Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Man. I was hoping more people watched this so I could enjoy their frustration at a movie based on a mediocre book.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I agree with you that the ending has to be last second reshoots, it's not the book ending, but the movie also sets up the weird "we keep every server in a secret tunnel and only you mae know about it and also the tunnel is under a river and has a flooding problem" that never ever comes up ever again.

A Redditor, back when the first trailer came out, was claiming that whatever the original filmed ending was, tested so bad with audiences that they had to rework the entire thing. I haven't seen the movie, nor do I want to until Netflix. Book wasn't good.

General Dog posted:

-Why is getting caught borrowing a kayak without permission such a transformative experience for Mae. She's somewhat skeptical up until that point, afterwards she's been straight up bathed in the blood of the lamb.

My understanding is there's helicopters and poo poo in the movie version of that event. In the book an old lady runs the kayak shack and her son has set up a spycam on the beach for security purposes. He sees her trespass and calls the cops for stealing a kayak at night. It's a quiet calm scene where she stealthily drags the kayak up the beach while cops casually walk up to greet her. She lies, the shack owner shows up just in the nick of time to back up her lie, and Bailey confronts her about it like a day later. I think she panics about losing her job at the greatestest place ever.

If anyone reads this:
- Did they remove both romance sub-plots? It looks like one character was completely removed from the movie.
- Is the giant fish tank from the latter half of the book in the movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

General Dog posted:

Haven't read the book, but

-There are no romantic interests
-There is no giant fish tank, or if there is it had no bearing on the plot.

There are two love interests. One's a guy named Francis who has no listing on the IMDB cast, the other's a guy who hides his identity for most of the story. I'm not sure if this thread is against spoilers.

The fish tank was a godawful, lovely metaphor for how people consume data.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

My new favorite observation is how totally nonsensical the party scene is.

Since I'm having fun seeing how they rearranged the plot, I'll bite. Was this the first party after Mae gets the job? In the book there's a popular riesling wine that she almost misses out on, but Francis has two bottles hidden in a waterfall.

• Locked thread