Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MLB.tv Sharing Thread

Jose Oquendo posted:

Well guys, I'm gonna live on the edge another year:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810860

Let's give it a shot and hope for the best.

CLICK THE COOL THING FOR .GIF THREAD

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

I'll donate $10 to the brain aneurysm foundation for every Schwarberror this season, tallied up monthly

I have donated my $0 for April. :toxx:

I forgot how relatively rare scored OF errors are

edit: also that's a killer thread title

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lots of WS teams have had 9 game losing streaks early in the year right

Also I asked this in the previous thread that was closed for no reason pls answer:

So seeing all of these exit velocity charts based on baseballs hit by very large very strong young men....

...How in the hell did Mickey Mantle/Babe Ruth hit ~600 foot HRs? Or is that apocryphal?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Thread title owns

bewbies posted:

...How in the hell did Mickey Mantle/Babe Ruth hit ~600 foot HRs? Or is that apocryphal?

As I remember, someone investigated this as best they could once and determined it was bullshit/people were judging where balls stopped rolling, not impacting.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

Also I asked this in the previous thread that was closed for no reason pls answer:

So seeing all of these exit velocity charts based on baseballs hit by very large very strong young men....

Almost definitely, unless they count rolling distance in which case it's possible.

Poque posted:

edit: also that's a killer thread title
:tipshat:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Explosionface posted:

Thread title owns

As I remember, someone investigated this as best they could once and determined it was bullshit/people were judging where balls stopped rolling, not impacting.

Ted Williams definitely hit the red seat though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah I think where it stopped rolling used to be the thing. Like you couldn't actually prove where the ball bounced, so you just measured from where it ended up.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

As someone who loves puns, yup, yours was better.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
This last Brewers series vs the Braves was tough to watch. Our pitching and defense (especially the bullpen) can't give up these 10+ run games, especially if the offense is consistently getting 4+ runs per game.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Poque posted:

I have donated my $0 for April. :toxx:

I forgot how relatively rare scored OF errors are

Hard to be given an error when you don't get within 10 feet of the ball.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The last Brewers series vs the Braves was great, because Ryan Braun got injured and Freddie Freeman dropped a bomb on Miller Park.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Though Miller Park really paid off this weekend. Holy poo poo that was some bad weather.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Gonna grab some quotes from the end of April's thread because that's how I roll.

bewbies posted:

I dunno about Ruth, but Mantle definitely hit one into the fencing stuff at Yankees Stadium in the upper deck, which was waaaaay up there. The distance measurements are all guesswork, though, educated to a certain degree.

Paul Zuvella posted:

In a perfect world, Headly and Castro will crash back to earth right around the time that Bird and Sanchez pick up steam.

It's all part of the plan.

The biggest fear I have is that Aaron Judge is the next Frenchy and it haunts me at night.

Headley is already falling off, but maybe Castro doesn't crash back to earth. He has 3 seasons right near .300/.340/.430 with wRC+ of 100 or better.

Judge has a good idea of the zone and a better hit tool than people give him credit for. I think the bigger issue for him is umpires not adjusting the bottom of the zone to compensate for how tall he is, which is something you can already kind of see happening. He's got a big enough zone without it being expanded artificially.

EDIT: Hey look BP must read these threads http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=31723

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 1, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Inspector_666 posted:

I dunno about Ruth, but Mantle definitely hit one into the fencing stuff at Yankees Stadium in the upper deck, which was waaaaay up there. The distance

Josh Gibson hit a home two feet above the old facade at the 'old' Yankee Stadium in 1937 for the Homestead Grays, which technically beats Mantle's homer, but since it happened in a Negro League game, no one counts it.

He's also said to have crushed one out of Yankee Stadium back in '34, also in a Negro League game, which if true, makes him the ONLY baseball player to crush a ball totally out of Yankee Stadium twice.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 1, 2017

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Cubs are 13-11 instead of 17-5 like they were last year on the morning of May 1. At least they're still in first place. :toot:

They're 2nd in the NL in OBP, which doesn't surprise me. What does surprise me is they're also 2nd in the NL in team ERA. But that's skewed because it's been entirely their bullpen that's been doing all the work. Their starters have an ERA of 4.28. The pen's is 2.87.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

iospace posted:

As someone who loves puns, yup, yours was better.

There's also a possible riff on a classic: I'm tho Thor I can hardly pitch

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Ted Williams definitely hit the red seat though.

Supposedly it is possible, as there was a strong wind blowing out that day.

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/historic.php?id=1946_2

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Headley is already falling off, but maybe Castro doesn't crash back to earth. He has 3 seasons right near .300/.340/.430 with wRC+ of 100 or better.

Castro's BABIP is .386. He's definitely going to regress some.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Julio Cruz posted:

Castro's BABIP is .386. He's definitely going to regress some.

Oh for sure he'll come down, but he's at .352/.398/.549 so some regression would still mean he can put together a good season, and it's not like it would be unprecedented for him.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Mets/status/859063648714579969

it's gonna be a lot more than 10 days

mets

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mets are in lat place

Mets

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Poque posted:

The last Brewers series vs the Braves was great, because Ryan Braun got injured and Freddie Freeman dropped a bomb on Miller Park.

freddie freman seems like a huge baby but also braun is a huge baby for throwing his shinguard at the umpire. miller park owns.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I mean, that's amazing news for Thor. It's not his elbow.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean, that's amazing news for Thor. It's not his elbow.

Yeah when I got to "partial tear" I was already filling in the rest.

However, this is the same thing Matz had in 2015...

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Ice To Meet You posted:

Supposedly it is possible, as there was a strong wind blowing out that day.

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/historic.php?id=1946_2

I love that Glenallen Hill's rooftop shot also made Hittracker's list of historic homers. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wDrw76ieTs

Although I'm pretty sure the longest homer ever hit at Wrigley was by Dave Kingman, estimated 540 feet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vFMwBESelg

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I love that Glenallen Hill's rooftop shot also made Hittracker's list of historic homers. :allears:

Bo's first home run made it too.

How is it I can't find a better video of that than this?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Anyone goon go to any of the "Pitch Talks" events? It's in Philly next week and I'm debating if I should go. Anyone read Keith Law's "Smart Baseball?" He's peddling it and I'm wondering if there's anything new and exciting in it or its just classic Kieth Law?

http://www.homestandsports.com/upcoming-shows/2017/5/8/pitch-talks-philadelphia

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros make the playoffs last year if they have this Keuchel instead of last year's version

I'm so glad he's unbroken :unsmith:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Anyone goon go to any of the "Pitch Talks" events? It's in Philly next week and I'm debating if I should go. Anyone read Keith Law's "Smart Baseball?" He's peddling it and I'm wondering if there's anything new and exciting in it or its just classic Kieth Law?

http://www.homestandsports.com/upcoming-shows/2017/5/8/pitch-talks-philadelphia

I went to the Brooklyn Pitch Talks event and it was a lot of fun even though it was very Mets-centric (I knew that going into it, not like they "sprung" that.)

I'm wondering the same thing about Smart Baseball though. As a guy who knows what OBP and wRC+ and WAR are, I don't know if I really need to read a whole book about why saves and RBIs are flawed stats.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Contract the mets

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

They were in the World Series literally two years ago

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

Yeah, contract the Royals too.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

With their young pitching talent, they have nowhere to go but up!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Guys I think the Indians are really good.

Lindor is going to be a great player.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Rad Valtar posted:

Guys I think the Indians are really good.

Lindor is going to be a great player.

I saw some offseason question about which young SS you'd want to build a team around - Correa or Lindor - and in my mind it felt like such an obvious choice for Correa. Lindor really looks superb though. Lotta fun young talent in the league.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Gift Ngoepe wrote a piece for the Player's Tribune and you should definitely read it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

So he was right to not get an MRI on his arm because it wasn't the issue. :v:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Poque posted:

I saw some offseason question about which young SS you'd want to build a team around - Correa or Lindor - and in my mind it felt like such an obvious choice for Correa. Lindor really looks superb though. Lotta fun young talent in the league.

Seager. :colbert:

Also, that thread title is fantastic.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

freddie freman seems like a huge baby but also braun is a huge baby for throwing his shinguard at the umpire. miller park owns.

How is Freddie a huge baby?

Poque posted:

Also don't forget Matt Kemp's 3 dinger day - I was at that game on Saturday and it was awesome. Drove up from Chicago just to see the Braves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Freeman made comments saying the Miller Park was like a little league field because it had poor lighting and he felt he could never see the ball well. Which is pretty funny.

• Locked thread