Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I will try for that second Scyther on my next run through. Nothing should be stopping me from trying. I also got Hey You, Pikachu! And it went mostly unplayed. Maybe I'll do a blind run of it for an LP, though I don't really know how well that would work. And I'd need the microphone to still work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Warmal posted:

And I'd need the microphone to still work.

As if it ever worked :negative:

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We can dream and hope that it had worked. Alas, the technology couldn't live up to those dreams.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Well. Ready to see where that button will take us? Time for us to fly through the cave, and as we all know what's in caves in Pokemon. I really like this course. It was one I played over and over cause it was one of the first courses where I figured out a secret on my own.

Episode 7 - Cave

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yup, that was definitely Bulbasaurs. Absolutely nothing weird with them, nope.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I know. They're absolutely adorable. The best Bulbasaurs really.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I do not remember this level at all from when I was a kid. Can't wait to see all the unique stuff you can do in it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmal posted:

I know. They're absolutely adorable. The best Bulbasaurs really.

They're all good Bulbasaurs, Warmal.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

They're all good Bulbasaurs, Warmal.

All Bulbasaurs are good Bulbasaurs. However, those ones had a bit of a look to them - perhaps they are the goodest?

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

This Bulbasaur just wants to fit in. Great smile. 13/10

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Found a little video on youtube of a guy that likes to break normal boundaries on old video games and take the player/camera places its not meant to go or see. I thought it was pretty neat at showing off a bit of the world of pokemon snap and isn't really spoilery as he doesn't actually take photos of anything interesting or show any of the events to get special pictures. It does show the last two stages, so, i guess there's that. But if you're inclined its a cool video showing off the world of pokemon snap as built by the designers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQLYWeQjAIw

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I just watched this this morning actually. And if anyone already knows what some Pokemon going forward are, and what stages there are left. It's a nice little break. Anyone who doesn't want some things spoiled can wait off till later. I'll relink it again further in the thread.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

There's something existentially disturbing about the fact that the Pokemon on each course behave the same way every time Todd goes to visit.

We know he's making repeat trips because he can have photos from one trip in the Album at the same time as mutually-exclusive photos from another, so it isn't timeline shenanigans.

What's going on :tinfoil:

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The truth is that this is the Pokemon Island from the anime. The one with all the robotic Pokemon. It's meant to be an adventure theme park where you can see Pokemon up close a la safari like. But something went wrong. The tunnel is the remnants of of the control area the workers had. The only one left here is Professor Oak. Is he a survivor? Or is he the cau-

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Warmal posted:

The truth is that this is the Pokemon Island from the anime. The one with all the robotic Pokemon. It's meant to be an adventure theme park where you can see Pokemon up close a la safari like. But something went wrong. The tunnel is the remnants of of the control area the workers had. The only one left here is Professor Oak. Is he a survivor? Or is he the cau-

Weren't the robot pokemon absolutely giant? Or am I thinking of a different episode?

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

They were. I was hoping no one would notice that inconsistency.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nobody said Todd is only 6 feet tall.

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Warmal posted:

They were. I was hoping no one would notice that inconsistency.

No reason to assume there is only one park. Some people might want a more realistic experience than godzilla pokemon for some reason. It certainly explains the rail tracks everywhere.

The question becomes why Oak is making Todd do this. To get a good laugh? To give Todd some training? To falsify data for his research papers?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I like to think there's just a crew of Machoke running in front of Todd, putting down railroad tracks just out of sight.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Seaogre posted:

The question becomes why Oak is making Todd do this. To get a good laugh? To give Todd some training? To falsify data for his research papers?
I say it's because Prof. Oak is a dick. He gets his jollies at seeing a Meowth get beaten up by a Pidgey and brawls between Magmars.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

This is some quality discussion that I'm so glad has come about. I never thought of these implications in the past. Sadly, we won't be having an update this week. I wasn't in a good place yesterday and couldn't get the audio done. We will be back next week though, and we're actually getting pretty close to the end of the game now.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Warmal posted:

I will try for that second Scyther on my next run through. Nothing should be stopping me from trying. I also got Hey You, Pikachu! And it went mostly unplayed. Maybe I'll do a blind run of it for an LP, though I don't really know how well that would work. And I'd need the microphone to still work.

Wait, have you been playing on a real N64? I looked into giving this game a shot some time ago, but for some reason emulators couldn't handle it for quite some time.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Cockmaster posted:

Wait, have you been playing on a real N64? I looked into giving this game a shot some time ago, but for some reason emulators couldn't handle it for quite some time.

You can tell it's not suffering the same problem as the emulators, because the red dot on the viewfinder works.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The red dot working is just one of the clues. There's quite a few problems that the game has. The eyebrows on Electrode float from their faces. Pictures of Butterfree and others just plain do not really work. There's a couple of problems. I actually had started an LP of this game a while ago on emulator. My first Attempt at this game. After getting the N64 working for our Mario Party LP I decided to give it a shot solo this time.

Also. Update tomorrow as per normal again. I've actually finished recording the rest of the game so we'll be finishing up really soon.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

And we've now made it to the last regular level of the game. This level has a lot of pokemon compressed to the beginning of the level and then has puzzles the rest. We also have a split in the path and it's the hardest one to get through. It is actually possible to mess it up which can be disheartening if you were really going for it.

Episode 8 - Valley Two Times

Warmal fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 26, 2017

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
You linked the first episode of the old LP instead of the new video!

The music for the Valley is so good :).

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Im not at all sure how that could have happened. But i fixed the previous link. Thanks for catching that. The music is incredible. Ill be talking about my thoughts on that soon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Valley was my favorite level in the game when I was a kid. Good music and a lot of interactivity with the critters - I felt so drat proud of myself as a kid for figuring out how to open that gate all by myself.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Valley's got bitchin' tunes but as you've shown, it's harder to get all the Pokemon there than in the other levels. You haven't gotten to the last of the three Pokemon that I never got to see as a kid that's in that level, but I'll talk about that when you get there.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I'm curious on which three Pokemon that would be. I think we've seen all but two at this point? But I could be wrong. I recorded this one a while ago.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I mentioned that I've never snapped Dugtrio and Scyther. The last one is in the Valley.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Oh. I thought you meant there were three in the Valley. Well. We'll be seeing that last one soon.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

And here we are in our third to last update. We need to go into the Valley one last time in order to get a special Pokemon. It would have conflicted with my run in the wrap up to get a different special photo so this had to be done.

Episode 9 - Valley One Last Time

And we also get our final item in the game. We had way more points than we needed, I think it was 130000. We just kept unlocking other stuff so it didn't pop up yet.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
That Geodude picture that clearly had a Sandshrew in the middle, or the one where it was the Dugtrio sign that apparently was a Geodude... It reminds me of the times I would collect those kinds of pictures for the personal album in the game, not for Professor Oak but for my own perusal.

I had a "Who's That Pokemon?" bunch of pictures that were specifically designed to throw friends off because of the weird Poke-Algorithm or whatever the game had to tell what was the "focus". I remember in the caves I had a picture of a Zubat and the game focused on the Grimer in the far back that you couldn't see in the dark... Or I had a picture of a Chansey and the game thought it was really an Eevee...

It was a fun time to go through it with other people and see if they could figure out which Pokemon the game arbitrarily chose as the focus, although once they figured out the gimmick they immediately set to the task of looking for any *other* pokemon in the shot. Still a fun diversion regardless.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I've truly never had that happen before. I've had it not register my sign shots before, but never have it pick a completely different pokemon that's no where near the focus? That's really strange. The best way to continue that game of yours would have been to throw in some normal photos along side the weird ones.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

As a stupid kid, I thought that you had to use the Dash Module immediately after Mankey smacks the Magikarp away and make it to the waterfall before it could land there, where it would become a Gyarados. By the time I realized that I had to just play through the level as normal, I had no means of renting Pokemon Snap anymore.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Mankey was always hilarious to me, because in Scots, manky means to be utterly filthy.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Samovar posted:

Mankey was always hilarious to me, because in Scots, manky means to be utterly filthy.

Huh, we have that in Australian slang too. Guess that's where it comes from.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

That Gyarados waterfall was one of the defining moments of my gaming childhood. It helped that I had only watched the Pokemon anime and hadn't played the handheld games, and therefore didn't know what to expect. Seeing Magikarp evolve like that still stands out as a shining memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I never had a Gyarados in the original games, but I had watched the anime before so I did know about Magikarps evolution. It still felt really good when I figured out how to get the picture though.

So, we are going to go collect all the Pokemon Signs, as well as tackle a "secret" stage. I put quotations because I'm not entirely certain how secret it is based off of Professor Oak's reaction.

Episode 10 - Pokemon Signs | Rainbow Cloud

• Locked thread