other than the Hunt fight? Which I've tried to block from my memory.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
gently caress that fight. Everyone involved except the fighters can suck my dick.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Hunt vs Miocic and Lesnar were sincerely the lease I've ever enjoyed watching the UFC, outside of the average brazillian throwaway TV card

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Memento posted:

Everyone involved except the fighters can suck my dick.

you'll never make it in the UFC

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Hunt vs Miocic and Lesnar were sincerely the lease I've ever enjoyed watching the UFC, outside of the average brazillian throwaway TV card

the brazilian card where the hometown guys kept getting nuked and they had to clean dead moths off the canvas with packing tape in between the fights was one of my favourite shows ever

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FishBowlRobot posted:

Which fights has Stipe really used his wrestling other than the Hunt fight? Which I've tried to block from my memory.

He used a Cain esque clinch and dirty boxing in the jds fight to a lot of success.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the brazilian card where the hometown guys kept getting nuked and they had to clean dead moths off the canvas with packing tape in between the fights was one of my favourite shows ever

That was legitimately hilarious. Was it even outdoors? I think it might have just been a loving lovely arena.

Edit: I found some vague reference to it in the thread from January last year. I just wanted to point out how we climbed such hopeful heights back then.

Lloyd Boner posted:

UFC 200 is gonna be good.

Memento fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 2, 2017

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

LMAO what? Which event was that?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

LMAO what? Which event was that?

UFC Fight Night 69

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

That momentous show was an extraordinary outlier we could all use more of

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't recall that happening at Joanna/Penne at all.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

I.N.R.I posted:

UFC Fight Night 69

Liar

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_Fight_Night:_Bigfoot_vs._Mir

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
"The event saw a record 10 of 11 underdogs win, following the first bout.[9] This cost online gambling site Bovada nearly $1 million, including a $48,291 payout on a $1 parlay."

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Should have parlayed $10

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Bundt Cake posted:

bisping only circled 1 direction the majority of his career.
So do most people?

It's generally safer to move away from someone's power hand, and since most fighters are orthodox, they spend most of their careers circling one direction by default.

This is an especially weird thing to pick up on, because one time Bisping did decide to mix it up and circle the other way was against Hendo... and he walked straight into a right hand for his trouble and spent the rest of the evening moonlighting as an amateur astronomer.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

tooterfish posted:

So do most people?

It's generally safer to move away from someone's power hand, and since most fighters are orthodox, they spend most of their careers circling one direction by default.

This is an especially weird thing to pick up on, because one time Bisping did decide to mix it up and circle the other way was against Hendo... and he walked straight into a right hand for his trouble and spent the rest of the evening moonlighting as an amateur astronomer.

He spent most of his career circling to his left, into the power hands of orthodox fighters.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

tooterfish posted:

So do most people?

Nah

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I need to find it, but I cut together a video of Bisping getting caught by right hands due to circling to the left.

I know Kang and Rivera clipped him, in addition to Hendo

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
And his corner pleading at him to stop circling into Hendo's punch which I assumed they worked on during that camp.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Didn't loving Mayhem have him briefly rocked in their fight with a right hand?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

big money big clit posted:

He spent most of his career circling to his left, into the power hands of orthodox fighters.
LOL, okay that's fair enough.

In that case I still don't think "spent most of his career circling only one direction" is a valid criticism of his style though... it wouldn't be a problem if it weren't the wrong direction. :mmmhmm:

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 2, 2017

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Tezcatlipoca posted:

"The event saw a record 10 of 11 underdogs win, following the first bout.[9] This cost online gambling site Bovada nearly $1 million, including a $48,291 payout on a $1 parlay."

Sick...

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

tooterfish posted:

LOL, okay that's fair enough.

In that case I still don't think "spent most of his career circling only one direction" is a valid criticism of his style though... it wouldn't be a problem if it weren't the wrong direction. :mmmhmm:

sort of is since there are left and right handed people in the world,

its just a misunderstanding because bispings badness is beyond belief. It is much easier to believe that I was dumb and wrong than a professional fighter would be as bad as Bisping was. Completely understandable mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

LobsterMobster posted:

I need to find it, but I cut together a video of Bisping getting caught by right hands due to circling to the left.

I know Kang and Rivera clipped him, in addition to Hendo

Eric Schafer and Elvis Sinosic both beat his rear end for awhile so they probably dropped him with rights

• Locked thread