Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxEzUgoCF3w

This movie wasn't very good and felt like it kept setting up plot threads that went nowhere. But there seems to be no thread about it and I want to talk about this movie so I'm making a thread.

Did anyone see this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The ending especially was weird, because it felt like they were setting up some really dumb "we keep the only servers that run facebook google and have the only copy of the data in this easily floodable tunnel that only you know about" but that never came up again and instead the great revenge was leaking tom hank steve job's emails and like I guess we are just supposed to understand he's totally secret evil so his email definitely has stuff that will definitely sink the whole evil plan. Even though his evil plan seems to be pretty much public anyway and mostly seemed like a bad idea that he thought was a good idea rather than overall evil.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
(this movie made less than 1000 dollars per theater on opening day so I think I'm the only person that watched this bad movie)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Taintrunner posted:

It based off a bad Dave Eggers book that is a ripoff of a book from one of the early Facebook employees (Kate Losse), called The Boy Kings. You should read it instead of seeing The Circle!

At least the book managed some sort of 1984 ending where mae internalizes big brother. The movie just sort of... ends. And we just have to assume transparency destroys the entire company forever I guess?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

General Dog posted:

Some other assorted thoughts about this fantastically bad but also fantastically entertaining movie. I haven't read the book, maybe some of this makes sense in that light.

-Why is getting caught borrowing a kayak without permission such a transformative experience for Mae. She's somewhat skeptical up until that point, afterwards she's been straight up bathed in the blood of the lamb.

-I was shocked to find out that John Boyega's character wasn't completely added on in reshoots. It would be incredibly easy to cut him from the movie entirely- we only ever see him with Mae, and other than one offhand instance toward the end no one else ever even mentions him. He only exists for his role in the ending, and he performs that role offscreen.

-On a similar note, this ending had to be changed in reshoots, right? As I went into in my previous post, I kind of like the ending, but it's totally out of left field. I think the worst cheat is that it's never really set up that Tom Hanks and Patton Oswald are hypocritical to begin with.

-If John Boyega has had the means and desire to leak this information and take down The Circle's leadership for all this time, why did he wait until now?

-Mae's friend Annie starts acting like she hates her out of nowhere for about fifteen minutes, but then when they talk she just says she's overworked and after that they seem alright.

In the book the whole boyega plot is the climax where he does the same "we need to bring down the company!" thing plays out and then mae goes "yes, absolutely, tell me all your plans" then she immediately hands all the plans to the company and you know she is lost forever.

In the Book annie gets jealous of mae and makes her whole family history public to be like, extra double transparent and the DARK SECRETS they find are so shocking they drive annie into a coma.

I agree with you that the ending has to be last second reshoots, it's not the book ending, but the movie also sets up the weird "we keep every server in a secret tunnel and only you mae know about it and also the tunnel is under a river and has a flooding problem" that never ever comes up ever again.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

General Dog posted:

And holy poo poo was Ellar Coltrane bad in this.

I had to look up to see if he was even a real actor he was so bad I assumed he had to be some sort of weird facebook celebrity gimmick casting or something. He may have been the worst actor in a hollywood movie I've ever seen.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
One bit of praise I have for this movie is that some of the on screen "chat" felt super authentic in a way that movie internet stuff normally doesn't.

"I like to fart in bed"/"I'm covered in hair"/"go to sleep forevvvevver"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
My new favorite observation is how totally nonsensical the party scene is.

Like Finn goes to parties that he hates that he absolutely does not need to go to and then hides out in the corner so he doesn't have to talk to anyone and drinks cupcake brand wine that he has hidden secretly in random bushes? Like why would he go to the party? Why does he need to hide his 7 dollar girl wine in a bush? They would clearly let him bring it from his office or whatever. The party already had alcohol. It wasn't like he was sneaking in the hard stuff at some office party.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I figured the secret e-mails were about framing the senator. There wasn't too much focus on that subplot, but the senator wanting to divide their company, then being brought up on corruption charges (or something like that, I forget) while Tom Hanks and Patton Oswalt put in their own senator seemed suspicious.

Did they actually frame him? I sort of assumed they just used their vast surveillance network to take down political rivals. Which seems lovely and creepy but by the end of the movie they had gotten in bed with apparently every government in the world to make mandatory online facebook voting so it doesn't seem like the level of crime that is going to exactly sink them forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Like the writing was abysmal so maybe they made something up whole cloth but reasonable would be that they use their surveillance selectively to get what they want.

• Locked thread