Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/FanRagMLB/status/859257107039756289

what the gently caress is wrong with you, Boston

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

the popes toes posted:

n: O's and Boston's bad blood just got simmering again as Baltimore's Bundy tags Betts with a HBP. There's a lot of stinkeye coming from the Boston dugout and the on-air guys say it's not going to take much more to clear the benches.

v: this kind of aggro between two rivals gives a certain undeniable spicy attraction to the play and I loving hate to think a player could get injured but I'm fascinated at the same I can't help myself.

(I don't remember what season it was but when Tampa and the Sox cleared their benches at each other at the slightest provocation it certainly was a reason to watch them play. Not a good reason, but...and below is an unforgettable illustration of how much they hated each other )

Wasn't that '08 or '09? Everything about that ruled. The one game where Jonny Gomes (who was basically the enforcer) ran in from right field and did a flying tackle on the Sox player who did a dirty slide was the best.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

quote:

BOSTON -- Baltimore Orioles All-Star center fielder Adam Jones was berated by racist taunts at Fenway Park while a bag of peanuts was thrown at him Monday night, calling it one of the worst cases of fan abuse he has heard in his career.

“A disrespectful fan threw a bag of peanuts at me,’’ Jones said, “I was called the N-word a handful of times tonight. Thanks. Pretty awesome.’’

Jones, one of just 62 African-Americans on opening-day rosters this year, said he has been subjected to racist hecklings in the past at Fenway Park, but said this was one of the worst experiences of his 12-year career.

Keep it classy Boston.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Ryan Goins hit the ever rare 2-run sacrifice fly last night. Also the Jays are finally out of last place in baseball.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Probably more to do with the park than the staff.

The dinger dome is a long way from a pitcher's paradise.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
N: https://twitter.com/Noahsyndergaard/status/859245651296632832

V: I'm still mad at him, but only because I love and miss him :smith:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Reminder for the new thread that Pancakes, Inspector_666, and myself will be meeting up in Wicker Park, Chicago, this Saturday (May 6) for lunch. If you're interested in joining us, shoot me a PM.

Bonus points if you can also come up with a good joke that begins with "a Cubs fan, a Cardinals fan, and a Yankees fan walk into a bar". :v:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

I like the part in Fastball where a physicist explains why it's impossible for a fastball to actually rise and the perception comes from a disconnect between the balls actual speed and what the brain expects it to be, then it cuts back to Bryce Harper who goes "nah man it rises, I dun see it. Maybe those eggheads should step in a batter's box."

Was it Hank Aaron who was like "you tell me bob gibson's fastball didn't rise you pussy academic" although he was more eloquent than that

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

sharknado slashfic posted:

Keep it classy Boston.

Plus the left field fans faking out the O's fielder with an "I got it!" If only right field were up to some shenanigans last night, maybe organizing a fundraiser for the Wahlbergs or something, it could just be a whole outfield worth of awful New Englanders.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Reminder for the new thread that Pancakes, Inspector_666, and myself will be meeting up in Wicker Park, Chicago, this Saturday (May 6) for lunch. If you're interested in joining us, shoot me a PM.

Bonus points if you can also come up with a good joke that begins with "a Cubs fan, a Cardinals fan, and a Yankees fan walk into a bar". :v:

I was going to say "And ESPN covers it for three hours" but, well, not anymore...

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Carlos Martinez is getting rid of his silver hair extensions. I imagine the Best Fans will only be pleased.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Pancakes posted:

I was going to say "And ESPN covers it for three hours" but, well, not anymore...

They'll still cover it, but it has to be during a game involving at least one of the teams and they show it instead of the game footage.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

will_colorado posted:

I'd like to say I'm shocked but y'know, it's Boston so.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

will_colorado posted:

Goddamnit you loving fucks, get the gently caress out and stop making GBS threads things up for the rest of us. I hope they find those dudes and ban them from the park.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
i'm 99.999% on Adam Jones' side here, the other 0.001% of me is laughing at his suggestion that the offending fans get fined $30,000

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Poque posted:

i'm 99.999% on Adam Jones' side here, the other 0.001% of me is laughing at his suggestion that the offending fans get fined $30,000

It's a banana, how much could it cost, ten dollars?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

As we speak, our fellow countrymen are rolling the new Kabletown couches off the assembly line, earning an honest day's pay so they can go to the store and buy milk for their families, which costs, I don't know, $90 a gallon?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Nobody walks out

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

To whoever was asking if a rec league baseball/softball thread would be warranted, I would be all about it. My body is too broken to play hardball anymore, but I'm on a slow pitch softball team, and I absolutely love it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RCarr posted:

To whoever was asking if a rec league baseball/softball thread would be warranted, I would be all about it. My body is too broken to play hardball anymore, but I'm on a slow pitch softball team, and I absolutely love it.

someone :justpost: and then say something about it in here and I'll put a link to it in the OP

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

When you stare into the void...

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

"He orders a Bud Light."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
He may have gotten shelled last night but at least Anderson's twitter game is on point.

https://twitter.com/BAnderson3737/status/859270772241702914

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

howe_sam posted:

Goddamnit you loving fucks, get the gently caress out and stop making GBS threads things up for the rest of us.

There's a rumor going around, a quiet whisper, that Jones will get a standing O when he either comes on the field or takes his first AB. That would rock pretty loving hard.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

the popes toes posted:

There's a rumor going around, a quiet whisper, that Jones will get a standing O when he either comes on the field or takes his first AB. That would rock pretty loving hard.

I saw people on SonsofSamHorn trying to get that going and it would be great if it happens.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Conversely, there's no shortage of people, including local Alt-Right dipshit Turtleboy, accusing Jones of making it up.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Intruder posted:

When you stare into the void...

We have a nice shiny new 2017 GIF thread that you can post that to, just so you know :)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

YeahTubaMike posted:

We have a nice shiny new 2017 GIF thread that you can post that to, just so you know :)

I knew I forgot a link in the OP, thanks for the reminder

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
No problem! I'm getting better at this shameless self-promotion thing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Judge and Toe are rebels, will not abide by your "No Borrowing Uniforms" signs.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

THIS TEAM IS SO FREAKIN FUN

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What next? 5 O'clock stubble???

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

quote:

"He's got a look on his face sometimes, it's a little Norman Bates here and there," manager Buck Showalter said, referring to the fictional murderer in Alfred Hitchcock's classic thriller. "Norman Bates is probably a little too strong. You know [Tillman is] listening to you, but he's pissed off about something."

Old quote. Still funny.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Old quote. Still funny.

Showalter is apt to mumble just about anything. He once, in a conversation regarding what traits to look for when drafting, recommended against drafting any player with freckles. Because you see, no great player in the history of the sport has had freckles.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

drat I would have come if I wasn't going to be out of town (again). Y'all need to check out Tapster, went there last week and its pretty sweet.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I will be cooking a grilli cheese for dinner, tonight. I'm thinking if I cook it during the 6th inning break it'll be ready just in time for me to slam it down on the floor when he blows the save, tonight.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

will_colorado posted:

http://deadspin.com/cc-sabathia-says-every-black-player-expects-racist-taun-1794851777

CC chimed in, said yup, that happens.

Also, from the comments:

quote:

Setting my alarm for 530AM to get the full 4.5 hours of Kirk and Callahan on WEEI with the HOTTEST TAKES. It’s going to be great. You’ll get Sully from Carver with his “I have a black friend” take. You’ll get Ben from Manchester who once sat in the out field in Fenway in the 1980s and NEVER HEARD A RACIST COMMENT, so THEY NEVER HAPPEN. You’ll get Jimmy from Dorchestah: “Listen, Kirk. My people wah slaves too ya know. We wah forced to come to Americah and wahk hahdah than any othah immigrants. My pa’s pa had ta wait last befah he could drink from the bubblah when he was scrubbin’ bahahcahls offah ships laid up in Fall Rivah.” Then Curt Schilling will call in and the full stupid will kick in.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Wannabe Altuve/Gomez picture :colbert:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Poque posted:

They should be fined imo

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

the popes toes posted:

Every Bostonian needs to wear ashes and sackcloth for a week imo

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They should be fined imo

There's no way the stadium or team would realistically be able to enforce it except to ban them from the stadium until it's paid - then you have people bitching about free speech without actually understanding what it is.

I instead submit that they should have their pictures taken and posters be hung with their pictures and "I'm a stupid dumb racist" printed on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
How about just a lifetime ban from Fenway, so you don't send the message that it's ok to shout racial epithets as long as you're wealthy

• Locked thread