Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

get that OUT of my face posted:

The lack of Fire-types in Gen 1 has nothing on Gen 4. Before you get the expanded Pokedex, the only new Fire-type available to you was Chimchar and its evolutions. It also had Ponyta and Rapidash, giving you a grand total of five.

I'm actually a big Fire type fan (if my name didn't make that obvious enough) so this was really terrible in my eyes. I don't like Chimchar either, so I went through Diamond without a single Fire-type. Thankfully, Platinum was better, and then B2W2 were the first to let you do a mono-Fire run without trading, which I very happily did (Emboar/Darmanitan/Chandelure/Arcanine (my fav Gen 1 mon!)/Camerupt).

And I really liked this course too! It's very firey and it has cool mons. Too bad about the lack of Arcanine or even Growlithe though, and I can't remember if they're in the game at all. With only 63 Pokemon, a lot of Gen 1 got cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Counterpoint: Chimchar actually owns and was maybe the only time in Pokemon where I've come up with a clever name for one of my Pokemon, with my Infernape named Kong-Bak.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I didn't end up playing Gen 4. It just didn't appeal to me. I did end up playing Black and White, but then skipped Black 2 and White 2. I feel like Sun and Moon had a decent amount of fire pokemon. At the very least, Alolan Marowak is really cool.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Warmal posted:

UPDATE

We didn't unlock a new level last time, but we did unlock something else. The ability to use apples. So now it's time to go through some old ground and see what we can do now that we have these delicious non-fruits.

Episode 3 - Beach | Tunnel

Late, but you can get a better Pidgey picture by turning around immediately at the start and taking one as they follow you.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I'm a little behind, but the surfboard on the beach isn't useless. Try leading that Pikachu to it.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I am aware. Maybe It'd be best for me not to try to hint at things in the videos if it's coming across as me not knowing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Man, Oak is a real sadist when it comes to what makes a good picture.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

And in general, going by what I remember one of the other item unlocks being.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He likes Meowth getting owned by Pidgeys, Electrode exploding, and a Magmar being killed to death as well as liking Electabuzz better when KO'd than when conscious.

And that's just so far.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dugtrio was one of three Pokemon that I couldn't find when I would regularly rent the game from Blockbuster. When I read about it, I thought, "drat, why didn't I think of that?"

One of the other two I missed was for an intensely stupid reason, but I'll cross that bridge later.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

Dugtrio was one of three Pokemon that I couldn't find when I would regularly rent the game from Blockbuster. When I read about it, I thought, "drat, why didn't I think of that?"

If it makes you feel any better, I could never find it either.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

I'd love a Snap 2, and with the camera games on the 3DS they could easily have made one! The camera bits in Sun/Moon just whet my appetite for a proper Snap game.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I like that the heretofore undiscovered volcano come to have a warp gate at the end and is called a 'Course'.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Oak is just humoring Todd. He knows perfectly well every single Pokemon that is on the island and every single course. He just told this kid to send him pictures of Pokemon for his "research" when he is just going to sell them to nature magazines and not pay Todd a single cent. How else could he afford to build warpgates and give some kid infinite pokemon food shaped like apples?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Chronische posted:

I'd love a Snap 2, and with the camera games on the 3DS they could easily have made one! The camera bits in Sun/Moon just whet my appetite for a proper Snap game.

It's pokemon go, basically.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

So I hope everyone had their fill of fire Pokemon, because now it's time to jump onto the opposite. And for those that are picking up on Professor Oaks' ill intentions, we get a new item that just goes to show we can't trust this man.

Episode 5 - River

There are a couple hidden Pokemon and special photos left in this course that we will have to return to later to get. And we of course need to find out what to do about that button.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

You got dinged on Size for Psyduck because Size is actually two things: How much of the frame does the Pokemon occupy, and how much of the Pokemon is actually in the frame?

Psyduck's torso and legs were in the water, so Oak thinks you only photographed half of it.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Pester balls are where the game really opens up.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Its also when the game kicks it up a notch. Stsrting to get into the more difficult areas.

Sorites posted:

Psyduck's torso and legs were in the water, so Oak thinks you only photographed half of it.

I didnt know that that was a part of it. Ill need to keep it in mind. Its a good thing we can do something about Psyduck later.

Warmal fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 29, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
To be fair to Oak, he could have just given you rocks to throw at the Pokemon. That was a thing in the Gen I Safari Zone.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Fart bombs are funnier, though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Boy, Oak sure is an rear end in a top hat.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To be fair to Oak, he could have just given you rocks to throw at the Pokemon. That was a thing in the Gen I Safari Zone.

That was to substitute for battle though. With the intention to capture and raise and take care of them. This is throwing things at them for the hope of getting a photo.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Warmal posted:

That was to substitute for battle though. With the intention to capture and raise and take care of them. This is throwing things at them for the hope of getting a photo.

You say raise and take care of them, some say breed them into violent prize fighting monsters that have no choice but to do their masters bidding or spend eternity trapped in a little cybernetic hell ball. Pokemon is a weird and disturbing place when you start to think about it harder than an 8 year old does.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I do believe somewhere it said that Pokemon enjoy the fighting. Most of them anyway. They each have their own personality, but the ones that enjoy fighting use trainers to get stronger, just like the trainer uses them to get stronger. It's a symbiotic relationship.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's okay, they LIKE being slaves.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bruceski posted:

It's okay, they LIKE being slaves.

Grimdark Pokemon is as boring and overdone as hot takes on games get. It's a setting and game made for kids.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Grimdark Pokemon is as boring and overdone as hot takes on games get. It's a setting and game made for kids.
That looked like a joke to me. "Grimdark," on the other hand, is a boring and overused description.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Thankfully, Pokemon Snap isn't grimdark. Though, it kinda feels pretty messed up at times. Such as this new item we're using that is new and "totally safe."

Episode 6 - Beach | Tunnel | Volcano | River

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Purple clouds of mystery gas are "totally safe."

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I was always confused by Porygon appearing in the wilderness. It seems like they should only be in cities.

Also, for what it's worth the purple poo gas doesn't do anything; only the ball itself, and only with a direct hit. So maybe the gas isn't so bad on its own?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sorites posted:

I was always confused by Porygon appearing in the wilderness. It seems like they should only be in cities.

Going by the tunnel, maybe this island was inhabited at one point but was since abandoned?

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sorites posted:

Also, for what it's worth the purple poo gas doesn't do anything; only the ball itself, and only with a direct hit. So maybe the gas isn't so bad on its own?

This is true. Might have been better to make the poo gas green or yellow though.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Warmal posted:

Thankfully, Pokemon Snap isn't grimdark. Though, it kinda feels pretty messed up at times. Such as this new item we're using that is new and "totally safe."

Episode 6 - Beach | Tunnel | Volcano | River

It's not an automated zigzag, you actually move left or right depending on where you aim, in open-ish sections like the end of the tunnel. Looking backwards also slows you down a little.

And I seem to remember you can lead that first Vulpix to the other two for a better photo.

The Poliwags really are the worst though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

The Poliwags really are the worst though.

My pick for the worst is in a later course. Much the same deal as the shellders and magikarp, only the tank's moving much faster.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I played this game so much as a kid I actually went to one of those Blockbuster's where they had the machines that would make stickers out of your in-game photos (I think I picked my Charizard ones?).

Of course, those stickers are long gone now, but I still love the hell out of the game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Scyther was the second of three Pokemon that I never found in my playthroughs. It's pretty well-hidden, since those rustling leaves appear elsewhere.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Scyther is pretty well hidden. You need to use the Pester Ball, if you use the apples nothing happens. And if you don't notice the leaves continue to rustle you'll think it was just the Meowth or Doduo.

LordHippoman posted:

I played this game so much as a kid I actually went to one of those Blockbuster's where they had the machines that would make stickers out of your in-game photos (I think I picked my Charizard ones?).

Of course, those stickers are long gone now, but I still love the hell out of the game.

I put my stickers on my Pokemon Card binder, so I technically still have mine. I should show that off later on.

InspectorSands
Feb 19, 2011

I am here to inspect your kitchen sink!
Apparently there's another Scyther in the second tiny bush that comes after the first one, you might be able to get a closer photo there. Just seems to be hard enough to get, I thought it wasn't possible until I saw a video of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
I love that someone is LPing this game and that so many people share the same childlike joy I once felt for it. It is good to look fondly upon one's past and find it to be pretty OK actually.

I remember getting this back in the good old days when I was rushing hard down Pokemon lane. I got this and Hey You Pikachu for Christmas once! Only one of those games was ever played much at all. :allears:

The poliwags didn't bother me too much as a kiddo. I think I was satisfied with just one decent picture because I was still young and the dread perfectionism of old age hadn't set in yet.

• Locked thread