Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Bispings pretty old too to be fair.. hes only a few years younger than Silva and a bunch older than Rockhold. Hes been fighting for a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If you dont love Bisping as champ and how he got there you're a bad mma fan

Hth.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Hth.

Got kept around for years because they desperately wanted the UK market, and he kept screwing it up so consistently that they got desperate enough to give Dan Hardy a title shot. Meanwhile, he would get swept by Brian Stann or have to really blatantly cheat against Jorge Rivera. Then everyone else disintergrated a little faster than him and then he purposefully avoided any meaningful title defences?

How inspiring. Robbie Lawler has the actual inspiring unlikely champ story that we're pretending Bispin has.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

BlindSite posted:

Hth.

Agreed, he's terrible but that left hook was one of the most beautiful moments in mma.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
rockhold was less handsome when he was on steroids. they gave him big jaw bloat and the weird sideways gut that is like one of those fake 3d images that looks like it has extra dimensions from certain angles. steroids give yolked people the jawlines of people fatter than they are.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gay Horney posted:

rockhold was less handsome when he was on steroids. they gave him big jaw bloat and the weird sideways gut that is like one of those fake 3d images that looks like it has extra dimensions from certain angles. steroids give yolked people the jawlines of people fatter than they are.

That's a chin, not a jawline, dude.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Snowman_McK posted:

i am beset on all sides by trolls

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Nick, Nate, and Gilbert are on this week's episode of "Anthony Bourdain; Parts Unknown."

We get to learn what they ate growing up, mac cheese, hotdogs, and beans.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Nick, Nate, and Gilbert are on this week's episode of "Anthony Bourdain; Parts Unknown."

We get to learn what they ate growing up, mac cheese, hotdogs, and beans.

Now I want Cody Garbrandt to get interviewed by Salman Rushdie. I can't imagine it'll be any less weird.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm pretty sure Bourdain is good friends with the Diaz bros. He has been training BJJ for a while now.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Snowman_McK posted:

Anderson Silva is old, Luke Rockhold fought like an idiot, Dan Henderson is even older. Two of those still nearly finished him.

We keep having this discussion as if there isn't a clear answer.

he deserves the credit for the rockhold win. he overcame his own poo poo to beat that guy.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

manyak posted:

Bispings pretty old too to be fair.. hes only a few years younger than Silva and a bunch older than Rockhold. Hes been fighting for a long time

Yeah hes way old

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Rockhold fought basically the same way he did in the first fight, when he trounced Bisping soundly, so it seems silly to say he fought a stupid fight.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

BlindSite posted:

Hth.

Fair play to him, he adjusted his style from his losses, took a fight on short notice against overwhelming odds and became the champion. Then he proceeded to undermine the legimacy of his accomplishment at every opportunity by taking a fight from the legends circuit, then demanding a fight as fast as possible into ducking jacare because that was TOO soon into not taking a fight for 10+ months. Bisping sincerely seems to have turned a corner and it's utterly frustrating not to see him show it.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Snowman_McK posted:

GH can change your face, is that what the guy was on about?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Snowman_McK posted:

Now I want Cody Garbrandt to get interviewed by Salman Rushdie. I can't imagine it'll be any less weird.

"No disrespect but I heard someone declare that you have a fatwad and I'm going to eat it up."

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

big money big clit posted:

Rockhold fought basically the same way he did in the first fight, when he trounced Bisping soundly, so it seems silly to say he fought a stupid fight.

He didn't take bisping seriously and that jab he lunged in with was so lazy

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Nah, the first fight he picked him off at range with kicks. The second he waded in as if his boxing defence isn't poo poo (his boxing defence is poo poo)

Charles Gnarwin posted:

"No disrespect but I heard someone declare that you have a fatwad and I'm going to eat it up."

This post is loving amazing.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

He didn't take bisping seriously and that jab he lunged in with was so lazy

He literally looked like he thought he was sparring with a non fighter on bully beatdown he was so blase.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

hahaha

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Well Bisping took the fight on short notice and it was Rockholds to lose and he lost. Cant be at your best every night, theres a reason why really long win streaks are impressive even if you arent fighting the best of the best, especially when youre the champ and everyones gunning for you. The fight definitely "counts"

As far as ducking Jacare goes. Jacare fought someone good for the first time in the post USADA era and looked like poo poo and got hosed up. If hes ducking anyone now its Romero (also a steroid cheater) or Whittaker (basically bisping but better at everything)

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

everyone at middleweight is 40 years old or more and sucks just like heavyweight. that's why Bisping & Miocic look the same in the pics

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

handsome only face posted:

everyone at middleweight is 40 years old or more and sucks just like heavyweight. that's why Bisping & Miocic look the same in the pics

Yeah the situation outside of like the top 5 is really insanely lovely right now for every division MW and above

Johny Hendricks has one fight at MW following 3 straight losses at WW -- he took Lombard to decision. Lombard is 0-4 in the past 3 years with two brutal KO losses and a pop for steroids. Hendricks is the 12th rated MW

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

manyak posted:

Yeah the situation outside of like the top 5 is really insanely lovely right now for every division MW and above

Johny Hendricks has one fight at MW following 3 straight losses at WW -- he took Lombard to decision. Lombard is 0-4 in the past 3 years with two brutal KO losses and a pop for steroids. Hendricks is the 12th rated MW

Amen

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

manyak posted:

Whittaker (basically bisping but better at everything)

The two have nothing in common stylistically. Definitely not enough to conclude that they are the same fighter.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Snowman_McK posted:

The two have nothing in common stylistically. Definitely not enough to conclude that they are the same fighter.

there's no need to be that pedantic. they're both well rounded strikers who use wrestling almost exclusively defensively.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

If you say so dude

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Marching Powder posted:

there's no need to be that pedantic. they're both well rounded strikers who use wrestling almost exclusively defensively.

Ehh not really, they both have completely different approaches to striking

And neither is well rounded as a striker.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

1st AD posted:

Ehh not really, they both have completely different approaches to striking

what in the world.... ok guys i concede the point. whittaker is not literally bisping. sorry for the confusion.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

If you're going to be that vague, Bisping and Cain Velasquez are the same fighter. Both hit people, both are fit, and neither has lost to Royce Gracie.

Whittaker's lunging right hooks, mixed in with feints into left hands, are really nothing like Bisping's jab-cross-shuffle/occasionally sitting down on counter punches. I'd go so far as to say they're diametrically opposed.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

lightweight is the sickest division and featherweight kind of quietly but not really became great after Conor vacated, even though the interim title thing was stupid and the first in a slippery slope of dumb title poo poo

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

1st AD posted:

lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

If you're going to be that vague, Bisping and Cain Velasquez are the same fighter. Both hit people, both are fit, and neither has lost to Royce Gracie.

Whittaker's lunging right hooks, mixed in with feints into left hands, are really nothing like Bisping's jab-cross-shuffle/occasionally sitting down on counter punches. I'd go so far as to say they're diametrically opposed.

hahaha

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Charles Gnarwin posted:

PotY

manyak posted:

And LHW doesn't even have that.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Idk, I've only watched the fight once but I think Whittaker looked pretty well rounded when he easily got Jacare off of his back and proceeded to smash him with a bunch of different strikes.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 3, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

threeagainstfour posted:

Idk, I've only watched the fight once but I think Whittaker looked pretty well rounded when he easily got Jacare off of his back and proceeded to smash him a bunch of different strikes.

His core strength is ridiculous. He's drat near impossible to keep down. He can also close distance really fast, and he angles his head well as he does it. He looks vulnerable as he lunges, but he isn't.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
In case anyone cares (y'all don't), but here's how old each division is, on average, based on the champ +top 15 ranking setup UFC offers:

Middleweight - 34.375
Heavyweight - 34.125
Light Heavyweight - 32.9375
Welterweight - 32.3125
Women's bantamweight - 31.1875
Lightweight - 30.4375
Bantamweight - 30.375
Featherweight - 29.25
Strawweight - 28.625
Flyweight - 28.4375

Strawweight and flywweight both have 4 fighters that are 25 or younger. The remaining 8 divisions have 7 fighters 25 or younger combined. Straw and fly have 0 people older than 35 (Straw has 34-year old Jessica Aguilar and fly has 33 year old John Moraga). Not only does every other division have people 35+, there are 32, which is enough to fill 2 divisions with Olds.

Despite Dan Hendo's desiccated husk not dragging middleweight down, it's still old as gently caress. There are 3 guys 40 or older (Yoel, Anderson, Vitor) and just 3 30 or under (Bobby Knux, Krzy Jotko and Smile'N Sam).

Heavyweight has 1 dude past 40, the beloved Mark Hunt. and 3 guys 30 or younger - Francis Ngannou, Alex Volkov and Stefan Struve.

Light heavyweight benefits from fictional characters that were invented in the past 3 - 5 years, but Lil Nog, Cormier, Glover, Manuwa, Durkin Donuts and the concept of Shogun's Knees are really dragging the division down into a bog of decrepitude

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Snowman_McK posted:

Nah, the first fight he picked him off at range with kicks. The second he waded in as if his boxing defence isn't poo poo (his boxing defence is poo poo

Rockhold threw like a dozen kicks in the three minutes that the second fight lasted. The second fight happens at a close range because Bisping stays in the pocket more instead of trying to dance around the edge and pot shot. He stands his ground when Rockhold attacks, and throws back. The punch that puts Rockhold down is beautifully set up by a left that gets Rockhold's attention and makes him pick his head up so Bisping can put the right hand over the top. He wouldn't have been there to throw that punch in the first fight because he'd have been back on his bike doing laps around the edge of the cage.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rockhold threw like a dozen kicks in the three minutes that the second fight lasted. The second fight happens at a close range because Bisping stays in the pocket more instead of trying to dance around the edge and pot shot. He stands his ground when Rockhold attacks, and throws back. The punch that puts Rockhold down is beautifully set up by a left that gets Rockhold's attention and makes him pick his head up so Bisping can put the right hand over the top. He wouldn't have been there to throw that punch in the first fight because he'd have been back on his bike doing laps around the edge of the cage.

Sounds like you've watched it more recently than me, so I'll cheerfully concede the point. I do think Rockhold is a bit more willing to press in in the second fight, and was a lot more confident in his hands, but I've lost confidence in my assertion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Dan Henderson won the rematch

• Locked thread